Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 15:46   #16
BHPian

Re: My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report

Congrats for your new possession. Indeed its a great car to own (not to resell). Mine is 110K and 6.5 years old and going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
[u][b]Punto's gear shifts are more involving and connected whereas i20's lever lacks that feel. Please note, this is my personal preference and I might sound alien here.
It may have longer throw, but once you get used to, you can shift it pretty fast and precisely, I felt. Yes, you sound an alien here and I am from your planet too.

One peculiar thing I see with the Fiats is that there are a lot of issues that you get used to over time. Many of these you start liking later - gear shifts, heavier than normal steering, seating, steering feedback (Yes, I know people who get irritated by the feedback) etc. When you drive a Fiat for the very first time, most likely you are going to dislike it, but as you put on kms, you start liking it. This is precisely why we see a lot of negative feedback from many especially on the seating ergonomics. We did two non-stop Kerala-Hyderabad-Kerala trips when our car was close to a lakh Km on the ODO and it was very comfortable.

Last edited by devansn : 21st November 2016 at 15:50.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 16:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the awesome car! We have similar car albeit mine is a petrol one. I would like to know if the rear left power window issue has reoccurred or not. Even my car's rear left window opens and closes with lesser speed compared to the other three.

You have rightly mentioned all the positives of Punto and may you have many thousands of kilometres with her.

I've also thought similarly - "it is meant to be driven, always" and hence have decided to undertake one trip a month with her.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 17:13   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car! She is a beauty and a keeper for sure.

I loved reading the report and it's cars like these that stir the passion in enthusiasts like us.

Our first car was a Fiat and the best thing about the current crop of their cars is the fantastic build quality. Hope to own a Fiat again sometime soon in the future.

Meanwhile, wish you good luck with the ownership and wonderful drives ahead.

Cheers,
Trek
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 19:30   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the Italian beauty! Wish you many Happy miles

It seems like Jay Vijay Fiat has shut shop. The one near Corporation. I passed by it everyday and it felt so sad to see those Fiat cars in there, completely neglected. There never used to be any customers.
So, is there any other service centre in Pune ?
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 19:42   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Bro! I can totally relate seeing your pictures and explanation of the car. June last year 2015 I took my Punto 90hp and it is clocking 29K Kms inching close to the 30K kms mark ready for the second service.

Since I was too lazy or travelling too much as you can see the kms munched in less than 1.5 years, I could never write or explain how good or bad it was with my Punto. Overall it has been great!

Some issues I faced:
1. Left pull - which was rectified in the first 5K kms service
2. Vibration noises from door pad - rectified during 15k service
3. Some weird lag/jerking in 3rd gear very randomly

I have been rotating my wheels every 5K kms and they have an even pattern, looks good for atleast 5-6K Kms I hope.

Some additions:
Got Leather seats done
Some abarth inspired wrapping. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-1.jpg  

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-2.jpg  

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-3.jpg  

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-4.jpg  

Rover2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:39   #21
BHPian

Excellent Review Moto_Hill. I loved the way you put your thoughts in words and you actually echoed a lot of my own thoughts. I had a large internal heart versus mind battle as well and have finally gone ahead and booked the Punto Pure 75hp in red. I will be taking delivery this Saturday. I hope the car serves you well
Attached Thumbnails
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img20161120wa0001.jpg  

rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Thanks you guys for reading !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Over the months, the EVO design has actually kinda grown on me and the 90HP version really looks awesome in flesh, especially under the White/Red Shade.
The facelift of GP had big shoes to fill in looks department, and it did not disappoint. Punto is undoubtedly one of the most simple yet gorgeously designed car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Congrats for the ownership of the beast.! You are reminding me again about the features I lost in the Punto I'm going to own. As I'm going to acquire one in a month time, crying loud for all black interiors.
Congrats mate !! Are you getting the limited version Punto Karbon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
However, I avoided buying it for the same reasons you have cited - poor service availability (Tata Motor Service Centres were really bad.) and spare parts availability.
One of the top reasons why Maruti and Hyundai enjoy major chunk of car market moolah. They have work hard and made/make right moves unlike Fiat. Though Fiat hasn't done much to launch new products or increase service network, they have worked on various issues and niggles reported by users. Current Fiat cars are more reliable. As for FASC, one is coming near my residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I never felt the aircon to be under performing, its quite chillier and that's endorsed by my car poolers too that too in April May summer.
I agree with you sir, AC is not an under performer by any stretch of imagination. What I meant was that it's not a bone chiller (which I personally wouldn't prefer)

Quote:
How did you or your family react to the too much chrome on the car? Did you at any time face the famous Fiat Pulling to left syndrome? If you want to overcome the dead pedal unusability issue, suggest to stick a green mat on the existing support, I personally haven't done it but have seen and driven Punto's which have that modification.
Family just love the chrome work, specially the tail lights one. They don't let me give chrome the carbon fiber treatment, which IMO, will give punto a killer look. Touch wood, I haven't faced left pulling issue. Mild left pulling is normal and obvious in any car on our roads, which are tapered a bit to the left. Dead pedal is a convenience now, I will check the mat to make it more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
If I can sacrifice a couple of digits on the FE readout and I get such a solid product, I'm game. Sadly, not many are.
Few days back, I was parking my car in front of a govt office. An officer in his 50s came and asked.
Is this a new model by Fiat ? (He got confused seeing the badges)
No sir, it's punto evo, I replied.
Man: Why does this return lesser FE compared to Swift, if they share same engine?
Me: it's heavier than swift.
Man: I am unable to decide between punto and swift. What do you suggest?
Me: Swift is a very good car with excellent after sales.
Man: But Fiat makes great cars and don't market them properly. People are stupid to not even consider them. Majority have advised me not to buy punto.
Me: If you like it, go for it. If in doubt, just visit team-bhp.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I would like to know if the rear left power window issue has reoccurred or not.
So far so good, but I am sure the problem will reoccur. The only good thing earlier was that it wasn't getting worst. Will go deep into the problem, once a new FASC comes up near my residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
It seems like Jay Vijay Fiat has shut shop. The one near Corporation. I passed by it everyday and it felt so sad to see those Fiat cars in there, completely neglected. There never used to be any customers.So, is there any other service centre in Pune ?
Yes, Jay Vijay doesn't serve Fiat anymore. Sky Moto in Akurdi (PCMC) is the only option. One is coming up in Wagholi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I had a large internal heart versus mind battle as well and have finally gone ahead and booked the Punto Pure 75hp in red. I will be taking delivery this Saturday.
Congratulations Mate
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Punto Evo home. Its a rare breed out there .

The 90 HP with the updated maps are a lot more easier to drive in the city and as always as bloody good on the highways.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Evo.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:57   #24
h14
BHPian

Hearty congratulations on the evo Moto_Hill! A well compiled ownership log covering all aspects

Just give it another few thousand kilometers (15k mark to be precise) and things such as FE, driveability, engine noise etc will only improve.

My pointers on the no so nice aspects that you have penned down:

Tyre Noise: The Alnac4G are decent tyres and since you mentioned tyre noise, would suggest you to switch to Michelin P3ST for the next change.

Engine Noise: FASS these days are stocking Petronas Syntium, so for the 15k service try to fill Syntium if available there. Its much better and you will enjoy the engine tone with that. Suggesting this option as you are in warranty, post warranty you can go in for any fully synthetic oil in CI grade (Mobil Delvac1 and the likes) which would drive great.

Music: The Evo has a good head unit as you have mentioned, but the speakers are mediocre. So whenever budget permits, just upgrade the speakers and start enjoying the music even more.

Rear windows: Couple of things that remain unchanged since the 1950's in a fiat are the 98pcd wheels and the rear window no going down fully. This was a child safety feature adapted by FIAT and has been in place in all FIAT's. Even my 1960 FIAT 1100 has the same behavior.

Keep updating the thread and wishing you loads of trouble free miles on the 90
h14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo-90 HP - An honest report.

Quote:
The ORVM got gloss and matte black treatment at 3M.
How much did it cost you to get the mirror wrapped? Or is it painted? Didn't you consider Red as an option for the OVRM's? Have seen a few Puntos with Red OVRM's and they stand out in the crowd.
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats mate !! Are you getting the limited version Punto Karbon ?
AFAIK the karbon version is not the top end. I'm following with the sales guy for updates.
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:32   #27
BHPian

Congratulations bro for this awesome acquisition

I read your review and smiled in acknowledgement all the while you have covered everything.
My Punto (aka Lupin) is just a day (7th May) and 3 numbers (5241) older than your Punto (do name him/her buddy)

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_20160508_121513.jpg

Done 11500kms till date and like in your case about 70-80% has been highway. Done 3 road trips, Badami, Hampi and Indore and a few Mumbai, Nashik runs to friends and relatives.

I have absolutely no regret buying this car. It certainly brings a smile every time I crank him up.

Happy motoring.
Aditya2703 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:57   #28
BHPian

Congrats bro on your Punto Evo Sports. I drive the same car, albeit in red color and have driven her around 30k kms in 20 months. We should feel really fortunate that we were able to get the sporty bits that nowadays powertech Puntos lack, like:

1) All black Abarth like interioirs that look sporty and are way easier to maintain.
2) Lower profile tyres that handle really well at the corners and have an awesome ride after 30 km/hr. The Alnac 4Gs are quite noisy but they have decent wet and dry grip as well. The best part is that resist punctures very well. I have just had one puncture (touchwood) till date.
3) Slightly smoked front headlamps.

I have done several long distance trips and have felt that when its fully loaded, that is when you get the best of both worlds: Ride and Handling. The ride becomes more supple as the increased weight makes the suspension a little less stiffer and the handling also becomes better as the car gets lowered.
Even I play the music from Apple music and yes the audio quality is above average even with the stock speakers, though I intend to upgrade the speakers in the future. As of now my 90 HP is remapped and it feels pretty agile even in the lower RPMs. Would be visiting Mumbai for dyno in December. Enjoy your beauty

Last edited by Waspune : 22nd November 2016 at 18:58.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:20   #29
BHPian

Thank you friends, it feels so nice to hear from like minded peoples. Contrary to outside world, in TBHP you still get due applaud for choosing Fiat. Yes, many still ask me, why did I buy Fiat. I smile and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on getting the Punto Evo home. Its a rare breed out there .
Yes sir. Very competitive in segment, yet so rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
My pointers on the no so nice aspects that you have penned down
Many thanks for the pointers. Will keep them in mind. Specially the Engine oil and tyres. Speakers are good enough for my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How much did it cost you to get the mirror wrapped? Or is it painted? Didn't you consider Red as an option for the OVRM's? Have seen a few Puntos with Red OVRM's and they stand out in the crowd.
Wrapped. Gloss black in lower part and matte black in upper part of mirrors. Around 800 bucks. There's also a thin strip of red in sync with red abarth wheel caps. I've seen few with red mirrors and they do look good. Preferred black coz it goes well with smoked headlamps and black front grill, giving car an aggressive front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya2703 View Post
My Punto (aka Lupin) is just a day (7th May) and 3 numbers (5241) older than your Punto (do name him/her buddy)
Watta nice coincidence. Thanks for reminding. How did I forget to mention that in the report. Mario says hello to his elder sibling. What's Lupin's registration date?

Quote:
I have absolutely no regret buying this car. It certainly brings a smile every time I crank him up. Happy motoring.
Can't agree more. Happy motoring to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
We should feel really fortunate that we were able to get the sporty bits that nowadays powertech Puntos lack, like:
Indeed we're fortunate, specially with all black interiors. Poor sales numbers did not justify their continuation.

Quote:
As of now my 90 HP is remapped and it feels pretty agile even in the lower RPMs.
Puntos and Remaps go hand in hand. I was waiting when remap word would crop up.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 23rd November 2016 at 09:26.
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:36   #30
BHPian

We also have a punto 1.3 mjd. The car was bought in July of 2013 and has clocked 85000 on the odo. It's my sons daily school ride and does 125km a day with to and fro and the regular children activities. I can sum up this car and just say, rock solid and totally reliable. Apart from the regular tyre and battery, she has and is still a beautiful car to drive, even though it's totally Driver driven, but no creaks or sounds anywhere inside. It goes to 3m car care every 6 months for an interior clean and gets its service on time. Brilliant product.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks