Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:24   #16
BHPian

re: White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
I am considering the Polo GT TSI as my self driving second car option. A sporty self driven automatic hatch is what I am looking for. Could you share your updated ownership experience?
A sporty self driven automatic hatch - look no further than the GT TSI. As long as you can live with not so great mileage (when driven enthusiastically) and limited back seat space (which this being a second car, I don't think it will bother you much).

Ownership wise, I have covered everything so far. Nothing much has happened after that. The car is doing well. Has done 4.1k km so far.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Hi guys,

Excited to share a major upgrade. An upgrade I always wanted, even before I got the car.

She is now CODE6 Tuned!! She is freer, and wilder.

I had been vacillating a remap for a long time. But being in Chennai, it needs a lot of planning. One needs to wait for a remap day or drive to other states. Some family situations prevented me from going as long as Bangalore.

So I pinged Sirius Motorsports one night expressing interest to get a remap. He confirmed that it will be from code6. Parallely I messaged Sajan and Raahul that I am in talks with Sirius regarding a remap. Guess what! Tadu and Raahul said they might actually come down to Chennai soon.
This was just what the doctor ordered!

So I waited for the dates. Within a week, Sajeeth from Sirius pinged me saying a Dyno and Remap Day was planned that weekend and that Sajan is coming down. Cross checked with Sajan and he confirmed as well!

That weekend I reached the Sirius Dyno Centre in the afternoon. I was trembling with excitement yet trying to relax myself. Within a few minutes I heard the royal rumble of another powerful car which was anything but stock. It was Sajan and Sajeeth in the famous Skoda Laura.

As soon as they got out, the ever inquisitive Tadu checked out my car and it's hand controls for accelerator and brakes and we chatted about it.

He was immediately in business. He recommended the mechanics to check my air filter and de restrict the front of my air intake and plug the other holes.

Then we attempted a stock Dyno but it had some device driver issues so we were debugging it. Just then Tadu came and uttered those magic words, "Let's do some mapping" and got the reading of my stock map in 3 minutes. Flashed the new remap in another 3 minutes! And it was done !!

I could not wait to try it out! By then the air intake was fixed, so was the Dyno software.

We started Dyno-ing the car. The sound of my car going flat out in the huge hangar was intimidating as well as gave me goose bumps. The DSG kept shifting down or up so full throttle Dyno was almost impossible.

Then I was asked to do a test drive. I immediately noticed a change in the sound character of my engine. I started out slowly to get to know the map. The DSG shifted like crazy. There was so much torque, the DSG was in n+1 gear as compared to stock most of the time.

Then I shifted to S and floored it! Let's say I was left with more respect for this 1.2 TSI engine after that. The growl was ferocious, the acceleration was more raw, the ESP was flashing even in 3rd gear, torque steer was evident. I loved it! The Yoko S Drive 195/55/15 was barely able to contain the fury.

Had one more run with Sajeeth! Even he reckoned it was a very aggressive tune. Still it maintained the linear characteristics of the TSI Engine.

I mentioned to Tadu that this might as well be the first performance tuned retrofitted "Invalid carriage" car. Even he said yes come to think of it might be true. He even said I am the reason he actually he materialized plan of coming down to Chennai this weekend!

By then riyaz_cobra arrived with Biriyany and it was a perfect way to send off. Thanked Tadu and Sajeeth and left.

To add icing to the cake, the return route involved driving on the Chennai Outer Ring Road, one of the few express ways here. The car was easily hitting ton like it was doing 80.

The lag between 80 to 100 is completely gone. 80 to 100 is very eager. Generally it reaches 20 kph extra in the same effort/time as opposed to stock! Let's say it reaches mouth watering highway speeds much easier.

Will let you know further updates after adding a BMC filter.

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20170814_000244.jpg

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20170805_185522.jpg

Last edited by rageshgr : 14th August 2017 at 11:23.
rageshgr is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 08:49   #18
BHPian

Hey Rageshgr,
Good to hear the remap went well. Do you have a rough idea of what the new power and torque figures might be? One would assume this voids warranty, no?
Also, what is a code6 remap priced at?

Last edited by DeKay : 15th August 2017 at 08:50.
DeKay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 17:56   #19
BHPian

Re: White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hey Rageshgr,
Good to hear the remap went well. Do you have a rough idea of what the new power and torque figures might be? One would assume this voids warranty, no?

Thanks.

Due to the DSG it kept shifting down and up-shifting could n't get proper figures. Could not go beyond 60-70% throttle. With that, it had around 110 BHP and 190 Nm. Have to try once again with full throttle if its possible. We reckon it to be around 125-130 BHP/210-215 Nm at crank.

Technically Yes it might void warranty. Depends what kind of warranty you claim and whether they check for remaps etc.

Cost 20k, then again depends on the kind of car and prevaliing discounts.

Last edited by rageshgr : 16th August 2017 at 18:02.
Old 19th August 2017, 11:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rageshgr,
Update. Got the benchmark Dyno results when they tested the map. It is 137 BHP and 210 Nm !! Boy am I thrilled
Old 19th August 2017, 14:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Update. Got the benchmark Dyno results when they tested the map. It is 137 BHP and 210 Nm !! Boy am I thrilled
Wow, that sounds excellent!
I'm intrigued. Especially because you mentioned the car now settles at a higher gear than stock. It's a pain to drive it in stop and go traffic on uneven roads because the gearbox feels really fidgety sometimes.
Would you say that after this remap, the gearbox feels much more relaxed?

Also, is a 0-100 time coming soon or what? :P
Old 19th August 2017, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that sounds excellent!
I'm intrigued. Especially because you mentioned the car now settles at a higher gear than stock. It's a pain to drive it in stop and go traffic on uneven roads because the gearbox feels really fidgety sometimes.
Would you say that after this remap, the gearbox feels much more relaxed?

Also, is a 0-100 time coming soon or what? :P
Well the the cog swap has certainly reduced a bit. Since there is extra torque. Sometimes it does not need to kick down when the stock used to kick down. But in stop go traffic it still swaps between 1 and 2 because at those speeds, the turbo has not spooled. But still it is a bit better than stock.

In stop go, if it's very slow say 5 kph. You better leave it in M 1.

0-100 yes I really want to do one. Will try soon. Especially after changing to BMC Air filter, it seems to have a bit more grunt. unfortunately I didn't do a stock run. Still we will get an idea.

Last edited by rageshgr : 19th August 2017 at 17:59.
Old 19th August 2017, 18:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got the benchmark Dyno results when they tested the map. It is 137 BHP and 210 Nm !!
Quote:
unfortunately I didn't do a stock run. Still we will get an idea.
Are the dyno figures at crank or wheels? Also which dyno facility was used for the run post remap?
Old 4th July 2018, 11:25   #24
BHPian

VW decided to skimp on the leather wrapped handbrake.

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20180704_103129.jpg

So I added it. Carrying on the Red & Black interior theme

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20180704_103908.jpg

Source: AliExpress

Last edited by rageshgr : 4th July 2018 at 11:27.
rageshgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 16:19   #25
BHPian

LED Headlight bulb upgrade

I changed the low-beams on my VW Polo GT TSI to LED bulbs. Polo's low beams were really inadequate even in lit city streets. Sometimes I could hardly tell if my low-beams were on or off.

These were the requirements for the bulb
1. H7 (Note: If your Polo is 6R - pre-2014 facelift, then it will be H4)
2. Preferably from a reputed brand
3. 4300K. As anything above 5500K does not add any usable visible light. And I thought 4300k would be much easier on the eyes, all the while being a bit whiter than stock.
4. CSP chips (As they seem to be most conducive to reflectors)
5. 70W per pair
6. Preferably having fans
7. Compact size
8. Budget friendly

After taking help from many friends, zeroed in on the HLXG ones at Alixpress. These are the components I bought:

1. Pair of LED bulbs : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hlxg...335b4c4d19tP61

2. H7 LED adapter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FStu...335b4c4d19tP61

Overall cost is about 2300-2500 rupees. Initially I had n't bought the adapter and I learnt the hard way that the LED bulbs won't fit in the stock retainer.

Installation:

1. Unplug the wiring harness using a fathead screw driver as shown here :

2. Unscrew the Screws 1 and 3 on top of the headlight and yank it forward strongly. It comes out rather violently. Refer the below video :

3. Turn the stock bulb anti clock-wise to remove it from the headlight
4. Remove the stock halogen bulb and the adapter from the wiring connectors.
5. Slide out the H7 holder from the LED bulb.
6. Slide the new adapter on the LED bulbs.
7. Slide in the H7 holder back again on the LED bulb
8. Fix the adapter/bulb combo on to the existing retainer in the headlights and turn clock-wise
9. Re-attach the wiring connectors. Refer the below 2 videos
a.
b.
10. Note: If the lights do not turn on, reverse the polarity between the wiring connectors and the bulb.

Observations:

1. Much brighter. Illuminates the road very well
2. Throw is also much better. Earlier I used to level my headlights at Position 0. Now I have the same effect with position 1.
3. Earlier, in areas where there was no street lighting, I was forced to use high beams even in the city. Now it is a thing of the past.
4. 4300K is a beautiful colour temperature and does not cause strain to the eyes.

The lights. Very compact
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-lights.jpg

Warranty Card
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-warranty.jpg

Wiring harness to remove
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-harness.jpg

Bulb installed in the low beam barrel
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-installed.jpg

Stock beam pattern:
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-stock_pattern.jpg

LED beam pattern. A bit of scatter but it is very good in actual use on the road.
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-led_pattern.jpg

LED Looks from outside
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-external.jpg

LED Throw & Illumination:
Rain
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-rain.jpg

Dry
White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-dry1.jpg

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-dry2.jpg

Lastly thanks to all the friends who guided and helped me with innumerable queries.

Last edited by rageshgr : 5th December 2018 at 16:27.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:32   #26
BHPian

How is the car 1 year post the remap?
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 23:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
How is the car 1 year post the remap?
Hi Krish,
Thanks. Car is doing great. Has done about 12,000 km since remap. The car is robust and enthusiastic as ever in spite of being driven hard. The remap+slight intake mod+BMC filter combo ensures she is very sprightly. Had 2 uneventful regular services since then. The Yoko S drives have done 16,000 km. I think they have 30% life left. The car is chewing up brake pads every 8500 km though .
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 02:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Krish,
Thanks. Car is doing great. Has done about 12,000 km since remap. The car is robust and enthusiastic as ever in spite of being driven hard. The remap+slight intake mod+BMC filter combo ensures she is very sprightly. Had 2 uneventful regular services since then. The Yoko S drives have done 16,000 km. I think they have 30% life left. The car is chewing up brake pads every 8500 km though .
Good to hear that... Seems like the car is eating up brakes and tires a lot more than usual!!!
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 18:17   #29
BHPian

Reached a small milestone today : 20,000 kms. Took 3+ years to achieve this. But it did only 2000 km in Year One, due to various reasons. Which means it did 18,000 km in 2 years. Hoping for many more tantrum-less miles.

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20181214_115750.jpg

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20181214_120045.jpg
Old 4th January 2019, 18:40   #30
BHPian

German Syle Number Plates

The number plates I had (installed it outside) was always an eye sore. It looked vanilla. So I ordered German style plates from orbiz.in. I ordered it along with the frame so I need not have to drill holes. So it was a DIY.

Initially I messed up my Reg.No in my order and realised it only after it was delivered. Their support team was kind of enough to support the re-order of the corrected plates with a good discount. They are well made and have a nice reflective effect.

Before:

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20181003_201008.jpg

After:

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20181229_174237.jpg

White Lightning - VW Polo GT TSI. Now Code 6 tuned!-img_20181229_174257.jpg

Last edited by rageshgr : 4th January 2019 at 18:42.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks