Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 09:14   #661
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Why starter motor failure after few years, my Nano ( 2012) model had thermostat failure after 4000 km and one year (I normally don't service in ASC so I had to bear the cost) and took some time to get the part even when Nano sales was at its prime (?)..That was the reason I didnot go for Tata vehicles when we purchased Spresso ( really liked Punch but did not have the confidence to buy) as MSIL is a tried, tested and most reliable product in India and don't regret it.
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 18:42   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

Total cost of maintaining this car in the last 1 year: Around ₹20,000
Current market value: ₹60,000 despite being in mint condition
@Nissan1180, How much kms has yours gone through?

The major expenses I had on 2014 Nano twist XT (currently odo is 20500km only) were:-

1. Around ₹20k in 2019. I hit a big curb and front passenger rim got bent. Did the repair at Tata service. Replaced the Rim, tyre, front suspension parts and a general service.

2. Around ₹23k in 2022. Car was kept in apartment basement during Covid for year and half. The battery was stock and I expected it to be changed. However jump start didn't work and had to tow it to a FNG. Starter motor need to be serviced. Fuel pump replaced, battery changed, AC gas refill etc.

3. Future expense:
Now car has put some 4000 kms more as it's my only drive now. There some electrical issues with audio. Can hear through speaker some kind of short circuits sound when you hit some potholes. It's not consistent, but it is there. So I keep audio turned off. Sometimes the speedometer mileage reading flickers, sometimes there is no display. One bump to the speedometer, the display works. Tyres seems to be ready for replacement (have never replaced any except front left one).

Yeah the annual expenses are coming close to ₹20k. Recently while filling petrol, there was some leak. The rubber elbow pipe had some cracks. Such simple parts were not readily available in Tata service. Ordered the same from boodmo and got it replaced at FNG.

I am thinking to keep it for few more years. One interesting aspect of this car is that its exclusive now. In our apartment (2000 plus units), its just one Nano car. Prior to Covid there were three. When I drive to office, the security doesn't need to see the employee badge. Colleagues gets suprised to see a 6 footer can comfortably sit in it. If i can keep it running for 4 more years, it will be even more unique

Selling the car doesn't matter anymore as you can't buy a new scooter for its worth. So will just keep it as long it's runs.
Name:  IMG_20230118_184101.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  193.5 KB
jthomas is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 19:36   #663
Senior - BHPian

To be honest i think you're complaining a bit too much.
If you look at this forum, you'll see a lot of owners of foreign brand cars hunting for replacement starter motors, while for most Tata cars the starter can be overhauled. My indica starter was overhauled too, at around 14 years. It's a wear and tear component, the brushes will wear out eventually for any car.

I think you are one of the few people still taking their car to the service center. Most of us were happy to switch to an fng the moment our warranties were over because the quality is much higher. And unlike a lot of other brands, Tata doesn't force you to go to a service center because you have good aftermarket availability.

If you know your way around boodmo, parts are not that hard to get. It's just that parts availability in traditional retail channels is low because the prices are so cheap that the margins are not enough for shops to stock them.

Yes Tata cars are hard to maintain these days because they were designed and built around a decade old philosophy which assumed cheap labour and cheap parts gave low cost of ownership even though more work was involved. Nowadays inflation has driven up labour costs, while automation and process improvements have driven up parts quality and lowered costs of competitors so the Tata strategy doesn't work any more. Especially if you're in an urban area. If you're in a rural area, or have access to cheap labour, a Tata car can still make sense.

But i totally get where you're coming from. I spent 80k+ on my own indica last year getting it ready for the registration. But i also know plenty of people using it in rural areas and extremely happy with it
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 21:19   #664
BHPian

Our Nano Twist underwent a suspension and steering rack replacement at Progressive Motors in Ahmedabad. The service experience was good and the service advisors fully supported us, although the parts took a while to arrive.

Total expense- Rs. 16,500

There is a significant difference in the ride quality now- potholes are tolerable and the suspension sounds have disappeared.

While I maintain that TML management needs to revisit its QC processes, it is also true that the TML service stations have some of the most well trained people in the sector. The SA said that parts for the Nano are still in production and would continue to be available for the next few years.
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 11:40   #665

Just happened to see this in my timeline. My 2012 nano (odo @ 141000+) was parked for 4months with no usage since i was out of town. Came back did a clean and found AC wont start. TML said 30K. Went to a nearby shop found the coil to be faulty. Replaced with a total cost of 7k. Planning to give a makeover. This little wonder has many memories. Was just compelled to write this. I think i am over how much it takes to maintain, now it is becoming a unique eye catchy event to drive a nano to office and malls or premium restaurants. I might hold it for a long time to come coz its utility and running cost is not near the baleno or harrier that i have access to.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven-e11077a6a4fb4a58b1f9a0fd07fbc33b.jpeg  

sramven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 17:25   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Our Nano Twist underwent a suspension and steering rack replacement at Progressive Motors in Ahmedabad. The service experience was good and the service advisors fully supported us, although the parts took a while to arrive.
Looks like it is time to visit the workshop again. The brake or handbrake got stuck today and I don’t know if there’s a way to drive it there without hiring a towing van. If anyone has a suggestion about how to get the car unstuck, please let me know.

Honestly, the car is not reliable anymore despite all the expenses and care.
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:37   #667
BHPian

I’d like to share an update about our Nano Twist.
We completed a trip from Ahmedabad to Mumbai today and the car completed the trip without any issues. In fact, I was surprised to see the car deliver a mileage of 24.5 kmpl (displayed) with AC and full load even after 9 years.
If one can live with the NVH and the lack of airbags/ABS, the Nano is still a good buy for folks who want an economical mode of personal transport. I’ll retain this car for as long as parts are available.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks