Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2014 Volvo XC60 D5 Summum AWD

Congratulations, buddy. I completely identify with your initial point about sharing knowledge - I did the same thing with my Pajero Sport.

Volvo is a brilliant vehicle. Wishing you endless happy miles!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:32   #17
BHPian

Hey brother! Congrats on the XC 60!
Such a beautiful car! Sweet Swedish.
Badge value aside this car makes people take notice whereas the X3s and Q5s are so common.
The host of safety features that it comes along with really creates peace of mind!

Great choice of colour too.

Of late I have been seeing quite a few Volvo cars where I live, so I guess they are slowly gaining the popularity that they truly deserve.
I think only few car makers can get the 'Christmas tree' like tail-lamp design to look so attractive like Fiat and Volvo.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 17:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Nice review there! Thanks for sharing

You mentioned about the reduced insurance premium for the XC60, compared to X3, Q5 etc. Any idea if this is this applicable for all Volvo models?
Old 18th November 2014, 19:00   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. Volvo is definitely one of the better cars to own in terms of reliability, safety and gadgetry when compared to the the other German trio.
Except for the badge value, its totally VFM when put up against the Germans. I test drove the Volvo S60 when I was in the market for purchase of my 3 series. In terms of interiors and exclusivity the volvo was way ahead than the Bimmer and the A4.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

trailblazing, thank you for a succinct review and helping me take one more step in favour of this beautiful car. Compliments on your purchase and selection of colour. Regards, V.Narayan
Old 18th November 2014, 20:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nice review there! Thanks for sharing

You mentioned about the reduced insurance premium for the XC60, compared to X3, Q5 etc. Any idea if this is this applicable for all Volvo models?
Honestly, I am not sure if this is the case with all the other models of Volvo. However, I won't be surprised if it is the case (based on the logic mentioned by Mahesh_sn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
That's interesting to know. It may be because the Volvo cars are percieved to be the safest ones or, should I say, more reliable ones among the lot. So, insurane companies might be happier underwriting the insurance for Volvos.
trailblazin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:52   #22
BHPian

Did some googling on lower insurance for Volvo cars. Indeed, it is due to a safety feature called "City Safety Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)" system, fitted as standard on all new Volvo models.
Quote:
Volvo's City Safety low-speed collision avoidance system operates at speeds up to 31 mph on the V40, keeping an eye on traffic in front and automatically brakes if the driver fails to react in time when the vehicle in front slows down or stops - or if the car is approaching a stationary vehicle too fast. City Safety was first fitted as standard to all Volvo XC60 models, when the model launched in 2008. Following its success in reducing accidents and injury, Volvo took the decision to fit City Safety as standard to all subsequent new models
Source: Oct-2012 article from http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo-v40-02-10-12.asp

Quote:
VOLVO INSURANCE PREMIUMS SET TO FALL ON MODELS FITTED WITH CITY SAFETY

Annual premium savings of up to £160 on Volvo Cars fitted with City Safety Autonomous Emergency Braking*
Insurance ratings of all new Volvo cars** fall by up to four groups
Tristar Worldwide fleet operating City Safety equipped Volvos saves thousands each year on repairs, hire cars and third party claims

Thanks to Volvo's City Safety Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) system, fitted as standard on all new Volvo models**, drivers could see their insurance premiums fall by more than £100 the next time they renew their car insurance policy.

Volvo car models have had their insurance groupings reduced by up to four levels, saving the consumer up to £161.81 per year in reduced insurance premiums according to figures supplied by Volvo Car Insurance.

The Volvo City Safety system, which has been fitted to more than one million new Volvos worldwide, was applauded for its ability to help drivers avoid low speed crashes by Thatcham, which administers the Association of British Insurers group rating system for private cars and commercials.

Alongside Volvo Car's Pedestrian Detection with full auto-brake and the newly launched Cyclist Detection system that joins Volvo's Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system and Blind Spot Info System (BLIS), Volvo continues to be at the forefront of putting all road users' safety first.

Comments Volvo Car UK managing director Nick Connor: "With City Safety AEB now fitted as standard across all new production Volvos except the XC90, it's fantastic to see the technology recognised by Thatcham, ultimately allowing Volvo drivers to enjoy big cost savings on their insurance. The continued introduction of all these lifesaving technologies links back to our Vision 2020 long term objective that by 2020 no one should be killed or injured in a new Volvo."
Source:http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/abou...spx?itemid=196

Another old one:
Volvo cars with City Safety gets insurance premium cuts by upto 30 per cent
mahesh_sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! Great looking car with fabulous interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazin View Post
Honestly, I am not sure if this is the case with all the other models of Volvo. However, I won't be surprised if it is the case (based on the logic mentioned by Mahesh_sn).
I would be surprised if a particular brand has significantly lower insurance cost. You are probably comparing BMW secure of X3 with Reliance insurance of XC60. Some actual numbers would clear confusion.
Old 18th November 2014, 22:06   #24
D4D
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. With he number of Audis and BMWs on road, this one will make you feel special.
Wishing you may kilometers of trouble free ownership.

Quote:
However, if you are looking for something with some more badge value
The Volvo badge is right up there with the BMW, Audi and Merc for me. I feel Volvo hasn't aggressively marketed their cars and their cars are priced higher as they aren't assembled in our country.
Old 18th November 2014, 23:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Congrats! Great looking car with fabulous interiors.

I would be surprised if a particular brand has significantly lower insurance cost. You are probably comparing BMW secure of X3 with Reliance insurance of XC60. Some actual numbers would clear confusion.

Thank you androdev! I was indeed comparing the insurance quotes that Volvo was offering me with that offered by Audi and BMW (Audi Drive Assure and BMW secure). You can see in the pic below, the quotation provided by Audi (Q5 2L is highlighted in pink). The 3rd column contains the insurance figures.

My 2014 Volvo XC60 D5 Summum AWD-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416334369.446870.jpg
Old 19th November 2014, 09:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you androdev! I was indeed comparing the insurance quotes that Volvo was offering me with that offered by Audi and BMW (Audi Drive Assure and BMW secure). You can see in the pic below, the quotation provided by Audi (Q5 2L is highlighted in pink). The 3rd column contains the insurance figures.

Attachment 1310199

Appologies in forgetting to mention the most important part.
The insurance premium quoted by Volvo (Reliance insurance) is ₹98000 approx (bumper to bumper - including tyres).
Old 19th November 2014, 18:50   #27
BHPian

Hi trailblazin,

Congratulations on the car!!! A brilliant Review for a Brilliant Car. "I Roll", that's what the brand Volvo means. Volvo products have always fascinated me,whether it's their multi axle B11r which comes with World's most advanced Intelligent Shift Automatic Transmission system called as I-Shift or their car line viz V40, S60, XC90 or S80 for that matter.

I wanted to specifically know about the ICE setup in the car from the perspective of which brand speakers are being used, and how does the sound quality stack up against the German's who use either Bose, Bang & Olufsen or Harmon Kardonn speakers for their stock audio systems with a complete package consisting a Sub Woofer, Pair of Component Speakers for front, co-axial Speakers for rear and Tweeters.
Old 19th November 2014, 20:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Congrats on your purchase. With he number of Audis and BMWs on road, this one will make you feel special.

The exclusivity factor makes it a win-win choice over Beamers/Audis and Mercs for sure!
Old 20th November 2014, 12:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Did some googling on lower insurance for Volvo cars. Indeed, it is due to a safety feature called "City Safety Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)" system, fitted as standard on all new Volvo models.

Source: Oct-2012 article from http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo-v40-02-10-12.asp

Source:http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/abou...spx?itemid=196

Another old one:
Volvo cars with City Safety gets insurance premium cuts by upto 30 per cent
Excellent bit of research Mahesh_sn! Now it does make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Hi trailblazin,
I wanted to specifically know about the ICE setup in the car from the perspective of which brand speakers are being used, and how does the sound quality stack up against the German's who use either Bose, Bang & Olufsen or Harmon Kardonn speakers for their stock audio systems with a complete package consisting a Sub Woofer, Pair of Component Speakers for front, co-axial Speakers for rear and Tweeters.
Unlike many other automakers, Volvo does not have an audio partner for the stereo system in the XC60. This system comes with Volvo Premium Sound speakers. The twelve high-end loudspeakers in the Premium Sound system are powered by a 5x130 W digital amplifier. There are three separate drivers – woofer, midrange and tweeter – in each front door. In the rear doors there is a similar set-up. Each speaker has its own crossover filter to harmonise with the others. The latest generation Dolby® Pro Logic® II surround sound uses the centre loudspeakers (woofer and tweeter) and a sound processor to recreate authentic sound with a strong sense of presence for everyone in the car. The digital class D amplifier features new technology to provide extremely high efficiency, enabling it to generate maximum audio power from the least amount of current (Source: XC60 Catalogue).

The sound came through with excellent balance, not too much bass or overly bright highs. Not a lot of jarring is noticed when the bass is turned up.
trailblazin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 18:38   #30
BHPian

Nice review. XC 60 lacks the initial excitement and enticement factor but hard to resist once you get to drive it. With respect to tyre pressure even for Mercedes E the recommended tyre pressure is shown as 38psi. Should this be derated too. The local service centre has no clue on this.

Most Viewed