Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Re: A Toyota Fortuner 5-Speed AT comes home!

Hearty congrats and thanks for the honest, precise review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
This car has a workhorse like Engine. It gets the job done ! Without fail ! No Sweat !

Its not an exciting engine in any way. But it does have adequate power at most speeds and you do find the response you need almost everytime. Hence the workhorse analogy and not a stallion or a race horse!

It is at its best at lower revs and power tails off at high engine speeds.
I think it's one of the most tractable engines around town. The roll on times during 60-100 in 4th gear etc are perfect - immensely pleasurable to close gaps in traffic - especially while sedans lose a couple of seconds by desperately trying to downshift to keep up. Not advocating rash driving in anyway, but you might be pleasantly surprised by the power still available in the upper reaches of the rev range (at least in the manual)

How is the tyre roar at highway speeds?
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 18:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Hearty congrats and thanks for the honest, precise review.
I think it's one of the most tractable engines around town. The roll on times during 60-100 in 4th gear etc are perfect - immensely pleasurable to close gaps in traffic - especially while sedans lose a couple of seconds by desperately trying to downshift to keep up. Not advocating rash driving in anyway, but you might be pleasantly surprised by the power still available in the upper reaches of the rev range (at least in the manual)

How is the tyre roar at highway speeds?
Hey Himan !

Thanks dude. Honest i will always be ! Tyre roar hasnt been an issue at all on the express highway concrete surface even. As i mentioned the car is super duper quiet on a tar highway.

I have missed a point in my review.

Above 100 kmph the car is quite sprightly in 5th gear. The revs are at 1750 rpm in 5th gear at 100 kmph. Up to 3000 rpm the car is responsive, which translates to around 130-140 kmph.

And although i say sprightly it is actually linear in its acceleration always, giving it a kind of a locomotive feel. High torque, persistent torque, perennial torque.

The linearity makes it feel sluggish or dim-witted below 100, but the same linearity makes it feel sprightly above 100 kmph. I think i have been able to now put across most of the dynamic responses of the car in terms of engine and transmission.
Old 30th March 2013, 20:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Man on joining the T-Fort gang. Welcome to the club...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 20:27   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy.
Even I was looking to buy the automatic last year but skimped due to the 4 gear gearbox.
Is the 5 speed auto giving you such high mileage?
Aren't manuals supposed to give better fuel efficiency?
Cheers
Old 31st March 2013, 13:14   #20
BHPian

Thanks Morphin !

The FE is higher than mentioned in the forum due to my sedate driving style in this car . But yes, the car does have the basic capability to deliver it.

Cheers
DIESELITE.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:29   #21
BHPian

This is a screenshot of the MID at the end of the express highway on my way from Pune to Mumbai. This figure looks insanely high since the drive is down the ghat section where throttle is almost unused. The car was in cruise control mode set at 95-97 kmph. By the time i reach back to Pune the fuel consumption was at 15.3 kmpl.

A Toyota Fortuner 5-Speed AT comes home!-img2013032300312.jpg

And this one here is a regular city use screenshot.

A Toyota Fortuner 5-Speed AT comes home!-img2013032000311.jpg
Dieselite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JKdas !

Thanks and thanks again ! Please do give a detailed account of the upgrade -teins suspension kit and spider box ! Does it transform the character of this relaxed cruiser ? Was the fitment done by Nippon Toyota ? Do toyota really keep vehicle warranty intact?

Waiting to hear from you !
Cheers
DIESELITE.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-retained.html

I am yet to drive it with the box. Will update once I do it.
He also got the BMC filter fitted along with it.

The Tein's would cost 1.2lac with the control box.
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-retained.html

I am yet to drive it with the box. Will update once I do it.
He also got the BMC filter fitted along with it.

The Tein's would cost 1.2lac with the control box.
JKDas ! thanks for the information.

Nippon Toyota ? I just took a quote from them for this same stuff. Does the control box allow you to select suspension settings ?

If possible could you get some images of this stuff in the car ??

Cheers
Dieselite.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Morphin !

The FE is higher than mentioned in the forum due to my sedate driving style in this car . But yes, the car does have the basic capability to deliver it.

Cheers
DIESELITE.
As I told one Herr Guderian (and Manuuj), the Fortuner is not meant to be driven like a Granny car

Nevertheless, great FE! I am envious. Only time I got similar FE from my manual 4X4 version was when I injured my foot and had to drive very sedately.

Welcome to the Fortuner Facebook group, btw.
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
As I told one Herr Guderian (and Manuuj), the Fortuner is not meant to be driven like a Granny car

Nevertheless, great FE! I am envious. Only time I got similar FE from my manual 4X4 version was when I injured my foot and had to drive very sedately.

Welcome to the Fortuner Facebook group, btw.

Granny Car !!

I guess the 4X4 does make it that bit more thirsty. But seriously, i find this car to be extremely pleasurable and relaxing when driving at low revs. It almost makes me drive it sedately !

Cheers
Dieselite.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Dieselite !
I know I am coming in here a little late.

You have a swell looking Fortuner and I guess among the first of the 5 speed ATs round these parts.
Those FE figures look smashing - though I guess it is going to be short lived, thanks to all the cracks flying thick and fast about Grannies !

Incidentally what have you named it ?

Have a fab time & tons of fun with your Fortuner.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Dieselite for your Fortuner.
Wish you loads of fun and fabulous experience with the TFort.
Drive safe.
Old 5th April 2013, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Hey Dieselite,

Just stumbled on this now. Congratulations and welcome to the Fortuner club . Awesome FE numbers, i must say! I get close to 10.5 - 11 kmpl in Pune city traffic, and around 13.5 in the highway (mine is a 4*4, by the way). Have an enjoyable and long trouble free experience with the vehicle!
Old 5th April 2013, 21:25   #29
BHPian

Hey Dieselite, congrats on owning one of my favourite vehicles in the market today. My cousin just purchased the same 5 speed automatic pearl white a month back. He took a calculated risk by paying in full a day before the budget and saved about INR 70,000 in the bargain.

His requirements were:
1. Comfortable 7 Seater
2. Automatic Transmission

His wishlist had the GL350 but ALAS!

I drove his car and it plastered a huge smile on my face which just refused to go.

Coming to the vehicle its truly amazing that Toyota now has 2 vehicles which the competition havent been able to beat in last 3.5 years (Fortuner) and 9+ years (Innova).

You have an amazing garage. That 530d is a hoot to drive and the Fortuner is something which just commands amazing respect on our roads especially in white.

Congrats once again wish you many safe miles with the car.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Congratulations Dieselite !
I know I am coming in here a little late.

You have a swell looking Fortuner and I guess among the first of the 5 speed ATs round these parts.
Those FE figures look smashing - though I guess it is going to be short lived, thanks to all the cracks flying thick and fast about Grannies !

Incidentally what have you named it ?

Have a fab time & tons of fun with your Fortuner.
Thanks Guderian ! FE figures are smashing and hopefully long lived ! Bruce Banner when in the Fortuner and the HULK when in the 530d

The fortuner is still nameless. What name should a gentle giant carry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many congratulations Dieselite for your Fortuner.
Wish you loads of fun and fabulous experience with the TFort.
Drive safe.
Thanks Sommos ! Drive Safe is a very important thing mentioned here. This car is soothing to the nerves. My experience with the Fortuner has been absolutely risk free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Hey Dieselite,

Just stumbled on this now. Congratulations and welcome to the Fortuner club . Awesome FE numbers, i must say! I get close to 10.5 - 11 kmpl in Pune city traffic, and around 13.5 in the highway (mine is a 4*4, by the way). Have an enjoyable and long trouble free experience with the vehicle!
Hey Venkat ! Thank you very much ! I guess the extra losses of the 4X4 are evident here ! I am pretty sure that the trouble free nature of this car will bring wide smiles on my face !

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Hey Dieselite, congrats on owning one of my favourite vehicles in the market today. My cousin just purchased the same 5 speed automatic pearl white a month back. He took a calculated risk by paying in full a day before the budget and saved about INR 70,000 in the bargain.

Congrats once again wish you many safe miles with the car.
Thanks Miharbe ! This truly is one of the most satisfying vehicles in its class ! And its very true what you say about Toyota. The two cars you say have been the ones to beat in their segment and it must be said that they havent really been outgunned overall by their competition at all. Every one of their competitors have an ace or two but the overall packages still fall way short of toyota's offerings in the MUV and SUV space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks