Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 00:48   #31

Re: My 2015 VW Vento TDI DSG Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
The AVN system in HL+ is the Blau 835 which is also available as a accessory with VW dealers themselves. You can get it installed in the HL DSG without issues.
Thanks ethanhunt123! That's good news. I myself expected it to be so. But I got contrary info from the VW dealership. I did ask VW Whitefield if the AVN system of the HL+ can be fitted onto the HL TDI DSG. The sales advisor said no, it can't. Guess I will have to check with another dealership or sales advisor to verify. Anyone else on the group who has a view?
Old 29th October 2015, 08:35   #32
BHPian

Congats execve on your purchase of the Vento TDi DSG.

I have been using a Vento TDi for the last 5 years and the driving pleasure (even in the manual) is matchless in this range. This car has to be driven on long trips to get the full enjoyment.

Wishing you trouble free and enjoyable driving.
tomchacks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 08:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoorag View Post
Thanks ethanhunt123! That's good news. I myself expected it to be so. But I got contrary info from the VW dealership. I did ask VW Whitefield if the AVN system of the HL+ can be fitted onto the HL TDI DSG. The sales advisor said no, it can't. Guess I will have to check with another dealership or sales advisor to verify. Anyone else on the group who has a view?

Check with VW Palace Cross - he offered to install the Blau 835 in the Jetta at the time of delivery.
Old 29th October 2015, 09:00   #34
BHPian

Re: My VW Vento 2015 NightBlue Highline TDI DSG

Congrats, execve! VW Vento DSG is something I had shortlisted some time back as my next car, however, I could not complete this deal due to various reasons. One of my concern was the GC. With very low GC (Reduced from the previous to facelift version), I was curious about what happens with full load, you definitely confirm my concern. This is surely not the case with Rapid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
*** DSG Feedback
The manual mode does not allow one to upshift to a higher gear unless once crosses a minimum RPM level. This is even for lower gears; whereas when the DSG is in Drive mode, it moves very fast to D2. D1 is only used when one is starting or just about to stop.
I am surprised with this! I did not experience this during my TD or maybe I did not pay attention as much as an owner
However, since manual mode is supposed to give control to the driver, I expect it upshifts/downshifts when driver demands thru the gear change, it must not wait for the specific RPM. If this is happening, why would one use manual, right? Can you reconfirm this, because its hard to believe (No offense!)
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 09:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
However, since manual mode is supposed to give control to the driver, I expect it upshifts/downshifts when driver demands thru the gear change, it must not wait for the specific RPM. If this is happening, why would one use manual, right? Can you reconfirm this, because its hard to believe (No offense!)
It will downshift in Manual mode if the RPM is not too high. Say you are in D2 at 5K rpm and goto manual mode and try to down shift, it will ignore your input to save the transmissions from wearing out.

In my Polo GT..
For upshifts you have to take it past 1.5 to 2K in the current gear. The only reason I can think of is that up shifting below that range puts you in into a very low RPM for the next gear.
On a gradual long slope you can go upto 6 even at 40 kmph. 7 doesn't engage unless you give it a bit of gas. Once in 7 it will hold on to that gear with no gas and continue to roll down the slope.

RPM range for TDI + DSG will difffer but its the same logic ...

Last edited by freedom : 29th October 2015 at 09:23.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, execve! VW Vento DSG is something I had shortlisted some time back as my next car, however, I could not complete this deal due to various reasons. One of my concern was the GC. With very low GC (Reduced from the previous to facelift version), I was curious about what happens with full load, you definitely confirm my concern. This is surely not the case with Rapid!
I have not driven much with full load -- and full load is a rarity in my case ; but yes, I did have that one incident with not even 5 adult passengers which does lead to some concerns - one just has to be extra careful I suppose.

Quote:
I am surprised with this! I did not experience this during my TD or maybe I did not pay attention as much as an owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
It will downshift in Manual mode if the RPM is not too high. Say you are in D2 at 5K rpm and goto manual mode and try to down shift, it will ignore your input to save the transmissions from wearing out.

RPM range for TDI + DSG will difffer but its the same logic ...
Yes, I believe in manual the DSG keeps sufficient buffer there for the RPM range for some reason thereby not allowing the engine to knock or stall due to lower RPM. There is a very clear difference in the manual compared to the D mode when it shifts much earlier.

Last edited by execve : 29th October 2015 at 10:38. Reason: typo
execve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoorag View Post
The HL+ is only for the manual version, not the DSG. Big disappointment.
Features wise, the HL+ packs in a Navigation system, black roof wrap, black/carbon fibre finish ORVMS, and some other things.
I checked with my friend in VW Mysore and he says he can get me offer kit in DSG model .

On different note diesel gate scandal spreads its tentacle here with 1lac cars to be recalled

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnb...s_3851681.html
Old 4th November 2015, 18:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
..One of my concern was the GC. With very low GC (Reduced from the previous to facelift version), ..
Quote:
...I did have that one incident with not even 5 adult passengers which does lead to some concerns - one just has to be extra careful I suppose.
I have a colleague who got DSG version a couple of months back, and he has been very cautious with load he puts due to low GC.
He mentioned its max 4 (including driver) for him due to this.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:46   #39
BHPian

First experience of VW A.S.S & the visit to the workshop

An update to this thread after a while. Around the first month anniversary of taking delivery of my dear Vento, I had an incident. Without saying too much, I first let the pictures convey the rest.

My 2015 VW Vento TDI DSG Highline-img_20151029_183100.jpg
My 2015 VW Vento TDI DSG Highline-img_20151029_183106.jpg

How this came to happen - you may ask?

For those who know Bangalore, this happened on the ORR when I get back to the main ORR from under the KR Puram bridge service road. Here is the map - I am obviously the small arrow here.
My 2015 VW Vento TDI DSG Highline-19112015-094622.png

Two Tempo carriers from either side trying to cross ahead of me - I was obviously watching out for the right guy - but then the one on the left got a bit too eager and tried crossing me over -- and crunch - Left ORVM is crushed and backwards. As a reflex I turned slightly to the right - and the right ORVM also got entangled in the back grill in the right tempo and turned backwards. The right guy thankfully stopped - and I could navigate the car ahead and I just pushed the right ORVM ahead and it got fixed. The left one on the other hand was a mess. The left tempo obviously didnt stop even though I had waved him to - and I didnt even note the registration number.

In hindsight, I really dont know what I could have done differently especially since the problem came from an area which was least expected and there was no way I could avoid that! I also consider myself lucky that there was no main body impact from the left.

I stopped the car a bit ahead - checked that the mirror folding doesnt work any more for the left ORVM - the whole assembly almost fell down and the rotor keeps turning round and round. I opened it again and fixed it in place - and checked that the mirror adjustment itself was working well.

Now the experience of the VW A.S.S
1) Called up VW Whitefield - Sir, we do not have a slot - all appointments are booked. You can only come next week!
2) Called up VW Palace Cross - Hessargata - Sir, we do not have this part in stock. We need to procure it, but you need to first come and make an advance payment for the same - it will take 5-7 days and then you can come and get it fixed!!

I then got the appointment fixed with VW Whitefield for the next week since I wanted to avoid two trips! For me, it was clear that the whole assembly needed to be changed!

The left ORVM itself was usable though the mirror was cracked I had a clear view from the drivers seat. So I sealed the broken parts of the assembly with some duct tape to avoid rain water going into the car and causing some other damage. Bangalore has been having almost daily rains recently. Now around this time, my work had become more demanding and I could not take out the needed time for taking the car to the workshop and re-scheduled for the week after.

On the day of the new appointment I go to the ASC, however there is continuous rain that morning and I am late by almost half an hour to my appointment time. Compared to a M.A.S.S, there is no one to guide the car in - or help; so I just parked the car inside in the workshop and went to the service desk.

Lady at the desk: Sir, seems that you are late. You need to wait 15-20 mins. Please have a seat. I notice there is no place to sit in the customer lounge and continue waiting at the desk.

After around 20 mins, she calls up a SA - I meet him - explain I just want the assembly fixed and nothing else touched. I asked him how long - he said should be 2 hours - I then explain that this is the new Vento HL with foldable body coloured mirrors - dont you need to paint it ? Ummm... he says he will check and get back. Then after 5-10 mins, he comes and takes me again to the Lady at the desk (LATD).

LATD: Sir, you can only get your car tomorrow
Me: What? That is unacceptable. You had told me when I had called you that it would take around 3 hours.
LATD: Then I suggest you skip the painint - you can take the assembly in black colour
Me: I am not taking my car without the painted assembly. Why does it take so long - please check and let me know exactly.
-lot more discussion-
LATD: OK Sir, we can give it to you at 6 PM.

I then head to office since it wasnt possible for me to spend the day there - and on the way I notice that the SA has indicated in the job card - R/H assembly. I called up the number given - and it wasnt the SA who I had spoken to - it was another SA who was still on his way to the ASC. Then I called up the LATD and told her that it is written R/H, but it is actually the left side - so please check this and dont mess it up. She assures me that she will take care of it.

Around 5, I get a call from the new SA - Sir, your car is ready.
I then leave office and reach just before 6.

Check the car - the folding controls, the mirror movement etc. Looks OK. Paint job is also good - though couldn't make a very clear comparision since it was dusky.

Paperwork itself was smooth - and I could sit in my car within around 15 minutes of reaching the A.S.C.

And here is the damage!
My 2015 VW Vento TDI DSG Highline-img_20151119_103042.145.png

Overall summary of the experience:
  • Be prepared to spend some time at the ASC - even for smaller jobs
  • Do not expect that you can just walk in! You need to take an appointment
  • VW Whitefield is quite crowded and looks like they are really being stretched for the capacity that they have
  • VW Hesserghata ASC needs to stock atleast some fast moving components like these - they cannot expect customers to make multiple visits
  • I still love the car - and there was not much inconvenience other than the waiting time for the appointment and the ASC trying to take more time than what actually needed.

Overall the car feels great. Done around 1800 kms so far. Yet to take her out on a longer drive - but I really love it even in my office commute if the roads are a bit open!
execve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can completely relate to your frustration and dismay execve as I had the privilege of experiencing the same last month

One tip/trick to ensure a smoother VW A.S.S is to ensure you stick to one SE at all times. I am not sure whom you got in touch with, but from my personal & most recent experience, gentleman by name Joseph is one of the best and more importantly sensible folks out there.

German engineering/product is almost flawless but for the most part, VW A.S.S seems like uneducated at times!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 19th November 2015 at 11:07.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now the experience of the VW A.S.S
1) Called up VW Whitefield - Sir, we do not have a slot - all appointments are booked. You can only come next week!
2) Called up VW Palace Cross - Hessargata - Sir, we do not have this part in stock. We need to procure it, but you need to first come and make an advance payment for the same - it will take 5-7 days and then you can come and get it fixed!!

LATD: Sir, you can only get your car tomorrow
Me: What? That is unacceptable. You had told me when I had called you that it would take around 3 hours.
LATD: Then I suggest you skip the painint - you can take the assembly in black colour
Me: I am not taking my car without the painted assembly. Why does it take so long - please check and let me know exactly.
-lot more discussion-
LATD: OK Sir, we can give it to you at 6 PM. [/list]
Thanks for the update. VW Service Centers in Bangalore are awfully short on capacity. Only VW Heserghatta has decent space. VW Whitefield as you said is extremely crowded. Not many people prefer to go to VW Hosur Road.

For my 2nd service I got a slot only 2 weeks after the date I called. That is quite unacceptable. And as you mentioned, for minor stuff, it is not possible to walk in also (In the current scenario, considering their capacity, this makes sense).

Due to the volumes, I think they are trying the 'Sir, you will get the car only tomorrow' as a standard line. For my 2nd service they said the same thing. When I pushed, they said they can hand it over without washing-Which I said ok to (since I needed the car for my trip later that week and I needed at least 2-3 days in between to drive the car a bit before the trip). when i went for delivery, they had done all the work including washing and the car was ready before the promised time.

So I think they try by default to buy some time and for those who push back, they do the needful.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 18:54   #42
BHPian

Bad luck execv but good that nothing serious happened to the car or anyone around. The way you have explained it could have got a lot worse than this.
Meanwhile, I had some problem with my front left door. It refuses to open from inside. The VW Hosur Road guys have fixed it twice and it snaps out within a day.
Today I showed it to one Mr. Patrick and he said he would do a thorough check on Tuesday. Let's see.
Feels quite bad to spend so much on a car and then run around the SC for such small things.
Raneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 21:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Two Tempo carriers from either side trying to cross ahead of me - I was obviously watching out for the right guy - but then the one on the left got a bit too eager and tried crossing me over -- and crunch - Left ORVM is crushed and backwards..
That is one of most frustrating thing to watch out while driving, all sorts of vehicles (esp. two wheelers and auto/trolley folks) try to overtake from both sides.
In case of a bit heavy traffic where you can't decisively move ahead of left guy it becomes difficult to manage.

Hard luck on the damage, fortunately - as you said - the damage was restricted to mirror, it could have easily been worse.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
For my 2nd service I got a slot only 2 weeks after the date I called. That is quite unacceptable. And as you mentioned, for minor stuff, it is not possible to walk in also (In the current scenario, considering their capacity, this makes sense).
So I think they try by default to buy some time and for those who push back, they do the needful.
Basically one then needs to start booking for the appointment almost 3 weeks before the actual service! Thats quite a long waiting time -- and for me coming from the M.A.S.S where I used to just drive in without an appointment, it will take a bit of digesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Hard luck on the damage, fortunately - as you said - the damage was restricted to mirror, it could have easily been worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
Bad luck execv but good that nothing serious happened to the car or anyone around. The way you have explained it could have got a lot worse than this.
Meanwhile, I had some problem with my front left door. It refuses to open from inside. The VW Hosur Road guys have fixed it twice and it snaps out within a day.
Yes, I would say that I have also been lucky that there wasnt bigger damage. For the door problem, is there some alignment issue - how does the alignment seem with the frame of the body when the door is closed ? Quite surprising that the door doesnt open at all. Hope you are able to sort this one out - would be extremely inconvenient. Of course, if the passenger is a lady, you can always do a show of chivalry ;-).
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:36   #45
Team-BHP Support

Woah, so the new mirror assembly with the electric folding and indicators cost only Rs. 5800? Now that seems cheap to me! Or did they reuse any parts from the stock assembly?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2015 at 00:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks