Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 10:13   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: The Might of White. Ownership Review

After my brief stint with Polo 1.2 TSi (a small TD), Im convinced that my next car will have DSG/mechatronic/DCT based box. I do not think I will be able to beat these gears with a H-gate gearbx. Maybe with a sequential shifter, not a H for sure.
I always hated Auto boxes (actively prevented anyone in my family from buying one). But DSG has made me a believer.
allajunaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Congrats on the car. Its an excellent little toy. Piece of advice, change the tires now, so u get some moolah for exchange. The stock ones are absolute crap. Get some in 205 or 195 sizing with sticky rubber and u'd be surprised as to how sweet this car can handle.
Which specific tyre do you recommend as I am getting my tsi next weekend - and what do do about the spare which is a 14 in her with higher aspect ratio to match the 185/60/15
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:54   #33
BHPian

Gt tsi and tdi spares are full alloy 15 inch
Old 4th September 2014, 14:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Gt tsi and tdi spares are full alloy 15 inch
dont think thats the case anymore. According to one of the guys who has taken delivery of the new GT TSI, the spare is a steel wheel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3518953
Old 4th September 2014, 14:26   #35
BHPian

Ouch.. oh well less weight. Go for a 205 width tire on stock rims, unless u can afford a set of lightweight 16s. Yoko S drives really transform how the car handles.
Old 7th September 2014, 15:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch.. oh well less weight. Go for a 205 width tire on stock rims, unless u can afford a set of lightweight 16s. Yoko S drives really transform how the car handles.
Prithwi, can the 205's be mounted on the stock rims (widthwise) and does the 205 tyre on the stock rim fit in the spare bin in the boot?

Thanks,

G
Old 7th September 2014, 17:55   #37
BHPian

Yes. Yoko makes a set for 15inch 205!
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 11:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
Prithwi, can the 205's be mounted on the stock rims (widthwise) and does the 205 tyre on the stock rim fit in the spare bin in the boot?

Thanks,

G
I'm using 205-55/15 Yokohama S-drives on the stock rims.
I got a set of 4. But since the spare is the same alloy, you can mount this tyre on it as well.

I did delve into this a bit when I bought the car and found that 205 is the max you can go on the stock rims.

Last edited by mango_pal : 8th September 2014 at 11:53.
Old 8th September 2014, 13:04   #39
BHPian

Just to update, completed a year and 10,000 Kms this Aug. All good so far.Fuel economy averages 11.5 Kms/Ltr. Times when I get around 13 and then there are times(largely peak hour) when I get around 9.5 Kms/Ltr. Highways return about 14.5-15 Km/Ltr though I haven't done any long highway runs so far.
No niggles so far - and relieved to have bought the 2 year extended warranty. The car continues to be zippy, smooth and effortless as always and hoping it remains so.
Had planned to drive interstate and took it for a test spin on the Nice road and found that at very high speeds, relative to my XUV500, there is significant tyre noise seeping into the cabin. And at the end of the day despite all its power and greatness I need to remind myself that the GT is still a small car. So while the the XUV holds its own on highways, few cars can replace the GT for City drives.
Old 17th September 2014, 23:04   #40
BHPian

Great review and thanks for the update. I'm on the verge of deciding between the polo and vento GT TSI. I still need to make up my mind if the Rs 3 lakh difference is worth the extra legroom, boot space and sedan status.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Great review and thanks for the update. I'm on the verge of deciding between the polo and vento GT TSI. I still need to make up my mind if the Rs 3 lakh difference is worth the extra legroom, boot space and sedan status.
There's Polo GT TSI and there's Vento TSI. There is no Vento GT TSI.

Choice should completely depend on your requirement whether you want comfortable rear legroom and a sedan. If you have made up your mind for a 'small' car worth INR9L, then deciding the other part should be easier!
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:42   #42
BHPian

Hello and thanks for an excellent review here on the tsi.
I too have aquired one earlier this month, and as you have rightly mentioned Its hard to let go off.

Pardon my ignorance, but I wasnt aware the car rolled out with cornering lights till I drove it out of the showroom.

Also, now the deal pedal is in place and is very helpful.
What came as a big surprise was the spare wheel. Apart from not being an alloy, its smaller!! I mean its a 14" wheel as opposed to the 15's, and has a wall height of 70. Thus limiting max speed of 40 kmph when in use!

The horn still stays loud and is still hard to reach out to, till the time you get used to the console.
Love everything about the engine, but dsg transition reliability is a slight hitch I feel as you also have mentioned.

I'm simply loving the overall experience and will travel to mumbai soon from goa. Will write in a detailed review then.

Regards,
HR.
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 00:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I managed to get a test drive of the Vento TSI before i booked the Polo GT TSI.
The Polo did much better in terms of handling.

Also, i am 6'4". Polo is a little cramped up specially at the rear. I still went in for it as my second car.

This said, the Vento is also a good car. We were four of us when we test drove both cars. I just happened to find the Polo a better deal.

Hope by now you have arrived at your decision.
All the best.
HR.
Old 4th December 2014, 23:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post
Just to update, completed a year and 10,000 Kms this Aug. All good so far.Fuel economy averages 11.5 Kms/Ltr. Times when I get around 13 and then there are times(largely peak hour) when I get around 9.5 Kms/Ltr. Highways return about 14.5-15 Km/Ltr though I haven't done any long highway runs so far.
No niggles so far - and relieved to have bought the 2 year extended warranty. The car continues to be zippy, smooth and effortless as always and hoping it remains so.
Had planned to drive interstate and took it for a test spin on the Nice road and found that at very high speeds, relative to my XUV500, there is significant tyre noise seeping into the cabin. And at the end of the day despite all its power and greatness I need to remind myself that the GT is still a small car. So while the the XUV holds its own on highways, few cars can replace the GT for City drives.
What petrol quality do you use?
Old 5th December 2014, 09:41   #45
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
What petrol quality do you use?
The usual lighter on the pocket normal Petrol

Quote:
Have you made the decision ? If I were in this Dilemma, I would probably decide based on whether this is my first or second car. If a first, then the Vento makes sense. Boot space will come in handy for long drives besides the sedan status. That said, if you do buy the Polo now, whenever you do decide to buy another(your second/third etc) car, another 3 lacs kept 'unused' in the 'buy a car' budget makes the purchase a lot easier. All things considered, 3 Lacs still is a lot of money. So really a win win scenario whichever you buy based on your context.

To update, nearing 12,000 Kms now. Fortunately have had no niggles so far and have had the first service as well. Rs 10,000 is what they charged me so not sure if delighted with the annual service expense despite no issues with the car. XUV, costs me a lot less per year to maintain.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2014 at 12:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks