Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 01:10   #1
BHPian

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

My good old pal, 2007 Swift Diesel was showing signs of aging. The swift has served me very well for 1,80,000 Kms and still doesn’t stop bringing a smile on my face. But it was time to move on.

I was pretty sure of my requirements, all I wanted was a quick car that handled well and has a robust build quality. So when the hunt began just two cars made the cut, the Polo GT, Hyundai i20 and Fiat Punto(For a very short while).

Took a few test drives with the new Polo 1.5 TDI and Hyundai i20, I instantly liked the polo and just could imagine the GT would just be better. I had also test driven the 1.6GT, so I went ahead and booked the GT in Flash red on August 28th(Yes without a Test Drive). At this point I am told that the GT isn’t launched and the delivery dates are very tentative as the production wasn’t underway at the VW plant. I was told that first they would receive the TD cars and then deliveries would begin. If I were lucky then my car would come along with the TD vehicle.

08-09-2014, 9AM get a call from my sales rep, surprise!! My car is here and it’s the only GT TDI they received. To my excitement, am jumping in joy, call up my dad to tell him the news, then he lets go a bummer, we can take the delivery of the vehicle only on 25th not before that . All that excitement comes crashing down. Next day I visit the showroom to see my baby, I find this car gorgeous, the red was so rich that it just stood out in the parking lot. Here are some clicks.

GT Badging moved to the RHS
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_171313.jpg

Gloss Black ORVM
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_170851.jpg

Gloss Black Spoiler
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_170818.jpg

Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_171037.jpg

Piano Black Surrounds
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_171042.jpg

Missing chrome on the light switch
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-20140909_171046.jpg

18th September, Made the balance payment via RTGS transfer. The VW staff were very cooperative and not once did they ask me for the balance payment. Remember they have been holding the car for me since 7th September with just the booking amount of 50K. Now the wait for delivery, this has been a torturous wait

Invoice Details:
Base Price-----------: 7,10,222.22
VAT 12.50%---------: 0,88,777.78
Ex-Showroom Price: 7,99,000.00
Handling Charges--: 0,02,750.00
Registration---------: 0,72,220.00
Others----------------: 0,03,000.00
Insurance 0 Dep----: 0,23,965.00
On Road Price Goa-: 9,00,935.00

Note:
The essentials kit isn't included in my invoice, the mudflaps and floor mats were out of stock.

Please forgive me if if you see any mistakes, the excitement is way to high.
So, The day is here, I finally am going to get my very own GT TDI, to be frank was really nervous.

Reached the dealership accompanied by my parents by 9:45 AM, The car was all ready and I was all set to be a proud owner of the GT. Man she looked stunning!!!

Pic of the GT as we walk in:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-firstlook.jpg

Walked around checking every bit of the car, it was really tough to hold back my excitement. There was a guy who explained to me the important features(I am not sure if I was listening). Got done with the paperwork, handed over some token gifts to the sales team I was in touch with.

Drove straight to the tyre shop and changed the tyres to 205 55 R 15 S Drives.

Have driven about 100Kms So far, here are my initial observations

Positives
  • Excellent power delivery, little slow off the blocks, however once in it's zone about 1300 RPM pulls cleanly to 5K (Am no expert)
  • Feels rock solid
  • Rev Happy
  • Build and finish
  • Good seats, provide good support
  • Steering Wheel, just cant stop drooling
  • All black interiors
  • The engine note, is very addictive
  • Noise insulation is awesome, all that clatter is kept out.
  • I like the braking, stops pretty well
Do not like
  • Feature deficient compared to the i20
  • Bluetooth connectivity is very basic(Even the Figo is better)
  • Poor rear leg room (Came as no surprise)
  • No boot or glove box light
  • Spare wheel isn't an an alloy. Steel rim with a narrower tyre
  • Only one remote
  • Bottle holders are of no use, the bottle falls back on hard acceleration
  • Horn - Intrusive and personally do not like the sound
  • No ashtray and cigarette lighter. Gone is the illuminated ring around the cigarette lighter.
  • Low seating, may not be welcome by elders
Dealer Experience: Mohite Automotive
The interaction and service provided by the sales rep was incredible, from arranging the test drives of the GT TDI 1.6 to multiple test drives of the Polo 1.5 TDI, was an exceptional experience. Things started to fade out as my sales rep was on vacation due to ill health and multiple people were handling my case. Was offered an exorbitant extended warranty of 22448/-. Will rate the total buying experience at just about average or above average. However I rated them high just for the efforts of the sales rep.

A big thank you to my parents and my sister who always stood by me. This would have been impossible without gods blessings.

This was purely a heart over mind buy, took the leap of faith.

Crank the engine and you hear the distinct diesel clatter, however the noise levels inside the cabin is very less and reduces as the engine gets warmer. This doesn't mean the car is silent, step outside the car and it sure is noisy.

Slot it into first and the car moves on smoothly, acceleration is linear unlike the swift which used to jump like a wild cat(I liked this feeling). This GT feels like a tame beast. Step on the pedal and it is raring to go. The gear shift is slick and precise. The engine revs cleanly to 5000 RPM(It's hard to control myself from pushing the car). You wouldn't realize and you would be cruising at 120Kmph.

Driving through traffic is a breeze, dab the throttle and you can feel the car surge ahead. The GT performed well on the ghats as well, and with the upgraded tyres, takes corners pretty well. The torque is addictive and the feeling of constant acceleration is priceless. Can easily take steep inclines in 3rd gear and at times the MID was recommending me to switch to 4th gear, surely would be taking those inclines in 2nd gear in my swift. I personally like the balance but somehow feel the swift took the ghats a tad better, this could be due my comfort levels with the swift, been with me for 7 long years.

Highway driving is a pleasure, haven't really done a very long highway drive nor have I pushed the car to it's limits. You can overtake at ease and am sure is capable of comfortably cruising many hundred miles. Will post my updates on long distance performance shortly(Trip to Mumbai coming up).

Current Fuel economy displayed was ~18Kmpl

Took the car for it's first spin, a short trip to the western ghats and back. Drove a total of 112Kms. Drove with a heavy foot on my way up the ghats and was considerate on my way back. Was really pleased with the handling, was fun to drive and had to stop myself from getting carried away. The 205 patch rubber sure gives you confidence around the bends.

I just am beginning to feel that the 1.6GT had better top end performance, time will only tell.

Mileage shown at the end of the trip was about 18Kmpl

[b]MID for distance covered and mileage:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-kms.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-mileage1.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-mileage2.jpg

Instrument Cluster:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-cluster.jpg

Front View:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-front1.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-front2.jpg

The double barrel Headlights:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-headlightfront.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-headlightside.jpg

Rear:
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-rear.jpg

Side Profile:
The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-side.jpg

Gloss Black OVRM:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-glossblackovrm.jpg

Some Random Clicks:

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-_mg_1487.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-random1.jpg

The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-random2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2014 at 15:25. Reason: Merging posts :)
anshurao is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 29th September 2014, 15:52   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the new GT. My favorite Indian-made hatchback in the market right now. I have a question - is your rear spoiler gloss black as well like the ORVMs?
Old 29th September 2014, 16:01   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride . I am tempted to flick one your pictures to put up as my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Congrats on the new GT. My favorite Indian-made hatchback in the market right now. I have a question - is your rear spoiler gloss black as well like the ORVMs?
Rear spoiler is also gloss back on GTs
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:02   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your Red Devil!! Wow.. excellent pics. I am awaiting my Red Tsi too.Can't get enough of the pics! Did you let go off your Swift? How much did you get for the Swift if you don't mind sharing?
Old 29th September 2014, 17:20   #6
BHPian

Thank you AbelAFC, lalittalwar, microaubin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
As answered by lalittalwar, it is gloss black, same finish as the OVRMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Congratulations on your new ride . I am tempted to flick one your pictures to put up as my avatar

Rear spoiler is also gloss back on GTs
Sure you can use the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Congratulations on your Red Devil!! Wow.. excellent pics. I am awaiting my Red Tsi too.Can't get enough of the pics! Did you let go off your Swift? How much did you get for the Swift if you don't mind sharing?
I still have my swift with me, had a quote for 3L. I really love my Swift and still in two minds.
anshurao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
I still have my swift with me, had a quote for 3L. I really love my Swift and still in two minds.
Wow, that's a nice quote.

Did the VW dealer give you any quote? Mine's a 2008 model Vdi and has only 44k on the odo which means
Old 29th September 2014, 17:56   #8
BHPian

Hi anshurao

Wow! Just wow! The car looks absolutely stunning. Congrats on the buy. I can imagine your excitement on seeing it in flesh. The piano black interiors, ORVM and spoiler goes with the car very well.

I'm looking forward to what you finally think about the 1.5 compared the 1.6. Any Mods or dIYs planned?

Sunny
Old 29th September 2014, 18:11   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new GT. The car looks good in red. Just for my knowledge what is the indicated top speed of the new polo?
Old 29th September 2014, 18:25   #10
BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the GT Club !!

The color looks awesome and must be the envy of neighbours !!

Awesome your on-road price worked out to be less than the moolah some of us GT folks down south have paid for the previous model.
Get some fat rubber on the GT like Vikram's GT(Also Red), the on-road presence is transformed.

I'm curious to know, how is the acceleration and refinement compared to the previous model (If you've had a chance to drive the previous GT).
Also, how is the suspension beyond 100 KM/H ?

Happy GT'ing.
Old 29th September 2014, 18:32   #11
BANNED

Congratulations buddy.

A few points:
  • The best looking hatchbacks in the country till now after the Swift, IMO.

• The best looking colour on a Hatch and does give it the real meaning of 'Hot' Hatch.

• The best looking steering wheel on a hatch and in the segment!

Since yours is the facelift model, why are you on the older alloys? Have you asked it specifically?
Old 29th September 2014, 19:20   #12

Congrats on the new ride buddy ! Looks stunning in that colour and your photos makes it look even more stunning 😁. Drove my Friend's GT TSI for a couple of days. It sure does fly. 😁 Happy GTing !
Old 29th September 2014, 19:39   #13
BHPian

Hello Anshurao,
A well written review and also a great selection of colour, the Polo looks stunning in Red. I'm currently driving the Swift Diesel and It has been with me for the past 6 yrs and hence I'm looking for an upgrade too in the coming months. Could you please tell me about your opinion on the Hyundai Elite i20 and reason for not considering it? And also comment on the NVH levels of your G2 with regard to your swift diesel. Congratulations and Drive safely.
Old 29th September 2014, 21:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!! The car looks stunning. Red is outstanding.

BTW, I thought petrol was cheaper in Goa so any specific reason for the diesel? I do see that you have a lot of running though and maybe probably the torque?
Old 29th September 2014, 22:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations buddy.

A few points:
  • The best looking hatchbacks in the country till now after the Swift, IMO.
  • The best looking colour on a Hatch and does give it the real meaning of 'Hot' Hatch.
  • The best looking steering wheel on a hatch and in the segment!

Since yours is the facelift model, why are you on the older alloys? Have you asked it specifically?
Congrats anshurao!

Please share more interior pics

Absolutely agree with a4anurag on all the above points!

New GT's come with older design alloys (Estrada) which are much better looking than the new design (TOSA)!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks