Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Alto LXi - My latest possesion

I searched the forum for a new ALTO before I made a car buying decision. What I did find was on a used old version Alto VXi. Maruti has made a new look Alto toward the end of last year.

I decided to get my hands on it. My family had owned 3 M800s earlier, so I knew pretty much about the car and the manufacturer. After proper research on dealers and their offers(which I later found was all crap)

I took delivery of my car last week. The initial feel was awesome compared to the M800s.

Features of the Alto LXi

1.Power steering
I just love the steering which is power assisted. U turns on chennai roads were a breeze. The M800 I had to turn like it was a lorry.

2. Booster brakes
You just have to feel the brake pedal and the car stops. The car also has a standard high mount brake light mounted on the boot. Good to keep crazy metro lorries and MTC buses see that I am braking.

3.Powerful AC
The Ac was cooling with full effect. I certainly feel the AC is a bit too powerful for the 800cc engine. You know the difference the moment you get to the highway, rev a little or while overtaking.The rotary controls are easy to use.

4.Interiors
The car looks decent inside. The dashboard is well laid although it doesnt come close to the swift interiors. The instrumentation is also neatly positioned. The pedals, lever are all to my liking. Not sure whether it would work with taller drivers. The seats are fabric type. Need to have a seat cover to protect the original.Maruti says that Alto is a 5 seater. I dont think so.
It can comfortably seat 4 adults and 1 child or some other combinations. The OE tinted is absolutely waste. I had to stick sun film to keep out the blazing chennai heat. Has seat belts in the rear as well.

5.Exteriors
The car comes with fibre bumpers. No option to match the body. Luckily my car is black so not much difference. The car has a useful headlamp leveling device used to increase headlight position according to load conditions. It is clear headlights.The fit and finish is typical Maruti quality.

6.Performance
Decent performance typical of Maruti. Gear shift, suspension etc is all breeze. Not checked mileage as yet. The MPFI is proved to give fair numbers even in city.

I look forward to a long innings with this car. I just looked at the reliabilty and the service & spares backup from Maruti.
Old 19th June 2006, 12:03   #2
BHPian

Great! Congrats.... dude. Your Alto looks good. Happy driving.
Old 19th June 2006, 22:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am already jealous:(:(.Going to buy an alto in sometime and was thinking about going for silver or blue and seeing your black alto ALL PLANS CANCELLED.I am buying a black alto now.
Old 19th June 2006, 23:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very informative report.

Bring this car for the Chennai meet/drive.
Old 20th June 2006, 01:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
I am already jealous:(:(.Going to buy an alto in sometime and was thinking about going for silver or blue and seeing your black alto ALL PLANS CANCELLED.I am buying a black alto now.
My color choice was also as fast as yours. The primary reason was the almost body matching bumpers. Will look even better if you paint it.
Old 20th June 2006, 01:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Very informative report.

Bring this car for the Chennai meet/drive.
When are we having the meet, Nitrous??
Old 25th June 2006, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps of the interiors:

Old 5th July 2006, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Mate. I got my Alto bumpers painted to body colour

One piece of advice never try to close the bonnet by pressing it, simply drop it from a height. If you press the bonnet too hard it will put a dent, i have got one on mine that too because of the guy who was fixing the horn on my car(got roots dual horn)
Old 5th July 2006, 16:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice car, ajo. Looks real cool - black anyway is a killer as far as looks are concerned. With gas prices going up every few months, you would be one among the scores of other M800/Alto owners that would be grinning all your way to the bank.
BTW, today's MetroPlus supplement of The Hindu has a shootout of all hatches - Xeta, Alto, Palio, WagonR and Santro (they omitted the Swift and Getz, maybe due to the price being higher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
The M800 I had to turn like it was a lorry.
Agree with you on this as far as the current crop of indigenous M800s are concerned - feels the same way on our '99 model M800. However, it was a different story altogether with the 1st batch of M800s - the steering of our '85 model M800 was a breeze and almost as effortless as power steering. Somewhere along the path of indigenisation, quality seems to have taken a back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
One piece of advice never try to close the bonnet by pressing it, simply drop it from a height. If you press the bonnet too hard it will put a dent, i have got one on mine that too because of the guy who was fixing the horn on my car
Dropping the bonnet from a height ? Man, I can imagine my car shrieking in pain. I hate it when the mechanics drop the bonnet like that and if I am around, I intervene and slowly bring the bonnet down and lock it with a final firm press. I am not sure about the Alto, but did not cause any dents with my M800s and Baleno. But, then I guess, it also depends where we push down - if you push somewhere in the middle of the bonnet, there is a possibility of a dent happening (given the thin sheets that the Japs use). But pressing the edge of the bonnet should IMO not result in a dent as that part would be stronger.
Old 5th July 2006, 17:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Dropping the bonnet from a height ? Man, I can imagine my car shrieking in pain. I hate it when the mechanics drop the bonnet like that and if I am around, I intervene and slowly bring the bonnet down and lock it with a final firm press. I am not sure about the Alto, but did not cause any dents with my M800s and Baleno. But, then I guess, it also depends where we push down - if you push somewhere in the middle of the bonnet, there is a possibility of a dent happening (given the thin sheets that the Japs use). But pressing the edge of the bonnet should IMO not result in a dent as that part would be stronger.
Yes Sir thats what even I always belived in, but after looking at that small dent I better hear the thud than getting teh dent bigger. I was advised by teh MUL service guys that this problem is presnt in Alto & Wagon R & he said that dropping the bonnet for closing is perfectly fine
Old 5th July 2006, 17:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

the dents happened in my Uno all because of an ignorant driver I hired..and could not be repaired as it was a double lined (another layer of sheet metal on the inside) under the hood... so be careful...pressing can cause dents
Old 5th July 2006, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yep same with Alto its double layered at the lock place. I was told that to remove that tiny-viny dent they will need to do a complete denting\painting work which meant repainting the bonnet :( So I decided to keep it as it is
Old 5th July 2006, 18:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Nice car, ajo. Looks real cool - black anyway is a killer as far as looks are concerned.

BTW, today's MetroPlus supplement of The Hindu has a shootout of all hatches - Xeta, Alto, Palio, WagonR and Santro

the steering of our '85 model M800 was a breeze and almost as effortless as power steering.

But pressing the edge of the bonnet should IMO not result in a dent as that part would be stronger.

Thanks for the compliments. BTW how do you maintain your black Baleno?

Swift and Getz compete at the higher end of the market, hence would have been kept out. The report was not very interesting, but gave a more or less clear picture. Better than most auto mags.

I am pleased with the power steering. Its the best part of the ride. I always use the harder portion of the bonnet to close it.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 5th July 2006 at 18:05.
Old 5th July 2006, 18:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Which portion are you refereing to here ?? The center place has dual metal sheets & this is exactly where you get a depression if pressed hard
Old 5th July 2006, 18:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Which portion are you refereing to here ?? The center place has dual metal sheets & this is exactly where you get a depression if pressed hard
The portion that touches the bumper. The nose portion not the center of the bonnet. I usually drop it. Sometimes I press it carelessly. Will take care next time.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 5th July 2006 at 18:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks