Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2013, 19:17   #1
BHPian

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar

Welcome all BHPians.This is my review of my Sunny XL DCi which has covered 9700 kilometers.This is my second car after my 04 WagonR F10D which has covered more than 60000 kilometers.

What I like about the Sunny:

Superlative rear legroom.
No turbo lag from the engine.
Has all safety features even in the base variant XL.
Good road presence.
Has all gizmos like Automatic climate control,Rear AC vents in XL variant itself
Very fuel efficient.
Soft suspension setup goes through potholes with ease.

What I don't like about the Sunny:

Vague Brakes that are slow to react.
Tyre noise at 120 KPH.
Does not handle well like a Fiesta.
XXL size pane gaps in the bonnet and boot lid area.
Typical Japanese build quality.
No USB port in the head unit.
Rear headroom for 6ft+ is short in supply.

The hunt for a new car:The WagonR was aging well but I wanted a new car because the WagonR is a very basic car and I wanted a car from a whole new segment.The priorities were:

Diesel engine.

Fuel efficient.

Reliable.

High on features.

Decent legroom and boot space.

Decent dealer network.

The cars considered were:

Renault Logan:

Good amount of boot space.
Extremely VFM and cheap.

Dislikes:Boxy styling.
The taxi image of the Logan.
Mahindra's shoddy ASS

Maruti Suzuki SX4:

Big boot.
Maruti's superb ASS.

Dislikes:Old model.
Chances of being phased out.
Didn't want to own a second Maruti.

Tata Manza:
Decent Boot Space.

Dislikes: Tata's ASS.
Old school Tata looks.
No features at all.

Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI

Superb looks.
Lot of features present in Highline,the top variant

Dislikes:Average legroom at the rear
Exorbitant price.
VW spare parts cost a bomb.

Skip to 2011:Many launches took place. Nissan Sunny,Skoda Rapid and Toyota Etios were launched.

Toyota Etios:

Cheap price.
Toyota's reliability.

Dislikes:Boxy looks looks uncannily similar to Logan.
Cheap interior quality.
No features at all.

Skoda Rapid TDI Elegance:

Powerful engine.
Cheaper Vento with similar feature list.

Dislikes:Skoda's horror stories.
Spare parts cost a bomb.

Nissan Sunny:

Likes and Dislikes:Already listed at the top of the page.

Skip to May 2012:Renault Duster was launched. It was the best competitor for the Sunny and Rapid. Saw the feature list,Plastic quality and everything.It looked very different from that of the Sunny. The quality was cheap and was not comparable to the Rapid and Sunny.The Rapid was eventually ruled out because of the horror stories and spare part pricing. I didn't like the Duster so the Sunny was the final choice. Sunny and Rapid were comparable in each and every way but paying a one lac premium for the Rapid was not justifiable at all. We had a final look at the Sunny and the family said this is the car we are going to buy.

Dealership experience:Jain Jubilant Nissan,Vellore are a group of well trained professionals. They deal everything with high amount of professionalism. My SA was very helpful and he will be very useful to you too.

Schemes claimed : 3M Under chassis and car care treatment at every free and paid services.
Nissan Extended Warranty

Booking and Delivery : The car was booked on 12 September 2012 and we narrowed down to two colors,Blade Silver and Sapphire Blue. Blue was very nice but my father told it is silver.The car was booked,Three days of sleepless nights,Wondering how the car would be.We told him not to register the car by himself as we wanted a PDI of our car. I took the Team BHP PDI chekclist with me all were good. No scratches and niggles were present.The dealer told me wait until 5:00 PM as it was an auspicious time of the day. He explained me all the controls of the car and also came to my house to check whether we could park the car in the house.

My review of the caaar after 9000 kilometers :

Engine:The Sunny is powered by the K9K engine which is found in many other cars like Nissan Micra,Renault Pulse,Renault Duster,Nissan Evalia,Renault Scala Mahindra Verito,Renault Fluence. This engine runs at a higher state of tune when compared to the Micra,Pulse and Verito.This has 8 valves and is chain driven.This is a SOHC [Single Overhead Camshaft] engine.Refinement levels of this engine is top notch.Open the bonnet and you don't see any damping but still it very refined.There is no turbo lag at all and power delivery is very linear.But rev the engine and it gets gruff.

Gearbox:The gearbox is pretty notchy to engage.1st and second are are notchy. 2nd to 3rd is okay while 3 4 and 5 are very smooth to engage.The gear ratios are spread unevenly for the efficiency factor. Clutch has the perfect amount of travel.The gearbox seldom demands a downshift when you cross a speed breaker. The ECU is also tuned in such a way that it lugs at low speeds in 5th gear.

Build Quality:The build quality is okay,You can live with it.Yes,it is not as solid as a Rapid,Linea or a Fiesta.The paint quality is top notch and beats that of the Vento.The panel gaps are okay except for a few areas like the bonnet and boot lid. The doors shut with a mild thud.I was happy that the Sunny was not as flimsily built like a Dzire or Etios.

Interior of the Sunny:This is the main reason why the Sunny is called the Caaaar. It has all the goodies like ABS,EBD,BA and Airbags. The plastic quality is soft touch and does not have any rough edges. Cutting of plastic is also very good. The steering wheel has thumb contours to rest your thumb fingers on. The round A/C panel might look a bit odd but it looks good for my tastes. The ergonomics are very good and might make you lazy if you sit in a basic car like a WagonR. Legroom at the rear is awesome and it beats a Skoda Superb easily. The glovebox is pretty large but is not as large as a Rapid. There are a lot of storage compartments and cubbyholes. The fabric upholstery is very soft textured looks and looks very good too. The Head unit too goes pretty well with the dashboard plastic. Thus,the finish is uninterrupted. Under thigh support and rear headroom is short in supply but if you strech your legs and slide your body forward,The headroom issue ends. The tagline must read "Travel Business Class in the Caaaar" in the advertisement.

Suspension:The suspension is tuned for comfort. It absorbs potholes with ease. Ground clearence is not an issue at all.The Sunny has a soft suspension and is not as stiff as a City iVTEC or a Linea T-Jet.

Highway mannerisms of the Sunny:The Sunny's highway mannerisms are just like how a regular family car's behaviour must be. It's not as worst as a Verna where the car behaves like a boat.The Sunny is a neutral handler. The steering is light which aides city and expressway driving for the non-enthusiast.

Brakes:The brakes are mediocre and do their job properly.I was feared about how the brakes would work after reading team-bhp reviews.But surprise...The brake pedal was proper and did not feel spongy at all. Thankfully,Nissan has cured this thing for my car. But I have listed about the brakes in the What I Don't like about the Sunny section as many Sunny owners complaint about the brakes.In my honest opinion,The Sunny's braking is fine.

ICE of the Sunny:Hardcore ICE fanatics would tell the Sunny's ICE is satisfactory. It is not as weak in the Linea though many would have liked to have an USB port. Sound quality is pretty good though not as good as a Fiesta. Sound quality and features will totally get 8 marks from my side.

Boot Space of the Sunny: The Sunny's boot is awesome. The loading bay is deep and wide. The space is rated @ 490 liters but I think it's even more larger than that. Despite having loads of legroom, The Sunny's boot is also very large.

Looks:The first criteria in India when it comes to buying a car is it's looks. The Sunny's looks don't look as quirky as the Dzire or the Etios.The front is very appealing and makes it look like a baby Teana.The side profile too is very large,making it look like a baby Mercedes S class. The rear end is pretty bulky and gets it's inspiration from the W221 S Class. But it does add some character to the rear end. Rear end does look pretty sharp due to some subtle creases.

Conclusion:If you want to travel club class in an inexpensive manner,The Sunny is the best choice. Overall the Sunny is a no fuss and reliable way of business class transportation.

Will keep all of you updated as the miles click on.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Attached Thumbnails
My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-copy-dsc03110.jpg  

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-dsc06487.jpg  

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-dsc06169.jpg  

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-dsc06189.jpg  

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-dsc06170.jpg  

My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar-dsc06489.jpg  

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 11th March 2013 at 20:58.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 22:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny XL DCi.The Caaaar.

List of accesories bought for the car:

P.U Seat covers
Full floor mat
Nissan Transparent mat
Blackened B pillar
Reverse Parking Sensors (Xenos)
Reverse Parking Camera (Dapic)
Door Visors
Custom perfume
Boot Mat
AUX Wire.
Garware Transparent sunfilm.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th March 2013 at 07:39. Reason: Removed bold from post.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny XL DCi.The Caaaar.

I am Glad to show gratitude to the following BHPians for helping me in my purchase of the Sunny:

kaush666
aroonanand
AbhiJ
Visaster
GTO.

Their reviews helped me a lot in my purchase of the Sunny.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2013 at 09:09. Reason: Typo
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 09:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Nissan Sunny XL DCi - The Caaaar

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 10:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the gettting home the Caaar.

The tyre noise will go once you swap them to the comfort tyres like Yoko AVS DB, Michelin PLC.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the caaar.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 17:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the gettting home the Caaar.

The tyre noise will go once you swap them to the comfort tyres like Yoko AVS DB, Michelin PLC.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the caaar.

Thanks nkrishnap.Can you tell me some more options than the PLC and AVS DB.I think the XM2 will be equally good as the PLC.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 14th March 2013, 13:04   #7
BANNED

Wishes for the another club class caaaar

What was the OTR?
sivadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 16:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
Wishes for the another club class caaaar

What was the OTR?

The OTR in Vellore and Chennai is 9.05 lakhs for the Sunny XL.The XV costs 9.85 lakhs.All the best for the caaar.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 14th March 2013, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy of one of the most practical and well specked sedans on offer in our market in these times and also to the preview shots of your new ride.

Do post more pics and keep us posted on the ownership experience over time and yes enjoy your ride!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 17:37   #10
BHPian

Update:The Silver Streak has done 10000 km in 6 months.Exactly the amount of kilometers the manual has requested me to do in 6 months.The Caaar is due for service in 15 March.Will post an update on that when the service gets completed.

Cheers.

Achyuth
Old 14th March 2013, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Sunny Achyuth. Nice pictures!. What is the average mileage you achieved in city and highway? Please keep us posted on your service experience.

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow, nice shots Achyuth.
Congrats on getting the caaarrr.
Could you please let us know more about this "car care treatment", did you need to something extra for it. What all is included in this "car care treatment"

Anyways, drive safe and keep the thread updated .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Wow, nice shots Achyuth.
Congrats on getting the caaarrr.
Could you please let us know more about this "car care treatment", did you need to something extra for it. What all is included in this "car care treatment"

Anyways, drive safe and keep the thread updated .
Thanks Schoudhury.All they do is apply polish,clean the exteriors and add some paint sealant to the vehicle.I got this for free.They also add cladding to the wheel wells and also apply under chassis coating to the underbody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Congratulations on your new Sunny Achyuth. Nice pictures!. What is the average mileage you achieved in city and highway? Please keep us posted on your service experience.

LOTHAR

Thanks a lot Lothar.My Sunny gives me 17 in city and 23 to 24 in highway (tankful method).My service has still not got over.Will keep all of you updated on the service.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th March 2013 at 07:40. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 15th March 2013, 00:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
My Sunny gives me 17 in city and 23 to 24 in highway (tankful method).
Achyuth
Wow, Nissan cars are famous for their amazing mileage and this one is not any different. How is the ride & handling when cruising at the speeds of 100kmph and above?

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 12:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car, just a quick check on the NVH levels inside the car when running. I have heard from fellow Tbhpian Sidhu that the engine noise gets into the cabin pretty bad when the car is running. Do you feel the same? Also, what is that cladding you talked about being put in the wheel well?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks