Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:31   #1
BHPian

My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE

Hi all,
This is my first post on Team-BHP kindly excuse any flaws and thank you for the patient reading.

Finally, after a month and a half of owning my dad's first diesel car, I'm here to share my initial experience with all members. The Renault Lodgy 85ps RXE.

The big decision:

The swift dzire was the main ride for a little over six years and it had clocked 60,000 odd kilometers. The floods came and it hit our locality(kodambakkam) pretty hard. The dzire wouldn't start so we had to jump start it. But we soon realized that the power steering motor had gone. The steering was very hard and it was almost impossible to steer the vehicle. My dad was reluctant to have it fixed because it was any way nearing its end of life cycle. The decision to sell our family's first sedan was made. A broker was identified and the swift dzire VXI was sold for a mere 2 Lakhs!!

The search & booking:

As you would have realized the cars in our family generally run 10K kilometers a year. And with the cost of petrol rising dad thought it would be a good idea to go for a diesel. My dad uses the car for everyday commute and he always had a affection towards the BIG cars (big in size). So he listed the following conditions.

1. It should be a SUV/MUV kind of vehicle.
2. Should seat at least 7 in reasonable comfort.
3. ABS mandatory airbags not important.
4. Features and other creature comforts not important(both me and dad aren't fond of features).
5. Reasonably well priced.
6. Fuel efficiency would not be a deciding factor but should be more than the dzire (dzire returned only 10 KMPL).
7. Should be dependable and have good dynamics without compromising on ride quality.

Based on his requirements I gave him a few suggestions:

1. Renault Lodgy
2. Chevrolet Enjoy
3. Mahindra XYLO

I rejected the scorpio and safari for the poor third row seats and the innova due to absurdly high pricing. The mobilio for the thin sheet metal feel was also rejected by me.

Dad soon did some research and liked the lodgy so we went to Mount road Renault ,khivraj dealership. Dad was impressed by the space and comfort levels in the car. More over huge cash discounts were offered and dad was satisfied with the bang it offered for buck. Dad immediately asked for the color options available for the RXE trim and decided on "absolute steel".
YES!! we booked it without even test driving!

Evening me dad mom and my elder brother went to see the car and all four of us came home with satisfaction. Deep down we knew we had found our next ride. The next day the test drive was done and the payment was made.
Actual cost : 10,72,000
Discount : 1,07,000
Total cost : 9,65,000

Only after making the payment we got a chance to do a full PDI of our car. Due to the floods officials from Renault had to inspect the vehicle before delivery and it had caused some delay of 3 days. One fine morning our sales agent called us and told we could come for vehicle inspection. I downloaded the Team-BHP PDI checklist and went to their yard. Thoroughly examined the car inside out and came fully satisfied.

The Delivery:

On the 23rd of December 2016 our sales agent called and told us the vehicle was taken for registration and delivery would be made in the evening. We were all excited. We went to the showroom at sharp 4:00 PM but was made to wait till almost 7:00 PM. The car was fully polished as my dad opted for the full 3M protection. We gave sweets to our agent and he explained all the features of the car and how to fold the seats etc. Once all this was done took a picture with the agent gave him the sweets we had bought and we drove home.

Accessories added in showroom:

Floor mats and mud flaps was complimentary.
Additionally we added...
1. Fabric seat covers (beige)
2. Chrome plated door handles.
3. Fog lamps.
4. Neck pillows.
5. Wheel caps.
A discount of 5% was offered for the above accessories.

Accessories added in third party shops:

We took the car to Radio warehouse, Anna nagar for the following accessories.

1.Audio system with 4 speakers (BLAUPUNKT).
2.Reverse parking camera.
3.Rear bull bar to avoid the bikers.

Now for the important part: Ownership experience

It's been almost a month and a half with the car and it has clocked 2K kilometers and I'm writing this review just before the car is sent for its first free service.

Exterior looks:
The car from the front looks smaller than it actually is. This is mainly due to the tapering nose. Although the design does help in making sharp turns and close calls I would have personally liked a more SUVish and nicely flared wheel arched design. The View from the side nicely shows off the extra long wheelbase and the massive rear doors. The bulged out tail light stands out. From the rear the deign seems bland except for the chrome stip with the letters engraved L-O-D-G-Y. Overall we as a family are very pleased with the look of the car.
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2111.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2113.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2114.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2115.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2117.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2118.jpg

Interiors:
The interiors are bland. They have a grey and beige mixture and have a lot of rough edges. Even coming from the dzire the interiors seem to be a bit of a let down. Function over form is clearly evident. The stalks seem to be of very high grade but a lot of parts seem cheap. Even the rotary control for the air conditioner seem like a design of the past. Overall interior quality is only average and nothing to brag about.
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2119.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2121.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2129.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2131.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2144.jpg

Space on offer:
On thing the lodgy really stands out is interior space. The front seats offer great support both for back and under thigh. Although the seat could have been placed an inch higher there is more than enough head room even for a 6+ footer like me. The middle row leg room may seem a bit compromised especially compared to other cars in this segment. However clever adjustment of seats will allow maximum comfort. The biggest drawback is the lack of sliding middle row. The third row offers reasonable comfort I sat on the third row for more than 3 hours continuously and my legs did not feel fatigued. I have personally sat and travelled on all 8 seats in the vehicle and I have never felt the need to stretch for at least 3 to 4 hours. Leg room shown is behind my own driving position. (I'm 6.2)
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2133.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2134.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2135.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2136.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2137.jpg

Air conditioner:
The lodgy AC does a very good job in cooling the cabin. The rear AC vents have their own compressor and it is not just a blower. It has a total of 8 vents. 4 for the first row and 2 each for row 2 and 3. It is advisable to turn on the rear AC even in the absence of rear passengers as it helps to cool the car much faster. All vents can be shut individually but some amount of air does escape. Air flow from all vents can also be directed to the direction required. Overall the AC is quiet a chiller.

My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2145.jpg

Engine & gearbox:
The K9K engine in the 83 ps guise is quite a performer. It pulls cleanly from low revs. Turbo lag is almost in existent. It is not the most refined of engines especially compared to the likes of the hyundai CRDI's. But NVH levels inside the cabin are kept under good control. The engine offers very good performance and if you are in turbo zone it pulls much faster than you would expect. The weight of the car is masked very well by the engine. To drive over a speed breaker in second gear a little bit of clutch slipping might be necessary. The gear box is also very good. It may not be as perfectly slotting as the swifts but it is also not rubbery. The gear box would be enough to satisfy almost all buyers.

Braking:
The brakes offer really good bite. It does take some time getting used to but it reduces even highway speeds at ease. So far twice on the NH my dad had to slam the brakes due to bikers suddenly switching lanes and the car stopped without any drama. Very very impressive are the brakes.

Steering and handling:
When behind the wheel you just done feel you are driving a big car. Driving is so car like. The steering is a gem and it offers really good feel and feedback. Even at high speeds the car does not feel nervous. At low speeds the steering in nice and light. Curves can be taken at triple digit speeds and body roll is very well controlled.

Suspension:
The ride quality at both low and high speeds is just fantastic. In fact this is the best riding 8 seater in the market according to me. The innova does not stand a chance to match the suspension of the lodgy.

Tyres:
The apollo alnac 4gs offer impressive grip at high speed and stopping distances are very good. Tyre noise is a minimum although I don't know if it is because of the car or the tyres. An tyre upgrade will not be necessary.

Headlights:
The head lights do a very good job of illuminating the road ahead. Even at night in the highways there was absolutely no trouble whatsoever. The levelling of head lights seem to use the old school thread technology as opposed to motorised adjustment of new cars. An headlight upgrade would not be necessary. First pic shows low beam, second high beam and third to show the wide and powerful throw of the able head lights.
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2126.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2127.jpg
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2128.jpg

The pedals:
The pedals are well spaced out and the clutch is not overly raised like the swift. The clutch is also light especially by diesel standards. Though there is no dead pedal to place your left foot there is some room to rest it for the long drives this car is really made for.

Ground clearance:
The GC is sufficient even for a full load of 8 passengers(all adults) and luggage. The car did not scrape its chassis even on the big pot holes or the huge speed breakers. However the rear mud flaps were brushing against the road so me and my dad removed it and it solved the scrapping problem.

Fuel efficiency:
In the city with good spirited driving it offers 13 odd KMPL and out on the highway it offers 17 KMPL with AC on at all times. I'm hoping it will improve after the first service. Tank capacity is a massive 50 litters and it offers a touring range of at least 800 kilometers.

Key likes about the car:
1. Space, it has acres of it.
2. Comfort, all 8 passengers can travel in reasonable comfort.
3. Ride quality, handling and braking.
4. Very tractable engine.
5. NVH levels in check.
Things that could have been better:
1. Interiors could have been made more upmarket.
2. Doors cannot be prevented to open from inside i.e they cannot be locked.(do not understand why!)
3. Sliding middle row of seats.
4. Missing head rests for the centre passengers.
5. Cost cutting evident in many areas. (using gel to cover weld joints)
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2120.jpg

On the whole we are very satisfied with our buy and we hope to munch many miles with the car. Happy motoring fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you for your patient reading. Your advise and comments will be sincerely appreciated.

And some advice required from fellow BHPians the rear view view mirror mounted display for the reversing camera vibrates a lot, kindly suggest a remedy for it. Thanking you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2141.jpg  

My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2142.jpg  

My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE-img_2149.jpg  

Last edited by just_in : 6th February 2016 at 17:43.
just_in is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 11:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Dad's Renault Lodgy 85 PS RXE

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th February 2016, 11:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase and thanks for sharing. Not many Lodgy reports around. Did not know that you could get the Lodgy for under 10L OTR.

Just looked up some specs and came to know that you need this variant to get ABS (2nd Variant), the 3rd variant- RxL to get a Driver Airbag and need to get to the 4th variant-RxZ to get Dual Airbags. With most other manufacturers making ABS and Airbags standard or at least an option on all variants, disappointing to see that one needs to get the top variant of the Lodgy to get safety features. Something Renault should take note of and rectify.

Wish you and your family many happy miles of ownership.
Old 8th February 2016, 17:12   #4
BHPian

Many congratulations on your new Renault Lodgy. I am sure you will not be disappointed by cars performance and efficiency. I have been using this car for quite sometime and have 110PS RxL version and super happy with it.
Have driven close 5K kms on highways only and it is extremely comfortable and has great power.
Enjoy your ride and congratulations again.
Old 8th February 2016, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and your MPV looks cool in that colour, especially, the pic with the cabin lamps turned on. Glad to hear you're enjoying your ride. I got mine from the same dealership and my time with the Lodgy has been awesome. Close to 17000 kms now, it's only getting better. Good to hear you report on the 85 PS version. The engine is an absolute delight, more so on the highway. Wishing you many more miles!
Old 9th February 2016, 15:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying the all rounder called Lodgy

Surely the k9k motor is a sweet mill and has done duties in many vehicles till now. Many users vouch for its reliability even after running over 3 lakh kms as some of the Logans and Veritos have done with their 85PS mills. Happy motoring ahead and keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Good to hear you report on the 85 PS version. The engine is an absolute delight, more so on the highway. Wishing you many more miles!
All this while had the impression that Lodgy comes with only the lower tune but good to know that it comes with both the power options. 110 must be real good hauler! Kudos!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 17:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the purchase and thanks for sharing. Not many Lodgy reports around. Did not know that you could get the Lodgy for under 10L OTR.
Thank you very much! Very generous discounts are being offered on all Renault cars.
Old 9th February 2016, 17:26   #8
BHPian

An ownership review for a first post!
Wow, good beginning Just In!!

Congratulations on the new Lodgy; it should suit your requirements perfectly.
Old 9th February 2016, 17:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations on your new Renault Lodgy. I am sure you will not be disappointed by cars performance and efficiency.
Thank you very much! YES!! I'm in love with the performance and power on tap! I soon plan on making a road trip to Kolli hills. Will post a travelogue soon

Quote:
Congratulations and your MPV looks cool in that colour, especially, the pic with the cabin lamps turned on. Glad to hear you're enjoying your ride.
Thank you very much! Credit goes to dad for choosing the color and giving the idea to turn on cabin lights and take a pic! Since you got your from the same dealership, how good do u think is the servicing ?

Quote:
Congrats on buying the all rounder called Lodgy
Thank you very much! And yes i hope to much many miles with this awesome K9K motor!

Mod Note: Please use multi-quote for the same.

Last edited by ampere : 9th February 2016 at 17:37. Reason: Back to back posts merged
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
All this while had the impression that Lodgy comes with only the lower tune but good to know that it comes with both the power options. 110 must be real good hauler! Kudos!
Yes, it is, indeed. Mild turbo lag in the city but out on the highway, a different ball game altogether. The 6 speeder ensures good cruising speed and mileage.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 18:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
Fuel efficiency:
In the city with good spirited driving it offers 13 odd KMPL and out on the highway it offers 17 KMPL with AC on at all times. I'm hoping it will improve after the first service.
Looks like your Lodgy is more than a year old. Can you please update this thread with your experience specially with regard to Fuel Efficiency, Reliability, Any rusting issues, service cost etc. which would be helpful for prospective Lodgy owners like me.
Old 20th February 2017, 10:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Looks like your Lodgy is more than a year old. Can you please update this thread with your experience specially with regard to Fuel Efficiency, Reliability, Any rusting issues, service cost etc. which would be helpful for prospective Lodgy owners like me.
Yes DImPo it's a year and 2 months since we bought her. We've driven her for almost 20K kms. So far no issues whatsoever has popped up with the car. All service people are friendly and knowledgeable and I've had a fantastic services experience with Renault. The 10K service bill was around 3K.

Fuel efficiency: Both me and my dad drive with a heavy right foot so it delivers little over 12 KMPL in the city and on the highway it delivers 15 to 16 KMPL. One major plus I have noticed is that a full load has negligible drop in fuel efficiency.

Lodgy has never let us stranded even once. We have even taken her to the ghats of meghamalai ( worst roads possible) and also Kolli hills and not even once she even emitted the smell of a burning clutch.

So far I would say my experience with Lodgy has been great. She has given us more than what we could ask for from a sub 10 Lakh 7 seater.
I will post a more detailed report after the 20K service which would be done in a couple of weeks.
just_in is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 15:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

What is the latest update on your 85PS RxE Lodgy, after 2.5 years of ownership?

Can you give links to your Travelogues as well here?
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:14   #14
BHPian

Any latest update on the ownership review. As i am looking for a 8 seater used car and was considering lodgy. Had a Logan diesel for 12 years and it was a rock solid car so i know the capabilities of the engine. if you still own the car do share the latest updates on your experience till now.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks