Team-BHP - 'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/166434-chasing-life-our-maruti-alto-k10-vxi-amt-fire-brick-red-edit-10-000-km-up-6.html)

Been seven months and the car has clocked 6k on odometer. Lovely drive in the city full of traffic jams. Good power on demand and easy to squeeze between tight places

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4115722)
Would that IRVM be a direct fit for my current Alto?

IRVM is same in both models of Alto IIRC.

Does your Alto have the cabin lamp merged in the IRVM unit? If yes, then the D/N IRVM that I have fixed will fit in your Alto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 4115723)
Been seven months and the car has clocked 6k on odometer.

That's great Sir. For ONLY city use, this car is great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4115722)
Would that IRVM be a direct fit for my current Alto?

Sam

Yes Sir, Altos have always come with one design for IRVMs :)

Regards,
Shashi

I have recently bought an Alto K10 VXi(O) with AMT in Jan 2017 and overall I am happy with the vehicle having driven it for 800 Km. I think it was a good buy for me to drive in the daily Hinjewadi/Pune traffic.

However, I have recently noticed that at low gears (2nd and 3rd) I get a lot of vibration/feedback on the steering wheel. Is this normal for a 3-cylinder engine? I am up for the first free service so I will ask the MASS to look it but have any of the other AMT owners noticed something like this?

Also in a normal manual transmission car where I would normally drive in the 2nd gear, I notice that the Alto K10 AMT shifts to 1 quickly and seems to loiter around there (example in a parking deck when I am cruising at a very slow speed).

Maybe I just need to get used to how an AMT behaves but I just thought I would ask in this forum in case people have had similar experiences with the Alto K10 AMT.

Thanks

Been really long since the last update..

Nothing much to write as she is performing reliably. Wifey is loving the drive to her college and back.

Odometer currently is at 17,233 kms. Last 3 calculations for FE (Full tank basis) was between 17.1 to 17.9 kmpl where AC is ON 100% of the time and mostly it is only her in the car.

Yesterday took her to work instead of my Swift and man.. What a pain it was for me to get adjusted to the K10.

Central Console
'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-img_20170320_071901.jpg

HU
'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-img_20170320_072010.jpg

AMT gear lever
'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-img_20170320_072029.jpg

Skinny tyres, unstable ride and frightening hereon
'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-img_20170320_072003.jpg

After a incident, this is how the steering wheel is whereby car goes straight. Will ASC rectify it or some parts need change?
'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-img_20170320_072722.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4166452)
Yesterday took her to work instead of my Swift and man.. What a pain it was for me to get adjusted to the K10.

Forget about your experience with the K10, what did your wife have to say about the Swift? :) She might not return it to you!

Quote:

After a incident, this is how the steering wheel is whereby car goes straight. Will ASC rectify it or some parts need change?

Just take it to your wheel alignment shop, or the ASC. They'll re-centre the steering wheel by removing the bolt that holds it to the steering column, aligning the steering wheel correctly, and then fitting it back.

You mention "after an incident" - if it was some form of impact, did you get the tie-rods, steering system etc. checked for bends or damage? If yes, that's fine, just get the steering wheel re-centred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4166466)
Shall take it to the alignment center and rectify it in a day or two.

Here's the TBHP thread that discusses this issue, with the same solution: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ff-center.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4166458)
what did your wife have to say about the Swift?.

She hasn't driven it yet. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4166458)
If yes, that's fine, just get the steering wheel re-centred.

Ya. All checked. No damage to suspension or tyres whatsoever.

Shall take it to the alignment center and rectify it in a day or two. Thank you.

Quote:

Horn is weak and needs replacement. I am planning to add my Swift's spare horn set to the K10. I hope it is possible?

Yes, definitely possible. Also, to ensure consistent horn performance, just make sure you add a horn relay if it isn't already there.

The Alto K10 isn't such a bad car. Com'on....!!! It's made for a purpose and fulfils that wonderfully within a budget that it is made at. Drive it for a week and while may not be bewitched, you will surely be impressed.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4166844)
The Alto K10 isn't such a bad car. Com'on....!!! It's made for a purpose and fulfils that wonderfully within a budget that it is made at. Drive it for a week and while may not be bewitched, you will surely be impressed

It is a car that rocks everything that it was bought for. No issues and very reliable.

I just don't like AT's and the way they perform (GT TSI is an exception lol:)

I am happy with the car but it can't be daily beater car which My Swift does. Hence the aversion. Nothing wrong with the car at all. I am sorry if it is conveyed that way.

Quote:

Horn is weak and needs replacement. I am planning to add my Swift's spare horn set to the K10. I hope it is possible?!

Yes it is possible. I had fit the swift horn in my K10 as well. Works on the same relay as well. You just need to buy new male and female horns. Just one thing though, the horn sound will cause a little vibration on the pedals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunsangal (Post 4166864)
You just need to buy new male and female horns. Just one thing though, the horn sound will cause a little vibration on the pedals.

I have these with in my car's boot:

'Chasing Life' with our Maruti Alto K10 VXi AMT (Fire Brick Red). EDIT: 10,000 km up-wrong-horn.jpg

I hope they fit correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4166901)
I have these with in my car's boot:

Attachment 1620711

I hope they fit correctly.

Don't remember the OEM code offhand, but looks similar. Just make sure the power rating is matched to the relay and fuse. In my case the service adviser confirmed the K10 came with the correct relay and the fuses matched as well.

Quote:

[list][*]First no clutch pedal, second no steering wheel controls, hard suspension and lethargic response in D mode, I know it is tuned for city speeds plus for FE.

I think for the price paid, absense of steering wheel controls can be forgotton. Its lethargic because the AMT gearshifts are inherently slow, unlike Dual clutch/DSG.

Quote:

[*]I drove it always in M mode, beats the purpose, I am helpless. At 60 kmph she is in 5th gear!!
Atleast, you are not using the clutch. I actually found driving in M mode quite comfortable during a test drive. The repeated pressing/releasing of clutch in urban traffic is the most annoying thing of manual transmission according to me - not the actual shifting of gears itself.

Quote:

[*]Post 100 kmph, car judders.Alignment, balancing and rotation done at 15K.
Alto is not meant to be driven at those speeds. AMT or not. :)

Quote:

[*]When playing songs, if I switch off the HU and restart the song starts from No.1 and from the song where I left it last. A pain as one needs to scroll through to get to the song;
Slightly unrelated, but how is the sound quality from the stock HU ? Does the K10 come with 2 speakers or 4 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunsangal (Post 4167010)
Just make sure the power rating is matched to the relay and fuse.

Planning to get this wiring+relay set for the horns that I intend to install:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00FDPYH2O/..._wE-ZybYXC93EB

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 4167023)
Slightly unrelated, but how is the sound quality from the stock HU ? Does the K10 come with 2 speakers or 4 ?

Sound quality is poor. Comes with 2 speakers on the front door.

Didn't upgrade as wife finds the output okay for her irregular listening to music on the go.

Quote:

.. 17.1 to 17.9 kmpl where AC is ON 100% of the time and mostly it is only her in the car.

That's a good mileage with the AC ON. Around 16.5kmpl is the best I could extract so far.

Quote:

[*]Post 100 kmph, car judders.Alignment, balancing and rotation done at 15K.

No. The car does not judder at those speeds on a smooth road, may be you should check the wheel balancing again. Around 100kmph the ride is smooth if the road is flat with minimal cross winds.

Quote:

[*]When playing songs, if I switch off the HU and restart the song starts from No.1 and from the song where I left it last. A pain as one needs to scroll through to get to the song;

I have not tried it with CD or AUX but I play songs from USB pen drive and the HU plays from where I left after restart, every time. After leaving office in the evening I start the car and turn on the HU and the song is played from where I left in the morning. It plays from No.1 only if I unplug the pen drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4166854)
I just don't like AT's and the way they perform (GT TSI is an exception lol:)

Like n.devdath said, you should drive it regularly to appreciate it and definitely you will. Also, don't drive with the GT TSI in your mind or your dislike for AT's ;)