Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 00:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video Review: 2016 Jaguar XE

Great review. Can i offer some suggestions to make your next set of videos awesome?
Have a couple of minutes standing outside the car while you review it, something similar to Jeremy style before you head out for the drive.

Also we missed your whiteboard this time around.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Great review. Can i offer some suggestions to make your next set of videos awesome?
Have a couple of minutes standing outside the car while you review it, something similar to Jeremy style before you head out for the drive.
Thanks Maddy for your positive comments & your suggestions, well noted

Quote:
Also we missed your whiteboard this time around.
YES, i missed it too, But for sure the classroom session with the white board will reappear in another video for another car in the coming weeks
Old 16th April 2016, 17:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Superb review Karan. Really enjoyed watching it

Your review is super detailed as far as the "driving" part goes and you've mentioned things like weight distribution, power steering effect (= reduced CO2 emissions) etc. which only a well-informed enthusiast would speak about. The video presentation will help many potential XE buyers with their selection process.

I'd like to add to what maddy42 mentioned for your upcoming reviews - do dedicate a minute of your video showing / commenting on the exteriors and interiors of the car. Also, you've covered aspects like the boot space, cramped rear seat etc. in the presentation but try showing these things while you speak. It really helps viewers understand better.

Lastly, at the start of your video before driving off, I see that you manually disengaged the electronic handbrake. Why is that? Doesn't the car move if you press the accelerator when the handbrake is engaged?

Looking forward to your new "sedan" review soon.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 20:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

What a phenomenal video review. Hats off - probably beats most of the auto channel's reviews. Only suggestion would be that you could have sat in the rear behind your own driving position to give a better feel for rear space.

The car itself seems good. Only issue is Jaguar's abysmal sales and service in India -someone I know tried several times to get a test drive on a Range Rover before settling for a GL instead.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 22:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Superb review Karan. Really enjoyed watching it

Your review is super detailed as far as the "driving" part goes and you've mentioned things like weight distribution, power steering effect (= reduced CO2 emissions) etc. which only a well-informed enthusiast would speak about. The video presentation will help many potential XE buyers with their selection process.

I'd like to add to what maddy42 mentioned for your upcoming reviews - do dedicate a minute of your video showing / commenting on the exteriors and interiors of the car. Also, you've covered aspects like the boot space, cramped rear seat etc. in the presentation but try showing these things while you speak. It really helps viewers understand better.
Thank You S2 for the appreciation and your suggestions.

Quote:
Lastly, at the start of your video before driving off, I see that you manually disengaged the electronic handbrake. Why is that? Doesn't the car move if you press the accelerator when the handbrake is engaged?
Good catch, Yes the electric parking brake has auto drive away release function. But in the video i just forgot about that. May be i prefer the old school one so i wanted to manually do it

Quote:
Looking forward to your new "sedan" review soon.
Oh man, i don't even know wether the car is made or not yet, But I'm hopeful that il get the latest update by next week. But a review will duly follow soon after the delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
What a phenomenal video review. Hats off - probably beats most of the auto channel's reviews. Only suggestion would be that you could have sat in the rear behind your own driving position to give a better feel for rear space.

The car itself seems good. Only issue is Jaguar's abysmal sales and service in India -someone I know tried several times to get a test drive on a Range Rover before settling for a GL instead.
Thanks Hayek for your motivating comments

Jaguar bad with sales ? Thats new, i only thought their service was a gamble. But still your acquaintance bought a real brute of an SUV, the GL is something else i had it for a week in LA (it was the GL 450 - V8), a proper 7 seater German.

Last edited by karan561 : 16th April 2016 at 23:05.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 19:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While operating paddles the car in manual mode i did not know how to get back to regular D mode, Hence i had to go to S mode and then switch back to D. Whereas in a BMW if you have used the paddles & are not in sport mode (gearbox to the left) the car will automatically come back to D mode after some seconds.
My friend and fellow BHPian Aman just messaged me informing on how to come out of the manual mode in XE.

He said that you need to keep either of the paddles pressed for 3-4 seconds and automatically the manual mode will be disengaged

Now how does Jaguar expect one to figure that out

Last edited by karan561 : 20th April 2016 at 20:05.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great review. I am surprised that the 328i with lower profile tires you found less nimble than the Jag? Put 55 profile rubber on your BMW and you also will start floating in the clouds!!!

BMW usually understate their power numbers and with the lesser weight certainly your 328i will be much faster and way more fun. You said it all when you stated that you would not upgrade to the Jag. Your 328i is also very much fully loaded as compared to the top end Jag XE and it came at a much lower price point.

Also both these models may be somewhat dead in the water. The 328i did not sell much at all being petrol. With its cramped rear seat, I do not see this Jag selling anything much either unless they put in their diesels under the hood. Even then it will be the very bravest (and shortiest) of the Sethjis who will buy this at higher price point as compared to the C200/220d or BMW LCI 320d with the updated suspension.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 23rd April 2016 at 12:45.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 20:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Great review.
Thank You Sandeep

Quote:
BMW usually understate their power numbers and with the lesser weight certainly your 328i will be much faster and way more fun. You said it all when you stated that you would not upgrade to the Jag. Your 328i is also very much fully loaded as compared to the top end Jag XE and it came at a much lower price point.
Yes definitely this will never be an upgrade for me, though i would have seriously considered this if they would have offered XE S 6 cyl (F Type Engine) for India

Quote:
Also both these models may be somewhat dead in the water. The 328i did not sell much at all being petrol. With its cramped rear seat, I do not see this Jag selling anything much either unless they put in their diesels under the hood. Even then it will be the very bravest (and shortiest) of the Sethjis who will buy this at higher price point as compared to the C200/220d or BMW LCI 320d with the updated suspension.
The XE Diesel has already been brought down for homologation, but i still think the launch is still sometime away. Lets wait & watch how is the market response for this Jag, but you are definitely correct this is not the car to be chauffeur driven in.
Old 27th April 2016, 16:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
My friend and fellow BHPian Aman just messaged me informing on how to come out of the manual mode in XE.

He said that you need to keep either of the paddles pressed for 3-4 seconds and automatically the manual mode will be disengaged

Now how does Jaguar expect one to figure that out
Well, it isn't something one would know directly. So the only way to know is read the manual (no, I didn't read it ). It works the same way in some other cars too though.

Coming to the XE, recently drove it. Amazing is the word for it. Easily the best in segment in terms of driving dynamics and even looks (subjective). The suspension has been set up beautifully and filters most of the undulations. At the same time, the handling is damn good too. An excellent combination of comfort and sportiness as per me. Did pretty good speeds on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and those who use it often know how bumpy it is. But couldn't feel anything in the XE.

In the current Indian market, none of its competitors can come close to it in pure driving pleasure. Yes, the interior space isn't the best and the quality of a few buttons here and there is not the best but still, for an enthusiast looking to buy a car in this segment, it is the best choice.

BMW, do something spectacular to the next-generation 3-series to make it rise above the Jag. And Jag, please launch the V6 engined XE in India
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 01:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Well, it isn't something one would know directly. So the only way to know is read the manual (no, I didn't read it ). It works the same way in some other cars too though.

Quote:
In the current Indian market, none of its competitors can come close to it in pure driving pleasure. Yes, the interior space isn't the best and the quality of a few buttons here and there is not the best but still, for an enthusiast looking to buy a car in this segment, it is the best choice.
I still think the 3 series is a better car because it is more of an all rounder specially its rear seat is much more usable and spacious, the features are also amazing (my 328i which is 3 years old has better features than this Jag), also iDrive is better than the Jags touch display. Later in the year when Jag launch the diesel it will not be as good as the current 320d performance wise. Also this 237 hp 25t spec felt slower than my 328i. But what Jag has done with the suspension is truly magical to get that ride quality & the handling in proper balanced sync.

Lets hope this Jag makes the Germans pull up their socks
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 09:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

I still think the 3 series is a better car because it is more of an all rounder specially its rear seat is much more usable and spacious, the features are also amazing (my 328i which is 3 years old has better features than this Jag), also iDrive is better than the Jags touch display. Later in the year when Jag launch the diesel it will not be as good as the current 320d performance wise. Also this 237 hp 25t spec felt slower than my 328i. But what Jag has done with the suspension is truly magical to get that ride quality & the handling in proper balanced sync.

Lets hope this Jag makes the Germans pull up their socks
Like I said, the Jaguar XE is the best in terms of driving experience. Rear seat and features don't really matter in that case. I do love the 360 degree camera it has though. Yes, it is slower than the 328i but the 328i isn't available since a long long time so no comparison. The 320d LCI M-Sport comes at the same price as XE 25t Portfolio so I guess XE makes more sense for an enthusiast currently.

Yes, lets hope Germans try to go one up on Jaguar
amansanc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 14:49   #27
BHPian

Post GST prices for Jaguar XE are super impressive starting at 34.6 lacs ex showroom. Will it compete with 3 series considering the driving impressions on both nearly similar?
Old 13th July 2017, 23:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Post GST prices for Jaguar XE are super impressive starting at 34.6 lacs ex showroom. Will it compete with 3 series considering the driving impressions on both nearly similar?
It was always suppose to compete with the 3 series but was a tad overpriced but thats sorted Post GST. Choosing between an XE and 3er will surely be a tough choice. 320d for acceleration (Jag's 2L diesel is a joke, very loud and not at par its petrol counterpart) and XE for its overall built quality and handling (a couple of notches higher then a 320d in terms of handling)
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 16:12   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have always been worried about the reliability of Jaguars. Saurav Mishra shares details on his 8-month old XE 25t which has already had two failures.

1. Radiator fan (diagnosis time + 4 working days to procure the fan assembly + one working day to replace the same).

2. A/C failure - This matter is ongoing. It was found that there is no gas in the system, so a leak test has to be performed.

3. Abnormal gearbox noise @ about 40 kmph.

That's a lot for a car not even a year old! Saurabh is rightly concerned about what the future holds for his Jaguar.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 16:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

That's a lot for a car not even a year old! Saurabh is rightly concerned about what the future holds for his Jaguar.
Thank you GTO for sharing these details here

I don't even own a premium/luxury car (GT TDI), but I can completely relate to the tantrums by these European/German machines and A.S.S. At times I wonder if its actually the reliability factor actually depends more on the road/environmental conditions in India, or these premium cars are just genuinely bad.

All I can do Saurav Mishra is hope and wish your misery is sorted at the earliest, and you don't regret buying this wonderful machine.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed