Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 19:40   #31
BHPian

Re: My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Amazon just has four reviews and there are no You Tube videos demonstrating the usage. Would you be kind enough to upload some pictures or a video of using the device and what makes it fail safe?
Locked in.

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-lock.png
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 01:27   #32
BHPian

Wow, that's a really simple and clever design. If one is really paranoid, one can perhaps lock all three pedals.

Thank you very much for making this effort. I didn't allow my father to get a pin type gear lock for his Ecosport, I am sure he will love this piece of iron. It'll be a great help if you can post the same pic in your review on Amazon.
Old 6th May 2016, 02:00   #33
BHPian

All three pedals will definitely be overkill.

The pin ones take up a little space on the sides and don't blend in all that well, don't even get me started about the U-type monstrosities that go around the gear lever.

Last edited by harsh79 : 6th May 2016 at 02:15. Reason: punctuation
Old 8th May 2016, 01:04   #34

First of all congratulations for your new car, looks stunning in my opinion!
I am really impressed with the projectors which you've installed, illumination seems really good. How's the light output on darker roads and have you faced any visibility issue on highway drives?
BODHI25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 13:51   #35
BHPian

Thank you.

The output pictures attached were shot in an unlit back-lane. The darker it gets, the light gets better. Only under yellow street lights, it gets a little dim. The output is more than sufficient.

Last edited by harsh79 : 8th May 2016 at 13:52. Reason: add.
Old 8th May 2016, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
one can perhaps lock all three pedals.
Not necessary in a Hyundai. You have to depress the clutch fully to start the vehicle.
Old 9th May 2016, 21:59   #37
BHPian

Mini 0805 Circular Polariser addition DIY

To get rid of dashboard reflections and glare in the video produced by the Mini 0805, I'd been toying with the idea of adding a Circular Polarising Filter to the Mini for a while.

This is my attempt at attaching a CPL to the Mini 0805.

Items required:

24mm CPL - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Highe...339513222.html

2X2mm Neodymium magnets - http://magnets-online.in/product/tin...set-of-50-pcs/

Non-magnetic tweezer - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Multi-purpose...EAAOSwVupTnzLD

Fast setting instant adhesive - Flex Kwik. Available at hardware stores.

Black marker pen.

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl1.png

Steps undertaken to attach a CPL to the Mini 0805

1) Using a non-magnetic tweezer, take one magnet at a time and dip the bottom end in the adhesive, then stick the magnet around the outer rim of the lens, holding firmly with the tweezer for a few seconds.

The result should look like this.

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl2.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl3.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl4.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl5.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl6.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl7.png

2) Use a permanent black marker pen to cover as much chrome plating as possible.

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl8.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl9.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cpl10.png

Going to look for a better way to colour the magnets black.

The CPL rotates smoothly, while the magnets are strong.

I'm satisfied with the end result as there is no vignetting due to the slightly raised filter.

Last edited by harsh79 : 9th May 2016 at 22:11. Reason: typo.
harsh79 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Mini 0805 Circular Polariser addition DIY

The CPL rotates smoothly, while the magnets are strong.

I'm satisfied with the end result as there is no vignetting due to the slightly raised filter.
Thanks for sharing. Good way of using a CPL. Are the magnets strong enough? I mean, hope the CPL doesn't lose grip on undulating roads? I too use a 0805, and was thinking of adding a CPL somehow, this looks good.

Do share some with/without CPL footage also. Do you remove it at night? On the dashcamtalk forum, people who are using CPLs, often complain about darker than usual footage at night.
Old 10th May 2016, 13:50   #39
BHPian

The magnets are quite strong, takes some effort to remove the CPL from the camera, rotation is smooth without any shifting.

The videos do take a hit in the brightness department during night-time but the HID projectors seem to be helping a bit with illuminating the road ahead.
Old 11th May 2016, 23:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1505541

Attachment 1505542

Attachment 1505543

Spray painted the magnets black after masking the surrounding area and lens.

3 coats with an hour between them, looks much better now.

Masked

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cplcol1.png

After first coat

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cplcol2.png

After third coat

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cplcol3.png

Result

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cplcol4.png

My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX-cplcol5.png

Looks a lot better and neater too in person. Nowhere as crude as it comes across in the pictures.

The magnets don't shine anymore, which was taking away from the inconspicuous look of the Mini.

Don't expect the paint to last on top, where it comes in contact with the CPL, as long as it stays on the sides, that's enough.
Old 12th May 2016, 17:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Checked with RR. Dikshit has clarified that, the heating, bubbling or melting issue was prevalent in the older H1 versions due to a 55W ballast, there is no such issue with the 6.0. He also reiterated that there is a 2 year warranty and if anything does happen, it's fully covered by him.

The projectors, frame and the shrouds seem to be fine on a visual inspection from the outside.

Bro, even the 6.0 are not designed for 55w ballast. It will degrade the reflector bowls very fast. Good he gave you warranty, but the damage will be decrease in output rather than visible damage on bowls. Also its not the heat that causes damage, UV does it. I would advice to change it to 35w if you can exchange it. Even TRS doesn't recommend 55w on mini 6.0.
sid93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 16:09   #42
BHPian

I plan on sticking with the 55w for now. If there is any degradation in output, I will opt in for a replacement under warranty and and go for the 35's. A little less than 2 years should be enough time to asses if there is any adverse affect.
Old 16th May 2016, 01:21   #43
BHPian

A few updates

Subwoofer

Was back at Motor Concept to get the sealed subwoofer box replaced with one sporting the connector on the left. Now the sub sits flush with the rear seat, resulting in better sub-bass feel. The damping done earlier is very effective, no panel or plastic vibration in or outside the car. Outside one just hears the muted bass-line.

Car spa

The Active was back at Dazzle for the post six month coating check-up and decontamination session. The car was pressure washed, decontaminated with CarPro Iron X and washed again. Interiors were vacuumed, cleaned and protected with CarPro PERL.

There are some faintly visible water like spots on the bonnet that did not go away with claying or the CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover. As Jaspreet was engaged elsewhere on that day, he's asked me to come by later to get the spots checked. He mentioned that be it residual water or bird dropping spots, they should not adhere to the surface due to the coating and will be taken care of personally on my next visit.

Mini 0805, yes again..

The Mini has been acting up as of late since I connected it to my television via HDMI and pulled it out without turning it off first. Freezes on startup at times and a soft reset is the only option. Gets annoying to set it up all over again with those fiddly buttons.

The first one fried due to a hard-wire kit, this one's not reliable anymore. Just goes to show how susceptible these are to voltage fluctuations. Have tried upgrading to the latest firmware and even Direct USB'd the .elf file but still freezes sometimes.

While mulling over getting the Street Guardian SG9665GC, have ordered a Viofo A118C from Gearbest and a mini USB OBD II hardwire kit from Aliexpress. Hoping that these are a lot more reliable than the Mini and the previous kit. If I end up getting the SG9665GC, the A118C can go on the rear windshield.

Viofo A118C (capacitor version) - http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html
OBD II Hard-wire kit - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...593086091.html

Extremely tempted to get the SG9665GC but with the hard-wire kit and CPL from eBay US, it costs over $300 with shipping. eBay AU is cheaper but the sellers don't ship to India.

Auto dimming IRVM

With the amount of morons driving around with their high beams on and getting stuck in traffic multiple times with lights glaring into the IRVM. I'd been planning on getting an auto dimming IRVM which Hyundai removed from the AVN bearing trim of the Active.

Ordered the C-Link Clearview auto dimming IRVM from Aliexpress. This mirror has received multiple positive reviews by members here.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...307532815.html

Plan to use a fuse tap and hard-wire it to the fuse box.

Bracket for the Active and Elite is the one in all the product pictures and first in the bracket list picture.

The Active is scheduled for its 2nd service on Tuesday, odometer currently reads 9,650 kms.

Will post the first actual service experience, soon.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2016 at 06:26. Reason: As requested
Old 21st May 2016, 04:28   #44
BHPian

Hey guys. Second service done at 9,800 kms.

Engine oil CRDI 5.3 L - 1569/-
Air filter - 316/-
Oil filter - 450/-
Labour - nil

Total cost - 2335/-

Was suggested to get the balancing and alignment done, I refused as there was no need.

AVN firmware was updated, along with the map data, using a SD card.

Did not get the car washed, interiors were vacuumed.

Went straight to Dazzle after the servicing for a pressure wash and interior wipe down, followed by Hyper Dressing for the outer trim and PERL on the inside, sparing the seats on this occasion. A few fresh tar spots were also removed using CarPro Tar-X

The service experience with Elroy this time around was not as satisfactory. My go-to service advisor had cars up to the brim, and the assigned advisor seemed like a new recruit. The service advisor was nowhere to be found once the car reached the bay, being near the car the entire time, I had to ring him on two different occasions to come and get things moving along. The place was a mess with ongoing minor construction near the bays, and the extreme heat did not help the situation.

Haven't driven or used the AVN hands-on much since the service to comment on the improvements, does seem like the menu transitions have been sped up.

As I've bashed the AVN unit enough for its flaws in the initial review, I'll defnitely write a separate post on the AVN after a little testing, looks promising as it did feel a little more alive.

A little off-topic update..

Upgraded to Ultima Waterless Wash Plus from Proklear Waterless Wash, 2 weeks back. You have to use it to believe the difference, the slickness is unparalleled, Jopasu glides with way less effort and dust is not even sticking for the first 2 days. Waterless wash frequency has been cut in half to once a week.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ultima-Waterl.../271949704596?

Also could other Proklear users confirm if they too have minor water-spot type etchings on the bonnet of their cars?
Old 28th May 2016, 02:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:

AVN

Having read user reviews and the era OEM HU hardware & software is stuck in, I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

Variant with the AVN head unit was purely selected based on how it looked over the single DIN one, integrates beautifully and in a seamless manner with the dash and consoles. One of the major contributors to the modern look, bearing a big touchscreen and good quality buttons & knobs. Only if it worked or performed half as good as it looks. Ironic.

Touch works relatively well on the telephony, media and FM radio menus with a little effort, rest is a sad story.

Equaliser and balance menu is a disaster, sometimes taking over 10 presses to register a click. Touch in the GPS navigation menus, map area, type & search area is dismal. Requiring multiple presses & slides to select things and navigate around. Keyboard entry is the worst of all, best of precision also fails in getting the entry right on first attempt.

If patience is one of your virtues, you'll probably manage fine, I've stopped using the navigation part and chosen to forget it's existence.

Bluetooth works well and always connects automatically to my M8 Eye, provided it's on before I enter the car.

Telephony menu is flawed too. Never syncs all names & numbers. Doesn't display name of the caller on some contacts during incoming calls, even though stored as a favourite on head unit.

I've also had the AVN screen randomly not turn on approximately 8-10 times in the past 6 months as reported by others. Turning off the ignition, locking and unlocking the car solves the problem (you don't need to step out of the car).
Quote:

Hey guys. Second service done at 9,800 kms.

AVN firmware was updated, along with the map data, using a SD card.
Quote:
As I've bashed the AVN unit enough for its flaws in the initial review, I'll defnitely write a separate post on the AVN after a little testing, looks promising as it did feel a little more alive.

Glad to report that the AVN's software update has fixed or improved on some of the niggles mentioned initially.

The touch response is greatly improved in the telephony, media and GPS navigation menus. The dragging/sliding feature when using the map is a lot smoother too. Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of room for improvement. Not perfect or as it should ideally be.

The disastrous equaliser/balance menu doesn't show signs of any improvement.

On-screen keyboard entry bears the most drastic improvement, it's responsive and accurate.

Contacts synchronisation, now works flawlessly.

The bug relating to the screen not turning on; hasn't cropped up either since the update.

Also the call history from my phone is getting synchronised every time it connects to the AVN unit. Very convenient.

Good going Hyundai! Hope there are further improvements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks