Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 15:20   #76
BHPian

Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Hi Sawnilrules,

Please share further updates on your Octy. i am currently evaluating options and your ownership thread has been of great help.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:30   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi Sawnilrules,

Please share further updates on your Octy. i am currently evaluating options and your ownership thread has been of great help.
Sure thing buddy, do feel free to touch base with me if you need any help in choosing the car.
Old 8th October 2018, 15:19   #78
BHPian

23000 km on the ODO, completing 22 months and planned upgrades

Time absolutely flies. It felt just yesterday when I got the monster home. And its 22 months already. So that means, going by my method of using a car for minimum of 4 and maximum of 5 years, I have already used the car by 40% of its time with me if not more. With 23000 km on board, it could easily warrant me to buy a diesel car and not petrol one. But would diesel connect with my soul the way this one does, or would it be able to plaster a wide smile on my face when I blast down the highways, probably not.

And that’s probably the only reason, why the car is already at 23000 km already. Coz every time I have taken her out on the road, I have hated the idea of parking her back, and you always want more of her. Off-late, owing to the construction of metro work in Mumbai, I have stopped taking her to work. It pains me to put the car in this maddening grill of 3 hours every evening just to cover 21 km. The car now gets used only on weekends that to late nights if we are headed out for a drive or for my once in two months inter-city trips. So how have been these 22 months?
  • First things first, almost 2 years into the ownership and multiple city and highway runs, there is not a single rattle in the car from anywhere. The car is really holding herself up very well. Kudos to the quality of Skoda.
  • The audio quality of the speakers of this car is absolutely amazing. The sound staging is spot-on and unlike canton set-up, tuning the speakers to desired output is fuss free.
  • Apart from the battery trouble, overall the car has been niggle free, however, black is definitely a difficult color to maintain. Maintaining black hasn’t been a niggle free experience. Similarly, the beige on the interiors is too light. I almost end up giving the car once in three months for interiors up-keep. Phew, it’s a tough job to maintain these interiors.
  • Happy to report that, even though the new Octavia is out, people still turn around and look back at the car, can attribute it to the ceramic coat on the car. It shines at all times, in all conditions. Worth the investment I must say.
  • The key battery conked off, got it replaced with the same Panasonic one, two years for a battery to last, not bad at all.
  • Bi-Xenon headlights over the period of time have become dimmer, (atleast I feel so) during my recent trip to goa, I had to switch on the fogs to illuminate the road ahead.
  • Highway efficiency with time has improved. During my last runs on the highways, the car constantly returned 16 kmpl. Not bad for an 180hp/250nm car, which was constantly doing speeds above 120 kmph
  • Goodyear NCT’s have held on well, though I don’t see any visual wear and tear in the tire threads but I am already feeling that the grip is falling apart as the squealing noises have increased now. Plus, I felt confident earlier while carrying speeds as the car used to hold its line into the corners, however now I can feel the car drifting few inches from the line.
  • Headlights fog up from inside when the rains are lashing left right and center, but moment the car is left to dry, the headlight lens becomes crystal clear. I should have sorted this issue during monsoons, will not have to wait for the next year.
  • Was driving the Kodiaq for few days, white illumination all around felt really soothing, then when I shifted back to the Octavia, orange center console illumination, white cockpit illumination and orange back lit buttons, felt really odd. To top it up, the white ambient light which illuminates the center console, definitely felt out of place suddenly. However, I believe, they have sorted this color combination issue in the newer updated Octavia.

Overall, what my initial impressions were about the car of being mental when you want it and sober when you want it, remains intact. And I think that is what puts a smile on my face every time I am out driving her. I am not saying the itch to upgrade my ride hasn't creeped in, it has. But every-time I get behind the steering wheel of this car, it reminds me of a remark that Rohan Albal from PD had made for the vRS- they may not make such cars in the future anymore. A future, which holds strong for electric cars. Plus in India, the only other performance sedan is the BMW 530D, and that cost's a bomb to buy and own. Till then, my current performance sedan, is doing a fab job. And it automatically lets me forget my itch.

Upgrades Planned

As the car completes two years in next two months, following upgrades are planned
  • Switching to better bulbs, I have selected, Philips Xenon X-treme Vision gen2 D3S. Would be ordering it in a day or two from powerbulbs. They generally take 15-20 days to deliver. It was a tough call to choose between Philips Xenon X-treme Vision and Osram’s brand new Night Breaker Laser HID bulb. But I went in from the Philips Xenon, as there were very less reviews around the Osram’s as compared to the Philips. The link if anyone wants to order the bulbs is here.
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...en2-d3s-single
  • As I mentioned earlier, tires are squealing now, it’s time to upgrade to a better rubber. I wanted to go in for the Michelins PS4’s, but then as they are not available in R16, I have opted for the next best from the Michelins, the P3ST’s. I am awaiting for them to be in stock with my regular tire dealer here. Once he has in stock, would be going in for the swap. Have been quoted INR 8800/- per piece. I am yet to check on the exchange value.
  • 2nd service is due in the month of November, would definitely keep you guys updated on the scheme of things then, however, post the service, 3rd ceramic touch up coat would be done. The car then would be back to factory shine. Probably, better than factory shine. I also intend to get the denting work done on the bumper between the service and ceramic touch up work.

Few parting Shots

Beautiful while stand-still
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_2477.jpg

Beautiful in motion too
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_2458.jpg

That's our Jeep Compass along side
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_2482.jpg

When the monster closes in, even the Jeep gives way
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_2448.jpg
sawnilrules is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:00   #79
BHPian

Re: 23000 km on the ODO, completing 22 months and planned upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

Off-late, owing to the construction of metro work in Mumbai, I have stopped taking her to work. It pains me to put the car in this maddening grill of 3 hours every evening just to cover 21 km. The car now gets used only on weekends that to late nights if we are headed out for a drive or for my once in two months inter-city trips.

[*]Was driving the Kodiaq for few days, white illumination all around felt really soothing, then when I shifted back to the Octavia, orange center console illumination, white cockpit illumination and orange back lit buttons, felt really odd. To top it up, the white ambient light which illuminates the center console, definitely felt out of place suddenly. However, I believe, they have sorted this color combination issue in the newer updated Octavia.[/list]

When the monster closes in, even the Jeep gives way
Attachment 1806035
Earlier, on multiple occasions, i have seen your car whiz past mine on the Western Express Highway during peak hours in the morning. Not seen your car in a long time. Your post answers that!

Also, Out of curiosity, How did you manage to get your hands on the Kodiaq,that too for few days?

It really feels good to read an ownership review of the 1.8TSi without a niggle for 2 years(Except the battery replacement). Great going. You maintain your car immaculately
Old 9th October 2018, 16:55   #80
BHPian

Re: 23000 km on the ODO, completing 22 months and planned upgrades

Quote:
Earlier, on multiple occasions, i have seen your car whiz past mine on the Western Express Highway during peak hours in the morning. Not seen your car in a long time. Your post answers that!
Err sorry, I didn't notice your car, what's your current ride, may be will be on a look out for you the next time. Also, now you must be zipping past my ride to work which is the Wagon R. Its a local cabbie guy with whom I have tied up to drop me everyday morning to work. But the good part is, I need not worry about driving in the mad traffic, also, evening, now I can try multiple avenues to go home, right from AC trains, to Uber/Ola to intra-city bus aggregators.

Quote:
Also, Out of curiosity, How did you manage to get your hands on the Kodiaq,that too for few days?
A close friend of mine had picked up the Kodiaq and as he was traveling internationally for a week, he had kept the car with me, so was using the car. Will post the Kodiaq vs Octavia if time permits.

Quote:
It really feels good to read an ownership review of the 1.8TSi without a niggle for 2 years(Except the battery replacement). Great going. You maintain your car immaculately
thank you mate.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:42   #81
BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq- from an Octavia’s owner perspective.

Last road trip to Goa, both me and wifey were convinced that our next buy definitely had to be an SUV. There I could see my dream of picking up the BMW 530d as an upgrade out of the window. Nothing wrong with the sedan’s here, but the quality of our potholes on the roads, just don’t warrant a sedan.

Considering Skoda had anyways launched the Kodiaq, and being a customer of Skoda, they were kind enough to let me use the car for 3-4 days to get the feel of the car, as they saw in me a probable upgrade customer. So here’s a brief perspective of the Kodiaq, as an existing Octavia owner.
  • You know it’s a Skoda from the moment you set your eyes on the car, be it the signature Skoda grill, power bulge on the bonnet or the crystalline tail-lights, you have seen them before. It means and looks business class from the word go.
  • Step inside the Kodiaq, and you instantly fall in love with the way the interiors stack up so well. The ambient lights all around as the sun sets in come on automatically, it simply livens up the all-around ambience. All white lighting all around feels uniform and soothing to eyes.
  • I particularly loved the 8.0 inch touch screen display is sharp and crisp and it supports Apple CarPlay as well as Android Auto. The 10 speaker setup of Canton, is the best I must have heard south of 40 lacs price bracket cars. The only flip side to this setup is that you have to work around and tweak around the sound settings a lot to get that perfect sounding output.
  • Start the car and you would be surprised with the refinedness of this engine, in this state of tune. In similar state of tune in the Octavia, the engine sounds ruff and does make an inroads in the cabin. But in the Kodiaq, well that’s not the case. Even though on paper the car comes with
    miser looking numbers. Performance overall all is more than sufficient.
  • I extensively used the car in city traffic, and I was amazed with its ability to mask its size so well. First day I did feel overwhelmed, but with time, I got used to the size. Credit here goes to the perfectly calibrated steering wheel. Where the Endeavour keeps reminding you of its size, the Kodiaq is able to fit around you perfectly well. It is easily able to zip in and out of traffic. Of course, you need to keep in mind, that this is no Nano. If time at hand is not in limit, using auto park function was absolute fun. Especially the look on the faces of the security team who look at the car as if they saw God perform one of his duties.

After sending back the car, I did get a call from the Skoda team to ask me, would I think of this car as a potential upgrade?

Honestly I said, I would, had I already not owned a Skoda Octavia. Nothing wrong with the Kodiaq here. While the fit and finish levels are up there with the German Trio, but still somewhere the Kodiaq didn’t connect. I have pre face lift Octavia, but look at a person who just bought a 27 lac Octavia L&K, it almost has all the features and gizmos that a 42 lac Kodiaq L&K offers, save for 7 seats, the drive modes, auto-hold and 4x4 hardware. Both have same touch screen system, same 767 watts Canton Speakers, same driver/co-driver powered and memory front seats, same Virtual Cockpit Display, same ambient lights and foot-well lights with 10 color options, same auto park, heck, even same engine in same state of tune. I may not get anything exclusively new in the Kodiaq.

Had I not been an Octavia owner, I would definitely be the first guy in line to pick up, because I wouldn’t have experienced anything of it in my earlier car. In Kodiaq, not only would I get most of the gizmos that the German Trio’s offer, but also would save 30 lacs in the bargain.

PS- The Octavia goes for the second service this weekend. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes. Just an update on the Octavia, the left scroller on the steering wheel abruptly broke off last weekend. As a result volume control via steering wheel is not working. Need to get it replaced during the service and probably may have to haggle for warranty.
sawnilrules is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 16:41   #82
BANNED

Re: Skoda Kodiaq- from an Octavia’s owner perspective.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the sedan’s here, but the quality of our potholes on the roads, just don’t warrant a sedan.
True, and.....

Quote:
I may not get anything exclusively new Kodiaq.
This is exactly what you will get in the Kodiaq, the luxury of a sedan with the peace of mind of an SUV. Simple.

Quote:
Just an update on the Octavia, the left scroller on the steering wheel abruptly broke off last weekend.
These instances have become pretty frequent and hence you should easily get a goodwill replacement.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last road trip to Goa, both me and wifey were convinced that our next buy definitely had to be an SUV. There I could see my dream of picking up the BMW 530d as an upgrade out of the window
Sawnilrules:
Did you get the bulbs? How's the output?
Change the tyres to P3STs and you will fall in love even more. I did!
So what next ? If no sedan then what did you have in mind?

I'm also struggling with options of the vRS, 330i, 520 and the XE. Still clinging on to a sedan!

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th November 2018 at 21:50.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 13:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
True, and.....
And then all those cars,trucks,buses whom you overtook earlier, over take you now.

Quote:
This is exactly what you will get in the Kodiaq, the luxury of a sedan with the peace of mind of an SUV. Simple.
No denying that the Kodiaq is a brilliant car, but as an existing Skoda user, I did-not find anything exclusive about it.

For example, had I been a BMW customer, currently using X1, I would have a motivation to pickup the X3. For example, X1 does not come with wireless charging, X3 does, X1 does come with Apple CarPlay, but X3 comes with wireless Apple CarPlay. X1 does come with high-fidelity audio system, but does not come with X3's simply brilliant 16 speaker speaker from Harmon. And so on and so forth.

So in a nutshell, there would be something new to look forward in the X3. Same thing is not true from Kodiaq.

However, having said that, had I not been using a Skoda product currently, I would definitely go in for the Kodiaq, as it almost offers everything that the premium 3 brands offer.

Quote:
These instances have become pretty frequent and hence you should easily get a goodwill replacement.
Yups, got it claimed under warranty. As the part was not available, I will be going over this weekend to get the scroller fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sawnilrules:
Did you get the bulbs? How's the output?
Just got their delivery last night, will be switching to them over this weekend, will keep you posted.

Quote:
Change the tyres to P3STs and you will fall in love even more. I did!
Just switched to P3STs this sunday, few short bursts on highway, and I completely agree with your statement.

Quote:
So what next ? If no sedan then what did you have in mind?

I'm also struggling with options of the vRS, 330i, 520 and the XE. Still clinging on to a sedan!
I am contesting between Mercedes-Benz GLC-220d Progressive vs BMW X3 x20 Luxury Line.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:42   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No denying that the Kodiaq is a brilliant car, but as an existing Skoda user, I did-not find anything exclusive about it.

Just switched to P3STs this sunday, few short bursts on highway, and I completely agree with your statement.

I am contesting between Mercedes-Benz GLC-220d Progressive vs BMW X3 x20 Luxury Line.
Agree with the Kodiaq comments. Fact is that at ~27L OTR, the Octavia 1.8 just exceeds your expectations so much that it is very difficult to figure out a sensible upgrade.

W.r.t. the P3STs, do scrub off the initial layer (~500 km) before the launch control starts

I like the GLC! But my budget is a max of 45L OTR which is kind of restrictive for any SUV/crossover
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 17:36   #86
BHPian

Second Service update- 24800 KMS on board

Basis last years’ service schedule, this year the service was due around mid-November. Additionally, even this time, I had received a reminder call from the dealership about the service due. Hence I ended up booking the service appointment for 10th November 2018.

As scheduled, I reached the service station at 09:30 in the morning, and same service advisor, was tagged to my car who had done servicing for my car last year. Good part was, he was already aware of the things that were carried out during the last service.

As a part of second service, following things were to be carried out again, as they were during the first service.
  • Air Filter Change
  • AC Filter Change
  • Pollen Filter Change
  • Oil Filter Change
  • 5.2 ltr. Oil changed
  • Old Oil Drained
  • Brake Pads serviced & brake fluids checked
  • Entire underbody checked for any damage
  • Suspensions checked
  • Battery Health checked
  • Coolant Top up
  • Drive Shaft Checked
  • Overall general check-up
  • Car washed and vacuumed

What I would really love to highlight this time are some unique things that I could see at the service station this time, as I had good time at hand.
  • During lunch, all the lights of the service floor are switched off, and all the technicians gather together at one place and have their lunch together. Good initiative to conserve energy. I was glad to see their camaraderie and bonding during lunch. As I was besides my car while the servicing was on, the technician even invited me to join him for lunch. Sweet Gesture indeed.
  • There is a 13 step process for washing and vacuuming the car (displayed near washing/cleaning bay), was pleased to see that all the steps were followed while washing and vacuuming.
  • Michael dada, now I know him by name, tirelessly prepares and serves tea/coffee not only to the staff but also to the customers in the service station. He must be doing the same job day in and day out, but always wears genuine smile. Many a times, considering I wait at the service stations around my car, he has proactively walked up to me and offered me tea.
  • My car was serviced by lunch, however only washing and vacuuming was pending. Prasad Shinde, the service advisor tagged to me, also could have simply dropped everything and gone for lunch. But he ensured that he was along with me most of the times, I asked him to have lunch, he was spot on enough to say, Sir, I would have lunch once your car is gone, how can I have lunch, when my customer hasn’t had lunch. I think, this is commendably, truly Skoda Auto is making zillion efforts to bring in smile on the faces of their customers. True to his words, Prasad did wait till the car was washed, cleaned and handed over to me.
  • My steering wheel multi-function scroller was broken, and I thought, I may have to haggle for warranty, but was surprised that, considering I had already mentioned about the part being broken earlier on call, the service team had already put a request for warranty on the part, and were awaiting the part.

Finally, how much did all this cost me? The total service bill was INR 12100/-. Not bad at-all, it almost works to 1000/- per month. For a 27 lac, D Segment car, 12100/- is considerably cheap.

Few pictures that I clicked during the time at the service station

Car at Service Station
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-front.jpg

At the Service Bay, ready to be serviced
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-ramp.jpg

Covering the seats & steering wheel
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-covers.jpg

Changing the oils
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-oil-change.jpg

Cleaning the discs
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-disc-cleaning.jpg

Car Getting Washed
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-washing.jpg

Washing Instructions displayed at the service washing bay
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-washing-instructions.jpg

At the service station, I saw this, and immaculately maintained first generation Skoda Octavia. On a casual chat with the owner, he informed that the car was 15 years old with 1.50 lacs on the ODO and without any niggles, still running on stock engine and gearbox, with only preventive maintenance done all these years.

Gem of a Car
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-first-gen-octavia.jpg

Have upgraded to better shoes for the car, other planned upgrades have also arrived, do keep visiting the thread for those updates
sawnilrules is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 20:08   #87
BHPian

New Shoes, New Eyes, a Coat Hanger and a Ceramic Maintenance Coat.

The Shoes- Michelin Primacy 3 ST (P3ST)

Michelin
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7517.jpg

The Goodyear NCT’s even though at roughly 24k were beginning to loose grip. Also, the squealing noise had significantly gone up. Considering, I intended to keep the car for another 3 years I thought, it was the best time to change the tires, aka shoes. The deciding factors was between Michelin P3ST’s and Michelin PS4’s. As far as possible, I wanted to keep the size to stock. PS4’s were unfortunately not available in R16’s hence went with the P3ST’s. I insisted on fresh rubber from the perspective of manufacturing date, and I got 27/18 tires. Which was relatively newer lot as compared to other lot of 04/18. I was given to understand, 27 or 04 meant the week of manufacture. So by 27/18, it meant, 27th week, hence almost June last week manufactured. The size that I went for is stock 205/55/R16, hence no issues on the warranty front if any.

Now coming to the tires. How are they? My review of the tires is based on roughly 100 km that I have put on the ODO after putting them, and purely in city roads.
  • The first immediate thing that you notice about them is how silent the tires are, there is absolutely no noise from the tires. They are super silent
  • Where the steering wheel felt lifeless on Goodyear’s, the steering wheel weighs up really well at all speeds. It just does not feel electric steering wheel anymore.
  • The grip from the tires is amazing, they may not be as sportier as the PS4’s, but then they are the best balance of comfort and grip. The run-in period is yet to get over and I think with time, they will become more and more gripper.
  • Good to see, tire manufacturers evolving with time, they now have digital warranty as opposed to paper based warranty card. You just need to tell any dealer your registered contact number to claim under warranty for any issues. If I remember correctly, the warranty on this tires is for 03 years.

Overall, extremely happy with my purchase, and I think, worth the money spent. As mentioned elsewhere, the tires costed me 8800/- per piece.

New Eyes- Philips Xenon D3S- X-treme Vision, series 2, 4800k

Philips
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7552.jpg

Skoda’s standard Xenon bulbs are Philips made D3S series, but with lower kelvin. Initially, I found the lights to be good, considering I was switching over non OEM Bi-Xenon’s to OEM Bi-Xenon’s. Plus, AFS works beautifully to light up the road well in the front. However with time, I found the lights dimming out, also AFS though a brilliant system, worked beautifully only in pitch dark conditions. In rains, it was a pure struggle. Hence, I decided to switch over to better bulbs. It was a difficult to choose between Osram’s vs Philips. But considering, I did not have any reviews of Osram’s, I went ahead with Philips Xenon D3S X-Treme Vision Series-2 4800K. Ordered the bulbs through Power-bulbs, they took exact 10 days to deliver the bulb. With shipment, both the units costed me 151 Pounds. With conversion charge on my credit card, in INR, it came to around INR 15100/-

Packaging
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7553.jpg

Packaging
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7554.jpg

The Xenons
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7560.jpg

Old Vs New
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7562.jpg

Just today got the bulbs fitted today morning today. Yet to test the difference, will probably do the light testing as and when I get time. However, initial impressions were positive. As I entered in the parking basement today in the afternoon, I instantly felt the lights to be brighter and sharper in throw. Didn’t feel that the throw was any longer, however the website does claim 150 meter additional throw. Don’t know yet if that’s true claim, probably after proper night testing, I can throw some light on that claim.

Coat Hanger

Hanger
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7436.jpg

As you climb up the corporate ladder, Suit becomes one of your quite often attire. It was getting difficult to wear the suit and drive as it ended up putting crease on the suit. Solution for that was a coat hanger. However since I had screens attached to the rear seats, I had to remove one screen and replace that with a coat hanger. Got the hanger installed through the dealer and was priced at INR 2400/-.

Ceramic Maintenance Coat & Denting Work

Ceramic Maintenance Coat was long planned and I was simply waiting for the service to be done. Post getting the service done last week, I decided to give the car for ceramic coat to PMP. Also, there was a minor dent on the rear bumper which was becoming a sore eye, hence decided to get that fixed. Through Sandesh, the owner of PMP, I got introduced to Mr. Qasim, he has his garage in IC Colony, Mumbai, and he specializes in servicing, and denting-painting of premium cars. Interestingly, he does have a paint boot too. When I showed him the dent, he quoted INR 6000/-. Quite honestly, I felt that’s too much, but nevertheless, considering he specialized on premium cars, and he had sound knowledge of color platelets used in the premium segment, I decided to hand over the car to him. He took 03 days to do the job, and boy was I surprised. Well I will let the pictures do the talking.

Can you spot the dent
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-photo20181115174618.jpg

Well matched color too
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-photo20181115174618_1.jpg

Nice Reflection
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-photo20181115174618_2.jpg

In bargain, the Sticker's Gone
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-photo20181115174618_3.jpg

Post the bumper work done, Sandesh collected the car for ceramic coat and I got the car back today from him. The maintenance coat process is slightly different from the regular ceramic coat process. Allow me sometime to explain that process. Probably, if time permits, will post the ceramic maintenance coat process and difference in light throw together in later posts. For now, do let me know, if the car feels two year old.

Rear
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-0e108e4eb8c945d4891d5553dfd299c8.jpg

Side Profile
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-2dc10a02e6384c63acbea42c2869f80f.jpg

Rear 3/4th Quarter
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-3b9b2b62178c4f51a635d96f9ea2edd4.jpg

Front 3/4th Quarter
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-9132fb701e9d4fdd8a9e176806767050.jpg

The Boot Lid
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-a7100b99ea3e421098f7a753b9a8f0d9.jpg

Can you spot anything in the reflections Ma
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-b40b48f5ac3f4a2892626983d466bf0c.jpg

Beautiful as always
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-d52636c9b3074786babb7c154dad7cf2.jpg

Brand New Engine Bay
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7561.jpg

Overall, was it worth doing the ceramic coat 02 years ago, considering high initial cost it came with. I guess, again, I would let you decide basis the above pictures. How much did I pay for the maintenance coat, INR 2000/-

In a nutshell, both my cars have had a good Diwali this time around. Right now, the smaller hatch-back is with Sandesh for regular annual polishing.

As always, feel free to ask questions if any.
sawnilrules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:15   #88
BHPian

Hi Sawnilrules,

Please do share your experience with Philips Xenon D3S- X-treme Vision, series 2, 4800k .
Old 24th March 2019, 18:38   #89
BHPian

Hi @Sawnilrules, thank you for this thread. Just wanted to check if you have posted a subsequent ownership review somewhere?

I'm currently thinking about getting the 1.8, and would love to know how your experience has been over the last couple of years.

Thanks,
R_S
Old 8th January 2020, 15:35   #90
BHPian

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_8047_original.jpg

It’s almost has been a year that I have been away from the forum. Time just flies. At the outset, my apologies for being not able to update the thread. Work & Personal life kept me occupied. More on it a bit later.

I have been adding mileage on the Octavia constantly and as we speak the car is at 34000 kms on the ODO. So how has been the car staking up.
Well first things first, I got the third service of the car done this last November. The total bill worked out to INR 19867, as it included the cost of changing brake pads and all the filters too. With time, the quality of service at Skoda has really improved. 5 hours end to end is what they took to service the car and hand it over back to me. At the time of servicing in the month of November, the ODO was on 33000. So practically, post servicing in the last two months, the car has been driven only 1000 kms.

I was expecting that the new bi-xenon bulbs that I had installed from Philips D3S X-Treme Vision Series-2 4800K, would perform well, but sad to report that, there hasn’t been any significant improvement in the throw of the light. It still is a struggle to drive in rains. However, regular environments, it has been phenomenal.

P3ST’s have run 8-9k kms now and are holding up well. The grip levels are still as if they were, when the rubbers were new. So totally worth the investment.

I have been facing random ac cooling issues off late. If I set the temperature at startup to 24, the blowers throw hot air, and takes time to settle down and start throwing cool air. To counter this, I start the AC at temperatures around 21 and then switch to auto.
I intend to buy the extended warranty from Skoda to add another 2 years to the kitty. I hope to keep the car that long, three reasons. One, as for now I have not faced any specific issues with the car. Second, I don’t foresee any car for now that can fill in the shoes of what Octavia is able to do and third and most importantly, I don’t see Vitamin M supporting new car buying decision at this time.

To all my bhpians, I am happy to note that 2019, was of many firsts for me. I always wanted to write and review cars, and finally took a plunge to review cars independently, and have a mini start-up of a kind.

For now, I have been reviewing premium cars, and I am happy to say that our motoring community has been quite supportive.

My work can be found here- www.motorise.in

It’s a humble beginning, simply to put out my views and reviews on these cars. I hope you like my writing and work. I would love to hear from veterans here, and have your blessings my following my work.
sawnilrules is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks