Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 18:47   #16
BHPian

Re: The Red Viper - My 2014 Honda CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post

Coming to the big thing - fuel economy. So far, in this Diwali stop and go traffic, I have been getting 7km/L. I stay in Pondy Bazaar and commute to Ascendas, so it covers quite a lot traffic jam prone spots. Only time will tell whether this goes up.
Thats excellent mileage I would say. I too frequently visit T.Nagar from Thiruvanmiyur and my Polo HL's mileage usually drops to 8-9 kmpl . What is the mileage for driving in better traffic conditions ?.
Old 1st November 2014, 07:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Congrats on your new drive. I was in almost the same shoes a month or two back. Having only owned sedans till now (even civic for close to 2 years), I was also looking for a SUV and had almost finalized CR-V as well. This was till my dad decided that it was high time we go for a premium brand and got me to book Audi Q3 Premium instead. I can't say I am displeased with the decision (love this SUV), but I loved the drive of CR-V as well. Excellent driving dynamics and presence. If Honda would just do away with the dated 5 speed AT and get CVT instead, I think this car would be a much better proposition for the buyers. All that apart, I feel that CR-V is the best buy for under 30 Lakh SUVs (considering Fortuner, Rexton, XUV, Q3S) with its spot on interiors, handling and good looks. You can never go wrong with a Honda.

Hope to see your ownership reviews soon.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Congrats on your new ride.

Do check your AWD system. There have been reports by a Swedish magazine that says CRV's AWD is working more like a FWD than AWD.

Here's are the links to that.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11410248...ms-it-is-a-fwd

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo
Thanks. I saw this on http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...after-all.html Going by that thread, opinion is divided on this. I also saw the Everymandriver's review of the 2013 CRV on snow & mud and it seemed to to its job pretty well for a soft-roader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations Hajaar. Looking at the other suspects, you seemed to have made the perfect choice in going for 2.4 CRV AT. I still own the second generation and have been for the past 6 years. Let me tell you that it puts a smile on my face every morning when i'm behind the wheel. There is ample power on tap, great brakes, great steering response, brilliant handling for a SUV and many more. Love the surge of power while moving from a standstill. It leaves behind almost all cars and all that's required is a slight dab on the accelerator.

Its a bit disappointing to note that most of the problems in the 2nd gen have carried over to the 3rd gen. The road noise is a annoying problem, the in-cabin sound proofing levels are quite poor and I was told that a lot of it has improved in the new model but from your reviews it seems they havent. I attribute this issue to the horrible Bridgestones they have given with the car and it feels as if the floor of the CRV isnt that well insulated or just isnt a thick enough sheet of metal. I have used two sets of Bridgestones (stock ones) and am definitely shifting to Michelins this time as they are known to be a lot quieter. Lets see how this goes. What make of tyres did you car come with?

It does absorb most potholes and bumps but over a period of time it does tend to get a bit too sensitive going into potholes. I am considering changing shocks to some aftermarket product but the sad bit is that the CRV isnt very mod friendly. This probably doesnt affect you as you probably arent looking to swap a lot of parts for aftermarket ones. My ride is over 5.5 years so I wouldnt mind going in for a bit of this and that to see if I could improve some of the short falls.

The gearbox is another disappointment, it is very reliable as I have had no issues with it so far and I do tend to drive quite fast especially on empty stretches of highway (especially after the air filter and exhaust mods) shifting into D3 mode quite frequently for braking and quick overtakes.The shifts are just too slow and jerky and it tends to get confused between the 2nd and 3rd gears on the upshift and downshift. There's also a bit of "no response" between 2000-3000RPM on the downshift. I wonder if this has changed in the new model?! Atleast you have an S mode and paddle shifters. They are dearly missed on the second gen.

I would recommend the following accessories:
1. Running board for the front and rear bumper
2. Exhaust finisher
3. Rear Spoiler
4. Paint and plastic Protection treatment (honda did have this before)
5. This is a wild idea, but try getting the Mugen Body Kit

Congratulations once again. Would be great if you kept up with the updates on this thread. There is finally a small group of CRV loves on TBHP. I felt I was all alone until now.
Thanks.

This is actually considered the 4th gen CRV. :-)

The noise levels are definitely more than my civic but I dont find it too intrusive. My CRV came with Michelins and I find that these tyres squeal far less than the Michelins on my civic.

So far, the only issue I have had with the AT is the engine whine before it upshifts. I havent yet seen situations where the AT is searching for a gear but its still early days for me yet.

I am considering the paint protection film by 3M.

Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Hajaar, congratulations on the buy, and thanks for this detailed report. It takes a lot of passion to write up something like this for benefits of others. Also, I must congratulate you on making a logical decision. I picked up a Pajero Sport recently and went through a very similar decision process. The Pajero Sport answered most of the points you have raised. I was convinced about the Mitsu presence after I managed to connect with a couple of other Pajero Sport owners, and I am relieved to find more Sport vehicles on the road now!

Congratulations again on your buy. Wishing you many smiling and enthusiastic miles on the CRV.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Thats excellent mileage I would say. I too frequently visit T.Nagar from Thiruvanmiyur and my Polo HL's mileage usually drops to 8-9 kmpl . What is the mileage for driving in better traffic conditions ?.
I have not fuelled up again. I will report back in a couple of weeks. Plus, there is this Econ mode which I havent tried yet. My civic used to give 9.5 kmpl consistently.
Old 1st November 2014, 12:37   #18
BHPian

A very nice review. You have done a lot of home work that many fail to do. The ownership path looks to be exponential too. I mean..

My upgrade path has been Hero Ranger -> second hand TVS 50 -> TVS Champ -> Honda Dio -> Santro XP -> Fiesta SXi -> Civic S MT.

All the best for a BMW next .
Old 1st November 2014, 14:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

This is actually considered the 4th gen CRV. :-)

The noise levels are definitely more than my civic but I dont find it too intrusive. My CRV came with Michelins and I find that these tyres squeal far less than the Michelins on my civic.

So far, the only issue I have had with the AT is the engine whine before it upshifts. I havent yet seen situations where the AT is searching for a gear but its still early days for me yet.

I am considering the paint protection film by 3M.

Thanks once again.
4th gen it is, the 3rd gen was just a minor face-lift with the addition of cruise-control and a USB jack. I wonder why they called it 3rd gen

More than searching for a gear, its like a hesitation to shift up or down until there is further acceleration of braking feeded.

Do let me know the spec of the Michelin tyre given with your car. I shall look for the same as the tyre and rim spec is the same from 2nd to 4th gen.

Thanks and Enjoy!
Old 4th November 2014, 08:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
4th gen it is, the 3rd gen was just a minor face-lift with the addition of cruise-control and a USB jack. I wonder why they called it 3rd gen

More than searching for a gear, its like a hesitation to shift up or down until there is further acceleration of braking feeded.

Do let me know the spec of the Michelin tyre given with your car. I shall look for the same as the tyre and rim spec is the same from 2nd to 4th gen.

Thanks and Enjoy!
These are Michelin latitude 225/65 R 17
Old 26th April 2015, 15:11   #21
BHPian

We own the same coloured CRV but the 2.0L AT. Was very inclined to get the 2.4L AT but the mileage was too low for my dad's liking. The gearbox is indeed lethargic. The only way I have figured out to counter this on the highways are to use the D3 option. The 2.0L AT didn't come with paddles or sport mode but Honda have updated this model with paddle shifters for this year along with a couple of other features like sunroof.

On the mileage front, it gives around 8 KPL within city and around 10 KPL on the highway. The
Old 31st August 2015, 10:32   #22

Hello hajaar!
Great colour on the CRV!
Well we are considering buying the same variant quiet soon, but the 2015 model has some updated features and no mechanical changes. Well we started inquiring about the car in Jaipur and none of the dealers have the car on display nor do they have a test drive vehicle. Although one dealer has agreed to show me the the last sold CRV. So lets see what happens...
How is the viper doing for you? Any mechanical or electronic problems? Whats the average service cost for the car. Any other pointers?
Thanks a lot
Old 6th September 2015, 06:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1994 View Post
Hello hajaar!
Great colour on the CRV!
Well we are considering buying the same variant quiet soon, but the 2015 model has some updated features and no mechanical changes. Well we started inquiring about the car in Jaipur and none of the dealers have the car on display nor do they have a test drive vehicle. Although one dealer has agreed to show me the the last sold CRV. So lets see what happens...
How is the viper doing for you? Any mechanical or electronic problems? Whats the average service cost for the car. Any other pointers?
Thanks a lot

So far, I haven't had any problems with the car. One thing you will have to watch out for, that I didnt consider when making my purchase decision, is the amount of time it takes to source parts. I suggest getting a zero-dep insurance as the parts costs are quite high.

Also, since we are close to the release of new versions of SUVs (Fortuner, Endeavour etc.), I suggest waiting to test-drive/compare those before making your decision.

Last edited by hajaar : 6th September 2015 at 06:55.
Old 13th September 2015, 21:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1994 View Post
Hello hajaar!
Great colour on the CRV!
Thanks a lot
The CRV is a very under rated car, if you are looking for a combination of good performance, refinement and well kitted car and don't mind spending a bit on petrol, its a very nice car. We are loving this car every single time we take it on a long drive. I suggest you to go for the 2.4l one for good performance.
Old 2nd December 2015, 22:14   #25
BHPian

Hello! I am planning to get a pre-owned 2013(or later) CR-V. Since, this is only ownership thread for the CR-V here, I wanted to know how this Model of the CR-V is when it comes to maintenance and spares. Are the parts/spares/general service costs high or is it just normal like any other Honda? Also, How is this CR-V when it comes to reliability and build quality, because this generation isn't a CBU. Do let me know your valuable inputs, Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 13:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
So far, I haven't had any problems with the car. One thing you will have to watch out for, that I didnt consider when making my purchase decision, is the amount of time it takes to source parts. I suggest getting a zero-dep insurance as the parts costs are quite high.

Also, since we are close to the release of new versions of SUVs (Fortuner, Endeavour etc.), I suggest waiting to test-drive/compare those before making your decision.
Hi hajaar, Your Ownership review is spot on and well written.
I am looking at a sparingly used 2014 CR-V and have my hands on one.
Could you give me some insight about how expensive is this car to maintain?
How much am I looking to spend every year on general servicing and maintenance?
Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hi hajaar, Your Ownership review is spot on and well written.
I am looking at a sparingly used 2014 CR-V and have my hands on one.
Could you give me some insight about how expensive is this car to maintain?
How much am I looking to spend every year on general servicing and maintenance?
Thanks
Thanks.

The parts are expensive and take time to source - from the one time experience I had. In addition, it looks like the ASS personnel are not experienced at solving issues with the CRV. But on the flip side, the Honda (manufacturer) customer service is brilliant. So far, my maintenance bills have been less than 3k a service which is about on par with my civic.
Old 4th December 2015, 18:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

The parts are expensive and take time to source - from the one time experience I had. In addition, it looks like the ASS personnel are not experienced at solving issues with the CRV. But on the flip side, the Honda (manufacturer) customer service is brilliant. So far, my maintenance bills have been less than 3k a service which is about on par with my civic.
Good to know that it is around 3k as I was expecting a service costs of about 15-20k.
Also, What(which part) went wrong with your CRV that took time to source? Do let me know if possible
Also how's the fuel economy under city conditions? Around 7-8?
Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:03   #29
BHPian

The first time, it was a rubber beading for the front wheel well which was jarred loose when a leper on a motorcycle jumped the signal and hit the car. The car was in the ASS for a couple of weeks, waiting for the part. The second time, it was to fix a problem with the power steering - about 25 days this time. Most of it is due to the incompetence of the ASS. Otherwise, the car is riding great with no issues at all.

Fuel economy is around that - 6-8 km/l
Old 4th December 2015, 20:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The first time, it was a rubber beading for the front wheel well which was jarred loose when a leper on a motorcycle jumped the signal and hit the car. The car was in the ASS for a couple of weeks, waiting for the part. The second time, it was to fix a problem with the power steering - about 25 days this time. Most of it is due to the incompetence of the ASS. Otherwise, the car is riding great with no issues at all.

Fuel economy is around that - 6-8 km/l
Oh! Good to know. Was only worried about the general maintenance costs of the CR-V which as you said are pretty reasonable. Thanks for your reply!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks