Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 10:37   #31
BHPian

Re: My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C

Well congrats, and I totally agree with vishwasvr that "We cannot afford to buy everything that we see." - I wanted a Jag XF 5.0 V8, but ended up buying s80 as I couldn't afford to shell out 90L +

It's a myth that people who buy a BMW, Merc, Audi, or Volvo have too much money to spend; the bitter reality is that most of us have saved every penny to get our hands on a luxury car, and still paying the EMIs.

A4 is highly underpowered so it never manages to compete with 320d or C220, but then those who prefer a combination of style, elegance, and refinement go for it, though at the cost of power punch!

I'm one of those who'd have bought A4 over 320d (in fact, had booked the A4 on Nov 30, and cancelled due to unprofessional behavior of a guy at showroom, and you can read about it in a separate thread), but then I realized that I wanted more power, and took the s80 3.2 petrol
OmThoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 19:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Nice review there!

I thought I wouldn't like this car in any other colour but the Red, but you proved me wrong :P The white looks smashing.

Really liked your way of putting across the father-son discussions! Not too long ago, I had a similar Accord v/s Superb discussion with my Dad. And we got the Accord. Wish I had let him drive the Superb - even though I made him sit in the back seat, hoping that he'd love the comfort there, it turned into a decision for the Accord. For practical purposes of reliability.

Hope you have a smooth ownership of the 320d.
Congratulations!

Cheers,
Sam
Thanks a ton Sam! Yeah I sort of liked the white too after I saw it.

Well the Accord is a fantastic car I'm sure! Thanks once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
Well congrats, and I totally agree with vishwasvr that "We cannot afford to buy everything that we see." - I wanted a Jag XF 5.0 V8, but ended up buying s80 as I couldn't afford to shell out 90L +

It's a myth that people who buy a BMW, Merc, Audi, or Volvo have too much money to spend; the bitter reality is that most of us have saved every penny to get our hands on a luxury car, and still paying the EMIs.

A4 is highly underpowered so it never manages to compete with 320d or C220, but then those who prefer a combination of style, elegance, and refinement go for it, though at the cost of power punch!

I'm one of those who'd have bought A4 over 320d (in fact, had booked the A4 on Nov 30, and cancelled due to unprofessional behavior of a guy at showroom, and you can read about it in a separate thread), but then I realized that I wanted more power, and took the s80 3.2 petrol
Thanks a lot mate! I agree with you too! I know how careful my dad was with his first car-Premier Padmini! I haven't seen any change in his outlook/approach toward the Beemer either!

Sadly I haven't driven the A4 so it would be unfair to comment on it.

Yes I read your post and I feel very strongly against such behavior here in India. I would have given him a piece of my mind had he done that to me.

Anyway, glad that you're loving your S80!
Old 6th April 2013, 13:20   #33
BHPian

Congratulations @vishwasvr for your Beemer. My cousin has bought 320d Luxury Line yesterday. I'll post my review on it as soon as he get the delivery (i.e. 11th April).

The options were Audi A4 and the 3 (No C-Class as he already has E-Class at home). He was more keen on buying the Audi but I convinced him to TD the Beemer as he will be mostly self-driving it and he immediately booked the 3 after the TD.

I have also suggested him to trade in the OE RFTs with Normal Tires & spare wheel for better ride but that decision is still pending.

Do share more details and even more pics!

Regards
Shantanu
Shantanu1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 16:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 View Post
I have also suggested him to trade in the OE RFTs with Normal Tires & spare wheel for better ride but that decision is still pending.

Do share more details and even more pics!

Regards
Shantanu
Hi Shantanu,

The new 320d has 3rd Gen RFTs which are far better than earlier models. Although still not as comfortable as regular tires.

When you go in for a replacement do inquire ( and tell us ) about a couple of things.
1. BMW now gives a free tire insurance for 1 year. Which means that they will replace the tires free of cost if there is any damage to them in the first year. They also give you the option to trade in the tires at the end of 1 year , after depreciation according to how much your tread has depleted, they'll charge you the difference and give you a fresh set of tires under this scheme.

I would assume this would not be valid if you change the tires and get something from the open market. Do tell me what you think of this.

2. Do share the cost of replacement. I was considering the same option but local tire dealers seem to be offering very low prices for the RFTs I was trying to trade in.

3. If you are going in for a replacement go for a larger size 225/50/17. The company gives you 225/45/17. Have spoken to many local tire dealers who are saying that they're getting a lot of customers complaining about dented/crooked/bent alloys on beemers as a result of the bumpy roads (i believe there are some threads on tbhp as well) . A very good way to eliminate this would be larger tires with larger side walls whichll also add to the comfort of the ride.

Cheers
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 14:16   #35
BHPian

Thanks a lot Bluebeem for the details. We spoke to the BMW dealer. He gave us the same information. The insurance will cover up the tires for 1 year or 20,000 kms whichever is earlier.

If we change the tires with aftermarket ones then it wont be covered up under warranty. Also any bent / dent / damage on alloys will not be dealt under warranty after changing the original tires. Hence he is sticking to the original RFTs and will consider changing them after he drives the car for 20,000 kms.

Regards
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:34   #36
BHPian

Congrats vishwasvr The F30 is no doubt the finest BMW 3 Series. I remember driving the 2002 version of the car, after an hour of driving, I was floored. Nothing, absolutely nothing came closer in terms of sheering driving dynamics. It was as if, I could feel the wheel turning inch by inch and giving me that precise feedback as to where the car was heading, and on speeds well above 140 kmph. No doubt, the 2012 version is not going to be any behind in the handling department. You are surely going to enjoy every km that you drive in this car. Be it in traffic, as its a head turner, or be it on open highways. Enjoy the car mate, drive safe and fly low.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 17:44   #37

Congratulations! She's absolutely beautiful.

I will possibly be picking up one of these later this year (fingers crossed!). Looking to the OTR price in Mumbai, I will most possibly opt (settle?) for the base line as opposed to the sports/ luxury line.

Could you let me know if the baseline has the daytime running LED corona lights? I understand this variant doesn't come with xenons, but I was hoping that the LEDs would be there! They are quite a characteristic feature of the F30 and I am sure I will kick myself a year down for buying a variant which doesn't house them!

Do send me a pic of the lights (when turned on) if you could!

Happy and safe driving for many years to come!
jamshedb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
1. BMW now gives a free tire insurance for 1 year. Which means that they will replace the tires free of cost if there is any damage to them in the first year. They also give you the option to trade in the tires at the end of 1 year , after depreciation according to how much your tread has depleted, they'll charge you the difference and give you a fresh set of tires under this scheme.
Cheers
I am so glad to hear this. All this time I'm sitting and wondering, what are BMW doing? There sales figures are plunging, where's the R&D team when you need them the most? They HAVE to research for an alternative for the run flat tires. These tires are a mess. India has bumpy roads, broken roads, sometimes even no roads. We need the best quality tires to endure the test of nature on our beautiful cars, then why not get good tires right? Lot's of times cars are got into india and sold with different specifications, sometimes with different engine tuning and even with different suspension settings. Then why not different tires? It's not really rocket science is it?
Old 1st June 2013, 18:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag911 View Post

I am so glad to hear this. All this time I'm sitting and wondering, what are BMW doing? There sales figures are plunging, where's the R&D team when you need them the most? They HAVE to research for an alternative for the run flat tires. These tires are a mess. India has bumpy roads, broken roads, sometimes even no roads. We need the best quality tires to endure the test of nature on our beautiful cars, then why not get good tires right? Lot's of times cars are got into india and sold with different specifications, sometimes with different engine tuning and even with different suspension settings. Then why not different tires? It's not really rocket science is it?
Lets not forget that the tires play a very small part in absorbing bumps. The majority of the work is done by the suspension. To the disliking of many loyalists, BMW has softened the suspension of the new 3 series quite a bit. I was always a BMW fan but didn't end up buying one because all my friends who own it, said Merc and Audi Is way more comfortable. Now the Beamer is too .

The 3rd generation run flats that Bmw has used in the F30 are quite soft compared to previous generations, but very expensive (approx. 24k per tire).

I do think that BMW is headed in the right direction, but they're still a long way from being absolutely brilliant for Indian Customers. For the same price, Merc and Audi, end up giving you a lot more value for your buck in terms of features and cosmetics. For example, No temperature control for the rear passengers in BMW 3,5, X5 and X6!!! That's something that even an Audi A6 has along with airomatic suspension and lots of other goodies. You spend close to 1cr on the X6 and don't get rear passenger temp control
Similarly there are other basics which BMW may need to get right before they become no.1 again like the 5th wheel in the boot and adequate storage for it, softer suspension in all their other models (at least as an option). It will make their cars less fun to drive, but hey, at least keeping these features as options won't hurt.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 10:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshedb View Post
Congratulations! She's absolutely beautiful.

I will possibly be picking up one of these later this year (fingers crossed!). Looking to the OTR price in Mumbai, I will most possibly opt (settle?) for the base line as opposed to the sports/ luxury line.

Could you let me know if the baseline has the daytime running LED corona lights? I understand this variant doesn't come with xenons, but I was hoping that the LEDs would be there! They are quite a characteristic feature of the F30 and I am sure I will kick myself a year down for buying a variant which doesn't house them!

Do send me a pic of the lights (when turned on) if you could!

Happy and safe driving for many years to come!
Thanks a ton for the kind words jamshedb!

Apologies for the (rather) late reply, but to answer your question, no the baseline doesn't have the corona lights. There are a few things which the baseline misses out on compared to the higher variants. I have a feeling the pricing isn't really spot on when one wants certain equipments. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Congrats vishwasvr The F30 is no doubt the finest BMW 3 Series. I remember driving the 2002 version of the car, after an hour of driving, I was floored. Nothing, absolutely nothing came closer in terms of sheering driving dynamics. It was as if, I could feel the wheel turning inch by inch and giving me that precise feedback as to where the car was heading, and on speeds well above 140 kmph. No doubt, the 2012 version is not going to be any behind in the handling department. You are surely going to enjoy every km that you drive in this car. Be it in traffic, as its a head turner, or be it on open highways. Enjoy the car mate, drive safe and fly low.
Thanks a lot sawnilrules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Lets not forget that the tires play a very small part in absorbing bumps. The majority of the work is done by the suspension. To the disliking of many loyalists, BMW has softened the suspension of the new 3 series quite a bit. I was always a BMW fan but didn't end up buying one because all my friends who own it, said Merc and Audi Is way more comfortable. Now the Beamer is too .

The 3rd generation run flats that Bmw has used in the F30 are quite soft compared to previous generations, but very expensive (approx. 24k per tire).

I do think that BMW is headed in the right direction, but they're still a long way from being absolutely brilliant for Indian Customers. For the same price, Merc and Audi, end up giving you a lot more value for your buck in terms of features and cosmetics. For example, No temperature control for the rear passengers in BMW 3,5, X5 and X6!!! That's something that even an Audi A6 has along with airomatic suspension and lots of other goodies. You spend close to 1cr on the X6 and don't get rear passenger temp control
Similarly there are other basics which BMW may need to get right before they become no.1 again like the 5th wheel in the boot and adequate storage for it, softer suspension in all their other models (at least as an option). It will make their cars less fun to drive, but hey, at least keeping these features as options won't hurt.
That's true to a large extent Bluebeem. My uncle who picked up the highline Jetta some time ago has more features my Beemer!

The RFTs are one of the main reasons why I hesitate to take them out on the highway regularly! The only "long distance" so far I have done is from Bangalore to Mysore and back. And it was such a delight to drive her!

I only wish we had good, straight roads! And I wish there were no cattle on the road, no dogs on the road, no kids running across the road, adults running across the road, no slow moving trucks on the extreme right lane, no vehicles coming in the opposite direction in a one way, no unscientific speedbreakers, no bad drivers cutting across lanes, no bad riders cutting across lanes! Phew! That's a tall order now!

Anyway, I am planning to write up a short review on the miles we've done so far.

Until then, adios amigos!
Old 13th October 2014, 19:35   #41
BHPian

Hello guys,

An update on my car. About 3 weeks ago I got a call from Navnit motors stating that they need to carry out preventive maintenance on the car. They mentioned that they need to remove a grommet in order to prevent water from collecting and also a battery wire needs to be removed. I prodded the mechanic who had come to carry out the work but he probably was having a bad day so he didn't give complete details on why the battery wire had to be removed.

Attached are the pictures I took while the activity was taking place.

I can safely say there was at least 5 litres of water collected in the engine bay thanks to the recent downpour here in Bangalore!
Attached Thumbnails
My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115132.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115158.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115221.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115232.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115436.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115442.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115237.jpg  

My BMW 320d : The Fresh 3 vs The Classy C-20140925_115415.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks