Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2014, 14:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home

Just a quick update, car xenon head lamps continue to fog (more prominent with the right headlamp). I am still in 2 minds wether to let it be or give the car to the service station (folks please advise).

A lot of new stuff added:

1. Car cover Rs.870 (Snapdeal) pretty decent quality
2. Paddle Shift Extenders (AliExpress)
3. Sunshades from Ebay
4. Tons of cleaning products

Keep tuned, will definitely upload a video review soon as I really want to put it up. In the meantime here are a few pictures:

Car Care Products:

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-20141108_13.51.55.jpg

Car Vacuum and Shampoo Spray Hose Attach:

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-20141108_14.17.04.jpg

Car Sun Shade:

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-20141101_170739.jpg

Car Handle 3M Protector DIY:

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-20141101_170412.jpg

Car Itself....
Attached Thumbnails
2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-20141101_170657.jpg  

Last edited by aseem : 8th November 2014 at 14:21.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 14:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Just a quick update, car xenon head lamps continue to fog (more prominent with the right headlamp). I am still in 2 minds wether to let it be or give the car to the service station (folks please advise).:
Aseem, I had already taken up with VW this issue since I have this problem during wet drives. I have asked for replacement of head lamps under warranty since these are sealed units and nothing much can be done. They said they will revert. I understand, on similar cases Honda had replaced the head lamps (as read in one of the threads). When I mentioned this to VW guys, I could make out that they were aware of that.

Only thing is do not let them experiment with that. And support your complaints with photographs.

(By the way, you have gone berserk man!! Have yoy Scotchgarded the complete car? What is the tab?)
And the car looks cute.

Last edited by alavandar : 8th November 2014 at 14:30. Reason: Line added
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 00:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Aseem, I had already taken up with VW this issue since I have this problem during wet drives. I have asked for replacement of head lamps under warranty since these are sealed units and nothing much can be done. They said they will revert.
Only thing is do not let them experiment with that. And support your complaints with photographs.
You should definitely take the issue with the dealer.In case you think he is washing hands from the issue do not hesitate in drafting an e mail to the manufacturer.
My Superb also suffered from a fogging headlight.
I had even taken pics and videos in support of the same.
Ultimately the dealer had taken the headlamp and done its own tests to verify the leakage.Still no answer was found to as why the headlamp (single) was fogging up.
After exchanging a few e mails got it replaced under warranty within 10 days.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 14:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have written to the dealer. Rather I raised the issue very next day after owning the car on the forum and with them. Still no response. Both the lights are suffering the issue the right one more then the left.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 16:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I have written to the dealer. Rather I raised the issue very next day after owning the car on the forum and with them. Still no response. Both the lights are suffering the issue the right one more then the left.
Please send a detailed complaint e mail of the problem along with photo attachments to customer.care@volkswagen.co.in and also tell them the lack of response from dealer. Also volswagen has a face book page. Paste it on the wall so that everyone can see.
After I had done the above I received calls from vw head office. I was told that they are working on it.
Old 5th December 2014, 19:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Ok so I have been doing some research on the remap. Now I see some modules that plug into OBDII port and no nothing extra is required. So no void of warranty, are they are good and any recommendation?

Secondly, I am seeing 80$ ECU's in ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-VW-DIES...10d2e6&vxp=mtr

So if I buy this ECU and remap it and than keep driving and can always swap back? Is it possible? I don't plan these updates but one should know if its possible right?
Old 5th December 2014, 20:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
if I buy this ECU and remap it and than keep driving and can always swap back? Is it possible? I don't plan these updates but one should know if its possible right?

Aseem, why do you need a second ECU in case of a remap? Your stock map could be flashed back to the ECU whenever you wanna get rid of the remap. It's reversible. If you meant back up, I think it's not really necessary, if you do the remap from reputed tuners using maps from tuning shops with positive reviews worldwide for their experience in tuning your type of car. Also, it's much easier and simpler to carry out a remap than physically swap ECUs.
Old 10th December 2014, 15:06   #53
BHPian

Any one knows what changes are expected in Jetta 2015?
Old 4th April 2015, 12:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Aseem, why do you need a second ECU in case of a remap? Your stock map could be flashed back to the ECU whenever you wanna get rid of the remap. It's reversible. If you meant back up, I think it's not really necessary, if you do the remap from reputed tuners using maps from tuning shops with positive reviews worldwide for their experience in tuning your type of car. Also, it's much easier and simpler to carry out a remap than physically swap ECUs.
The thing is I want more POWER, money and the things that come with it. But also I don't want to void the warranty on my car. The racechips are questionable and only a remap is the best way to get around 170 horses from Jetta.

Now there are many folks selling ECU's for TDI Jetta at 100-200 dollars at Ebay and Aliexpress. Now if I buy that ECU, remap it, and use it is that a good idea? Or I might as well go for a full blown remap on my current ECU and save 2 petis for repairs at a later date? Or is 2 peti too less?

Please advise...
Old 4th April 2015, 13:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
The thing is I want more POWER, money and the things that come with it. But also I don't want to void the warranty on my car. The racechips are questionable and only a remap is the best way to get around 170 horses from Jetta.

Now there are many folks selling ECU's for TDI Jetta at 100-200 dollars at Ebay and Aliexpress. Now if I buy that ECU, remap it, and use it is that a good idea? Or I might as well go for a full blown remap on my current ECU and save 2 petis for repairs at a later date? Or is 2 peti too less?

Please advise...
Your concerns are sensible. Here are my thoughts and how I weighed the ups and downs when I finally decided to remap my car's ECU-

Reliability of the ECU (electronics) - ECUs available on ebay cannot be counted on simply because we cannot be sure of it's history. You never know what you actually end up with. Since an ECU controls the minutest of parameters in your car's engine functioning, I wouldn't take a risk with ebay but would try my luck with something created by a group of expert engineers in the field and has been tried and tested over the years. If you go for a remap from a reputed brand (which is being used worldwide with a lot of good reviews saying it is trouble free and reliable over the years), you would be safe. That is why I chose CustomCode UK remap which is done by Petes. There are other brands too like Shark performance and many more which are popular among German cars, but I already knew Peter. So, did my homework about CustomCode and when I felt confident about the product, I went ahead with Pete's remap.

Reliability of workmanship - If you have to replace ECU, you have to physically unplug it and plug it back which has like a 100 tiny terminals. If that is not done very professionally, even the minute moisture leak coz of an improper sealing of a few terminals (each is weather tight with rubber seals) can create a shot and could screw it up for you. Doing a proper job is not a big thing. But getting such dedicated worker IS, as far as I have seen. On the other hand, if you just plug in the cable and do a good remap, that leaves your electrical connections untouched there by avoiding any chance of mishandling with the wiring or ECU itself.

Reversibility without hassles - When you have to bring your ECU back to original map, in case of another ECU, you again have to take the risk of physically unplugging and plugging which puts you in the same risk discussed above. On the other hand, the original map could be just flashed back by plugging in the same way it was remapped. And since it is your own ECU back with the OE map, you have no worries as to if the ECU is intact or not.

In case of remap, you only play around with the software part of it. And when you want to take your car for a warranty issue, you could always get your stock map back in to replace the remap. Since this is possible, why would you take the risk of trying physically removing ECU and also trying your luck with ECU available online whose history is a mystery.

Think I rambled on too much. Let me put it this way,

1) Ebay or Reputed Remap (CustomCode in my case)? - Definitely not ebay.
I would trust ebay with a BT kit or something which wouldn't ruin something as major as my car's engine.
2) Give ECU in the hands of the technicians or leave it untouched? - Leave it untouched.
Only place I have seen work being done professionally out of all the garages (including that of A.S.S. of premium luxury brands) is Pete's Garage. That is world class. I would not count on any other guys for anything more than a normal routine service. The whole reason why I do so much DIYs is I cant find good workmanship.
3) Which is easier if I want my car back in stock map, Putting back the removed ECU or flashing the remap for the stock map? - Flashing back the stock map ofcourse, it takes like less than 15 mins to remap or flash back stock map.

When I weighed the points, everything was in favour of a good remap. So there you go. Hope it helps you reach a decision.

BTW, Welcome back onboard! Haven't seen you around for a while.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th April 2015 at 23:22. Reason: edited as requested
Old 4th April 2015, 14:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home

Thanks but I was told flashing to stock increases the flash counter and VW would still not honor the warranty. Not even for the AC which has nothing to do with ECU.

I am planning a few mods:

1. Remap if safe and warranty not a big issue
2. New 2015 front bumper with fogs for 32k or GLI bumper for 35k
3. Upgrading tires
4. New flat bottom GLI steering....

Keeping away from the forum as it makes me wanna spend more

Will this steering be usable with airbag of my shape?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK6-GLI-Jetta-6-Speed-Manual-Steering-Wheel-Black-Leather-Red-Stitching-OEM-/161641138472?hash=item25a2900928&vxp=mtr

Last edited by aseem : 4th April 2015 at 14:42.
Old 4th April 2015, 15:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but I was told flashing to stock increases the flash counter and VW would still not honor the warranty. Not even for the AC which has nothing to do with ECU.
They said that?! I think VW and Skoda are pretty uptight about it these days. Even the new gen. Octavia is not as easy and mod friendly like before. Sort of like a BMW it is now with many restrictions.

Quote:
I am planning a few mods:

1. Remap if safe and warranty not a big issue
2. New 2015 front bumper with fogs for 32k or GLI bumper for 35k
3. Upgrading tires
4. New flat bottom GLI steering....

Keeping away from the forum as it makes me wanna spend more
That is a desirable mod list! Please go ahead with it. I have been trying to restrict myself with the mods. Actually most of it is done. Atleast that's what I believed. But lately, not so much. I have many projects revolving in my head yet again!

Quote:
Will this steering be usable with airbag of my shape?
I just checked out the link you mentioned. And here are the photos from that link and Team BHP review of your gen. Jetta followed by the 2015 Jetta. What I could make out is, your airbag shape/size looks same as the GLI one. But the 2015 Jetta's seem to be of a different size/shape. Looks like it would be plug n play for you.
2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-gli-steering.jpg

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-vwjetta10.jpg

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-vwjetta.jpg
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick question to Bhpians I am in the process of ordering the following MK7 steering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK7-MK6-G...47b853&vxp=mtr

The seller states it would work with Jetta 2014. However I have no experience if this is plug and play. I am willing to pay an installer but unfortunately Vagtune or other installers in Delhi won't tell me if it works as I am not buying it from them. So many VW Polo owners have these fancy steerings, could they comment?

Also would by old steering with paddle shifts be worth anything to any Polo GT TSi owners who are looking for paddles or is this as good as crap?
Old 15th June 2015, 14:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

So got a hold of a V-Box and did some benchies on the timings... Details below:

The morning runs were a lot better but as the sun rose the time went down by a couple of tenths. All times done using V-Box sport. Few pointers to fellow Jetta owners who have a DSG.

DSG doesnt launch and 2012+ Jetta models don't have a switch to disable traction control or ESP. You can't brake from left foot and accelerate at the same time because as soon as you hit brake the revs go down.

I figured out a way by reading Vortex forum. First program the VCDS ABS module to invoke ESP only past 30 kmph. Second, but the DSG between N and D and release the break. You will hear a click sound and green light will light up in your console for brakes. Then put car in D/S or whatever mode. Revv as much as you want and just hit brake pedal gently and it would release the clutch (Houston you have lift off). This won't make sense to anyone who doesnt have Jetta DSG.

Coming to the timings please find same below:

0-60: 3.75 Seconds
20-80: 4.6 Seconds
40-100: 5.96 Seconds
0-100: 8.37 Seconds

0-100 Meters: 6.98 Seconds

Here is how it compares to the competition:
2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-jetta-updated.png

The car feels strong, but the Traction Control unfortunately means you don't have as much fun. The power delivery is extremely linear. It would be a beast with a bigger turbo as you don't get a push to you seat or anything. In addition the A3 Tdi feel more rev happy and sprightly. The accelerator is more responsive (drive by wire I am guessing). The Jetta feels fast but linear. Anyways the numbers tell a different story for whatever its worth!

Last edited by aseem : 15th June 2015 at 14:55.
Old 15th June 2015, 20:34   #60
Team-BHP Support

Are the timings of the other cars also tested by you? If not then how can you compare, since the drivers and launching styles would be different as would the conditions. How can there be a 1 second difference between the Octavia and the Jetta?
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks