Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 20:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20: The 'right' car for one's senior folk. My reasoning & choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One more query.
The OEM horn in the I20 is horribly inadequate.
We want to fix a simple Bosch Horn for the car. This requires a relay switch.
Will fixing this compromise anything in ref the wiring and safety harness etc?
Will it impact the warranty?

Please advise!
Thanks!
Dear Shankar,

You are right, the OEM horn in an i20 is inadequate. I have got an additional horn installed from the Hyundai ASS during the first service of the car. I was told by the service advisor to get another low pitched horn installed as that will solve the problem and it worked fine. I do not remember exactly but I think the cost was less than Rs.300 all inclusive with no threat to the warranty as the job was carried out and billed by Hyundai Service centre.

So my suggestion would be to try this option and it should give you the desired result.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 06:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Dear Shankar,

You are right, the OEM horn in an i20 is inadequate. I have got an additional horn installed from the Hyundai ASS during the first service of the car. I was told by the service advisor to get another low pitched horn installed as that will solve the problem and it worked fine. I do not remember exactly but I think the cost was less than Rs.300 all inclusive with no threat to the warranty as the job was carried out and billed by Hyundai Service centre.

So my suggestion would be to try this option and it should give you the desired result.

Best Wishes

We have been to three Hyundai service centres so far with a request to them to fit a simple Rs 627/- Bosch Horn which we bought at a car accessories shop.
Both of them have warned us of dire consequences to the airbags, warranties and everything else.
I believe a relay is required. I also believe they have to remove the bumper and replace the existing horns with the new ones.
Provided they do not have to cut and splice wires and so on, we are happy to get this done professionally.
However, so far, no dice!

What next?
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 08:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, what would the price be for Dolphin covers from Konark for the I20?
I had paid around Rs 6000.

Quote:
We have been to three Hyundai service centres so far with a request to them to fit a simple Rs 627/- Bosch Horn which we bought at a car accessories shop.
Both of them have warned us of dire consequences to the airbags, warranties and everything else.
I believe a relay is required. I also believe they have to remove the bumper and replace the existing horns with the new ones.
Provided they do not have to cut and splice wires and so on, we are happy to get this done professionally.

What next?
When I switched to Bosch Symphony horns, the accessory shop owner told that a relay is not needed in case of i20. He didn't even remove the bumper. He just opened the bonnet, raised the horizontal plastic panel just above the bumper, slid his hands through the gap, removed the OEM horn and just added the new horns. My SA very well knew that the horns were replaced but he didn't tell anything about the warranty. Later when one of the main wiring in my car had some problem, they didn't create any issue and just replaced it under warranty. The Bosch horns conked off within a year and I replaced them with Roots Windtone. The similar approach was followed by the shop guy here too. But as you have mentioned, its always a good option to proceed professionally.

Which service centres did you approach? I'm going to Advaith Hyundai, ORR this evening to pick up my car which I had left for a small repair. Let me check with my SA regarding this.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I had paid around Rs 6000.

The similar approach was followed by the shop guy here too. But as you have mentioned, its always a good option to proceed professionally.

Which service centres did you approach? I'm going to Advaith Hyundai, ORR this evening to pick up my car which I had left for a small repair. Let me check with my SA regarding this.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

I will ask Dad to pop across to that Konark Accessories Shop and get this done for him. Rs 6000 for the seat covers is very reasonable indeed.

My Dad went to the Hyundai service near Agara lake.
And the Hyundai guys in Madras - both KUN and Vinayak.
All of them had the same apprehensions.
Old 9th April 2014, 10:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:

What next?
Yes, for a Bosch horn they will take you through to all kind of possibilities. Fitment of a new horn in an i20 is little tedious job which requires a lot of time and most of the dealers would try and avoid fitting an extra horn since it does not bring them the kind of revenue compared to the time utilised for fitting an horn. No relay is required. I have got additional low pitch horns installed in my four Hyundai cars (Santro, i10A/T, i20 and Grand i10)without a relay and they work perfectly fine. No wire cutting is required and they add a coupler to fix wires.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:23   #36
BHPian

Yup. Me too got the multi tone Polo/Vento/Octavia horn fitted to my i20 from an independant garage. In my case though, they removed the front bumper and fixed it just below the front grill. (Mine is a pre-facelift version) No cutting of wires were required and no relay was added. Its been more than a year now and touchwood, I havent faced any issues til now. Ofcourse, I use these horns extremely rarely as it tends to startle other motorists when honked from a close range.
Old 10th April 2014, 09:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Dad went to the Hyundai service near Agara lake.
And the Hyundai guys in Madras - both KUN and Vinayak.
All of them had the same apprehensions.
I asked my SA regarding the horn replacement last evening and he gave me the same answers which you have got from the other service centres. So I guess the only option now is to get it done from outside.
Old 11th April 2014, 09:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Extended Warranty - To Buy or Not to Buy!

My Dad seems to be in a sort of quandary about the Extended Warranty for his brand new I20.

When we bought the car almost 3 months ago the dealership was absolutely brand new - just getting registered etc. So they were not able to give us the Extended Warranty right on the day we took the car.
Now, however, all their formalities etc are complete and they are ready to provide us with the Extended Warranty.

Warranty/ Extended Warranty info:
The Hyundai I 20 comes with a 2 Year warranty from the factory
One can buy an extended warranty for the 3rd year, or for the 3rd and 4th years, or if one likes, for the 3rd,4th and 5th years.
If you buy the Ext Warranty for three additional years within the first three months of buying the car, you pay around Rs 15000 for it.
If you buy the said Ext Warranty (for three additional years), after the first three months and before the end of your first warranty period of two years, then you pay around Rs 17000 odd for it.

Issues with I20's:
I have not heard serious issues about the Hyundai I20. In general Hyundai vehicles are quite reliable and solid, even though they have tons of fiddlybits and electronics and hundreds of tech type features in them.
One of the few issues I keep reading about on TBHP is this steering rattle issue. Other than this, it is the plastic gears which enable the wing mirrors to fold in and out.

Our use case:
My Dad's I20 is brand new. It has just had its first service when it had done 750 kms. Now it has hit 1150 kms or so. By the end of this month it just might have hit 1500 ams.
All this points to the standard average usage of 500 -600kms per month or so at the max. Apart from this, my Dad maintains his vehicle in absolutely pristine condition. He is extremely careful with it and does not generally allow drivers and valets etc to drive it. Basically no one other than he or I, get to drive his vehicles.

To buy or not to buy the Extended Warranty:
Even in the scenario as described above, I feel that for complete peace of mind, it is important and sensible for us to invest in the Extended Warranty.
Just in case something mechanical or electronic goes haywire over then next 5 years of ownership, at least one is absolutely sure that one is covered against such eventualities.
I would always advocate that one should never count costs when it comes to things like this. Preventive maintenance and in this case, "Anticipatory Bail" by way of Extended Warranty, is an absolutely essential purchase and not to be considered a luxury or a frill.

When one spends 7.5 lacs to buy a nice spanking brand new car, why jib at the additional 15K? In percentage terms it is just 2%!

When considered over 5 years, it barely comes to Rs 250 per month, which is probably equal to what you would be paying for your daily newspapers.

Even if considered over 3 years, it barely hits Rs 425 per month, which is probably what you would be paying for one room's cable TV/ Set Top Box subscription cost!

Conclusion:
In short, it is nothing but sheer penny wisdom and pound foolishness, if one were not to opt for an Extended Warranty when faced with the choice. The cost of it is truly negligible when considering the peace of mind that one gets when one buys one.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 14:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty - To Buy or Not to Buy!

Quote:
One can buy an extended warranty for the 3rd year, or for the 3rd and 4th years, or if one likes, for the 3rd,4th and 5th years.
If you buy the Ext Warranty for three additional years within the first three months of buying the car, you pay around Rs 15000 for it.
If you buy the said Ext Warranty (for three additional years), after the first three months and before the end of your first warranty period of two years, then you pay around Rs 17000 odd for it.
http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...dWarranty.aspx

Please check Hyundai website for the break up of extended warranty price for only 3rd year / 3rd+4th year and 3rd+4th+5th year. (service tax extra)

Also check on this web-page for list of items covered / not covered under extended warranty, and then decide accordingly.

I would strongly advise you to buy at least the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty as it comes pretty cheap (compared to the price of the car). I also took only the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty for my i10 purchased in Jan 2009, and thankfully never had the misfortune of having to use it.

5th year extended warranty cost higher, compared to the 3rd and 4th year. I personally don't feel the need for 5th year extended warranty for a reliable and stable product which has been in the market for quite some time.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 14:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty - To Buy or Not to Buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...dWarranty.aspx

Please check Hyundai website for the break up of extended warranty price for only 3rd year / 3rd+4th year and 3rd+4th+5th year. (service tax extra)

5th year extended warranty cost higher, compared to the 3rd and 4th year. I personally don't feel the need for 5th year extended warranty for a reliable and stable product which has been in the market for quite some time.

Rohan
Oh I m buying it mate. Most certainly. But thanks for posting whats covered and whats not.
Old 11th April 2014, 22:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

It looks like the extended warranty options have changed. When I got the car three years back (diesel variant), there was only one option of 3rd year extended warranty or 80,000 km. Now my car has crossed 80K km before the completion of 3 years. I have used the extended warranty thrice for replacing the extremely delicate AC vent adjusters and once for replacing a wiring. In the case of vent adjuster, they don't just replace the adjuster but the whole vent itself. I guess it costs upward of Rs 2000.

The vent adjuster in i20 breaks off very easily even if utmost care is taken. I have seen many instances in this forum where service center taking the customers for a ride by mentioning that the vents are not covered under extended warranty. So please inform your dad about this so that he doesn't fall into their antics.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 00:16   #42
BANNED

Quote:
It looks like the extended warranty options have changed. When I got the car three years back (diesel variant), there was only one option of 3rd year extended warranty or 80,000 km. Now my car has crossed 80K km before the completion of 3 years. I have used the extended warranty thrice for replacing the extremely delicate AC vent adjusters and once for replacing a wiring. In the case of vent adjuster, they don't just replace the adjuster but the whole vent itself. I guess it costs upward of Rs 2000.

The vent adjuster in i20 breaks off very easily even if utmost care is taken. I have seen many instances in this forum where service center taking the customers for a ride by mentioning that the vents are not covered under extended warranty. So please inform your dad about this so that he doesn't fall into their antics.
Thanks a lot for this information. Actually My ac went adjustor from both the sides of the vents were broken somehow, and i was told its not under warranty and costs Rs2500 each.
However i knew a guy at HSS, who got it replaced for me for free. And now the AC vent adjuster of the center console is broken, I guess they would ask me to replace the whole console now
Old 12th April 2014, 02:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It loohe extremely delicate AC vent adjusters and once for replacing a wiring. In the case of vent adjuster, they don't just replace the adjuster but the whole vent itself. I guess it costs upward of Rs 2000.

This is a good heads up. Thank you for the details.
We will be prepared for this eventuality.
Old 12th April 2014, 18:05   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Extended warranty for diesel i20 is provided only for one year where as for petrol they provide for 3 years. I would strongly suggest that you buy the extended warranty for at least 2 years so that you will have peace of mind for 4 years
Old 12th April 2014, 19:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Extended warranty for diesel i20 is provided only for one year where as for petrol they provide for 3 years.
Hyundai has slightly changed the warranty structure for i20 diesel. Now its 4 years/80000 km or 3 years/60000 km. Its mentioned in the link which rohan_iitr has mentioned. We had only one option earlier i.e, 3 years/80000 km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks