Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 16:15   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.2L TSI DSG Ownership Log - From a non-enthusiast

Congratulations diffsoft for the new car, and thanks for the very nicely written ownership experience.

I have got following done in my car
1) Replaced floor mats(star)
2) Installed the engine/sump guard
3) upgraded tires to Michelin P3ST(195 section)
4) VCDS changes(like indicator celebration, XDS setting, hard braking etc)
5) Stage 1 remap

Do let me know if you need any help in VCDS changes
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 16:46   #17
BHPian

Congrats diffsoft on the GT, enjoy the drive and many safe miles to clock . I'm yet to get mine, maybe sometime this month hopefully!!!

@shetty_rohan - would love to get in touch with you for the VCDS changes, please share your contact info
Old 1st December 2014, 18:33   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on purchasing the GT TSI. I am sure you are gonna add a lot of kilometers to your ride and enjoy each and every one of them. You've already crossed the 1300 km mark?? I've got a lotta catching up to do with the rest of the TSI's on this forum. I just touched 1401 km today after a year and a half of ownership.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Congratulations diffsoft! That's a sweet ride you got there!

Read most of your thread sitting in office. Some life lessons learnt and an interesting perspective of each car's ownership. Hope the law of averages on VW doesn't catch up with you and you have a blissful ownership experience.

Even if you are not an enthusiast please get the Pete's remap done! Soon! You may want to upgrade to 205 section tyres as well

Need some more photos.

Enjoy and be safe!

P.S. These TSI threads a going to cost me a lot of money soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
4) VCDS changes(like indicator celebration, XDS setting, hard braking etc)
5) Stage 1 remap
Can you please elaborate on these 2 points especially on what is the output post remap?

Last edited by miharbe : 1st December 2014 at 18:50.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 21:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
The thank yous

Over the 6 years of association with Team BHP, I have learnt quite a bit about driving, about cars and the car industry.

There was a time when our family would hit the car or get hit once in 3 months and on most occasions the fault was ours. Then I tried what a BHPian mentioned in his byline - "always yield". I do not know who it was but those two words have saved my cars a lot of blushes and money!

Thanks are due to @androdev who felt that preparations were on at Wolfsburg the VW HQ to deliver the car to me for all the fuss I made to get the right car. Thanks are also due to @gannu_1 whose thread is a great read, to @BG Chethan, to @rohan_shetty and @prithwi-81. Car is a complex piece of tech for me and you guys make it all simple. Thanks also to @GTO and @ajmat and other mods who have made this community I am so proud to be a part of. To all you guys I will be pleased to offer my car for a drive any time you want.

Cheers,
@Diffsoft: One of the best Reviews I have had in a long time, though it was as long as a Movie !
And I guess you are Happy to offer the Car for a drive as mentioned as I always wanted to Test Drive the Polo (However not the usual Test Drive Car they have) !!
Well.... Hope you have a Good Bond with the Car! BTW nice Color choice.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 23:18   #21
BHPian

Nice review. Just curios, was the fronds pic taken near hanging bridge ?
When I saw it it appeared familiar. Safe million miles to you.
Old 2nd December 2014, 00:08   #22
BHPian

Hey mate,

Congrats on your new car. It's a beautiful car I must say.

I loved your review. It came straight from the heart and I enjoyed reading every bit of it. When it comes to cars (like most of the people) I also think from heart and as a result I also own a German. I must say that the German cars are very much addictive. VW is one of the most reliable German, only thing lacking is proper dealerships. My car is old and it now requires month by month attention, which I do with a teary eye but I feel it's well worth it.

The higher rpm during cold start is to warm the engine. It's a normal behavior. Read about it here and here.

Enjoy your ride. Cheers!

Last edited by voyageur : 2nd December 2014 at 00:11.
Old 2nd December 2014, 00:37   #23
BHPian

Excellent review and couldn't have come at a better time for me personally (I was evaluating between Ford Ecosport and Polo GT). Is there a link to Rohan's post on using DSG in stop and go traffic?
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Diffsoft! Excellent write-up; You are humble to the core!

Polo has really grown-up, from the day it was launched:
  • New rear-seat head rest design, really helps vision.
  • Head lights have enhanced confidence.
  • Suspensions have improved; front does not nose-dive as much under hard braking.
  • Brakes them-self has more bite than before; May-be because of rear drum up-size.

One downside I have noticed is that, the rear split seats have been dis-continued; Not that it is used often - But still..

I am sure that you will love the car. Happy motoring!! Drive safe!!!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 06:42   #25
BHPian

A lovely read, heartwarming too as it was not just about the technical specifications. Wish you happy driving. When I consider changing my second car, VW Polo would be a contender for sure. My first car would remain, for a couple of years at least, the Skoda Yeti. It's a pity your experience with Skoda was an awful one. Sometimes Sales staff do the exact opposite thing they are meant to, my experience with a brand or two is that the information is either incorrect or blatantly untrue. Reading posts at Team BHP balances the picture.
ramases6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 07:26   #26
BHPian

VW Polo 1.2L TSI DSG Ownership Log - From a non-enthusiast

Great write mate ! 14kmpl on the highway looks decent to me. Could you give an idea of city mileage figures on normal petrol? I am also in the market for an automatic but getting turned off because of VW and Skoda dealer issues reported by other owners.
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Can you please elaborate on these 2 points especially on what is the output post remap?
VCDS: There is a VCDS thread(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...skoda-etc.html) created by Robi.

Stage1 remap:
I have got this done from Petes.
Power:Power has definitely gone up. According to Petes it is 125BHP and 200nm.
Mileage: I guess there is a very very minor difference(may be 12.8 to 12.5) in the mileage. I am not sure whether it is because of the remap(may be because after the remap I push the vehicle little hard).
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Congratulations diffsoft on the Polo GT. Wish you many many happy miles in the GT.

And your description, particularly your biography was wonderfully great stuff to read. Lovely. Truly five star. Rated it that way.
Thanks deepfusion for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
Excellent write up! GT Tsi is one of those cars for which I wouldnt have to think twice before buying. Sort of a dream car for me. For me, rear seat is not much in contention as I drive alone and therefore polo makes a lot of sense. Wish you a million miles of trouble free driving. Keep us updated with your views about the car.
Thanks harsh. I will keep it updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
First, congratulations on your new Polo GT TSI! Wish you an absolutely niggle-free ride with many happy miles logged on the odometer.
Second, that is heartfelt writing. Your writing breathes life into the psychological nuances of the whole car buying decision making process. Also, I got sidetracked by your Octavia Combi experience. It has been a wonderful experience to read, not to mention looking forward to the more happy updates you keep adding to this thread. Bookmarking now!
Thanks Anderson. I am glad you liked the psychological nuances. Car buying is a very personal thing and you know "I wanted to get it off my chest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Firstly Many congratulations "diffsoft" for the Polo GT TSI. An amazing car with an amazing buying experience, a truly deserved 5 stars. I am sure your subtle and detailed log of buying experience will influence more buying decisions in favour of POLO GT TSI.

Happy mile crunching and looking forward to your ownership experience as time passes.
Thanks justwheels. When I was young, which was a long time ago, cars were a super luxury. These days it's a necessity and I was surprised to find an 18 month old boy identifying car variant names. His dad told me that he probably learnt to say them before the words "Ma" and "Pa". It's fascinating to see these changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations diffsoft. Beautiful write up and thoroughly engaging.

How do you find the ground clearance of the Polo? Since you are in Bangalore as well, any rubs on the belly so far?
Thanks Fullrevs. So far I haven't scraped anywhere, except one hump. I also slow down to avoid taking any chances; but I think it's fine overall.
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Boy oh boy, that first paragraph is spot on to how I see and think about a car. It is personal, a bond between man and machine. It is one of the reasons I simply can't share my car with my wife, no matter how good a driver she is.

The increased engine rpm during a cold start is for faster warm up. I have seen this even on the old 1.3l Swift that was sold over 6 years ago. I do not know about diesels. Have observed this on most petrol cars.

You may or may not recall. Did you notice any difference in the steering between last years and the new face lift Tsi? Though not a straight comparison, I found the steering much better on the face lift Vento Tsi when compared to last years edition of the GT Tsi.

Fuel consumption can surely be better. As I have come to learn, turbo petrol's are highly sensitive to throttle input. You could have gone easy in D mode which would have surely favored fuel economy. However, even a short stint in S mode is enough to take away all the economy you gained driving in D.

Several owners have also observed this on their Tsi's. In D, its all about economy. The dsg aims for the highest gear possible and the shifts are seamless when driven in a relaxed manner. The same can't be said when you drive in a spirited way. The gearbox is not as fast to react when it comes to coming down the gears. Noticed when you are reducing speed fast and need power to pull away immediately. S mode takes care of this much better. Even better is to get in to tiptronic.

I don't understand why Cruise control is not available on the GT. Its such an easy add on for them and should have made it on the face lift.

The documentation is not clear on how to go about using voice calling or how to get the callers name listed. The callers name listed just once on my colleagues Vento Tsi and we could never replicate it. This was with a windows mobile phone. Never worked after he switched to an android phone.

Are you saying all the tires are losing air pressure? Don't think I missed anything with regard to the valve caps. I guess they come from Apollo itself.

I believe the double barrel headlamps sort out illumination issues. Never knew about the cornering lamps. Very thoughtful as a feature. I don't think my colleague knows about the existence of this on his Vento Tsi.

Room at the back is probably the least among hatch backs. I've said this many times, VW should trash the idea of doors at the back. After all, its a GT.

It was nice to read your story, your achievements and your love for cars. The GT Tsi is the only car that I know that takes care of the enthusiasts needs and one that is easy to drive.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd December 2014 at 09:51.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Diffsoft,

Must admit your creative writing. Different taste same food I would say.
Thanks for your efforts.....

What about headlights ? Are they adequate, does not look good from picture but may the car stood at an angle to the Road.
Thanks Wanderers for appreciating my efforts. Took me quite a while and I stopped logging into Team BHP as the half finished work continued to haunt me!

I also think I am technically challenged when it comes to cars; so maybe my writing was an effort to mask it!!!

Double barrel headlamps are the best additions to the facelift; so in my view headlights are sufficient under normal roads even if they are dark - which most roads are at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hearty congrats Kimi!

VAG cars deserve that extra bit of TLC from their owners to have them running in proper shape unlike the Marutis and Hyundais which are usually the fill-it-and-forget-it types. I am sure you’re loving the drive. Take care and do ping me whenever you need some help.

Drive safe!

PS: Lovely report. Non-enthusiast, a Skoda L&K before and a Polo TSI now. Ok!

Thanks Gannu! Rest assured the car gets so much TLC that my kids are now afraid to get into it, for fear of making it dirty.

You are right about your observation on a non-enthusiast choosing Skoda and now Polo! I guess their design and their ride quality just bowls me over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Congratulations diffsoft for the new car, and thanks for the very nicely written ownership experience.

I have got following done in my car...
Do let me know if you need any help in VCDS changes
Thanks Rohan - will do. I am following your advice on the DSG in stop-go-stop traffic that you gave a long time ago.

I do not want to do any mods for now and drive only stock. Will change tyres after a while at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
Congrats diffsoft on the GT, enjoy the drive and many safe miles to clock . I'm yet to get mine, maybe sometime this month hopefully!!!

@shetty_rohan - would love to get in touch with you for the VCDS changes, please share your contact info
Thanks Raghu - all the best and let me knowif you think I can help.
diffsoft is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks