Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 19:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol

Amazing car to be with. It will never let you compromise on comfort factors. The only point of concern will be the big humps and deep gutters. But it wont be a big issue if you drive a bit carefully.
Nikz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 12:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikz View Post
Amazing car to be with. It will never let you compromise on comfort factors. The only point of concern will be the big humps and deep gutters. But it wont be a big issue if you drive a bit carefully.

I totally agree with you Nikz... Unfortunately, roads in Mumbai are such, that you just can't escape Potholes.... I have already scrapped the car twice ever since monsoons now..
Old 13th August 2013, 15:33   #48
BHPian

2nd Paid Service Update

Hi all,

As said earlier, my car had crossed 19000 km on the ODO, and hence the Second Paid Service was due. Thus called up Solitaire Honda and fixed up the service appointment for 3rd August 2013, and requested for Mr. Bhavin as my service adviser.

As per the appointment, reached the showroom at 9:00 am in the morning, and was warmly greeted by the security at the gate, he noted down my ODO on board and directed me towards the Service Area Reception Center. Introduced myself to the lady at the reception, and she said, Bhavin would be with me in 5 mins.

As expected, Bhavin attended me in 5 mins, this being the 20000 service, Honda calls it "First Major Service". So the list of activities carried out where
[list][*]Engine Oil Change[*]Ac Filter Change[*]AC Coolant Top Up[*]AC Servicing[*]Gear Box Oil Change[*]Disc Brakes Polishing[*]General Maintenance Check Up of the car
  • Wheel Alignment and Balancing
  • Tire Rotation

However, I decided to opt out for Wheel Balancing and Alignment was it was quoted as INR 950/- the labor charges. It made more sense to get it done from tire shops. Apart from this, I had asked Bhavin to remove the mirror locks of the ORVM's.

The expected time of delivery was 18:00 hrs in the evening. As promised, the car was delivered to me at 18:00 hrs and the total bill worked out to be INR 6140/- inclusive of taxes and labor charges. However, I had received a loyalty bonus card from Solitaire Honda which entitles me 10% discount on labor charges, 5% discount on accessories , 10% discount on Value Add Services like Polishing or Anti Rust Treatment, Free towing facility, etc. Thus my total bill worked out to INR 5546/-.

Overall the worked carried out was as per my expectations as usual.

Post the service, the very next day I got the Wheel alignment and Balancing done at an authorized Bridgestone Tire dealer. Apart from alignment and balancing I asked him to rotate the wheels as well as deflate the tires and inflate them with Nitrogen. The overall bill from Wheel Alignment and Balancing came to INR 600 and for Nitrogen filling INR 150

I must say, post Nitrogen, the drive of the car has become more firm and direct, the feedback from the wheels is direct to the Steering Wheel, and high speed curves inspire more confidence know.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:14   #49
BHPian

And then therefore I got banged...

Driving in Mumbai has its own Perils. And I call it "Occupational Hazard". Last weekend i.e. 8th August, exactly a week after my car was back from Service got banged from behind. And got banged by someone who was mightier than my City. The Bolero derived mini tempo.

I left my office for a client meeting from Worli at around 2:00 in the afternoon. I had to visit Ghatkopar in Central Mumbai, and my meeting was in R-City Mall in Ghatkopar. As I came down the Sion flyover I slowed down a bit as it started raining heavily. I was driving at speeds between 40 kph to 50 kph as the roads were slippery. As I crossed the Chunna Bhatti Junction I further slowed down as the Signal had turned Yellow, and as I was about to stop I heard Bangggg!!!. Somebody had irrationally forgotten to apply breaks and therefore had come and banged into me from behind. The impact was such that the car instead of moving ahead it turned. But trust me, inside the car I was completely unfazed. I got down from the car assessed the damages, as there was no point in fighting with the poor Jeep driver, as he was just a driver and due to wet roads, his vehicle couldn't stop on time.

Immediately, called up @ Solitaire Honda Service Guys and asked them to transfer me to Mr. Nitesh. Nitesh is from Body Shop Department, informed him about the incident, checked with him if FIR is needed for insurance. He immediately asked whether I was injured, and moment I said no, he asked me to sent the photo of the car if possible through what's app so that he could asses if FIR was needed. He called up after inquiring with the Insurance team as I have Honda Assure Zero Depreciation that the FIR was not needed. Next he asked me was whether the car is in a movable condition and if not then he can arrange from towing. However thankfully, no metal part was touching the rubber and hence I was able to move the car, and I decided to drive down the car to the Service Station.

Reached service station, Met Mr. Nitesh, handed over the car to him, he immediately ordered for a cup of tea and a glass of water, and then went on with his job of assessing the car. Came back to me, handed over all the valuables from the car, opened up a job card and insurance related form. I signed on them and he assured me that the car would be ready in 20 days of time in showroom "Mint Condition"

Today's update is- Friday-Saturday-Sunday being an off for the Insurance company, the surveyor had gone yesterday and surveyed the car and will be sending the estimate by Wednesday. As I have a Zero Depreciation Policy, I will not be charged a single penny for getting the work done.

The things that need to be changed are
  • Cross Section of the C Pillar
  • Bumper
  • Tail Lights
  • Boot

And the estimated time to get the car back on roads is somewhere around 15 days. I am attaching some pictures that I clicked.

PS- After the impact, honestly I have become a Fan of Honda products, as If you see the snaps, you can see the way the car has borne the brunt of the Bolero without letting its owner have a single scratch. Kudos to Honda.

Meanwhile, I came across the rendered photo of the 2015 Honda City on one of the automotive forum indianautosblog. Attaching the same too.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013080800033.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013080800034.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013080800035.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013080800036.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-2015nextgenerationhondacity.jpg  

Old 14th August 2013, 10:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Bad luck. I really wonder why in the monsoons in Mumbai people do not drive more carefully. I see most people driving very close to the car ahead.

Don't worry it is only the rear and she will be fixed like new. If you have the old tail light design, maybe you can ask for the new design ones to be fitted?
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 11:06   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2nd Paid Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Hi all,

As said earlier, my car had crossed 19000 km on the ODO, and hence the Second Paid Service was due. this being the 20000 service, Honda calls it "First Major Service". So the list of activities carried out where
[list][*]Engine Oil Change[*]Ac Filter Change[*]AC Coolant Top Up[*]AC Servicing[*]Gear Box Oil Change[*]Disc Brakes Polishing[*]General Maintenance Check Up of the car
  • Wheel Alignment and Balancing
  • Tire Rotation

However, I decided to opt out for Wheel Balancing and Alignment was it was quoted as INR 950/- the labor charges. It made more sense to get it done from tire shops.
Thus my total bill worked out to INR 5546/-.

Overall the worked carried out was as per my expectations as usual.

The overall bill from Wheel Alignment and Balancing came to INR 600 and for Nitrogen filling INR 150

I must say, post Nitrogen, the drive of the car has become more firm and direct, the feedback from the wheels is direct to the Steering Wheel, and high speed curves inspire more confidence know.
Sorry to hear about the accident

A few views about the service etc:

1) Nitrogen filled tyres scientifically speaking do not make any difference to the way the car drives. Absolutely none. The only advantage of filling nitrogen is that the tyre pressure stays constant throughout the drive and for a much longer period unlike in the case of normal air which has Oxygen content (still the major (78+%) portion in normal air too is nitrogen). So simply the difference in steering feedback or how you are taking curves is purely either physiological or more likely due to correction of some alignment or balancing issue.

2) AC Servicing and AC Coolant top up seems a bit premature for a vehicle that is so new. Does it mention this in you vehicle service booklet things to be done list for the specified 19K kms?

The overall service cost that you have got is indeed very good for a vehicle of this class. Cheers to Honda for that.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Bad luck. I really wonder why in the monsoons in Mumbai people do not drive more carefully. I see most people driving very close to the car ahead.

Don't worry it is only the rear and she will be fixed like new. If you have the old tail light design, maybe you can ask for the new design ones to be fitted?

Hi Sandeep,

I agree man, I can't just believe that people have absolutely funny driving skills. Thankfully, I have the 2012 model, with the new tail lamps and front grill. So no issues there, however, a point to note, the new tail light design can not be retro fitted in the old design cars.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident

A few views about the service etc:

1) Nitrogen filled tyres scientifically speaking do not make any difference to the way the car drives. Absolutely none. The only advantage of filling nitrogen is that the tyre pressure stays constant throughout the drive and for a much longer period unlike in the case of normal air which has Oxygen content (still the major (78+%) portion in normal air too is nitrogen). So simply the difference in steering feedback or how you are taking curves is purely either physiological or more likely due to correction of some alignment or balancing issue.

2) AC Servicing and AC Coolant top up seems a bit premature for a vehicle that is so new. Does it mention this in you vehicle service booklet things to be done list for the specified 19K kms?

The overall service cost that you have got is indeed very good for a vehicle of this class. Cheers to Honda for that.

Hi ACM,

Thanks for the concern mate!!! to answer your pointers

On Nitrogen filled tires, couple of times, I had heard my Honda technician saying that the Nitrogen filled tires are better than normal aired tires, during high speed and highway runs, as nitrogen filled tires do not heat up and therefore the tire temperature is cooler even after run continuously for more than 100 km or so. So ideally, if that be true, due to cooler tire temperature, there may be chances of better handling. However, if this assumption of coolers tires is false, then I agree with you that it may not make any difference in the handling characteristics of the car... And even if they do, they won't convert a i20 into Punto.

On AC Servicing and Coolant Top Up, I don't think Honda technicians topped up the coolant, coz I remember the technician telling me during my delivery that the Coolant top up is not required in the City, unless there is a leakage anywhere, Incase I mentioned it earlier, my apologies, as it must have been an error from my end. However, AC Servicing was carried out, where in the AC filter was changed and the AC was serviced by cleaning the condenser coils, etc. And the AC to be Serviced point is mentioned in the Service Booklet provided with the car.

The car does chill much faster now, again that may be my physiological thinking post paying Rs 6000 odd for the servicing.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi sawnilrules,

Sorry to hear about the accident. The pictures show the brunt of the episode.

I appreciate the way you have responded and Honda Body shop was prompt in its support!

Waiting to see the 'mint condition' pictures and the ride back to its normal.

Happy Motoring!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 22:41   #55
BHPian

Sorry to read about the accident. On a positive note, it seems the car took the maximum hit and you were safe. At the end of the day, that is what that matters.
Hope to see the car restored to full health soon.
Old 17th August 2013, 14:32   #56
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On Nitrogen filled tires, couple of times, I had heard my Honda technician saying that the Nitrogen filled tires are better than normal aired tires, during high speed and highway runs, as nitrogen filled tires do not heat up and therefore the tire temperature is cooler even after run continuously for more than 100 km or so. So ideally, if that be true, due to cooler tire temperature, there may be chances of better handling. However, if this assumption of coolers tires is false, then I agree with you that it may not make any difference in the handling characteristics of the car... And even if they do, they won't convert a i20 into Punto.

On AC Servicing and Coolant Top Up, I don't think Honda technicians topped up the coolant, coz I remember the technician telling me during my delivery that the Coolant top up is not required in the City, unless there is a leakage anywhere, Incase I mentioned it earlier, my apologies, as it must have been an error from my end. However, AC Servicing was carried out, where in the AC filter was changed and the AC was serviced by cleaning the condenser coils, etc. And the AC to be Serviced point is mentioned in the Service Booklet provided with the car.

The car does chill much faster now, again that may be my physiological thinking post paying Rs 6000 odd for the servicing.
Yep carrying out AC servicing as in changing the AC filter and the condenser coils would seem fine. -Though there is a definitely likelihood that not much was really done, - was only concerned about the Coolant top up mention which you have clarified was not done. I used to get the guys at TATA to get something called AC pollen removal - for this they used a spray in the AC Air Vents. I get a feeling that something similar was probably done in your case as well. Accessing the physical AC components below the Dashboard tends to be an elaborate affair that they would do typically need to do only after 50k kms minimum if nor more. But yes as mentioned in the book they must have carried out a typical kind of basic AC service. (Though am just not able to fathom what actually they would do under this header.) I all my previous vehicles did not really ever get the AC serviced till 100,000kms or more at which time the entire dash would be removed and the AC blower cleaned up.

What you mention about Nitrogen not getting heated up is indeed correct and that leads to the tyre pressure remaining constant in the vehicle for longer periods. But as mentioned earlier this in not something one can notice in the drive a 2 degree rise in tyre pressure (with normal Air) while one is out on a long drive and will not really be felt if the tyre pressure was originally at the correct value. It would again be back at the same original value the next day morning.

The practical scenario of one driving is that one tends to keep the tyre pressure as a value X that typically corresponds to the value for 1-2 people load rating provided by the manufacturer (yet pump to pump even with automatic machines this value differs by 2-4 PSI). Now again typically one makes longer trips with the family and baggage. The tyre pressure ratings for a fully loaded vehicle (family + baggage) is higher but one rarely changes the tyre pressure value before a long journey though most would maybe check the tyre pressure to be at the normal value a day prior to the long journey. Also my actual experience with guys filling nitrogen, HP and BP pumps has been that in call cases the tyre pressure values differ. Now one does tend to get the tyre pressure adjusted to a comfortable value over time if the ride is too bouncy (higher than rated pressure) but in the practical world one really is only which pump has the correct tyre pressure. Hence I mention again that the difference would be insignificant and will not contribute to handling in a noticeable manner for most drivers. Though technically speaking you are correct the in a long drive scenario if the tyre pressure changes due to the air inside heating up (normal air) then the vehicle handling will be affected.

My own experience with Nitrogen - Once got is filled at a Petrol Pump at the value 32 for the TATA Safari the same place the meter for normal air showed the tyre pressure to be 35. That was a IOC pump. So the ride actually became bouncy. I then got the pressure reduced using the normal air pump (remove some nitrogen to reach 32) and the ride was better. The same thing happened to me with the Laura when I filled nitrogen air at the place where the tyres were being changed to again the value 32 and this time too a normal pump (BPCL) showed the value to be 35. It could very well be different (opposite) in your case and maybe you now are getting the correct PSI value at the place where the Nitrogen Air was filled and that will surely make the vehicle seem to handle better as earlier it would be at the right value to start off.

Hope the vehicle is already on the path to getting back to it's old self post the accident.

I guess I have too much free time this Saturday evening.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:22   #57
BHPian

The I-Vtec was back, with Shoddy work, and sent back again....

After 20 days of trials and tribulations, I was happy that I would be getting the I-Vtec back finally on 31st August as 20 days were hectic for me traveling in and around Mumbai without car. All those from Mumbai can understand the pain was traveling in Public transport in the city!!!

So on 31st morning, I get the call from my body shop advisor, "Sir your car has come and should be cleaned and kept ready for delivery by 16:00 hrs.Would request you to come as per your convenience to pick up the car."

I couldn't resist my temptation to see the car, so reached the showroom at around 15:45 hrs. Before entering the reception area, I went to have a look at the car. And at one glance I could make out, the quality of work done was shoddy!!! Simply Shoddy

In that 5 minutes of inspection I could find out following issues
  • Rear Bumper Misaligned
  • Boot Misaligned
  • Boot doesn't close in first attempt, has to banged to shut it
  • Sealant application all over the rear glass panel
  • rear wires popping out of the rubber housing behind
  • Rear Right door misaligned
  • shoddy cutting work and welding work of Rear Quarter Panel

Moreover, I decided to take the trial of the car and found out few more issues which were no where related to the damages of the car
  • Engine Harshness had gone up
  • Vibrations were felt inside the car at idling speeds
  • Rear Silencer was misaligned and dangling down, thus leading to a loud thud whenever the car went over potholes
  • Car rode like a boat, not at all firm and grounded on high speeds
  • When I left the car with Solitaire, it was on half tank full, and when I received it, it was on empty.

After the trial of the car, I was more furious, as I didn't expect this kind of work from an Honda Authorized Service Station. I told my body shop advisor upfront that a road side mechanic could have done a better job than what you guys had done. His simple and silly reply was " Sorry sir, I will get this rectified, you can again come and collect the car on following Wednesday.:

How frustrating it can be, to wait for car for 20 days, and get it in hopelessly bad condition. Though, I could not click all the pictures, but am posting few which I could during my visit to the service center.

Moreover I took the car back from them for the weekend, primarily as my first modification for the car Bi-Xenon had arrived and I had planned to install them over the weekend. However, I did not pay them a single penny as they had not done a great job. Initially, the Service Manager was not ready to agree on it, but then, he had to agree with me eventually, as the fault was on their side and not from their customer side.

Service Manager, promised to send the driver at my place to collect the car on Monday, i.e. today and get the car up to the "Honda Standards". Today the driver indeed collected the car, let's see what "Honda Standards" they will work on.

If they don't get the things right on Wednesday, I am definitely going to write about this not only to Honda, but also to Mr. Khachalia, who owns Solitaire Honda apart from having franchisees for BMW, Volvo and Hyundai in India
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000046.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000047.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000048.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000049.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000050.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013083000051.jpg  

Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol-img2013090200066.jpg  

Old 10th September 2013, 16:31   #58
BHPian

sawnilrules,

Did you get the bi-xenon headlamps installed yet? Please post some details.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 13:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ACM,

Thanks for the concern mate!!! to answer your pointers

On Nitrogen filled tires, couple of times, I had heard my Honda technician saying that the Nitrogen filled tires are better than normal aired tires, during high speed and highway runs, as nitrogen filled tires do not heat up and therefore the tire temperature is cooler even after run continuously for more than 100 km or so.

The tires would heat up anyways. Since nitrogen is an inert gas and would have no moisture content there would be negligible volume expansion of air in your tire. The issue with the normal air that we fill up is that it is not dry. Once dry it wouldnt matter if you are running normal/nitrogen. We really do not drive at speeds > 120 k's on most Indian highways.

The coolant change interval in the Honda City is 200k kms/120 months and 100k/120 months subsequently.

Quote:
After 20 days of trials and tribulations, I was happy that I would be getting the I-Vtec back finally on 31st August as 20 days were hectic for me traveling in and around Mumbai without car. All those from Mumbai can understand the pain was traveling in Public transport in the city!!!
They have done pretty shoddy work. Did you talk to the service manager for the dealership ? Write to Honda right away.
Old 16th September 2013, 16:19   #60
BHPian

[/quote]They have done pretty shoddy work. Did you talk to the service manager for the dealership ? Write to Honda right away.[/quote]

@ baddychat: I complete agree with you, they had done pretty shoddy job with the car, absolutely not as per the Honda Standards.

But, then thankfully they agreed to that fact and were ready to redo the car, which they eventually did.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks