Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 11:13   #1
BHPian

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report

After 6 months and 10k km, I feel that, Punto is not the car one should buy for occasional drives. "It is meant to be driven, always"
"Punto is not just for commuting, but also for communicating with your driving passion"

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_46261.jpg

Main points of this report:-

- I have promised myself to be as honest as possible and no matter how hard it is, truth be told.

- There won't be tons of pictures.

- This report will focus less on what is already told about punto, so it won't be very detailed.

- Good and Bad times will be covered with equal importance.

Buying a Fiat car is considered a risky affair in India and every person (even the ones with zero auto knowledge) will advice you against it. If you ask the reason, most of the people will remind you of poor sales numbers and weak service network. Sadly, considering the history of Fiat in India, warnings are completely justified.

Thanks to the members who've shared (and still updating) their ownership reports of punto. Such deep information can only be found here. Their reports were of immense help in making informed decision.

Why Fiat and not other, more reliable brands?

I go with the common notion, where there's a risk, there's a reward too. For me, buying other, more reliable brands like Maruti and Hyundai is like investing in FDs, where your principal is safe but rate of return is certain and low. On the other hand, buying a Fiat is like investing in equities, where there's a considerable amount of risk but if handled properly, returns are also handsome. Now, for auto enthusiasts like us, returns here doesn't need an explanation. For not so auto nuts, it has nothing to do with resale value .

The short time which I spent with my uncle's Grande Punto, is also to be blamed for the inclination towards this car. He left his punto for a week with me. It was a 6 year old with 90k mileage. The more I drove it, the more it delighted me. It didn't give any signs of aging and was running as smooth as new. No rattles, no second cranks, solidly poised all the time and design, still turning heads.

Exclusivity: I've a thing for getting non-common things in life. I just love how people discuss about it. Conversations like this:-

Neighbor: Which brand?
Me: HTC
N: Oh, its a nice looking mobile, good choice. Where did you hear about it?
Me: I researched.
N: How much?
Me: 36k.
N: Why you did not buy Samsung then?

Last but not the least, wife just loved the Punto during the TDs. The SA took us to really bad stretch, with potholes of such magnitude that even a SUV would think twice. The grin on my wife's face was priceless.

Did I consider any other car?

Yes, but it was mainly for comparing and negotiating purpose. The other two contenders were, Polo and Figo.

Figo was in and out the same day, due to its light build quality and not so good looks(subjective). I was also not able to TD it, since Ford had instructed dealers to refrain from giving TD (due to Airbags issue, I guess)

Polo was liked by me and the reasons I gave myself to reject it were, low GC, cramped rear leg room, high maintenance cost.

Things I promised myself before buying Fiat Punto

- I'll not get paranoid and won't overthink (This approach has helped me more than anything, give it sometime and things start to make sense). With so many disagreements around, you tend to pick petty issues and worry.

-
Knowing about the negative reactions I might get, I decided to keep my punto buying plans discreet.

- No brand of car is 100% reliable. I'll not regret buying a Fiat at anytime.

- I'll take utmost care of the car, specially the mechanical bits.

Dealer experience, booking and taking delivery

Jay-Vijay motors was the only sales dealer showing in Fiat website for pune. I called them and fixed an appointment. The visit was made in third week of April. The showroom cum service center was wearing a deserted look. I was the only customer they probably had to deal that day. The cassette AC was switched on as I entered (before that they were bearing the heat). Unlike VW dealer, the sales guy was casually dressed and did not possess any marketing skills. I saw the car and did TD of 75 HP, 90 HP was not available for TD. He showed me 90 HP of another customer, which was there for servicing. I generally asked him about the low sales of Fiat, to which he proudly replied. No sir, we've sold around 5 puntos last month, including one 90HP.

On April 22, 2016 (Hanuman jayanti), I booked pearl white (my mother's choice)- 90 HP from Jay-Vijay Fiat. I paid 50k and delivery was confirmed within two days of full and final payment. PDI before making final payment was not possible since they would order car from FCA only after full payment. I took in writing that the car would be on or after Feb-16 manufactured.

Final OTR price came to Rs. 8.60L including following:-

- RTO and Zero dep. insurance
- Paint protection coating
- Underbody coating
- Reverse parking sensors
- Body cover, Boot mat, 2 neck pillows, 2 Cushion pillows, Perfume, Tissue box, Mud flaps, Door sills
- Roof rails

The dealer did not have tie up with my bank (so no online transfers), due to this, loan process and disbursement took sweet 10 days. The final payment was done on 2nd May. Full marks to JV for bringing car the very next day for PDI.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 17:52.
Moto_Hill is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:34   #2
BHPian

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo-90 HP - An honest report.

PDI day, 3rd May:

first glimpse of the car, 16" wheel peeking through

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3359.jpg

The PDI was not very detailed, I checked following:-

- VIN (it was feb manufactured).
- Odo reading (around 50 with "H")
- All lights and power windows.
- Exterior body and paint.
- Engine oil, brake oil, coolant etc.

Few shots of the day (Don't miss the temporary number) I hope she turns out to be as dependable as Mr. Bond

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3360.jpg

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3361.jpg

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3362.jpg

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3363.jpg

The JV staff was helpful all this time. Satisfied with the car, happy me came home. Before leaving JV, I requested GM sales to deliver the car on 8th may (sunday), to which he agreed with a smile. The RTO formalities were completed on 5th may.

Since delivery was to happen on sunday, I ensured that they don't miss out on anything by emailing them a checklist of accessories (promised) and other things to be kept ready. This idea came handy as they'd missed on many things (which I got to confirm later). I also told them to not paste any stickers and hold onto roof rail installation(accessory), as I was unsure how it'd fix. The roof rails were installed three days after delivery.

Delivery day, 8th may:

My mother was not willing to come with us at first, but I somehow convinced her. Around 11 a.m. we reached JV only to get a shock as it was closed. The entrance was chained and locked. My mother starring at me with her big round fury eyes.

Good morning sir, a voice came from behind. I turned and found the smiling SA. Maan, I wanted to hug him tight. He took us inside from back entrance, where I got to know that sunday was their off day, and he along with his GM, came only for our delivery. Full marks to JV.

The AC was switched on once again. I sat with GM sales in his office and completed the formalities. After checking with the documents satisfactorily, I came back and saw mother and wife sipping cold coffee, mom's eyes back to normal mode now. It was time to welcome and bless the new member.

Moto_Hill with his wife

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3394.jpg

My confused little niece. Angel on the beast

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3401.jpg

The Senior most and the Junior most

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3406.jpg

The Odo reading on delivery, yes it was that much hot that day.

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3420.jpg

Swasthik and Om

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3421.jpg

Three ladies (in the background) bearing my passion. Mother to wife: See, that's why I was not coming.

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3422.jpg

Few more shots

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3425.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3426.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3427.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3429.jpg

And the last one of the day, my favorite, Smoked headlamps look gorgeous. All Black interiors gives a feel of tinted glasses.

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3423.jpg

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 18:00.
Moto_Hill is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:55   #3
BHPian

Ride, Comfort, Seating and Handling

I am 5'11" and I find my correct position when seat is completely down. Front visibility is poor, no part of bonnet can be seen, only wipers are in sight. Though I personally don't have any problem, others might find it difficult to adjust initially. On a positive note, this ensures that you maintain safe braking distance.

The side visibility is also hampered with thick A pillars. Before making a slow turn, I try and check the surroundings beforehand, which is impossible once you have steered.

Much has already been said about weird driving position and ergonomics. My observation is, YES and NO,

YES (in short drives), punto is not very ergonomically sorted vehicle. Lack of under thigh support, weird steering position is surely felt every now and then. Sometimes, I feel that driver's seat is tilted slightly to the right. I make some adjustments and it becomes better.

NO (in long trips), For some unknown reasons, all the above shortcomings vanish during long drives. I have done three road trips till now, longest being Pune-Delhi-Garhwal and back (3700 Kms). I was pleasantly surprised to notice (in halfway) that I haven't made any seat/body adjustments. In fact, I feel so comfortable that I can continuously drive for hours like non-stop Rajdhani. This opposite nature was also pointed out by my cousin who is 6'1" and was the second driver on the trip.

The seats of punto deserve special mention here. They are of top quality and designed in a way to make your long trips, comfortable and fatigue-less. By just seeing them, you can tell the superiority they possess, when compared to other cars in segment. I've a mild low back problem, which forces me to take frequent breaks (in scorpio and i20) during long trips. No such problem with punto.

The aircon is not a chiller but does decent job in our climate. The automatic climate control works well. Punto comes with rear AC vents. Except rear vents, air flow can be controlled in all other vents. Rear vent air flow control is sorely missed. The fan is noisy at high speeds, but it cools the car pretty fast and settles at low speeds soon.

Coming to suspensions, they are a bit stiff in slow speeds, with 50% or less occupancy and on bad roads/speed breakers, ride is stiff. Speed up the car and the suspensions eat up the bad patches and small potholes, without bothering the passengers. For rear passenger comfort, I've taken words of my relatives (mostly ladies), they are the best judges of this department. All of them have praised the comfort level without me even asking.

The communicative Hydraulic steering is still the USP of Punto. I wish that I had studied literature to express the feeling through words, even then, I would've not been able to do complete justice. It feels light (not super light) at slow speeds, gains heaviness as you speed and reaches at its best on highway speeds. The superb mechanism is thoughtfully presented in a muscular unit, which is leather wrapped and has thumb contours. It comes with tilt adjustment. The range is very limited though. I always operate in complete downside position. People coming from super light, EPS units might find steering a bit heavy for city traffic.

The Punto-90HP rides on Apollo Alnac 4G, 195/55 R16 tyres. The rubbers look awesome in overall profile of car. Seldom you see a car at this price point which doesn't need a tyre upgrade. The only disappointment is the road noise. On most of our roads, they make quite a sound. Punto comes with front disc and rear drum brakes. The brakes are fabulously responsive. They, together with the tyres inspire confidence at all speeds and terrain, even on hard breaking.

When you combine punto's - Suspension + Steering feedback + Brakes response + Tyres, you get a car with a benchmark for driving dynamics. Handling makes you grin always and tickles enthusiasts' nerve in you. Push it hard in any corner and then come back to push it harder, punto sticks and never loses composure. Body roll takes fun away slightly. It isn't plenty to make you uncomfortable, but certainly not that less either. It is the drawback of increased and more practical ground clearance (185mm). High speed stability is best that I've experienced. I've pushed her up to 160km/hr speed (under controlled environment with barely any traffic and for short duration), punto remains planted at all speeds, even with heavy winds blowing. Though at high speeds (>120km/hr) steering wheel vibrations can be felt and also, engine sound inside is slightly more than my comfortable level.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 18:11.
Moto_Hill is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:35   #4
BHPian

Driving:

During the first 500 kms, I stalled the car some 3 times (one was in really awkward place). Once you stall, you have to ignition off and restart the whole process of cranking. Double crank is not possible. The turbo lag is evident, specially during first 1000 km, post that engine response in low rpm is manageable. The difference in turbo lag with AC on/off is quite noticeable.

Engage the first gear, press the accelerator and the mechanism forces you to upshift immediately due to short gear ratios. Be prepared for a heavy jerk, if you stop accelerating suddenly. Second gear is little better but again for short distance only. First two gears are fine as long as you throttle the car very lightly (or don't throttle at all), like in bumper to bumper traffic. They are also very helpful for engine braking, specially in hill section with lots of downhills. Punto is not for sprinting, it is for marathon. It reaches into real driving mood from third gear (1750 rpm) and tops out at 5500 rpm. Performance wise, punto is best enjoyed in mid range (1750-5500). Once you learn to keep punto in that range, the real fun begins. The turbo starts kicking at 1750/1800 rpm. The surge is not sudden (most of the time) to push you back. Though on some given inputs, the otherwise linear turbo, exhibits sudden surge. What I feel is when I accelerate slowly and let rpm climb, turbo behaves differently. I've to study this more before I can comment any further.

I may be inviting some bash here but I shall still go ahead. I personally don't understand all the fuss about longish and rubbery gear shifts. First, the throws are not too long, second, punto is not designed for a quick 0-100 (otherwise, she would have enrolled in some weight reduction program and have shed many kilos already). I am comparing the rubbery gear shifts with i20's gear shifts here. For me, the feel and slotting sound of punto's rubbery gear shifts is better than i20's tak-tak gear shift. Punto's gear shifts are more involving and connected whereas i20's lever lacks that feel. Please note, this is my personal preference and I might sound alien here. I've taken i20 as an example only because we have i20 in family and I drive it often.

The footwell area is sufficient. My shoe size is 9 (UK). Initially, I was pretty upset with the placement of dead pedal. I was hitting clutch every time I was resting/removing my foot. With time, things came to my comfortable level. Today, even my deliberate efforts to hit C pedal go in vain. I wonder how on earth was the C pedal so obstructive initially.

Footwell area
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4635.jpg

Foot in line with C pedal, above dead pedal.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4636.jpg

Foot resting on dead pedal
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4637.jpg

ICE and MID

The speaker sound quality is decent. The source/quality of songs plays a crucial part here. I mostly play songs via Apple music (HD?) and they are a real delight to ears. FM songs quality is just ok. The phone connects seamlessly via bluetooth (only when car is stationery), I've paired maximum of three phones. The ICE displays the track and play time (can be customized). There are minor bugs, which I've mentioned below (things I didn't like). As default settings, music playback stops as you stop the engine. You have to choose option of continued (up to 20 min) music playback from settings. There's a feature of speed sensing music volume, which once activated, increases volume as car speeds and vice versa.

There are two trip meters in MID (A & B) to work with. They give sufficient information like average fuel consumption, distance to empty (range), average speed, trip mileage etc. The home screen shows - day, date, time, mileage and outside temperature. The MID also displays following:-

1) Door open warning (exact door and boot). If you keep the door open for long, the warning goes off. But there's beep warning, if you drive the car with open door.
2) You can choose to display music track in MID. Good feature for music lovers. All other info will be hidden though.
3) Speed limit exceed warning (can be disabled).

Things I didn't like and issues I've faced till date

- Rolling of the car from standstill is not enjoyable , due to short first gear ratio. Also the slight jerks in first and second gear can be irritating.
-
Rear windows don't roll down completely. Rear passengers always complaint about this.
- Paint quality of fuel lid looks slight different.
- Within two days, the driver's side power window console went loose. Later tightened by dealer.
- Left rear power window has slowed down. It was silicon sprayed by dealer, which lasted only a week. Again same solution was done one month back, working fine till date.
- Rear AC vent came off its lock within a week. Repaired by self.
- Absence of flow control for Rear AC vent.
- Tyre noise.
- The lock/clip of B pillar panel which houses seat belt broke. Replaced at dealership.
- At around 6k km, the AC one day started throwing hot air. I turned it off/on for/after 5 mins. Working fine since then.
- Lack of service centers. I was aware of this situation beforehand, but closing of Jay Vijay, has left only one option in pune.
- Lack of child parts for replacement.
- Minor bugs in ICE. While playing songs through blue tooth, sometimes the music stops for millisecond. On switching to next track, the song won't play and I have to pause and play to resume.
- Dashboard reflection on windshield. (doesn't bother too much and too frequent though, noticed it only 3-4 times till now)
- When windows are down, rear doors make weird clanging sound while shutting. Not so assuring when compared to Thud of front doors.

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 18:17.
Moto_Hill is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:55   #5
BHPian

Things I liked

- VFM car
- Decent power and economy
- Designed beautifully. A head turner, even now.
- A real highway cruiser.
- Best in class ride and handling.
- Solid built quality.
- Stereo sound quality is above average.
- All black interior theme.

Small yet significant things

The above points are well known to many. What I want to highlight here, are the little things, which go unnoticed in short span of time. Usually, manufacturers do cost cutting in smaller things. Thankfully, fiat has not made half hearted effort in that area.

- The wiper/light stalks, steering mounted control buttons etc are solid and feel good to use.
- The vinyl used in dashboard feels top quality.
- The parcel tray is heavy and doesn't rattle on most of the roads. Can take decent weight too.
- The sunvisors quality is one of the best that I've encountered in segment.
- Good amount of felt used for insulation.
- Rain wipers (specially front) are sturdy and have a good swipe area.
- The rear seats come with metal backing of high strength.
- Beading in door as well as body for better insulation.
- Seat belt warning beep post 20 km/hr speed.
- Speed limit exceed beep.(can be set to as low as 30 km/hr)
- Auto central lock post 20 km/hr speed.
- After sales follow up by Fiat. I have received 3 to 4 feedback calls. Once a QC employee from FCA has personally visited (and gifted a Pen drive ) to take feedback. A third party guy also came to check if I'm facing any issues.
- Quality of (free) accessories ( neck rest pillows, cushion pillows, mud flap) is much better than other brands. Compare Punto's foot mat with Figo's and you'll know.

Things I've added/Little Cosmetic Mods done

3M nomad mats (not the superior one). Cost around Rs.4700/- Some pictures of W.I.P.

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4047.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4048.jpg

The ORVM got gloss and matte black treatment at 3M.

W.I.P
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4282.jpg

Post wrap
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4284.jpg

Esseesse badge replaces 90HP. Cost around Rs. 3k/- Sourced from https://www.partsworld-uk.com
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4645.jpg

Abarth wheels caps. Cost around Rs. 2200/- bought from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:L:OU:IN:3160
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4641.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4643.jpg

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 18:22.
Moto_Hill is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 16:48   #6
BHPian

First service(check-up) details
The first service was done at Jay-Vijay with odo reading 4600 km on 30th August (the day I got my Team-BHP membership approved ). Engine oil, coolant and wind washer were topped up. Following issues were reported and rectified.

1) Slowed down left rear power window was silicon sprayed. Problem not repeated.
2) A broken clip/lock of B pillar panel was replaced. Fixed.
3) A squeal sound while slow speed braking was coming from right rear drum brakes. The pads were opened and cleaned. Problem not repeated.

I decided to get wheel rotation (front to rear) done. Interestingly, after tyre rotation, the car started to pull slightly to left. Later the tyres were put back to their factory setting. Left pulling is gone. What may be the reason? I have not done tyre rotation, wheel alignment/balancing yet. Is it advisable to get it done (and how often), even if tyres are wearing out equally and there's no pulling issue ? I am skeptical due to infamous left pulling in puntos, other members have reported and don't want to mess with current state.

I asked A.S.S. to change engine oil but they were reluctant and reminded me of 15k km interval. Why waste money sir ? Car is good to go for next 10k km. I decided not to push them for oil change since Jay vijay was in a mess, gearing up to exit Fiat operations. I was also getting late. At around 5500 km, I ordered Engine oil, Oil filter and Air filter from http://www.99rpm.com/. All company recommended and original FCA products.

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4406.jpg

Oil/Filters change at Bosh service station.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4407.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4405.jpg

Hits taken

No matter how safe you drive, it's next to impossible to keep our cars BEDAAG (dent free).

First incident happened on my way to Airport, a biker (coming from opposite) on a single lane, in the process of overtaking, came in to my lane. I swayed just enough to avoid front hit, his handle bar/brake lever hit my ORVM and the result is in below picture.

Damage was done to turn indicator casing, everything else was working fine.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4054.jpg

Casing doesn't come as a separate part, so whole mirror(except white cover) was changed at A.S.S. A hole of Rs. 2200/- in pocket.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4093.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4092.jpg

Second one is recent and still awaiting repairs. Purely my mistake and laziness, no third party involved. I was too casual and overconfident in my parking.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4627.jpg

I called Sky Moto to check the availability of the part (fog light housing). The part was not in stock and it would take 4 days to arrive, I was told. I checked after 5 days to find that it was still not available. Though the damage is cosmetic and can only be noticed by keen observant, I am not ready to see my beloved ride in this state for too long. This is the love and passion for cars that separates us from rest of the car owners, ain't it? I raised my concern to FCA through email on 17th November and got email response within four hours. After half an hour, FCA customer care called, with Sky Moto in conference, and promised the availability by 19th. On 18th I again received call from FCA confirming arrival of the part at workshop. The treatment is scheduled for tomorrow (20th November)

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4653.png

Long trips done and Mileage

My city driving is limited (20% max), mostly I drive in busy highway and long road trips. In packed city roads, I am getting FE between 14~15. Combined city and highways FE is coming to 16.5 km/ltr. On highways, punto is returning 19 km/ltr.

The longest road trip done - Pune-Delhi-Garhwal and back. As we had to reach delhi on time, we couldn't click many pictures. It was a non-stop journey and boy-o-boy, punto delighted us with her ability to keep crunching miles, without slightest of sweat. Some pics.

Loaded boot
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4408.jpg

Safety first, putting 3M reflective tape.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4409.jpg

Odo reading at start of the trip
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4410.jpg

Odo reading at the end of trip
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4580.jpg

FE figures after first 130 kms.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4421.jpg

FE figures on reaching delhi. The MID figures of FE is pretty accurate, we cross checked with tank-to-tank method and it came almost same.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4444.jpg

Random journey and trip pics
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4424.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4425.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4434.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4435.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4440.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4442.jpg

i20 sharing space with her Saut at our Bagicha in home town.
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4533.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4567.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4571.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4572.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4573.jpg

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 19th November 2016 at 18:29.
Moto_Hill is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 17:45   #7
BHPian

re: My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report

Good bye for now with some random and milestone pics

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3596.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4575.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_4582.jpg

My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3494.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3536.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3537.jpg
My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report-img_3817.jpg
Moto_Hill is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 09:12   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Pearl White Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP - An honest report

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 21st November 2016, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post

After 6 months and 10k km, I feel that, Punto is not the car one should buy for occasional drives. "It is meant to be driven, always"
"Punto is not just for commuting, but also for communicating with your driving passion" [u][b]
Congrats Moto_Hill on your purchase and as the report reads, quite an honest one at that buddy

Frankly, when I saw Punto EVO for the first time, I just hated the facelift design. In fact the pre-facelift had a design element which I felt the EVO had lost.

Over the months, the EVO design has actually kinda grown on me and the 90HP version really looks awesome in flesh, especially under the White/Red Shade.

Wish you a happy motoring and many more mile munching.

Drive Safe.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 21st November 2016 at 09:45.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 10:37   #10
BHPian

Congrats for the ownership of the beast.! You are reminding me again about the features I lost in the Punto I'm going to own. As I'm going to acquire one in a month time, crying loud for all black interiors.

This is seriously genuine and a honest report. I'm getting prepared for the issues you reported and for the fun as well. Thank you for the ownership report, keep munching miles and update the moments here.
EPMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:20   #11
BHPian

Fellow Fiatian here. Own a Linea. I agree with many points you make, reg. the seats, gearbox, steering etc.
Im 5"5', and cannot for the life of me find an ideal seating position. It seems like it a supremely comfortable car for all, but the driver! However, as you said, long drives leave me the least fatigued in Linea vis-a-vis other cars. The back-seat, in the Linea atleast, I feel is best in segment. The Ciaz (less under-thigh support) and City just didn't cut it for me.
The bonnet not being visible shouldn't really bother you alot. And the A-pillars are this obstructive in most cars this segment onwards. It took me some getting used to as well.
The gearbox I feel isn't too bad. My gripe is with the gearing. 1st is next to useless. Our Zen pulls better in 1st (i know its NA et al). You nailed it describing the dead pedal. What used to be so obstructive is so convenient now!

Wish you many happy miles ahead!
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:20   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the Punto. Two of the most beautiful cars are together in the pics with the i20. Both look amazing and I feel like owning both
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Problems with a car are very much hit and miss especially if the JD Power ranking is low. However, whoever drives the car has a key role in its future wellbeing. I had driven the earlier model and found it quite involving to drive. However, I avoided buying it for the same reasons you have cited - poor service availability (Tata Motor Service Centres were really bad.) and spare parts availability. Though if I remember the common spare parts were quite cheap compared to some of the other competitive cars.

Best of luck.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 13:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Moto_Hill,

Take a bow mate. For a moment I thought I was reading Mods Official new car reviews. Hats off for a honest review. Your first post brought all the memories back when I was test driving the Grande Punto, even my wife's grin sealed the deal for me in favour of the GP. Agree with all you have written about the car except for a few. I never felt the aircon to be under performing, its quite chillier and that's endorsed by my car poolers too that too in April May summer.

How did you or your family react to the too much chrome on the car? Did you at any time face the famous Fiat Pulling to left syndrome? If you want to overcome the dead pedal unusability issue, suggest to stick a green mat on the existing support, I personally haven't done it but have seen and driven Punto's which have that modification.

Quote:
When you combine punto's - Suspension + Steering feedback + Brakes response + Tyres, you get a car with a benchmark for driving dynamics.
This statement made my day again.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Wishing you many more (s)miles with the car.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 14:34   #15
BHPian

Congrats Moto_Hill on owning one of the most understated products in the segment.
Small niggles aside (I've not faced any of the issues mentioned by you yet), I feel this car is an example of how cars should be built and how they should perform.
If I can sacrifice a couple of digits on the FE readout and I get such a solid product, I'm game. Sadly, not many are.
But hey, that's the exclusivity I get to enjoy and I love every bit of it!

Completely loved your (honest) report and I echo almost everything you mentioned.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 21st November 2016 at 14:35.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks