Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Got delivery of my brand new Palio 1.2 ELX, 70k cash discount, free tinting, teflon coating, rubber mats, mud flaps & remote locking system. Hooked up my IPOD to the sound system & I enjoy my 45min drive to office everyday. I am totally in awe of the build quality & how big the car feels from the inside. However the engine seems to be a bit rugged right now & I wanted to know if this is normal to brand new cars. Precisely speaking "I can feel the engine grind at times". I have had the same experience when I had my Maruti 800, but wasn't expecting the same from a engine this refined. The gear shift also feels a bit nothcy, overall the sound of the engine while idling is not smoothhhh, it sounds like it's grinding. Maybe am getting too paranoid now, but I thot it wud be better to do a sanity check. Should I wait for the break in, i.e 1000-1500 kms & see the difference. Please help !!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th November 2006, 10:08   #2
BHPian

grinding?...the palio engine is pretty smooth, and refined, so you might get it checked.

But, all said, its a brand new car, and I would suggest waiting at least till 1000 kms is done before you check this. See if it goes away.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Till first oil change most of the new cars engine not smooth and we can notice less pick up, Palio 1.2 is bit sluggish compared with 1.6, Palio's gearbox is one great thing about any fiat vehicle, I simply love them although I don't own any fiat till date,

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th November 2006, 10:23   #4

Hi mb. Even I got a Palio 1.2 ELX a week back. I got a discount of 77,000, so no freebies. Yes the car feels really good from inside, specially the dual tone interiors. I can feel the engine vibrate at idle when I start it in the morning, but it goes as I start driving. Is it the same in your case also? Or you find the engine rugged even when driving? My Gear Shift is good, but I suppose in your case, with time it should smoothen out.

Did you get the tyres changed to tubeless. That was the first thing I did. Changed to Bridgestone B700 185/70. Cost me Rs. 2,500 to change all 5.
Old 9th November 2006, 20:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanakbar
Hi mb. Even I got a Palio 1.2 ELX a week back. I got a discount of 77,000, so no freebies. Yes the car feels really good from inside, specially the dual tone interiors. I can feel the engine vibrate at idle when I start it in the morning, but it goes as I start driving. Is it the same in your case also? Or you find the engine rugged even when driving? My Gear Shift is good, but I suppose in your case, with time it should smoothen out.

Did you get the tyres changed to tubeless. That was the first thing I did. Changed to Bridgestone B700 185/70. Cost me Rs. 2,500 to change all 5.
Firstly, congrats man, it sure feels great to own the palio, even if it's a 1.2. Love the dual tone, I do feel the engine vibrate at idle, but just a tad bit. Then engine is very smooth once in motion. The gear shift is good, but a bit notchy at times, maybe I need to wait till I break it in. Damn dude did u say u paid only Rs.2,500 for a set of 5 tubeless tyres??!!! Did u exchange the existing ones for the tubeless or what? I would do the same if what u said about the price is correct.
Old 9th November 2006, 22:06   #6

it sure does feel great to own one. the sad part is no one appreciates the decision of buying it in the first instance, but when they drive it and hear the current price, they are full of praises, specially colleagues who have santros and wagon rs. no disrespect to these cars, they are great cars, but when it comes to driving pleasure, you know which car is the winner.

yes, i paid only rs. 2500 for the tyres, in exchange for the older tyres. the bridgestone showroom was just a km away from the tata-fiat showroom, so the factory fitted tyres were as good as unused. i would suggest that you get them changed to tubeless as soon as possible to get the maximum price for your factory fitted tyres. enjoy your ride!
Old 9th November 2006, 22:56   #7
BHPian

I think you meant 2500 for each tyre !! But tell me this, since yours is a new car too, are you religiously maintaining a certain RPM to change gears? If you are what is the range for each gear shift ?
Old 9th November 2006, 23:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg
I think you meant 2500 for each tyre !! But tell me this, since yours is a new car too, are you religiously maintaining a certain RPM to change gears? If you are what is the range for each gear shift ?
it must be 2500 for 5 tyres in exchange of stock new tyres.....

Even i got them exchanged for potenza GIII for my baleno...
Old 9th November 2006, 23:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanakbar
it sure does feel great to own one.
enjoy your ride!
IMO we FIAT enthusiasts are a breed apart man. Am gonna get my tyres changed this weekend, thanks for the update, it really helped. Drive safe.
Old 9th November 2006, 23:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
it must be 2500 for 5 tyres in exchange of stock new tyres.....

Even i got them exchanged for potenza GIII for my baleno...
I've heard the Potenza's wear out faster than the other brands. Is that true?
Old 10th November 2006, 00:10   #11
BHPian

Hi !Mb,

Congrats for your new ride...Its good to see more palios on Pune roads these days.Hope to meet you in the PUG/T-Bhp meet sometime.
Hold on till the running in period for checking the "grinding"sound.Change gears between 2-3K rpm for best results.

rgds,

Rahul.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvilas
Hi !Mb,

Congrats for your new ride...Its good to see more palios on Pune roads these days.Hope to meet you in the PUG/T-Bhp meet sometime.
Hold on till the running in period for checking the "grinding"sound.Change gears between 2-3K rpm for best results.

rgds,

Rahul.
Thanks Rahul. I've been keeping it under 3k rpm, wasn't sure & needed to get more expert reviews from already Palio owners. Let me know when the T-BHP meet is. Am also looking forward to put in a K&N filter & free flow exhaust, please let me know if you can help me with this. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2006, 20:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg
Am also looking forward to put in a K&N filter & free flow exhaust, please let me know if you can help me with this. Thanks.
While a K&N filter is ok, I would personally not put in a FF for a new car!
Old 11th November 2006, 22:18   #14
BHPian

Hi mb jb.. congrats for your ride man. You sure made a great decision. Me too have 1.2 ELX.
Wait till the next oil change for that rugged feeling as Fiat engines are more strong..

Enjoy every bit and drive safe ...
Old 13th November 2006, 21:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
While a K&N filter is ok, I would personally not put in a FF for a new car!
Thanks for update, when would you suggest I install one, or should I at all?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks