Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2016, 17:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video Review: 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta (The Journey)

Likes;

- Engine
- Interiors
- Finally a Diesel A/T
- Feature Laden
- Stress Free Ownership, Service Experience.

Dislikes;

- No Exclusivity
- No M/T on 2.8L
- Short Service Intervals
- Base Variant GX is too bare bones (Specially the Interiors) even @ 14L Ex-Showroom
- The Crysta is spread over 15 variants & hence can get confusing for the buy decision & also during resale.

The Video Starts of with a 'Journey'

Video Review: 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta (The Journey)-screen-shot-20160925-3.54.30-pm.png

& a discussion on things which have changed & the things which haven't;

Video Review: 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta (The Journey)-screen-shot-20160925-4.03.20-pm.png

Miscellaneous facts;

- Toyota says there are no carryover parts from the older Innova.
- The new GD series engines have high thermal efficiency & powerful performance around the world, including extremely cold areas where air temperatures can fall to -40˚C and altitudes exceeding 4500m above sea level.
- The turbocharger of the all new GD series engine is produced in house by Toyota.
- This new Turbo features a newly developed turbine which improves efficiency, and a new impeller that provides immediate acceleration response and produces maximum torque over a wide spread of RPM.
- The A/T Gearbox is codenamed AC60 & is supplied by AISIN.
- AISIN is the same company which supplied boxes for the all new (FWD) BMW X1 as well as XUV 500. The Innova's AC60 is developed for Light Truck & SUV's (RWD platform)
- The rear brakes are still drum but a size larger.
- The beautiful dashboard is a 1 piece item made from Injection Moulding of Poly Propylene.
- Middle Row legroom has increase by 20mm.
- Accessing 3rd row is now easier.
- Wheelbase remains same as earlier Innova.
Note: In the video at 5:07 i have mitakenly mentioned the torque as 343 NM instead of 360 NM, apologies for that.

Special thanks to dean 5545 for his inputs (being a Innova owner) which helped me compile this video review

Last edited by karan561 : 26th September 2016 at 12:14.
karan561 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 18:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Video Review: 2016 Toyota Innova Crysta (The Journey)

Karan561, this is one of the best video reviews I have ever seen on this forum. The starting is outstanding and the way you have shown transformations from Qualis to Innova and then Innova Crysta in itself speaks about the creativity.

I am one of the proud owner of the Innova Crysta 2.4 MT "Z" variant and I bought in in the first lot itself. This is my first Innova and I am very happy with the car. I had extensively driven the earlier version and every time I got off the driver seat my conviction to buy the new variant grew more and more.

Thanks again for such a wonderful review and I hope that this version of the car would also create a case of bullet proof reliability like its predecessors.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 23:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Karan561, this is one of the best video reviews I have ever seen on this forum. The starting is outstanding and the way you have shown transformations from Qualis to Innova and then Innova Crysta in itself speaks about the creativity.
Thank You mints for the appreciation

Quote:
I am one of the proud owner of the Innova Crysta 2.4 MT "Z" variant and I bought in in the first lot itself. This is my first Innova and I am very happy with the car. I had extensively driven the earlier version and every time I got off the driver seat my conviction to buy the new variant grew more and more.
Good to know that you own a Crysta. The 2.4L makes good sense too as the torque difference between the 2 engines is just 17 NM. And with the M/T it would surely be a joy to drive.

Quote:
Thanks again for such a wonderful review and I hope that this version of the car would also create a case of bullet proof reliability like its predecessors.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 00:02   #4
BHPian

Karan561, Excellent review. All the points you mentioned were so correct. I doubt you left out some points regarding the comparison of suspension of previous innova and the crysta.After extensive driving of old innova and currently owning the Crysta 2.8 AT, i felt the Crysta suspension is too Soft. Moreover the body roll of Crysta is more. So while driving at triple digit speeds, i feel previous generation innova is more capable in doing high speed drives through winding roads. What is your take on the handling aspects of the Crysta?
streetracer_919 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 12:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Test-Drives Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 16:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
Karan561, Excellent review. All the points you mentioned were so correct.
Thank You streetracer for your appreciation

Quote:
I doubt you left out some points regarding the comparison of suspension of previous innova and the crysta.After extensive driving of old innova and currently owning the Crysta 2.8 AT, i felt the Crysta suspension is too Soft. Moreover the body roll of Crysta is more. So while driving at triple digit speeds, i feel previous generation innova is more capable in doing high speed drives through winding roads. What is your take on the handling aspects of the Crysta?
The older Innova with around 100 hp was never capable of doing crazy speeds & hence the suspension seemed in line of what the car was capable of achieving. Where as in Crysta the engine with 40 & 70 % more power comparing to older Innova it is very much capable of reaching high speeds in very short times & likewise not much has changed in the suspension to make the car tackle those kind of speeds hence around winding roads it might feel not as good as earlier Innova.

Body Roll might feel more because of 2 reasons;

1) Weight (130-200 Kgs heavier than older Innova)
2) Crysta is taller than old Innova

Old 26th September 2016, 16:43   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Great review Karan

The Innova Crysta in the "V" and "Z" variants looks like a brilliant package. People complaining about the price should realize that the older Innova when launched went against the D1 segment sedans. So even today the Crysta goes up against most of the D1 segment sedans with a much better package. Expecting this package at 15L is too much. Although Toyota shouldn't increase its price any further.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 21:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seems to be offering deals to upgrade from your old innova to this one. My uncle got quoted 17lacs for his old car which he bought for 18, the cash which goes into this car.

Are you satisfied by the pricing in comparison to what your fortuner costs?

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 22:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Great review Karan
Thank You Asit.

Quote:
People complaining about the price should realize that the older Innova when launched went against the D1 segment sedans. So even today the Crysta goes up against most of the D1 segment sedans with a much better package. Expecting this package at 15L is too much. Although Toyota shouldn't increase its price any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Toyota seems to be offering deals to upgrade from your old innova to this one. My uncle got quoted 17lacs for his old car which he bought for 18, the cash which goes into this car.

Are you satisfied by the pricing in comparison to what your fortuner costs?

Maddy
Hey Maddy,

Just to clarify, this car was only there for a review & i haven't bought the Innova Crysta

But overall i believe the pricing is somehow fair keeping in mind to the what the Crysta offers now compared to the older one. Also when i bought the Fortuner it was cheap (18.xx Ex-Showroom) where as the new one will be atleast 30L Ex-Showroom for the top end 4x4 variant.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th September 2016 at 22:27.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 00:30   #10
BHPian

Great review Karan. I have been a Qualis and Innova user myself. I understand the brand loyalty completely. I have also got the Crysta 2.8 auto and I am satisfied with the vehicle. Innova was a work horse and the Crysta works well along with the added features. Happy driving. Your video was nostalgic as could very well picture myself also in the Qualis and the Innova .
Great Job.
pratiksinhal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 08:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Karan,

Nice video! Informative as always.

It is great that you have changed your looks during qualis/old gen innova episodes. I also noticed that you carefully didn't show any present generation car on the qualis part of the video. Great job mate! Thoroughly enjoyed the intro.

Call me silly, but I did expect you to do a drift and a burnout with the Crysta. It would have been awesome, as in your other videos.

Thanks
Prasanna

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th September 2016 at 08:20.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 08:41   #12
BHPian

Hey
The review turned out to be really good. Too bad I couldn't make it to drive the Qualis, that's what was more interesting than the Crysta !
Keep up the good work and keep 'em coming!
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 11:48   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Where as in Crysta the engine with 40 & 70 % more power comparing to older Innova it is very much capable of reaching high speeds in very short times & likewise not much has changed in the suspension to make the car tackle those kind of speeds hence around winding roads it might feel not as good as earlier Innova.

Body Roll might feel more because of 2 reasons
The suspension tune is different. It doesn't have that low-speed stiffness of the older car. On the other hand, body roll is noticeably more than in the outgoing Innova. The Innova Crysta didn't feel as 'tight' or 'agile' as the earlier Innova did on the Lonavla ghats. Still good for an MPV, but not as impressive as the older Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
People complaining about the price should realize that the older Innova when launched went against the D1 segment sedans. So even today the Crysta goes up against most of the D1 segment sedans with a much better package.
Very interesting way of viewing the price. Thanks for sharing! Learn something new everyday.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 15:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
Great review Karan. I have been a Qualis and Innova user myself. I understand the brand loyalty completely. I have also got the Crysta 2.8 auto and I am satisfied with the vehicle. Innova was a work horse and the Crysta works well along with the added features. Happy driving. Your video was nostalgic as could very well picture myself also in the Qualis and the Innova .
Great Job.
Thanks pratiksinhal for your appreciation.

Well yes the intro was more of a tribute & dedicated to Innova owners like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hey Karan,

Nice video! Informative as always.
Thanks Prasanna.

Quote:
It is great that you have changed your looks during qualis/old gen innova episodes.
Yes a lot of planning was involved in the looks, could have had more (considering the time jumps) but stuck to 1 look / car.

Quote:
I also noticed that you carefully didn't show any present generation car on the qualis part of the video. Great job mate! Thoroughly enjoyed the intro.
Yes, some retakes & cuts were involved there, also during rolling you will notice only a Santro around.

Quote:
Call me silly, but I did expect you to do a drift and a burnout with the Crysta. It would have been awesome, as in your other videos.
Well, sorry to let you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey
The review turned out to be really good. Too bad I couldn't make it to drive the Qualis, that's what was more interesting than the Crysta !
Keep up the good work and keep 'em coming!
Hey Denzil Thanks !

Yes you did miss the Qualis experience, it was so much fun to drive such a raw car & that NA Diesel engine still felt strong.

Note: This had a power steering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The suspension tune is different. It doesn't have that low-speed stiffness of the older car. On the other hand, body roll is noticeably more than in the outgoing Innova. The Innova Crysta didn't feel as 'tight' or 'agile' as the earlier Innova did on the Lonavla ghats. Still good for an MPV, but not as impressive as the older Innova.
Thank You for your inputs

Last edited by karan561 : 27th September 2016 at 15:50.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:21   #15
BHPian

The only gripe I've with Innova is no bench seats in the Petrol V & Z variants. If Innova gives that option, I would not have any hesitation buying it !!
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks