Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 21:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Toyota Fortuner 5-Speed AT comes home!

Dieselite,

I am following your thread closely for any updates on the performance and user experience, along with other Fortuner owners' threads.

I will base my decision for my next SUV, thanks to your inputs- as well.

Happy Motoring!
Old 11th April 2013, 01:24   #32
BHPian

Hey getsurya !

you are most welcome ! If its the sub 40 lakh segment and your requirements are a total peace of mind ownership then look no further !

dieselite !
Old 11th April 2013, 01:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its the sub 40 lakh segment and your requirements are a total peace of mind ownership then look no further !
Hi Dieselite,

Thank you and can you post more pictures and details/observations of your lovely car. No picture will go waste and no detail shall be wasted
Old 11th April 2013, 09:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
JKDas ! thanks for the information.

Nippon Toyota ? I just took a quote from them for this same stuff. Does the control box allow you to select suspension settings ?

If possible could you get some images of this stuff in the car ??

Cheers
Dieselite.
Think Nippon Toyota ( A Toyota dealer in Kerala) has done some deal with RRR for these stuff and hence that thread.

The suspension work with control box will cost you 1.20lac. My friend didnt get that yet; just the power box.

Drove it last day. Pretty easy to drive with very less lag; almost nil like. Couldnt do a long drive yet. Will update once I do that.
Old 11th April 2013, 11:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Think Nippon Toyota ( A Toyota dealer in Kerala) has done some deal with RRR for these stuff and hence that thread.

The suspension work with control box will cost you 1.20lac. My friend didnt get that yet; just the power box.

Drove it last day. Pretty easy to drive with very less lag; almost nil like. Couldnt do a long drive yet. Will update once I do that.
I guess the extra power is accessible only once the gearbox connects you to the gears ! Is there any kit which will alter shift action !? now that would work wonders with this car.
Old 26th April 2013, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Hi Dieselite! Congratulations on the new addition! Looking forward to some pics of your Auto-Fort in action. The mileage figures are really impressive especially for an Automatic.

Any road trips or excursions planned? By the way does the Service manual say anything about Gear Oil change interval for the automatic transmission.

Mine is called Obelix and is close to 90,000 kms in a little over 3 years of ownership. I shall be getting the gear oil changed out now at the 90K service sometime in May.

The (metallic) colour you have chosen is very good. I would strongly advise that you do not get any aftermarket "teflon" coating type treatment carried out. These people don't know what they are doing and generally harm the paint more than protect it.

All the best to you and your Auto-Fort. Drive safe and wish you a million miles of smiles.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The (metallic) colour you have chosen is very good. I would strongly advise that you do not get any aftermarket "teflon" coating type treatment carried out. These people don't know what they are doing and generally harm the paint more than protect it.
Hi Manuuj as far as I know White Pearl Mica is a non-metallic color. Please have a look. Gurus can clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
A Toyota Fortuner 5-Speed AT comes home!-ashampoo_snap_2013.04.26_19h06m05s_001_.png  

Old 27th April 2013, 13:59   #38
BHPian

Hi M,

Finally I get to congratulate you officially on the thread!

Nice observations with the dumb gearbox

But overall, the 5 speed is a great package, considering the car is your daily drive and the roads you encounter..

BTW,
For those who are still in disbelief about the FE figures: I have personally driven Dieselite's car when she was barely 2 weeks old and have witnessed the FE magic.
We cruised for around 50km around the outskirts of the city and the FE of 15+ made me envious.

Nonetheless, wish you miles of happiness with this beauty.

Next up,
A trip with the TFOG gang!

cheers
Satyen
Old 30th April 2013, 19:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Hi Dieselite! ..... By the way does the Service manual say anything about Gear Oil change interval for the automatic transmission.....The (metallic) colour you have chosen is very good.....
All the best to you and your Auto-Fort. Drive safe and wish you a million miles of smiles.
Hey Manuuj, Thanks a ton for the wishes. I havent checked the gear oil change interval but i will and let you know soon. The colour choice was a no brainer once i saw it in flesh and heard about the delivery status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Hi Manuuj as far as I know White Pearl Mica is a non-metallic color. Please have a look. Gurus can clarify.
Hey mroptimist ! The Pearl White Mica is very much a metallic colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi M,

Finally I get to congratulate you officially on the thread!

Nice observations with the dumb gearbox

Wish you miles of happiness with this beauty.

Next up,
A trip with the TFOG gang!

cheers
Satyen
Satyen dude !! Thanks man. I just found out that a few extra centimeters of depressing the accelerator does wonders to the car's response

Am enjoying that too now !

Lets meet up soon ! A joyride in the 530 is overdue !

cheers
Dieselite.
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the extra power is accessible only once the gearbox connects you to the gears ! Is there any kit which will alter shift action !? now that would work wonders with this car.
I hope you're enjoying the car very much till now. Actually I'm after a lot of consideration am planning to go for a Fortuner and would be glad if you could provide me with your views on the following:

1.) Have owned the car do you think the Price justified?
2.) How would you rate a chauffeur driven experience in the car especially in the city? And is the AT capable of mixed highway travel i.e. expressway, NH and 2 lane state roads? I.e. does the greabox keep up sufficiently with varying highway scenarios and speeds?
3.) Did you try the 4x2 MT before finalizing the AT version? I generally don't like ATs including DSGs and am confused because my local dealer doesn't have a TD vehicle and I'll have to take a blind call. Also considering its size an AT will be helpful to other family members apart from me and the driver.
4.) I'll be replacing a corolla if I go for the fortuner and have been more than happy with the plodding capacities of the corolla. Will the fortuner more or less fulfill these traits with a decent upgrade quotient as well.

Sorry for these long questions but I need an owner's feedback of the 5 speed AT as I think you're the only member to start an ownership tread for it.

Any input will be greatly helpful
Old 4th July 2013, 17:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I hope you're enjoying the car very much till now. Actually I'm after a lot of consideration am planning to go for a Fortuner and would be glad if you could provide me with your views on the following:

4.) I'll be replacing a corolla if I go for the fortuner and have been more than happy with the plodding capacities of the corolla. Will the fortuner more or less fulfill these traits with a decent upgrade quotient as well.

Sorry for these long questions but I need an owner's feedback of the 5 speed AT as I think you're the only member to start an ownership tread for it.

Corolla to Fortuner?
I know people who sold Innova to get Fortuner and then sold Fortuner to get Innova.
Over priced: I would say yes.
I drive my friend's AT + Spider box version when I can and its fun in drivers seat.

Last edited by jkdas : 4th July 2013 at 17:35.
Old 4th July 2013, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:

1.) Have owned the car do you think the Price justified?
2.) How would you rate a chauffeur driven experience in the car especially in the city? And is the AT capable of mixed highway travel i.e. expressway, NH and 2 lane state roads? I.e. does the greabox keep up sufficiently with varying highway scenarios and speeds?
3.) Did you try the 4x2 MT before finalizing the AT version? I generally don't like ATs including DSGs and am confused because my local dealer doesn't have a TD vehicle and I'll have to take a blind call. Also considering its size an AT will be helpful to other family members apart from me and the driver.

Hey abs182 !

Thank you for your post. I am definitely enjoying the car !

1. I think the car could have been priced lower, but then if you drive the competition on offer i dont think there is any comparable choice really. Hence in a way the high price is justified for toyota. Their lines are fully booked for the Fortuners even at existing price levels.

2. Being driven around in the rear seat is AWESOME ! The engine and gearbox is more than adequate but not really flat out, if you know what i mean. Do read my review to get exactly my point. My acceptance for the engine-drivetrain has marginally improved with usage though.

3. No i did not try the 4X2 AT as i was very clear what i wanted - An automatic transmission, spacious, diesel powered bullet proof reliable car that did not look like a van. For everyday use i guess the AT will make things really easy for you with the massive fortuner.

4. Not sure what you mean exactly by plodding capabilities, but the fortuner will hand you a "Go anywhere" feeling like no other. The solid build makes you smile. Upgrade quotient will be good.

Do write back with any more questions you may have,

regards
Dieselite
Old 5th July 2013, 11:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hey abs182 !

Do write back with any more questions you may have,

regards
Dieselite
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Only 2 things are making me unsure of the Fortuner:

1.) The quality of ride for the back seat passenger as my father will be chauffeur driven in it most of the time at city speeds. So the ride shouldn't be visibly unsettling as it'll not serve the purpose as desired.

2.) The second one is with the AT. We really don't have stop and go bumper to pumper traffic but since I think an AT will make life easy for rest of the family members in case they find themselves behind the wheel of the Car! But than the other half requirement of the requirement of being a highway car will suffer as like you say the AT Box can be dumb witted at times.

The the problem is that I'm completely satisfied with the all round ability of the corolla barring her high speed highway antics. I just seeking a bit of assurance that a fortuner will fill her role upto a satisfactory level. Plus it will be the first SUV and I don't have much experience of them I'm taking my time in commuting to the purchase.
Old 16th October 2013, 15:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Only 2 things are making me unsure of the Fortuner:

1.) The quality of ride for the back seat passenger as my father will be chauffeur driven in it most of the time at city speeds. So the ride shouldn't be visibly unsettling as it'll not serve the purpose as desired.

2.) The second one is with the AT. We really don't have stop and go bumper to pumper traffic but since I think an AT will make life easy for rest of the family members in case they find themselves behind the wheel of the Car! But than the other half requirement of the requirement of being a highway car will suffer as like you say the AT Box can be dumb witted at times.

The the problem is that I'm completely satisfied with the all round ability of the corolla barring her high speed highway antics. I just seeking a bit of assurance that a fortuner will fill her role upto a satisfactory level. Plus it will be the first SUV and I don't have much experience of them I'm taking my time in commuting to the purchase.
Hi, How's the Car doing? Any updates? If you could please provide me with your inputs for my last post. I know its been a couple of months but unfortunately the 2 dealerships in my city aren't in a position to offer me a test drive for a 5-speed AT and thus I'm trying to glean an much information as I can from the existing owners of the 5 Speed AT. Hope you're enjoying you cars to the fullest considering you play the duel role of Bruce Banner and the Hulk !
Old 19th October 2013, 00:56   #45
BHPian

abs182, I bought my Jumbo (Pearl white Fortuner 5-speed AT) a month ago. I've been driving automatic cars for donkey years in several countries. Based on my experience:
- AT is not an issue at all, in city and in highway.
- The ride comfort level in all seats is way less than a sedan. It's bumpy! Do not expect the comfort of Corolla in the Fortuner. Fortuner is built on Hilux platform which is a tough truck platform.
- If ride quality (sedan like comfort) is your priority then you must take multiple test drives (you can do TD of manual version if AT version is not available) before taking a decision. On good roads the comfort level is good. On uneven roads it's not good.
- Fortuner is a full blown 100% SUV so you can drive at 50/60/70 on gravel roads. It is designed to take the beating.
- Mileage is flexible. AT version could give you anywhere between 8 to 18km/ltr depending on your driving style. In fact you'll get excellent mileage if you are a good driver of AT cars.
- Do not plan to ride the Fortuner faster than your Corolla on good roads and highways. It's a SUV with high center of gravity. Please don't.

Feel free to shoot more questions, if any.

Last edited by kaizanfan : 19th October 2013 at 01:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks