Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 15:49   #31
BHPian

re: My Fabulous Candy White VW Vento TSI - 1st year service update

Just wanted to give an update about a recent drive to Yercaud for vacation in my Vento TSI. The experience of a TSI is truly enjoyed in good roads such as the NH7. Was able to do 200km from Bengaluru to Salem in 3 hours with full load which included a 2 ½ year old kid without break. Now that’s something to say considering that it takes me more than 4 to 4 ½ hours from Bengaluru to Mysore which is 140kms. Did some spirited "S" mode drive and gosh, it’s addictive. Shifting back to “D” seemed tame. Was just wondering whether doing long stretches in “S” mode, other than the fuel efficiency, affects the transmission. And I reckon for altitudinous twisty or hairpin bends in this instance, the “S” or “M” mode is more confidence inspiring. Enjoyed the long drive.

I recall that a few had requested additional photos of the car when I posted my ownership review. I have included a few in my travelogue. The link is given below should you be interested in reading or just browse through the photos.

Happy New Year to All.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-december.html
just4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
Did some spirited "S" mode drive and gosh, it’s addictive. Shifting back to “D” seemed tame. Was just wondering whether doing long stretches in “S” mode, other than the fuel efficiency, affects the transmission. And I reckon for altitudinous twisty or hairpin bends in this instance, the “S” or “M” mode is more confidence inspiring. Enjoyed the long drive.
I just did a ~350 km drive completely in S mode. I don't think extended run in S mode impacts anything. Even the fuel efficiency drop is negligible when cruising on the highway. In my case at 80-90kmph, the car was in 5th gear at around 2800 RPM.

In fact I now feel that it is better to do highway runs in S mode. The efficiency is not really impacted, the fun to drive factor is higher as you are always in the peak torque band and because of this, the transmission has less work to do as your speed goes up and down based on road conditions.

I think it may be good for the engine also as S mode ensures that the engine is running across a wider RPM range and is typically at ~3000RPM when cruising.In D mode, it hardly crosses 2000 RPM when cruising.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 22:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I just did a ~350 km drive completely in S mode. I don't think extended run in S mode impacts anything. Even the fuel efficiency drop is negligible when cruising on the highway. In my case at 80-90kmph, the car was in 5th gear at around 2800 RPM.

In fact I now feel that it is better to do highway runs in S mode. The efficiency is not really impacted, the fun to drive factor is higher as you are always in the peak torque band and because of this, the transmission has less work to do as your speed goes up and down based on road conditions.

I think it may be good for the engine also as S mode ensures that the engine is running across a wider RPM range and is typically at ~3000RPM when cruising.In D mode, it hardly crosses 2000 RPM when cruising.
Ah! Good to know that it’s fine to do long stretches in "S" mode. It was only that slight concern about the transmission (fear of the unknown if you may) which held me back otherwise I’d probably do likewise. The fun factor to be in "S" mode in the highway, easily masks the concern about the mild drop in fuel efficiency. I do Bengaluru-Mysore quite a bit and will probably enjoy more of that lovely “Sporty” experience going forward.
Old 6th April 2015, 00:44   #34
BHPian

Re: My Fabulous Candy White VW Vento TSI - 6 month update

Wanted to give a quick update of my 6 month general check-up.

I got a call from Volkswagen Palace Cross that my 6 month general check-up was overdue. I had covered a little less than 6000km and I was glad having received the call. Scheduled it for the following week on a weekend and again received a confirmation call a day before the scheduled date.
I took the car the next day and arrived at around 11.00 am. The service advisor enquired for any issues with the car and I had none to report but I requested if they could modify the change lane indicator blinks from 3 to 5 and few such tweaks and the SA was not too willing. I did not bother to press any further. I was then informed that they could deliver the car by evening and they would call once it was ready. I agreed and left.
The car was ready at around 4.30 pm. I enquired about the checks performed and was shown a check-list of items. Essentially it contained nothing more than checking for oil and coolant levels, tyre pressure and wear percentage. They also gave a free wash.
Overall experience was fine except maybe they could have expedited the delivery considering what was done as part of the check-up. I am guessing it's either they had quite a few job sheets or the idea that the customers get a sense of having visited/waited their car at the service centre, if you know what I mean. However, I shall give them the benefit of doubt this time around. It would have actually brought in some customer delight if they had complied with my request for which I have to now go the VCDS route instead.

Anyway that's that and thanks for reading. I shall keep the thread updated as it progresses.
Old 6th April 2015, 12:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Were you by any chance driving from Marathahalli towards HAL side at ~5.30 PM on Saturday Evening? Turned right after the helicopter division. It was a white tsi with a team-bhp sticker. when I saw your thread now, struck me that it could have been you.
Old 7th April 2015, 21:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Were you by any chance driving from Marathahalli towards HAL side at ~5.30 PM on Saturday Evening? Turned right after the helicopter division. It was a white tsi with a team-bhp sticker. when I saw your thread now, struck me that it could have been you.
I did visit it a few weeks back but was'nt the last weekend. Ok, seems we have another White TSI.
Old 9th August 2015, 19:15   #37
BHPian

Re: My Fabulous Candy White VW Vento TSI - 1st year service update

I completed one year with the car on 1st Aug. Scheduled for the 1st year/15k service. I was expecting that someone from the dealership would call but did not receive any. The ODO now reads 10801. Nonetheless, I called up Palace Cross and scheduled for a service. Dropped the car in the morning by 10 am and was informed that it would be done by 4.30-5.00 pm. Primarily the service was only changing the oils, filters and wheel alignment unless there is an issue being reported. There was nothing much to report (touchwood) except that I was not too happy about the AC cooling. The SA informed that once the filters are replaced it should be better. It does seem to be better now. The bill amount was 10502.
Question to folks. I normally do not keep the AC in re-circulation mode so the SA informed the AC filters get blocked sooner and hence cooling reduces quicker over time. This is quite understandable however, he advised that I should keep it in re-circulation mode but am not very keen to do so. The manual also does not recommend long periods of recirculation mode either. What is the typical norm? I realize this question has been debated umpteen times, but in the context of a TSI does this affect the efficiency or performance in anyway? Or it doesn’t really matter in the new cars these days?

Things I miss in the car
  • A dead pedal is sorely missed. Is there a way to retrofit the dead pedals that are now available in the 2015 models? Has anyone tried doing this?
  • The current headlights are absolutely inadequate. Requires Xenon or Projector headlights. I truly envy the Rapid owners for this.
But otherwise, it’s a fantastic car to own.
just4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 19:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I completed one year with the car on 1st Aug. Scheduled for the 1st year/15k service.
The title change seems to show only in the new reply above. May I request the mods to modify the thread title accordingly and delete this post too. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2015, 20:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question to folks. I normally do not keep the AC in re-circulation mode so the SA informed the AC filters get blocked sooner and hence cooling reduces quicker over time. This is quite understandable however, he advised that I should keep it in re-circulation mode but am not very keen to do so. The manual also does not recommend long periods of recirculation mode either. What is the typical norm? I realize this question has been debated umpteen times, but in the context of a TSI does this affect the efficiency or performance in anyway? Or it doesn’t really matter in the new cars these days?
I typically keep it in fresh air mode most of the time. In general the cooling has been on the lower side. In the last couple of months, the cooling has reduced further. I assume it is because of the filters getting blocked. It is not bad enough to go to the service center yet, But I think I will have to do it before my 2nd service which is still 4 months away.

My take is that, considering the dust and pollution in a city like Bangalore, the one year replacement interval is not good enough. May be to adjust that, the SA is suggesting to keep in re-circulation mode longer?
Old 9th August 2015, 21:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
My take is that, considering the dust and pollution in a city like Bangalore, the one year replacement interval is not good enough. May be to adjust that, the SA is suggesting to keep in re-circulation mode longer?
I agree, especially having seen the black deposits on the replaced filters, early replacement may not be a bad idea.
Old 26th November 2015, 15:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, especially having seen the black deposits on the replaced filters, early replacement may not be a bad idea.
My Cruze has an auto mode which apparently also works for circulation. Depending on the quality of the air it closes and open the outside vent. After 4 years and 1,00,000 kms I had to change my AC filter which cost Rs. 2,000 including labour. I recommend using outside air if it is of good quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks