Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2018, 19:58   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

KW Coilovers

KW coilovers came in from Germany earlier this week;

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522333303.950694.jpg

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522333342.039956.jpg

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522333414.855554.jpg

karan561 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:44   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Apex Race Wheels !

A closer look at these Flow Forged, Lightweight & High strength race spec Wheels by Apex;

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522667524.934043.jpg

Cant wait for these to go onto the car

Next up are the tyres

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd April 2018 at 16:47.
karan561 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15

Did you not pick any of these parts during your Germany trip. Would have been much easier and cheaper as well.
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:22   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Did you not pick any of these parts during your Germany trip. Would have been much easier and cheaper as well.
No, as most of the parts are bulky so wasn't practical to bring it along.

Hence best was to import (Germany, USA & UK) them stage wise as & when whatever was required during the build

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd April 2018 at 21:29. Reason: Typo !
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:29   #110
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic to see the build progress Karan. Every update makes me smile!

Had the NGT not ruined it for me, i had planned on doing a proper engine and gearbox swap on my E36 as well. However, with the registration expired and NOC not being issued, she is in storage for an indefinite period. All the best for the build!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:02   #111
BHPian

Re: Apex Race Wheels !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A closer look at these Flow Forged, Lightweight & High strength race spec Wheels by Apex;

Attachment 1747880

Next up are the tyres
Karan, how much duty was charged for importing the wheels? I am looking at some wheels for my F10 and i am thinking it would be cheaper to import than pay inflated prices here.
abhiram7912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:16   #112
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1747880

Next up are the tyres
Lovely Lovely Karan !! These BBS lookalike wheels are the best suited to the E46. May I suggest the following paint combination :

Light grey body with matt black wheels
Gun Metal grey body with glossy black wheels
Pearl White body with matt golden wheels (Impreza type)

Seriously within a year, this is going to turn into the best E46 in the country.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:41   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Absolutely fantastic to see the build progress Karan. Every update makes me smile!
Hey Rohan Thanks, glad you are enjoying the build.

Quote:
Had the NGT not ruined it for me, i had planned on doing a proper engine and gearbox swap on my E36 as well. However, with the registration expired and NOC not being issued, she is in storage for an indefinite period. All the best for the build!
Extremely saddening to hear this news. Hope NGT relax their policy for such rare imports.

In the meanwhile you would be glad to know i recently renewed my RC book upto 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
Karan, how much duty was charged for importing the wheels? I am looking at some wheels for my F10 and i am thinking it would be cheaper to import than pay inflated prices here.
38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Lovely Lovely Karan !!
Thanks v12 !

Quote:
These BBS lookalike wheels are the best suited to the E46.
Though they may look like BBS but Apex have their own identity in the E46 aftermarket upgrade / race setups.

Quote:
May I suggest the following paint combination :
I am not repainting the rims, the current rim finish is in Race Silver & would continue so.

Quote:
Light grey body with matt black wheels
Gun Metal grey body with glossy black wheels
Pearl White body with matt golden wheels (Impreza type)
Almost zeroed down on Exterior body paint (repaint) which will probably be Silver Grey Metallic.

Quote:
Seriously within a year, this is going to turn into the best E46 in the country.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:09   #114
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The quote that I am reminded about when I see these wheels is "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". You can see the design of these rims in 2ways - the Y shape or the U shape. And they look amazing in either way (although I prefer the Y).
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:34   #115
BHPian

Hi Karan,

I am one of the lurkers on the forum. I have little to share in terms of value addition by way of my comments with my limited knowledge. I still consider myself a car enthusiasts and like to read up any material which has to do with automobile engineering, high performance cars, performance mods, etc.. Reading about cars being restored is extremely satisfying. I like BMWs for the whole legacy of the Bavarian Engineering and how over years they have been perfecting their cars to make them machines which entices people who love to drive. I have been keenly following your thread and I am quite excited to see how the build is progressing and how it will ultimately end up. I just want to give you thumbs up. Please continue sharing!

Best,

Rajwant
RajBajwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:11   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The quote that I am reminded about when I see these wheels is "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". You can see the design of these rims in 2ways - the Y shape or the U shape. And they look amazing in either way (although I prefer the Y).
Excellent Observation there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
Hi Karan,
I have been keenly following your thread and I am quite excited to see how the build is progressing and how it will ultimately end up. I just want to give you thumbs up.
Hi Rajwant,

Thank you for this motivating post

Quote:
Please continue sharing!
Sure !
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:09   #117
BHPian

Re: KW Coilovers

Quote:
KW coilovers came in from Germany earlier this week
Hey Karan, any reason that you imported the KW Coilovers direct from Germany and did not go through the Official Indian Distributors which is RaceTech? (I think). If you ever have any trouble with setup or something not feeling right then you will have to coordinate with KW Germany directly. I'm asking this because I too am interested in KW V2 / KW Street Comforts / Eibach Pro-Street S for my Laura and am torn between importing them myself or just getting them from the local distributer. The price ends up being almost the same either way since when you order online and get it delivered through Fedex or DHL, they include shipping in the Invoice price and charge you duty on the whole thing which is

This is what you end up paying :- ((Price of product + Shipping) + (Price of product + Shipping)*Duties)

when in reality duty should be charged only on the price of the product and not shipping which should be separate (as discussed with a shipping agent).

Please do share your insights/experiences on how you get the best price while importing car parts, you must've gathered lots of experience since you're rejuvenating the whole car using mostly parts ordered from online.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:38   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Hey Karan, any reason that you imported the KW Coilovers direct from Germany and did not go through the Official Indian Distributors which is RaceTech? (I think). If you ever have any trouble with setup or something not feeling right then you will have to coordinate with KW Germany directly. I'm asking this because I too am interested in KW V2 / KW Street Comforts / Eibach Pro-Street S for my Laura and am torn between importing them myself or just getting them from the local distributer. The price ends up being almost the same either way since when you order online and get it delivered through Fedex or DHL, they include shipping in the Invoice price and charge you duty on the whole thing which is
Hello, these KW Coilovers were sourced through N1 Racing (www.n1-racing.com, https://www.facebook.com/n1racingequipment).

They took aprox 5 weeks to come in through Germany though.

N1 Racing are official dealers of KW Suspension here in Mumbai

Quote:
Please do share your insights/experiences on how you get the best price while importing car parts, you must've gathered lots of experience since you're rejuvenating the whole car using mostly parts ordered from online.
Websites such as www.ecstuning.com & www.fcpeuro.com were mostly used to source the parts which gives a good idea on the parts pricing. Freight quotes are also calculated at checkout & then add 38% duty which will give you the exact pricing of the landed price.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 14:55   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Wip

In the meanwhile the installation has begun & here's a WIP pic @ D.A.D workshop;

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) build thread | EDIT: New video & upgrades on page 15-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522833832.968692.jpg

A proper video (Project E46 - Part 5) is in the making, stay tuned
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 20:44   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
This is what you end up paying :- ((Price of product + Shipping) + (Price of product + Shipping)*Duties)

when in reality duty should be charged only on the price of the product and not shipping which should be separate (as discussed with a shipping agent).

No, Shipping (and Insurance) is always added to the costs for calculating customs irrespective of the mode of transportation/ Clearing. If your landed prices are same - direct import + expenses vs local INR, better pick locally. This will be due to Trade/ Volume discounts being passed to the Indian dealer.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks