Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2016, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo S90

At 53L, Volvo has priced the S90 in the same range as the Merc E class, Audi A6 and the BMW 520d. While the new styling looks reasonably good, it doesn't come across as sporty and more is like the old man in the pack.
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 22:13   #17
BHPian

Brilliant Pricing considering the prices rising insanely. Old school styling but brilliant. Certainly would grab a lot of attention on the road.
Old 5th November 2016, 00:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Here is Mat Watson with the review of the beautiful S90. Let down only by that rear taillights. Mat loves it, but I am with ajmat on this one.

deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 00:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajmat, thank you for the quick review. A beautiful car in all respects and I expect built to quality. I only hope ingress and egress at the rear is comfortable. Look forward to test driving the car later this month. I am told it has a lot in common with the XC90 which I have test driven. Glad they have got rid of the button jumble box on the centre console that the XC60 has. Once Vitamin M permits this would be an attractive buy.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2016 at 10:22. Reason: Typos
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 07:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In case anyone didn't get the specs right on that audio - there are 7 tweeters, 7 mid range drivers, 4 mid bass drivers and one sub woofer - driven through a 12 channel class D amplifier. Absolute drool worthy material.

Attachment 1573545
Considering our traffic, the stereo would be the only thing we would use to the fullest. That makes it a potentail deal maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
. It might not have the go to match its show, but this is still a fine car any which way you look at it.

Maybe I am a 50+ year old, boy racer but on normal Indian roads, I did not feel shortchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

Oh, and what's up with that ugly beige steering?
As I mentioned, the seats were grimy, I think my test car was the first car sent for evaluation (it had manufactur temp plates as opposed to demo plates), I hate to think what the steering wheel will pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
At 53L, Volvo has priced the S90 in the same range as the Merc E class, Audi A6 and the BMW 520d. While the new styling looks reasonably good, it doesn't come across as sporty and more is like the old man in the pack.
Volvo have made it clear that they are not in the "sporty" game. I do not see the BMW as a competitor as it is more driving oriented

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Ajmat, thank you for the quick review. A beautiful car in all respects and I expect built to quality. I only hope ingress and egress at the rear is comfortable. Once Vitamin M permits this would be an attractive buy.
As a potential customer, thank you for the inputs on what you wanted to understand. My thoughts were this car is te ideal upgrade for Superb owners. People who want functional luxury more than outright brand value

Last edited by ajmat : 13th August 2019 at 12:16.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 21:10   #21
BHPian

Another excellent review. Thanks

Radar based functions:
I thought that Indian govt. had released the required spectrum for public use and hence the radars are back on. The initial XC90s had them disabled using software due to the non-availability of the frequency for public use.

The D5, T6 and maybe T8 when launched, will take care of the people with a "Need for speed"

The inside of a Volvo is indeed a nice place to be in. The seats are second to none. Glad that it has continued to be so. I saw some videos with black interiors. Maybe Volvo is catering to our obsession with everything beige. Hopefully soon we will get to choose the interior colour.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 08:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Great looking car and the dash layout is a huge improvement. Apart from the brand appeal and dealer network, it has two disadvantages when compared to the Germans: unfamiliar dash layout (we all are conditioned to prefer the familiar German-ish layouts) and not such a great car to drive.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 17:38   #23
BHPian

Great Review Ajmat. Detailed and with loads of inside information on technical aspects. I liked your comments like the one for Radar "saves but not conquers". Great job!

Another great car from Volvo. And their strategy to have a global model sold in India as well. Makes sense since 'desi'fying is expensive when volumes are low. Their strategy is also very polarised, by not trying to be jack of all trades. Their S90 Excellence with no front passenger seat, says it all.
Driven: Volvo S90-volvos90excellenceinteriorconcept52.jpg

I am also surprised about the Windscreen spray integrated in the Wiper blades. So they have a flexible tube running through it sending high pressure fluid for the spray! Is it a common feature in this segment now?? I know few years ago Mercedes used a similar system in their SL convertible to prevent water sprayed inside the cabin when the roof in down. Amazed!

Video of the Magic vision control for reference,
vivee90 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 15:38   #24
BHPian

Thank you for the review.

It is amazing how much technology gets packed into a car nowadays.
The car does look well kitted out. I liked the folding rear seat -to booster seat conversion, in particular and also the little Swedish flag tags on the seats. Its these small touches that make a difference.
Looks like a sweet offering at this price point and I am sure will have many takers.
Cheerio.
Old 10th November 2016, 21:23   #25
BHPian

The only concern here should be the issues with software.The xc90 has a lot of software issues..The sensus and driver interface is carried over from xc90 and I would assume issues will be there with s90 as well.Volvo is working hard to resolve these issues and have reolved most of them with new updates but there are still a few that they need to sort out.I am one of the lucky few who only had couple of minor issues with software on my xc90 but i know some who has had major issues created by software.
Old 11th November 2016, 11:17   #26
BHPian

The ingress and egress is quite uncomfortable as the car sits very low. However, I think that this is true across the peers it aims to compete against as well.

Overall a Very beautiful car, I loved the thigh support feature and the child booster seat feature. The sound system is amazing.

There are not too many cars that have bought in as yet. All of them are in the same colour as the review. Another shipment is expected soon with some more colour choices.
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Somehow, I have always had a weak spot for Volvo. I believe that they give equal (if not better) quality than the Germans, and definitely more reliability than Germans.

However, a FWD is a disappointment in this segment.
Old 1st December 2016, 17:09   #28
BHPian

This is an impressive car, the interior seems fantastic and the front very dynamic. However, I just don't see it selling when compared to the A6, E and 5; yes the pricing is better, however the engine doesn't seem to cut the mustard.

Why would someone upgrading from a Super/3/C/Octavia/Jetta consider this? The other manufacturers offer equal amounts of luxury with better service networks and an entirely new line up to chose from in the coming months. Buy them in December then the difference in on-road prices blurs quite a bit.

I'd love to see Volvo bring in the D5 line up with AWD and a better state of tune at the D4 pricing and drop the D4 prices somewhat. Then things get interesting!
Old 15th December 2016, 08:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I learn from the M.D. of Volvo India that the S.90 Hybrid plug-in will come to India in Q1 2018.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:44   #30
BHPian

One of the most beautiful cars on the road in my opinion. I've already a couple on the road in Chennai and they look stunning. Not as flashy looking as Mercedes or BMW but similar to Audi's clean and bold lines.

Volvo has really turned a corner with this and the new models coming up. Definitely going to bring about some intense competition in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks