Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 12:55   #61
BHPian

Re: My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King

It is always better to check the gear position after taking delivery from ASS. I also have the same problem, they always put my Duster AWD in Auto mode or even worse in 4WD. A few experiences with them, the first thing I check is the drive selector position.

I had been to Kuttikkanam last weekend and tried to drive to Urumbikkara, and gave up on seeing the condition of the trail. It is too dangerous with the Duster. Some time try this trail.
Happy off roading.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 20:01   #62
BHPian

Update

completed 5200 km in three months after purchase.

I have been using gypsy as my daily drive during last week. So Gypsy was munching miles everyday. Also explored Periyakulam-Adukkam-Kodaikanal forest trail yesterday. This is a 22 km stretch of very lonely and beautiful forest road. Most probably you won't even see a single vehicle during this 2 hour drive. It was a lovely drive and as usual gypsy has performed flawlessly.

From Kodaikanal drove to Kilavarai village via Mannavannur. Since it is exam season roads were virtually empty and Kodai was very much relaxed without the usual tourist activity. Also weather gods were kind enough to keep us cool and comfortable despite the start of summer here.

Gypsy is still bone stock. No modifications or additions till date. I might change tyres soon. Planning to change engine oil with filter now. Will switch to synthetic oil from 10k service and then follow 10k oil change interval.

adding a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-5c80a6bdd1f342f390a87aaf2c1c44ea.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-552bfec0148643d2afd30a03356ef7b3.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-2373cd54d08c440e9364838a6ad6da70.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-5fc9bac0e33e40898426f47a8b445338.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7303.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7301-1.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-d1842b2f500a494a83edaf69fd96998a.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7230.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7260.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7269.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7272.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-img7306.jpg  

DrANTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 18:11   #63
BHPian

Need advice - is this Gypsy worth buying?

hey Guys,

I really need some opinions on whether this is worth buying or not, just unable to make up my mind!

I have always been looking to get a vehicle to use for my passion for off-roading. I recently came across this classified add on our forum

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ti/Gypsy.html/

for me, criteria is very simple
1. No gadgets
2. Should be able to drive long distances to the tune of Bangalore to Leh without getting broken. even if it breaks, any road side mechanic should be able to fix it
3. This should also serve as my general commute till i buy a 7 seater(2 years from now). i drive mostly on weekends only
4. Should not cost > 4 laks
5. Need AC at the minimum
6. Should seat 5
7. Seat belts must for all 5

here is my dilemma with the Gypsy in question:
- it meets all except # 6 and 7. Question is, can get rid of the jump kind of seats and get forward facing bench seat in this? if so, how much would it cost?
- how about seat belts for forward facing seats, can i get them molded to the chassis? how safe would that be?
- Owner has redone the engine and added AC, nice set of tires, Innova Shocks which ticks a few points above. Finally, is 3.7 laks worth it?

thanks so much for your opinions!
Old 12th May 2018, 18:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice - is this Gypsy worth buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post

Here is my dilemma with the Gypsy in question:
- it meets all except # 6 and 7. Question is, can get rid of the jump kind of seats and get forward facing bench seat in this? if so, how much would it cost?
- how about seat belts for forward facing seats, can i get them molded to the chassis? how safe would that be?
- Owner has redone the engine and added AC, nice set of tires, Innova Shocks which ticks a few points above. Finally, is 3.7 laks worth it?

Thanks so much for your opinions!
A redone engine does not really inspire confidence, especially for long drives. This must have been abused a lot in extreme offroading. If you want rock solid reliability, then buy new. A new Gypsy will last quite long without a hitch, unless used in extreme offroading, and members have been buying new Gypsies recently.

Regarding AC and seats, they can be added easily, just search the net and you will find a Gypsy group nearby, who will guide you.

Seat belts can be incorporated in Innova seats.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th May 2018 at 07:43. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 18:56   #65
BHPian

I had a Gypsy for more than 15 years and one of the good points of this vehicle is the ease of maintenance. With this background, you may generally consider a used Gypsy, but some of the negatives for this particular vehicle in my opinion would be:

* Already 18 years old
* Second owner
* Engine redone - needs a serious thought
* Some structural members could be partially rusted (with my Mumbai experience) and although may not be an issue in city driving , this may be a point to consider during off-roading.

I had got the jump seats removed and fitted a forward facing 3-seater which was not very expensive in the those days (1989).

Seat belts would always be a challenge if not factory fitted.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 19:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A redone engine does not really inspire confidence, especially for long drives. This must have been abused a lot in extreme offroading.

Seat belts can be incorporated in Innova seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
* Engine redone - needs a serious thought
Thanks both for the reply. This answers my confusion. I will NOT go for this car.
If i do go for a new Gypsy, would the Innova middle row bench seat fit in Gypsy, would it not be too wide?
Old 12th May 2018, 20:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both for the reply. This answers my confusion. I will NOT go for this car.
If i do go for a new Gypsy, would the Innova middle row bench seat fit in Gypsy, would it not be too wide?
The Innova middle row bench seat would be too wide for a Gypsy. So unless you really need 5 seats, it would be a good idea to consider the captain seats of the Innova. In which case the seat-belts fitment could also be a bit straightforward.

I have been waiting for the new Jimny, which is still not visible on the horizon and am in the same dilemma about going for the Gypsy.
Old 12th May 2018, 20:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
I have been waiting for the new Jimny, which is still not visible on the horizon and am in the same dilemma about going for the Gypsy.
hope they will launch it here!
Old 12th May 2018, 20:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
hope they will launch it here!
I believe it is more than 18 months away , which is a long wait.
Old 12th May 2018, 21:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go for a small hatch like an Alto and save the cash. You can even go for a lightly used one. You don't need an SUV to do trips like Bangalore to Leh. People almost always overestimate their need for an SUV. And for your budget, a heavily used SUV is going to be far less reliable than a new/lightly used small hatch.

Once you have the cash saved up, go for a proper 7-seat SUV and then enjoy the offroading.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 12th May 2018 at 21:13.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 11:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I suggest you go for a small hatch like an Alto and save the cash. You can even go for a lightly used one. You don't need an SUV to do trips like Bangalore to Leh. People almost always overestimate their need for an SUV. And for your budget, a heavily used SUV is going to be far less reliable than a new/lightly used small hatch.

Once you have the cash saved up, go for a proper 7-seat SUV and then enjoy the offroading.
Actually it is an excellent idea. If you go to the hills, the most visible vehicles are Alto/Omni/Eeco and Innova.

Unless the roads are absolutely a mess, an Alto and Omni are the best vehicles. They have a narrow track and a short turning circle. That means you can travel in comfort in between the ruts of a wider vehicle, and turn in one go where others require two or more tries.

The Alto K10 is one of the best iterations of Alto and it will not only zip along on the highways (OK I never tried more than 120 on open highways) at 110, but with AC on, return an FE of 19+.

I have traveled in the Himalayas both with M800 and the Omni, without a hitch.

The problem with Gypsy is its ride quality, which will leave you tired on a 2000+ km journey. In contrast with Alto K10 you will be fresh as ever.

If you can afford, get an Alto K10 for most of your rides and a new Gypsy at a later stage for Off Roading. Together they will cost less than a comparable 4x4 SUV.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 21:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
hey Guys,

6. Should seat 5
7. Seat belts must for all 5

here is my dilemma with the Gypsy in question:
I had fixed OMNI rear seat in my earlier Gypsy -- 410W -- and it is the right size. Many dealers give this option, particularly with the HT model.
Learning from experience, I wanted a folding seat for my 413W when I bought it in 2011, so that I could keep the backrest folded when only driver or one passenger rode. This increased rear visibility, even before fitting reversing camera and sensors. So I went for the Bolero rear seat, but it was slightly wider and had to be modified. With extra padding this too is very comfortable, more than most compact car rear seats without much depth.

Seat belts too, were fitted, but my Gypsies are 5-door full metal bodies, so fitting rear seat belts were pretty simple. Make a hole in the 'C' pillar the size of the nut for any aftermarket seat belt, spot weld the nut and screw the bolt in as with all seat belts. You can choose from inertia reel (spool outside, as in old Ambys, concealed spool may be a problem), or the manually adjustable type which need two nuts & bolts -- top & bottom -- on the 'C' pillar.
It may be a problem for FRP HT model -- you may have to make suitable clamps to fit the frame supporting the hard top. Or you may go in for 2-point (lap only) seatbelts for all rear passengers, as is found in modern cars for middle passenger only. These have both fixing points on the floor. They are also easily available in the aftermarket.
The other side of the belt can be, and should be, bolted to the floor just behind and below the seat.

Then I went on to cut the legs of SUMO Grande baby/jump seats to fit them in the dicky space. These are okay for short distances, more butt space than the OMNI baby seats, and fold up when not needed. You may try that too !

Happy DIY modify !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:28   #73
BHPian

Hi Dr Anto,
We recently bought a new soft top and we found out that during the city traffic the car heats up to a very high temperature during the city driving of around 40 minutes and 20 km. The bonnet is so hot that it can burn your hand but the temperature needles stays below the H 3/4 th part. How does your Gypsy perform in city use in hot weather?
Old 21st May 2018, 22:55   #74
BHPian

Replying out of turn -- Gypsies heat up a lot in slow running ... city traffic.

Attaching some pictures of the second row & jump seats, AND seat belts :
Attached Thumbnails
My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-dscn0356a.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-dscn0361a.jpg  

SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:03   #75
BHPian

6 months 7500 km update

Gypsy had completed 6 months of trouble free ownership. Odo stands just under 8000 km mark. I haven't used Gypsy much during last 2 months due to heavy monsoon here in Kerala. All the routine off-road destinations are risky to attempt at this time of the year. So Gypsy (and me) are hibernating for now.

Upgrades:

1. Changed OVRM to Mahindra Bolero make: very cheap and functional

2. Engine Oil and Oil filter changed at FNG at 6000 km ; No particular reason for this but due to my off road adventures , I felt it is better to stick with 5000 km oil change interval. Used Mineral Oil (20W-50).

3. Air filter removed and cleaned. Will change it with 10k service.

4. Still on stock non-radial tires. New shoes are the next upgrade (YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER 215/75/R15)

5. Still Contemplating about whether to go for headlight upgrade to 100/90W with relay or add Hella Auxillary Lights for better visibility during night.

Issues/Dislikes:

1. Squeaking sound from rear leaf springs. It is really annoying . This sound has been there from the beginning but now it got worse. May be due to my Off road use. I have pressure washed leaf springs to remove any muck or slime which has trapped between the springs but still the sound is there.

2. Hate the extremely poor low end torque of Gypsy. I thought I would be at peace with this aspect of Gypsy by now but actually I am getting more and more irritated with this. Heck it is easy to stall Gypsy from standstill if I am not careful with clutch and throttle.

3. Very poor paint quality (as expected). The Paint has started fading around the hard top area and back.

4. The Key is getting bend by opening the fuel lid. It is a small key and very fragile. I have to be extra cautions (so never give key to fuel station guys to open fuel lid) while opening the fuel lid

A few Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-3.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-1.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-4.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-7.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-9.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-6.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-11.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-14.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-5.jpg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-8.jpg