Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 23:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Multi Function Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifts.

A little something dropped into Arush's (Autopsyche) mailbox on saturday.

I have been a fan of the paddle shifts right from 2006 when I first drove the Honda Civic Automatic. It added sportiness to the car. At all times I have driven friend's or family's Civic Automatic, I have always used the Paddle Shift Mode rather than the Automatic Mode.

Though I haven't driven much around with the Flappy paddles, but my love for them never dropped.

Last year, I bought my 1st Automatic Tranny car i.e. The Hyundai Elantra but the car did not offer the Flappy Paddles even as an option. I was dejected.

Come April 2014, I got my 2nd Automatic Car ie the Neeli Pari but again, no paddle shifts ( though I feel they should have been provided by Skoda for the price that they charge.)

This time around though, I had an option. I saw many people talking about VAGTUNE offering multi function steering wheels with paddle shifts for polo and the likes.

One fine day, I contacted him to check if he has the steering wheel for the Octavia. He told me that there is a steering wheel available however he did not have one in stock. He promised me to revert back when he has one in stock. He also advised me that the install was possible at Autopsyche. Since I knew Arush for some years now, I asked him to order 1 piece for me and so he did.

This mid-week, Sugesh (VAGTUNE) sent me a copy of the tracking number of the shipment.

On saturday, 17th May, Arush contacted me about the arrival of the same and it was decided to get the install done on Tuesday 20th May since I was busy on Sunday and monday.

However , as it turned out, Autopsyche was closed on tuesday so I sent my car today itself.

A 30 min job and Arush was kind enough to click some pictures for me of the install.

I'll not bore you guys more and let the pics do the talking.

------------

The Beauty ( Paddle shifts seen here)

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0501.jpg

vRS badging and 3 spoke steering compared to the 5 spoke which is originally fitted.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0504.jpg

vRS badging again.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0510.jpg

Steering Controls and Flappy Paddles poking out.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0517.jpg

Original Steering being dismantled.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0523.jpg

Airbag Assembly being detached.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0529.jpg

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0531.jpg

Airbag Assembly removed. Also a comparo of the original and the new steering.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0535.jpg

The original steering being removed.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0536.jpg

The original steering removed.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0540.jpg

The new steering being fitted.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0541.jpg

The new steering being tightened to its new home..

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0547.jpg

Steering assembly being connected.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0549.jpg

The Gorgeous Steering.

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0558.jpg

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-dsc_0564.jpg
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 07:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

I have been a fan of the paddle shifts right from 2006 when I first drove the Honda Civic Automatic. It added sportiness to the car. At all times I have driven friend's or family's Civic Automatic, I have always used the Paddle Shift Mode rather than the Automatic Mode.

Though I haven't driven much around with the Flappy paddles, but my love for them never dropped.

Last year, I bought my 1st Automatic Tranny car i.e. The Hyundai Elantra but the car did not offer the Flappy Paddles even as an option. I was dejected.

Come April 2014, I got my 2nd Automatic Car ie the Neeli Pari but again, no paddle shifts ( though I feel they should have been provided by Skoda for the price that they charge.)

This time around though, I had an option. I saw many people talking about VAGTUNE offering multi function steering wheels with paddle shifts for polo and the likes.

One fine day, I contacted him to check if he has the steering wheel for the Octavia. He told me that there is a steering wheel available however he did not have one in stock. He promised me to revert back when he has one in stock. He also advised me that the install was possible at Autopsyche. Since I knew Arush for some years now, I asked him to order 1 piece for
Man you simply rock. You are slowly turning your Octy to VRs. Steering looks gorgeous esp that red stich lines. You will be having a blast with those paddle shifts, upload some videos.
Does this affect the warranty?
Old 20th May 2014, 08:08   #63
BHPian

Re: Multi Function Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifts.

Quote:
One fine day, I contacted him to check if he has the steering wheel for the Octavia. He told me that there is a steering wheel available however he did not have one in stock. He promised me to revert back when he has one in stock. He also advised me that the install was possible at Autopsyche. Since I knew Arush for some years now, I asked him to order 1 piece for me and so he did.
You should get the paddle shift extenders for your steering it increases the fun of paddle shift all the more. You can check those out at Vagtune's site itself. They cost around 5k.
Old 20th May 2014, 08:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Man you simply rock. You are slowly turning your Octy to VRs. Steering looks gorgeous esp that red stich lines. You will be having a blast with those paddle shifts, upload some videos.
Does this affect the warranty?
Thanks mate I will try to click a video as soon as i can and post one here.
Both Vagtune and Autopysche claim that this does not hamper warranty since it is a plug and play job and no wiring or anything is cut / sliced during this install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
You should get the paddle shift extenders for your steering it increases the fun of paddle shift all the more. You can check those out at Vagtune's site itself. They cost around 5k.
I haven't seen them on Vagtune's site. Any pointers?
Old 20th May 2014, 09:13   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen them on Vagtune's site. Any pointers?
You can find them here extenders
Old 20th May 2014, 11:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
You can find them here extenders
Had a talk with Sugesh (VAGTUNE).

This is not compatible with the Octavia's paddle shift.

Secondly, he does not recommend using this since it is aftermarket and is taped on using 3M Tapes/Glues.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Something to go fantastically well with your new toy!
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...ar-knob-skoda/
I am sure Arush can carry out this install as well. It will complete the Interior VRS package, sans the black sport seats and carbon black door trims. The latter should be available soon!
Old 20th May 2014, 18:15   #68
BANNED

Re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

quite late but congrats Abhinav for the Octavia. It looks fabulous in this shade. I saw the pics of this octavia on retro wraps page but never though it is yours. and brilliant mod for the paddle shifters.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 06:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate I will try to click a video as soon as i can and post one here.
Both Vagtune and Autopysche claim that this does not hamper warranty since it is a plug and play job and no wiring or anything is cut / sliced during installation.
As this turns together with the steering wont the driver get confused with +/- esp while parking(steering might have rotated one full circle) or in some sharp turns?
Old 21st May 2014, 08:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Something to go fantastically well with your new toy!
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en...ar-knob-skoda/
I am sure Arush can carry out this install as well. It will complete the Interior VRS package, sans the black sport seats and carbon black door trims. The latter should be available soon!
Thanks man, I will surely keep this in my shopping list

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
quite late but congrats Abhinav for the Octavia. It looks fabulous in this shade. I saw the pics of this octavia on retro wraps page but never though it is yours. and brilliant mod for the paddle shifters.
Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
As this turns together with the steering wont the driver get confused with +/- esp while parking(steering might have rotated one full circle) or in some sharp turns?
It will take time to get used to it. Won't be used for parking as the speeds are slow enough for it to stay in 1st gear or shift in reverse using the gearbox. For sharp turns, there ain't a need for a gear shift but if the need be, the gearbox automatically downshifts if the engine feels that the car is in the wrong gear.
Old 21st May 2014, 15:24   #71
BHPian

Looks like we already have the Team BHP's first Octavia VRS Excellent work abhinav. I am dead sure 6 months from now your car will be completely transformed. Takes a while but can easily get used to the direction and operation of those paddle shifts on twisted sections.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 21st May 2014 at 15:25.
Old 21st May 2014, 18:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

vRS badging and 3 spoke steering compared to the 5 spoke which is originally fitted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Looks like we already have the Team BHP's first Octavia VRS Excellent work abhinav.
Couple that with Black Alloys, a rear spoiler and a couple of VRS badging here and there, and he will surely have the first identical looking Octavia VRS

Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)-2014-octavia-rs.jpg

Excellent modification Abhinav.
_raVan_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Looks like we already have the Team BHP's first Octavia VRS Excellent work abhinav. I am dead sure 6 months from now your car will be completely transformed. Takes a while but can easily get used to the direction and operation of those paddle shifts on twisted sections.
Haha, I did not have all this in mind when I bought the car but yes, now I do. Lets see how it goes. I'll take it step by step from here on, starting with the wraps coming in the coming week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Couple that with Black Alloys, a rear spoiler and a couple of VRS badging here and there, and he will surely have the first identical looking Octavia VRS

Attachment 1242884

Excellent modification Abhinav.
I had thought about the Black Alloys when I purchased the car as they were being offered by Skoda however the showroom was being a miser in terms of buyback of original alloys and thus I decided to give it a skip. Maybe a few years down the line, i might change the alloys to black and a bigger tyre but as of now, it will be a vRS without those alloys.

I am however skeptical on what to do in terms of wraps. The vRS pics i have seen have a black surround around the grill and the side windows, but this picture shows it to be chrome. Help
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:32   #74
BHPian

Excellent work with the paddle shift steering!! I really think they should have included it in the elegance model as standard.
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:36   #75
BHPian

Black grille surround is a OEM Retrofit, or you can get the one you have painted cf wrapped.

Shift pedals make the car so much fun. Since its the DQ200, the car drives 2 gears higher in D than it should for instant acceleration. A quick double tap on the -ve paddle and ur right in the meat of the powerband.

Also start to practice driving it in manual mode using the paddles to shift gears. Will give u helluva edge if u ever plan to autox it. I love it so much that I often find myself putting it in manual mode and driving thru traffic.

Octy VRS has a diffrerent front bumper, which also can be sourced. Would be expensive tho, and u'll need the front fogs. ~ 1L painted n installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks