Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 17:45   #16
BHPian

re: My Fabulous Candy White VW Vento TSI - 1st year service update

Congrats on a great buy. I took delivery of my Terra Beige Vento TSI on July 18th this year and have driven almost 4k kms thus far.

I agree with all of your observations but want to ask you about the downshift from D3 to D2 when there is no throttle or brake input. I sometimes feel the car jerk when this happens. Have you noticed this?
Old 14th November 2014, 21:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Thanks mate. yeah, I meant your current MID rating(sorry for the roundabout query). :sly:
Here is what the mileage looked like today - 11.8 Kmpl.

My Fabulous Candy White VW Vento TSI - 1st year service update-mid-nov-2014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Many congrats on your new car. It's really a nice car to have for city driving and occasional highway trips. It's got the best ride handling package in the segment. I'm also inclined towards Vento for my next upgrade.
Thanks Carpainter. Do take a TD. Vento TSI is by far the better car in its segment IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Congrats on the new car. It's a beauty.
Wishing you miles of trouble free ownership.
Thanks D4D.
Old 14th November 2014, 21:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
Congrats on a great buy. I took delivery of my Terra Beige Vento TSI on July 18th this year and have driven almost 4k kms thus far.

I agree with all of your observations but want to ask you about the downshift from D3 to D2 when there is no throttle or brake input. I sometimes feel the car jerk when this happens. Have you noticed this?
Thanks HKap. If I understood you correct, you are saying that if you don't provide any throttle input and wait for it to down shift, you notice this jerk. I don't think I have noticed this but I will try and observe this a bit more and update again.
Old 15th November 2014, 06:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
Not bad at all! Tell me honestly, you are driving it in city or outside city?
Hope you can turn this into a long term thread where we can get piece of your experience.
Keep driving and smiling!
Old 15th November 2014, 08:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! The MID is red in Vento? So it's just in Polo that it has been changed to white. Don't know why such a differentiation here.

11.8 is pretty good mileage for such a sedan! Amazing how DSG does that; making the Grand i10 AT box look like it's from Stone-age!
Old 15th November 2014, 11:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes the jerk is present. Almost all polo / vento tsi owners have observed it. Not sure why it happens but seems to be a characteristic of this dsg box. It is more pronounced under sudden braking downshifts.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 10:14   #22
BHPian

That makes me feel better. Initially I thought the dreaded mechatronics failure is about to hit me.

BTW, the last refill gave me an average of 12.9 kmpl. . That included a few incidents of redlining in "S" mode. It's a fun car alright but sometimes I still feel my 2009 ivtec City is more fun. I just wish I had got the City shod with 195/60 R15 Primacy 3ST tyres like I did for my Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Hey! The MID is red in Vento? So it's just in Polo that it has been changed to white. Don't know why such a differentiation here.

11.8 is pretty good mileage for such a sedan! Amazing how DSG does that; making the Grand i10 AT box look like it's from Stone-age!

The new Vento's MID looks exactly like the Polo's. This is the pre-facelift MID, which BTW, I like more.

Last edited by Stratos : 19th November 2014 at 10:08.
Old 17th November 2014, 22:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Carpainter. Do take a TD. Vento TSI is by far the better car in its segment IMO.
Will sure take a test drive. Actually I have been using the Polo for more than three years now so I know how well these cars drive. Only that my polo is 1.2 petrol one which is a bit underpowered to be frank. I'm all ga ga over Vento but I might go for the diesel. My only concern now is the resale value.
Old 18th November 2014, 07:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Will sure take a test drive. Actually I have been using the Polo for more than three years now so I know how well these cars drive. Only that my polo is 1.2 petrol one which is a bit underpowered to be frank. I'm all ga ga over Vento but I might go for the diesel. My only concern now is the resale value.
Well, then you may find the Vento 1.2 to be a bit underpowered too but the TSI-DSG is going to be different experience though. With a load, even I found the car needed more grunt if you read my post. Now, I haven't tried the Diesel and this now comes with the DSG too.

Quote:
That makes me feel better. Initially I thought the dreaded mechatronics failure is about to hit me.

BTW, the last refill gave me an average of 12.9 kmpl. . That included a few incidents of redlining in "S" mode. It's a fun car alright but sometimes I still feel my 2009 ivtec City is more fun. I just wish I had got the City shod with 195/60 R15 Primacy 3ST tyres like I did for my Vento.
That's nice to know it holds up even on occasional "S" mode which I haven't tried yet on my car. I guess now I can, considering that it has crossed the 2000 km mark. How does the learning unit behave post these drives? Does it alter how the car responds the next time around ?
Old 18th November 2014, 13:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:

That's nice to know it holds up even on occasional "S" mode which I haven't tried yet on my car. I guess now I can, considering that it has crossed the 2000 km mark. How does the learning unit behave post these drives? Does it alter how the car responds the next time around ?

I haven't paid much attention to how the car responds post that. The D mode for me is just normal sedate driving and just getting from point A to B without bothering my left leg too much. The S mode is reserved for when the roads are empty or just an empty stretch which lets me get to about 140-150 kmph before I have to slow down again.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Contrary to perception, the S mode does not drop the mileage too much. Mileage drops when you do pedal to the metal heavy foot driving and you can do that in D mode too. Driving with a light foot in S mode gives the best of both worlds, sprightly performance as well as decent economy.

Typically with a light foot, at 100 kmph in D you are definitely in 7th gear and in S you will be in 5th in most cases.

I use it most of the time on my 2 lane highway drives. The S mode ensures that the engine is always in the peak torque band. So just a dab on the accelerator is enough for quick acceleration without any time wasted in dropping gears.

You also need not wait for run in period to be over to use S mode. In fact you should use both D and S in order to give the engine a decent workout at different RPM's. Of course, redlining is not recommended.
Old 19th November 2014, 08:14   #27
BHPian

I had read is an earlier ownership thread for Vento that the music volume automatically reduces when the reverse gear is engaged. Below is the link. This doesn't happen in mine. Is there a way to enable this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-update-3.html

Also I have noticed this after the reverse is engaged when I move the gear lever back to "D" and probably back and forth to "R" say to make some finer parking movements there is a distinct "cluk" sound on such lever change. You should hear this if you have the volume all the way down. Has anyone noticed this?
Old 19th November 2014, 12:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Contrary to perception, the S mode does not drop the mileage too much. Mileage drops when you do pedal to the metal heavy foot driving and you can do that in D mode too. Driving with a light foot in S mode gives the best of both worlds, sprightly performance as well as decent economy.

Typically with a light foot, at 100 kmph in D you are definitely in 7th gear and in S you will be in 5th in most cases.

I use it most of the time on my 2 lane highway drives. The S mode ensures that the engine is always in the peak torque band. So just a dab on the accelerator is enough for quick acceleration without any time wasted in dropping gears.

You also need not wait for run in period to be over to use S mode. In fact you should use both D and S in order to give the engine a decent workout at different RPM's. Of course, redlining is not recommended.
Doesn't the S mode redline in each gear before shifting to the next? Generally at what rpm do gear shifts take place in S mode (when driving with a light and heavy foot)?
Old 19th November 2014, 12:31   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Doesn't the S mode redline in each gear before shifting to the next? Generally at what rpm do gear shifts take place in S mode (when driving with a light and heavy foot)?
With a light foot (or a normal acceleration), S mode upshifts happen around 3500-4000 RPM. Depending on how heavy your foot is, this can go up. Even in D mode if you drive with a heavy foot, up shifts take place higher in the RPM range.

If you really need to red line, the manual/tiptronic mode is the way to go.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:

The new Vento's MID looks exactly like the Polo's. This is the pre-facelift MID, which BTW, I like more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
With a light foot (or a normal acceleration), S mode upshifts happen around 3500-4000 RPM. Depending on how heavy your foot is, this can go up. Even in D mode if you drive with a heavy foot, up shifts take place higher in the RPM range.

If you really need to red line, the manual/tiptronic mode is the way to go.
I tried the "S" mode today for the first time. The TSI responds like a cheetah ready to pounce on its prey when you step on the pedal. This is really addictive. The RPM is over 2000 even when the speedometer just reads 30kmph and stays above 2K rpm throughout as long you are above S3. It upshifts only past 3000 rpm. However, there seems to be quite a bit of vibration that I noticed on the pedal during this run. The vibration seems to slightly reduce after sometime but it’s still present when you compare it to the experience when in "D" mode where it’s pretty much vibration free. You’d again notice the vibrations if you provide more throttle.
Question - Is this something that everyone has felt initially and would it become normal post more runs in the "S" mode because I don’t think I recall having felt this when I did the test drive ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks