Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2006, 20:58   #1

Bolero SLX -MDI 3200 Turbo --Underpowered!!

Last week i took a trail run on the Bolero SLX which has the MDI 3200 Turbo plant. This is what i felt.
There was utterly no difference in terms of body, interiors etc from Bolero GLX excpet for the dials and things.

My major concern was, the engine lacks pick up altogether. Iam not sure how mahindras could do this to a wonderfull vehicle.
The IDI engine was pretty much good in pick up.
Though,there would be a defnite improvement in mileage. It would give(dealers are promising around 15 kmpl), i feel this underpower would be a problem in highways, where we would tend to overtake in very limited time.
At that moment, we would need the power to cut thru and go. i dont want to go back 10 years where drivers would bring down gears and then wait for a right moment and overtake.

If any of you guys have the latest Bolero slx/sportz with DI plant, pls share your experiences. How is this car fairing in highways. How is the stability at high speeds.

I may have to travel down highways every alternate weekends and so would defnitely want you guys review on this. Iam also thinking of buying this vehicle. So pls put in your experiences..
Old 17th August 2006, 01:11   #2
BHPian

Check This..

Hi Ulytel,
Have you checked this post??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...nuts-pics.html
Old 17th August 2006, 01:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

By underpowered do you by any chance mean turbo lag?
At lower rpms there just might not be enough boost from the turbo which can be quite irritating in traffic, but once at speed there shouldnt be any problems.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 17th August 2006 at 01:58.
Old 17th August 2006, 20:09   #4

I havent pushed the vehicle hard. Its in the city traffic, i felt the pickup is not as sufficient. I have to open the throttle more and more to get the pickup which i felt as underpowered.
I have currently a scorpio. Maybe iam used to scorpios pick up from standstill and not finding it in bolero.
I checked out the posts from bunny on his test drive on slx. Have to Appreciate him on his test drive. I did most similar to my scorpio when i bought it. Took her out for a 400km drive down south and it was all fun guys.

Any more inputs you guys have??
check this out guys.
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2006/jun24_1.htm
Old 18th August 2006, 10:16   #5
BHPian

see, these vehicles are not meant to be out n out performance cars.. The Bolero turbo is a huge improvement over the earlier one (the naturally aspirated IDI engine)
These vehicles are to be driven in their power band and being diesels need not be revved all the time. If u go and drive the safari lx (the 2.0 diesel) in city traffic, u will be shocked to see the difference. the Bolero SLX really excels in city traffic driving, it has lots of grunt which doesnt mean u end up shifting all the time.

Yes, i agree its under-powered when u push it, but this engine wasnt made for such things.. and one grouse i have is highway driving. There i totally agree that holding 110 in 5th is very diff and overtaking a volvo on the expressway wud take some good maths calculations
Old 18th August 2006, 14:59   #6

You are right bunny. I felt that the car would do good in city but not great in highway. If we can stay put and maintain a 80-90kmph, it would be ok. Overtaking should be a problem for this car.

Other wise this is a great car giving good mileage and so on.

Can you explain a bit more on holding in 110 at 5th gear. How was the car reacting and was it difficult to handle at that speed.
Old 18th August 2006, 17:42   #7
BHPian

yep at high speeds, the steering has zero feedback. It is very good at low speeds but feels too over assisted once above 78-80km/h..
Also, at 100+ in 5th even the slightest of inclines were givin me probs..
All said, at this price, the SLX is a good buy, you can even save more by going in for the Sports model

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks