Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2015, 20:02   #46
BHPian

Re: Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi

Great review and write up of your experience. I too have the white i20 and have been planning to get the roof wrap in glossy back but was in two minds as the folks at 3M santhome were not recommending this in the long run but after seeing your ride am thinking may be I should

I have the white sparco antenna and a red Jopasu duster as well ..so when I saw these pictures initially i was like ..
sandroidz80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 04:26   #47

Congrats for your new ride. I've always liked the i20. You have an excellent taste in writing. Keep it coming.
rohitchandra21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 13:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post
Great review and write up of your experience. I too have the white i20 and have been planning to get the roof wrap in glossy back but was in two minds as the folks at 3M santhome were not recommending this in the long run but after seeing your ride am thinking may be I should
Thanks mate!

I got the wrap done from 3M OMR, and the store owner Srivant did not voice any concerns regarding long term reliability.

In case I do come across any issues, I'll let the folks here know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitchandra21 View Post
Congrats for your new ride. I've always liked the i20. You have an excellent taste in writing. Keep it coming.
Thanks mate! Glad you liked reading what I wrote.

Folks, I've got a question.

How long does it normally take for the RC to be made?

It has been more than a month, but we still haven't received the RC.

How concerned should we be?
Old 6th August 2015, 19:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks mate!

I got the wrap done from 3M OMR, and the store owner Srivant did not voice any concerns regarding long term reliability.

In case I do come across any issues, I'll let the folks here know.

Thanks mate! Glad you liked reading what I wrote.

Folks, I've got a question.

How long does it normally take for the RC to be made?

It has been more than a month, but we still haven't received the RC.

How concerned should we be?
They usually say 60 days at the showroom but i got mine in 26 days. some may get it ever faster than that. May be you should call them to check on it.
sandroidz80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post
They usually say 60 days at the showroom but i got mine in 26 days. some may get it ever faster than that. May be you should call them to check on it.
Whelp, it seems that the RTO has run out of stock of smart cards at the moment.

That is the reason being quoted for the delay! Apparently it will take another week or so for the RC to be delivered.

We've got a trip to Kerala planned at the end of August. If the RC doesn't come by then, we are gonna be so screwed

Isn't it illegal to drive a car without the RC? What if a cop stops me right now and asks for the RC! What do I do then!

Come August 27, it will be 2 months since we got the car! RC should be available by then, don't you think?
Old 8th August 2015, 01:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Whelp, it seems that the RTO has run out of stock of smart cards at the moment.

That is the reason being quoted for the delay! Apparently it will take another week or so for the RC to be delivered.

We've got a trip to Kerala planned at the end of August. If the RC doesn't come by then, we are gonna be so screwed

Isn't it illegal to drive a car without the RC? What if a cop stops me right now and asks for the RC! What do I do then!

Come August 27, it will be 2 months since we got the car! RC should be available by then, don't you think?
You get it in a weird wide period from something like a month to 5 or 6 months (my friend's example, in Pune). But I suppose you could use the receipt until then.
And here in Pune the contract of the smart card printers with the RTO expired and now I have a scroll like a hand kerchief, called the RC. It's getting folded badly in my wallet since I'm afraid to leave it in the car. I'm planning to laminate it, keep it at home and carry a Xerox copy with me.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:13   #52
BHPian

Re: Itne Paise Mein Itna Ichh Milenga

Quote:

I managed to post a thread about my car! Phew, now that's an achievement.

Yes, I'm very lazy. As I'm sure you can see, over the past 8 years that I've been a member of Team-Bhp, I've only made 270 & some posts

I don't have too many photos of my car at the moment, as there are many updates which are currently in progress.

Nothing mechanical, only cosmetic. Don't worry, I'm not stickering it, or adding under-body neons to it.
Hi Sourav
Just went through your Thread and found it quite interesting. Can you tell me which Dealer you got the car from ? I live in Medavakkam and I was wondering which dealer might be good to deal with, also if you have a contact, it would be great. I am thinking of buying the Elite i20 for my wife by the end of the year or early next yr. Asta seems to be in the final list now. Also waiting for the new figo hatch to be released.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th September 2015 at 09:25. Reason: Fixing quotes.
keshav1426 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:28   #53
BHPian

Re: Itne Paise Mein Itna Ichh Milenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hi Sourav
Just went through your Thread and found it quite interesting. Can you tell me which Dealer you got the car from ? I live in Medavakkam and I was wondering which dealer might be good to deal with, also if you have a contact, it would be great.
Hi Keshav,

Thanks! Glad you liked reading what I wrote.

We got the car from Express Hyundai. You may contact them at 044-39303930/8056077724.

I've sent you a PM regarding the contacts.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 12:00   #54
BHPian

Finally got the RC!

Kudos to Express Hyundai for following up consistently and getting the RC done earlier than expected!

Now, time for some long distance trips and impromptu weekend getaways

Keep watching this space.
Old 25th September 2015, 23:39   #55
BHPian

5000 KMS up!

…picking up from where we left off at the end of the initial review…

Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi-image1.jpg

H: Whale, whale whale! Whaddya know! We’ve covered 5000 KMS in less than 3 months since we bought the car! Isn’t that something!

M: LOL. I don’t see why you’re so surprised.

H: You know, I’ve always had my doubts regarding owning a car, and a new one at that. I’ve always thought about the day when something will go wrong. And, I’ve always dreaded imagining what I’d do if something did go wrong.

M: And?

H: Heh, no heart attacks till now. Not even a little one! (Bangs knuckles on wood twice and imitates the touch wood thingy)

M: So, for once, I get to say I told you so!

H: Yep, you can say that again.

M: OK then, let’s have it. What all do you not like so far?

H: Huh?? Why do you ask that? What makes you think there is something that I don’t like about the car?

M: Seriously? You wanna do this right now? You honestly think that I don’t know how you feel about this car?

H: Uh, no dude. There’s nothing wrong with it!

M: … Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi-really.jpeg

H: OK fine Sherlock! Jeez!

M: Out with it man!

H: Well, since you asked, there are a couple of things that I don’t like all that much about the car. To start with, there’s the steering. But you knew that already. So, I’ll move on to something that I’ve only experienced since we’ve actually started using the car.

M: Which is?

H: …well, it’s the suspension setup, the ride & the handling.

M: There it is!

H: Heh, you’re really sneaky, you know that?

M: So?

H: Well, about the ride & handling thingamajig. It’s not that I don’t like it. It’s that I’ve become so used to the sorted & stable dynamics of the Optra, I’m beginning to understand the difference between a good handling car & a great handling car. You can say that I’ve matured when it comes to cars!

M: I’m sure you have, but tell me more.

H: It’s simple really. I would have liked it even more if the ride was more planted, the handling was tighter, and the dynamics were a bit..european. It’s not that they’re bad or that the car handles & rides like a boat, but just imagine how nice it could be, if it was a bit tighter! Geddit?

M: Well, I concur. I too feel the same way. Everything else about the car is a solid 10. It’s the ride & handling department that needs improvement.

H: Hey hey hey! Did I say it needs improvement?

M: Huh? What do you mean?

H: I said “I would have liked it”. I didn’t say it needs improvement!

M: Oh, I get it! It’s your preference & your opinion, right? Not something that applies to the situation, as a whole? Or, to everyone?

H: Sometimes mate, I don’t see why they call you the brains of the organization. I said I would like it tighter. I do not mean that the rest of the world would like it tighter as well! Not everyone is an enthusiast! If they were, a well-known Italian manufacturer would’ve been selling cars by the case! Not some Korean manufacturer. I’d gladly trade ride & handling for reliability, quality, and peace of mind.

M: Hmm, well you’re right on that one. As a product, the i20 is pretty much complete. Yes, there are certain aspects that we would have liked better. But nevertheless, these are tiny little things really.

H: Now you’re talking sense!

M: So, what else?

H: Nothing. Really. Seriously. Honestly.

M: OK. So what were your best moments from the last 5000 KMS that you’ve spent with the car?

H: I loved the time when we drove from Chennai to Kerala & back for less than it would’ve cost to buy a couple of 2nd AC train tickets. I loved the time when we did this trip, blasting through the highways at unmentionable speeds, with the climate control set to 22 degrees, and covered more than 600 KMS of highways in less than 8 hours. I loved it when we overtook that pompous arse on the highway driving the Jetta like a maniac, just because we could! I loved it when we encountered bad roads entering Thrissur, knowing that there’s got to be a Hyundai center somewhere around, and that they will stock spare parts, in case we break something traversing that piece of crap road. I loved the time when people got into our car and said how wonderful & spacious the interiors are. I loved that Saturday when we didn’t feel like making lunch, and we drove to Café Xtasi in Pondy for a couple of wood fire pizzas, just in time for lunch because the darn thing can sit comfortably on the highway doing silly 3 digit speeds all day long, when its 38 degrees out, without a care in the world. I loved it when you took the car all the way to <insert unmentionable speeds here> and I was pinned back in my seat when the rev counter went north of 3000 rpm, even though it all felt as relaxing and calm as a head massage. I loved it when we went to each and every shopping mall in the city, just because the darn thing is small & compact on the outside and so ludicrously easy to park, just about anywhere. I loved it when we left it parked around the rougher parts of town, knowing that no one would hurt it, because it’s just another Hyundai. I loved it when you didn’t have to crane your neck around when we are parking in a tight spot, because you’ve got all the help you need. I loved it when we were sitting in the stupid, gnarly traffic jam outside the office, all cool & comfy, without worrying about the auto tranny going nuts & overheating doing stop-start traffic. I loved it when we drove into the basement of that mall, and the headlamps came on automatically, and we saw that massive speed bump just in time to brake. I loved it when it started beeping like crazy the moment you stepped out of the car with the keys in your pocket and the engine running. I loved it when it started beeping like crazy when you’re in reverse and the sensors go ape-s#!7, but when you step out you see there’s enough space to move around to the back. I loved it when…

M: Alright alright…Great! I get it. You loved pretty much each and every moment of it. Is that it?

H: Well, yes!

M: Sheesh. Could’ve just said so. What a chatter box!

H: Oii! You’re the one who asked for it!

All jokes & fun stuff aside, it has been a tremendous 5000 KMS for us. And, we are very happy to share it with all of you. Apart from the ride, handling & dynamics thingy, which really is a tiny miniscule thing, this car has been just stupendous! It hasn’t missed a beat. Whether it is rush hour, stop-start traffic, or parking in tight spots, or just blasting down the highway doing seriously unmentionable speeds all day long, or carrying a boat load of people in it across town, there isn’t a single instance where we’ve found it lacking. We love how it looks, we love how it feels, we love how it drives, and we love driving it. For the nerdy one’s looking at running costs and stuff, here’s the low down. Fuel efficiency is a constant 19 KMPL in the city. Doesn’t matter how you drive it, I’ve never seen it dip. On the highways, again, it’s a constant 21-22 KMPL, doesn’t matter what you do with it. So far, I’ve spent 0 rupees on maintenance. And have covered 5000+ KMS on 6.5 diesel tankfuls. That comes to nearly 19.5 KMPL on an average, while doing some silly speeds on the highway & stop-start traffic in the city! AC is flawless. Bluetooth telephony is absolutely brilliant, as is audio streaming. Steering mounted controls are a joy to use & the interiors are 100% rattle free. NVH is unbelievable for a diesel, it really is that good! I could go on and on, yapping about good this and great that, but the fact is this: as a package, the i20 is absolutely awesome! Sure, maybe it isn’t that fun in the corners as other euroboxes, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work in the real world! After all, how many times a day are you carving corners and doing 0-100 dashes? I know sure as hell I’m not! And, it’s a trade-off I’d gladly accept. As of today, I’d gladly trade in my wanton lust for a eurobox that rides beautifully through corners and feels flat on the highway but breaks down all the time, with no spare parts in sight, for some Korean/Japanese make that maybe isn’t that fun to drive, but has 0 reliability concerns in the long run. Just so I can keep enjoying it longer than the other guy, who is still waiting for the parts to arrive.

Keeping it short, just four words: Loving. It. Cannot. Complain. Even if we wanted to!
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 10:04   #56
BHPian

I couldn't have agreed more. The ease of parking, refinement of diesel and interiors have spoiled me to core. Wish you miles of great driving !
anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 02:23   #57

Well articulated initial ownership review. Wish you many more happy miles .
Can you tell me..how much did the 3M work cost?
Pravinzs77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 13:10   #58
BHPian

Congratulations sourav9385. It was an excellent write-up and I thoroughly enjoyed the debate of Dil Vs Dimaag.

i20 is a no nonsense car which one can enjoy for years to come as Hyundai is already ahead with at-least 2 years in plonking all those gizmos compared to the competition. Sadly, they have missed out on couple of them in this version of i20 but still there are plenty to keep you engaged. Enjoy the ownership and we will wait for more such heart Vs mind debates.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravinzs77 View Post
...Can you tell me how much did the 3M work cost?
The 3M PPF? Well, that costs Rs. 500/- per sq. feet of material. After that, it depends on how much surface you want to cover. I got the following covered: the front bumper, hood, front quarter panels, rear bumper, rear boot lid, door edges & ORVMs. As far as I remember, it was about 67 sq. feet. So that came to about 33K. After that, I got the under body anti rust coating, glossy black vinyl wrap on the roof and the C pillars, 3M CR 70 sun film with 70% VLT on the front windscreen & front windows, & finally 3M Nomad Mats in beige. I don't remember the exact number for each of those, so I'll give you an approx quote. Anti Rust is 4K, gloss black vinyl wrap is Rs 290/- per sq. feet, CR 70 for windshield and windows was 14K thereabouts, and mats were 3-4K. That's all there's to it. Hope that answers your query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
..i20 is a no nonsense car which one can enjoy for years to come as Hyundai is already ahead with at-least 2 years in plonking all those gizmos compared to the competition. Sadly, they have missed out on couple of them in this version of i20 but still there are plenty to keep you engaged. Enjoy the ownership ...
Thanks mate! And I couldn't agree more. The i20 is an absolutely no-nonsense car, and has enough charm to keep one smiling all through the day, under all circumstances! Will cross 10K in a few more months, and will update the thread post after that.
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 11:51   #60
BHPian

It has been a year and 2 months since we bought our i20, and it has been smooth sailing so far. 0 niggles. 0 issues.

The odometer just ticked over the 20k mark this morning.
Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi-20k.jpg

I've really got nothing else to add to my ownership thread at this time . I've nothing to report other than the fact that the car works brilliantly, come rain or sun, does crazy triple digit speeds on the highways when it's burning outside while keeping us cozy at 24 degrees with the blower ticking over at speed 1 or 2. It returns stellar fuel economy considering how we drive it, crawling along in bumper to bumper traffic since the missus moved to a new office space, or thrashing the bejesus out of it on the highway that lets us cover Thrissur to Chennai within 8 hours with a lunch break

I've stopped using the crap mineral oil from Hyundai and have started using the semi synthetic stuff from Shell. The 10W40 thingy. The engine revs much more freely and the clatter is much reduced than before. I have been thinking about upgrading the headlamps to a projector setup but I'm not able to find qualified folks who can do this in Chennai. Not interested in getting it done from anywhere else, as I don't have the time to go out of Chennai just for a headlamp upgrade. Will probably shift to the fully synthetic oil from 25k onward as the final free service is complete. Next stop, an FNG.

The car is absolutely rattle free, and the PPF & vinyls are holding up well. Apart from one tiny dent on the front left door, courtesy of Express Hyundai, everything is in mint condition (*touchwood*) and I sincerely hope it stays that way. All in all, extremely satisfying feeling of ownership so far. Here's to many more miles of trouble free motoring. Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks