Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 21:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Likes;

- Engine Gearbox Combination
- Handling (Thanks to the reworked Suspension)
- Features, iDrive (Most user friendly in the segment)
- Service, BSI Package

Dislikes;

- M Sport too expensive
- No Reverse Camera

The video starts off with some history;

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20160708-8.58.56-pm.png

A quick visual comparo of F30 LCI v/s Pre LCI (my 328i);

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20160708-9.05.31-pm.png

An in depth review of the all new B47 Diesel Engine;

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20160708-9.06.14-pm.png

Expansion Joint Test;

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20160708-9.13.39-pm.png

S.W.O.T. Analysis;

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20160708-9.11.22-pm.png

Miscellaneous facts;

- The B47 engine is 2 Kgs lighter than the outgoing N47.
- The F30 LCI has vacuum-operated bypass valves, which allows a higher proportion of uncooled exhaust gas to be fed into the engine while it is warming up.
- Cupholders now have sliding cover.
- A Space saver is being offered but does take up some boot space.
- F30 LCI Chassis is revised too, but not sure what changes.
- The DSC has been updated.
- New Ambient Lighting.
- The headlights have moved further apart to give the LCI a broader look from the front.

A special thanks to BHPian amit who let me shoot his car

Last edited by karan561 : 8th July 2016 at 22:00.
karan561 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Another great effort Karan.
Your videos are getting better and better.

Though I can't afford one now, this 320d is certainly very tempting. Would have loved to learn more about the interiors and the back seat experience. And shots of the boot space with the space savers would have been nice.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 01:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Karan bro, Every car you review i get tempted to go and purchase it the very next day!! Please don't do this, Rather keep it coming one find day i might just take the plunge to get one of the car that you have reviewed i am sure.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Though I am not a fan of sedans (I'm more an SUV guy), your videos are forcing me to give them a try. 520d being a threat was indeed an eyeopener and you were spot on in that. Waiting eagerly for the Maserati review !
Ahmed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Excellent review Karan, just awesome!

You mentioned that the diesel particulate filters store the diesel soot that burns off only at high temperatures and if one drives for short distances not allowing the engine to warm up, it might be troublesome. But I believe that people who buy diesels are the ones who expect high mileages and so IMHO this won't be much of a problem.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 13:36   #6
BHPian

Excellent review and I don't mean it just because of the effort put in. I just got a M-sport F30 LCI and had looked through a lot of reviews. Not a single one (including the BMW spec sheet) mentioned the staggered setup, I came to know about this after a week of ownership. Secondly no one explained why the new engine is more refined (thermal joints). Another point was none of the reviews I saw had the talk about changing to a 5 link form a 3 link suspension (all they said was that suspension is a bit better). Lastly none of them talked about the bearings either.

All those points make this reviews much much better than any out there.
kartavya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Another great effort Karan.
Your videos are getting better and better.

Though I can't afford one now, this 320d is certainly very tempting. Would have loved to learn more about the interiors and the back seat experience. And shots of the boot space with the space savers would have been nice.
Thanks, as there were no changes in the interior dimensions so did not actually include a clip of me sitting at the back.

I'l try to post a picture of the boot, space saver.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Karan bro, Every car you review i get tempted to go and purchase it the very next day!! Please don't do this, Rather keep it coming one find day i might just take the plunge to get one of the car that you have reviewed i am sure.

Thanks Tanveer, i appreciate your positive comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Though I am not a fan of sedans (I'm more an SUV guy), your videos are forcing me to give them a try. 520d being a threat was indeed an eyeopener and you were spot on in that. !
Hey Ahmed,

Yes, its high time you buy a sedan & which is not a Toyota !

Quote:
Waiting eagerly for the Maserati review
^ Oh you Spilled the beans, but yeah soon shall be put up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Excellent review Karan, just awesome!
Thanks Bhargav !

Quote:
You mentioned that the diesel particulate filters store the diesel soot that burns off only at high temperatures and if one drives for short distances not allowing the engine to warm up, it might be troublesome. But I believe that people who buy diesels are the ones who expect high mileages and so IMHO this won't be much of a problem.
Yes i agree, but it was a point which i wanted to mention because in India, most people just buy a BMW for a badge to own and not to drive/enjoy. So indirectly i was saying to drive more often it will help solve the mentioned problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Excellent review and I don't mean it just because of the effort put in. I just got a M-sport F30 LCI and had looked through a lot of reviews. Not a single one (including the BMW spec sheet) mentioned the staggered setup, I came to know about this after a week of ownership. Secondly no one explained why the new engine is more refined (thermal joints). Another point was none of the reviews I saw had the talk about changing to a 5 link form a 3 link suspension (all they said was that suspension is a bit better). Lastly none of them talked about the bearings either.

All those points make this reviews much much better than any out there.
Thank you Kartavya for your appreciation & also congrats for the M-Sport 320d, do share the pics.

Last edited by karan561 : 9th July 2016 at 14:47.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 15:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Thank you Kartavya for your appreciation & also congrats for the M-Sport 320d, do share the pics.
Already put them up on the Official review page
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review once again Karan, i was excited to watch the differences between pre LCI and LCI and you have mentioned the differences beautifully. Good to know that bmw have solved the bouncy rear problem and the LCI comes with redesigned front suspension and retuned rear dampers. Any idea if we can switch to the new retuned rear damper or Bilstein B6 is the way to go? Wonder why do these brands have to go to extreme ends, E90 was unbearably stiff and then F30's rear was more soft than it should be, can't they find a nice balance.

Good tip on the DPF, most people buy a bmw as you say for the badge value and they are driven like babies at 30-40 km/h around town with dpf and egr getting clogged with soot. One thing i have noticed with these germans is that you need to stretch their legs and drive them as they are built to be driven, those who baby around face more issues, find an empty stretch of road, hit the sports mode.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 9th July 2016 at 16:04.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 15:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Brilliant review once again Karan, i was excited to watch the differences between pre LCI and LCI and you have mentioned the differences beautifully. Good to know that bmw have solved the bouncy rear problem and the LCI comes with redesigned front suspension and retuned rear dampers.
Thanks a lot, appreciate your kind words

Quote:
Any idea if we can switch to the new retuned rear damper or Bilstein B6 is the way to go?
I think if you are planning to change then definitely the Bilstein's or KW in the aftermaket would be the better option over a LCI retrofit.

Quote:
One thing i have noticed with these germans is that you need to stretch their legs and drive them as they are built to be driven, those who baby around face more issues, find an empty stretch of road, hit the sports mode.
Well said, exactly my point
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:09   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

You just keep getting better Karan - keep it up and all the best. Now that someone let the "Maserati" out of the bag - am eagerly waiting for it now.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:36   #12
BHPian

What an excellent review!
I loved it to the core. This one tops my list of awesome reviews. It was informative and fun as well, however rain played the spoilsport for the rolling shots and expansion joint test. Keep em comin!
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
You just keep getting better Karan - keep it up and all the best.
Thanks a lot v12 for your inspiring comments.

Quote:
Now that someone let the "Maserati" out of the bag - am eagerly waiting for it now.
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
What an excellent review!
I loved it to the core. This one tops my list of awesome reviews.
Thanks, i appreciate your comments Denzil.
Quote:
It was informative and fun as well, however rain played the spoilsport for the rolling shots and expansion joint test. Keep em comin!
Old 10th July 2016, 22:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review again Karan. Your practical comparisons of the LCI with your F30 were excellent.
I'm considering the 3 series to replace my Superb. I have test driven the GLA,CLA and X1 already but now after discounts the 3 series is approx the same price.
Have you driven the 320i?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Excellent review there, Karan! Covered all the details a prospective buyer may look for! Like I mentioned the other day, 328i was the car which blew me away by its performance and all-rounded package! Although 320i may also feel suffice, the more important question is, will 330i possibly be getting back to India? If yes... great news for enthusiasts!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks