Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:10   #1
BHPian

2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review

Finally, the wait is over. Our new Bolero SLX 2013 is here. I would like to share my observations to all future Bolero owners.

Booking and Delivery:

We (my wife and I) went with Sireesh auto ltd. (Electronic city, near Madivala flyover, Bangalore). Our point of contacts were Ganesh and Balaji (Team Leader). Both were instrumental in getting the vehicle delivered on my wife's birthday. Balaji is one person who knows how to treat his customers; and this not the pre-sale gimmick.

Exterior:

Amazing road presence. Love the headlight's design. Lamps are bright and an upgrade isn't required. Wheel cover for the spare is a good addition in terms of tyre protection and looks. Bumpers are much better than the previous version. They are metal now and you can test them buy standing on it. We added Autocop reverse indicator (display on rear-view mirror). The distance to barrier does not include your spare wheel. You might want to use the mirror. I was pleased to see the vehicle with Good year tyres. I was praying not to see apollo; expected MRFs. So glad it was neither.
The wheel caps aren't screwed to the rim, beading/insulation stays the same as old models (carelessly tailored). The mud flaps are like hankies. I am not too sure if it would serve the purpose.
Fog Lamps remain loose in its socket, however, they wont fall off. Bolero Style!

Keyless Entry:

It has search, lock and unlock buttons. Works well though the buttons are extremely hard to activate/de-activate.

Under the Hood:

I read reviews that the pickup was a problem; i differ. I found it to be at par with the CRDE boleros. Highway overtaking is a letdown if you are a 'need for speed' person. Engine noise level is much lower; just listening to the engine tells you its a refined one. Fuse box is placed next to the battery and not inside the cabin. I am worried about the wires overheating.
The front grill firmly sits between the headlights using four bolts. I was expected a clamp-fix fitment.

Interiors:

Seats are not that comfortable due to the lack of under thigh support. The seat base is small; makes you sit up every other time. Middle row seat's leg room is bad with 6-footers in passenger and driver seat. The arm-rest fails to live up to its functionality. Basically, the arm cannot rest on it. it's a cushion. I loved the floor mats they gave us. very good quality. the last row seats are good enough for two people (not 6-footers or above).

Stereo:
Does its job as good receiver more than a CD player. No USB support; only AUX and using this would reduce volume and clarity of the play.
The glove isn't too deep and you may crib if you love to fill it with junk. Cabin lights (one above the passenger/driver seat and the other, on the cargo roof) perform an excellent job of lighting up. The lights on when a door is open option is active only for the driver and passenger doors. Door armrest could have been wider (not complaining). I like the new design for the AC and Heater knobs. They are far from top notch; however, it's a bolero. It,s a rugged and not luxurious.

Drivability (city):
City driving before the 1st service returned a healthy 12.5kms with two drivers on the captain's seat. Driving in heavy traffic is where I felt Bolero excels. Everyone gives you way, including those impatient bikers who cant wait in the line. I love bullying them. You will know how if you own a Bolero.
The dimensions of the vehicle are so clear to you that you would not have to guess how much further one needs to go in that small parking lot or have you crossed the yellow line? There is absolutely no blind spot for bolero. Clutch is sensitive and I realised taking the leg off the clutch helps. Brakes are affective though it is hard to active. AC is the best; powerful, affective and not too much drag on the engine.

Drivability (Highway):
Wipers are ok however not meant for heavy downpour with good speed. This is a cruiser and not a clipper. So, for all those looking for munching vehicles on the highway, this aint your beast. The steering vibrates pretty much like the lazy boy massage chair post 100kmph. After, 114kmph, its back to normal (no or mild vibration).

Conclusion:
I have bought the bolero knowing well of its pros and cons; I wanted something to last me another 10years. One fact is for certain, it gets better with age

Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review-img_0828.jpg  

2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review-img_0826.jpg  

2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0289.jpg  

2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review-img_0827.jpg  

Boomerang is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:29   #2
BHPian

re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review

Congratulations on you purchase! Its raining Bolero's on Team-Bhp! A ZLX and now a SLX in quick succession! I know what you mean about bullying the bikers! The Biker's and Rickshawalls now dont dare to swerve right in front of me. Ditto about the Steering vibrations . However i did find the wipers (on my Bolero DI) to be doing its job even in heavy downpour.

Welcome to the Bolero family,
Rahul
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Bumpers are much better than the previous version. They are metal now and you can test them buy standing on it.
Bumpers of the older versions were also metal units.
Quote:
I found it to be at par with the CRDE boleros.
Your Bolero is also CRDI ie, the MDI 3200 engine converted to CRDI .
Your Bolero looks very butch in the black and white pic. Eventhough it lacks the no of BHPs in paper when compared to its rivals, in my experience, it scores much more in driveability over them.Happy cruising for the coming 400000 kms or more!
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

There used to be a engine/chassis vibration aroung 55 kmph speeds in the 5th gear. This was in the DI version.

Did the CRDi conversion eliminate that vibration?
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:45   #5
BHPian

Very interesting indeed! Another Bolero owner within a week! I took my delivery this past Saturday. Be sure to check out my ownership thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-page-5-a.html

Ownership pics are on page 5 of my thread.

I more or less agree with everything you've said. I've strictly kept my speed to below 80 for the drive in period. With my upsized tires, it feels as solid at higher speeds too. I understand what you mean about the bullying aspect, but I'm a bit meek due to this being the first ever SUV I've owned.

I'm getting a regular 14.5 kmpl with 100% AC usage in the city, but knowing Bengaluru, I'm not surprised with your FE levels currently.

Nice seat covers! How much did that set you back?

I went through a couple of small problems with the odo and speedo on day one, due to a disconnected coupler. You might want to get that into your knowledge books.

Good luck and happy driving friend!
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 16:31   #6
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review

So refreshing to see a 2013 bolero review on TBHP! I drove my friend's TDI bolero and was blown away by its low end torque. We were going through the satyamangalam ghats and it couldn't be more effortless! Bolero is my dream car but I can't buy because of parking restrictions in my apartment. Hope to buy a bigger apartment first and then the car
Old 24th July 2013, 20:14   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Bolero.

While others are discussing about waiting periods of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport, your selection is interesting. I like the raw power of Bolero and it's powerful air conditioner. Have you planned any mod job..?
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 11:14   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your stunning black Bolero, its character really comes out in black.

BTW my idea of beautifying, rather adding more to its character might sound a little too much but think a bit with an open mind:
1. Paint the top in white - it will really look good plus you have the advantage of cooler more efficient AC in summers, also the ridge line skirting the top will make it all the more easy to do the job and it will look as if it came painted that way, people might even ask you if M&M is doing this new paint job.

2. Its more of a run of the mill idea - bull bars with additional lamps housing clamps etc, with some nice looking round extra lights.

3. Alloy wheels would be nice - with a little broader foot print, let the tyres remain only the design of alloys which come out a little.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Congratulations on your stunning black Bolero, its character really comes out in black.

BTW my idea of beautifying, rather adding more to its character might sound a little too much but think a bit with an open mind:
1. Paint the top in white - it will really look good plus you have the advantage of cooler more efficient AC in summers, also the ridge line skirting the top will make it all the more easy to do the job and it will look as if it came painted that way, people might even ask you if M&M is doing this new paint job.

2. Its more of a run of the mill idea - bull bars with additional lamps housing clamps etc, with some nice looking round extra lights.

3. Alloy wheels would be nice - with a little broader foot print, let the tyres remain only the design of alloys which come out a little.
Thank you for taking the time. I have decided not to go for add-ons as of now.

When I do, I will change the tires to a wider one, keep rims coz its durable and can taking beating (comparatively to Alloys). Will chrome rims. No bull bar, adds weight and my fears of adding damage in case of a collusion. Thank you for the thot. appreciate it.

U do realize that the color is Java Brown not black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Congratulations on your new Bolero.

While others are discussing about waiting periods of Renault Duster and Ford EcoSport, your selection is interesting. I like the raw power of Bolero and it's powerful air conditioner. Have you planned any mod job..?
Why I didnt go for Eco and Duster. I wanted a ride that would last on our terrain. No offence, but I wasnt ready to shell out triple Duster's actual cost in India. I know its cheaply built (Bolero too) and may not make it on the long run. Eco, i love the design...but its a Ford. For me, I consider Ford to be my Jinx.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th July 2013 at 19:01. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time.
Old 25th July 2013, 19:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I saw the B&W pic and mistook it to be black, but the Jawa brown is actually the new mojo for Bolero and looks in its element. Makes sense about the bull bars. But imagine a Jawa brown Bolero with off white top, it will look stunning. I was looking at all the Boleros today on the road, and boy there are many, I noticed that the top only paint job can be done very easily, think about it.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Congrats for the beast. I do get the privilege of driving my friend's Bolero frequently and yes, I agree and can relate to the points that you mentioned.

On the idea of the white roof, since your Bolero is Java Brown, an off-white/cream colour roof would be good (my pure opinion). A-la-Mini Cooper(?)

Maybe like a caffe latte
Happy Driving.

^^ Just noticed that the previous post had not displayed when I quoted your message. Seems similar idea from original suggestor!

Last edited by karpusv : 26th July 2013 at 11:10.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 14:54   #12
BHPian

I also own a Bolero SLX, Jan 2012 model, credit- Team-Bhp & Indian Autos blog who helped me take this decision.

Coming to your review, it is as simplistic as the vehicle itself. As someone rightly said on Team-Bhp, Bolero isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
There is absolutely no blind spot for bolero.
I differ to this one point of yours. May be, you are relatively a new owner and that is why you didn't noticed it. I am not sure what we call it A pillar or what where the windscreen connects with body on the driver side, sometimes while taking a right turn on a you simply may not be able to see a cyclist or a pedestrian. It happened with me twice Other wise it is a perfect commuter for some one like me who loves the feel of driving it, like a big machinery (truck, may be), which some times also slips from underneath and acts weird when least expected.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
which some times also slips from underneath and acts weird when least expected.
What do you mean by the above statement. Please explain.

Do you find the Bolero acceleration adequate. For example can you comfortably overtake a speeding Haryana Roadways bus?
Old 29th July 2013, 18:58   #14
BHPian

Congrats!. You will never go wrong in a Bolero, The one which stands out of Mahindra's stable ;-) being far more reliable than most of M&M products.

My cousin got one M2DI and its hovering ~100k kms in 3 years and still going strong without any issues, 5k oil change and periodic alignment and balancing, makes the vehicle goes on and on.

When it comes to Indian rural road, Bolero is the king.

I can really understand your point on bikers and autos, i never find a single biker/autowalla cut cross in front of me while riding the Bolero in Chennai, thats something one needs to drive it and believe it.

Anything more than 100 km/h is not advisable, braking is something one needs to get used too in a Bolero.. Need for engine braking is always there for sudden descending.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:24   #15
BHPian

Any body experienced getting a free pass on a toll booth (Barring NHAI tollbooths) after seeing u in a bolero.?

I have been experiencing that over the last 6 months all over kerala.

Its a great vehicle to drive on provided you love Jeeps, loves tall seating positions, love a macho look and more over who loves to get the feel of rugged vehicle which will take you any where on earth! ..

Happy jeeping

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks