Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 17:05   #76
BHPian

I have been considering and thinking about purchasing a new gypsy to off-road for quite a while but have kept it off. How hard is it to drive ? Ride quality ? Is it easy to install a power steering and AC ?
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 08:06   #77
BHPian

Re: My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I have been considering and thinking about purchasing a new gypsy to off-road for quite a while but have kept it off. How hard is it to drive ? Ride quality ? Is it easy to install a power steering and AC ?

Frankly speaking Buying a new Gypsy is a crazy idea unless

1. You want to use it exclusively for off roading

2. You have beautiful locations/off road destinations within 100-200 km from where you live

3. You are a fan of old school looks and bare bone feel ( I am a fan and I knew I was buying a “vintage” car from the showroom when I bought mine)

4. Your are 100% sure that Mahindra Thar is not your cup of tea

If you satisfy all the above criteria, you can go ahead. Otherwise buy something else brother, Because

1. Ride quality is horrible. I mean you can’t even compare it with anything else. Without load in the back, it just bounces and bounces. You will get tired within an hour or two if you drive it through bad roads (which is the case when you drive to an off road destination). Even old Mahindra Jeeps has got better ride quality than Gypsy.

2. Lack of power steering is a difficult to cope with initially. You need strong biceps to turn the steering from stand still position. On the move it is OKay but still don’t expect it to be light

3. I haven’t installed A/C or power steering and I don’t want to. I live in a Kerala where weather god’s are kind and only during 2-3 months in summer I felt need for A/C. Also I don’t want some jugaad A/C installation to destroy the simplicity and reliability of Gypsy.

I had a Tata Safari 4WD and I had done extensive off roading with it. Now I have taken Gypsy to the same locations. Do you know one thing; now I miss my safari. I was far more comfortable to off road in a Safari( obviously) than in a gypsy. Only advantage with Gypsy is I don’t have to worry about body panel or suspension damage while off roading ( it will cost peanuts to repair Gypsy compared to a safari or Scorpio or fortuner)

My point is don’t under estimate long wheel base body on frame SUV’s. They can get the job done for leisurely off roading without the need for special off road tools like Gypsy/Thar/Jeeps. So think hard before plonking 7.5 lakhs for a fossil era vehicle with
miserable ride quality.

Cheers
DrANTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 08:51   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Frankly speaking Buying a new Gypsy is a crazy idea unless

1. You want to use it exclusively for off roading

2. You have beautiful locations/off road destinations within 100-200 km from where you live

3. You are a fan of old school looks and bare bone feel ( I am a fan and I knew I was buying a “vintage” car from the showroom when I bought mine)

4. Your are 100% sure that Mahindra Thar is not your cup of tea

1. Ride quality is horrible.

3. Also I don’t want some jugaad A/C installation to destroy the simplicity and reliability of Gypsy.

I had a Tata Safari 4WD and I had done extensive off roading with it. Now I have taken Gypsy to the same locations.

My point is don’t under estimate long wheel base body on frame SUV’s. They can get the job done for leisurely off roading without the need for special off road tools like Gypsy/Thar/Jeeps.
Well put Doc, the Gypsy has always been a "heart" vehicle and will continue to remain so. Nobody who's majorly an on-road user can justify buying a Gypsy by any means.

A few points though:

1. Ride can be improved by keeping a load in the back (which is anyway generally vacant) or using CF leaves with better tires and pressures. It wont ride like the Safari (even the Fortuner doesnt do that ) but still...

2. There are reliable air conditioning options for the Gypsy since it shares its engine with other Marutis. You too can go ahead with it if you need it. I've seen no issues with the aircon in the Gypsy if fitted well. The cooling isnt great but helps a lot at least for the front seats.

3. The Gypsy is a vehicle that will go far beyond any BOF SUV due to multiple factors. In an ideal world, you hop off a BOF and get onto the Gypsy to reach your elusive destination. You could join a local offroad club to experience the true potential of the Gypsy, should you wish to.

4. The Gypsy has better ergonomics than the Thar, and is also the better finished, reliable offroader, due to its weight, engine and size.

@Mods: There is a duplicate post in this thread, please delete.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 11:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well put Doc, the Gypsy has always been a "heart" vehicle and will continue to remain so. Nobody who's majorly an on-road user can justify buying a Gypsy by any means.

Agree with all the points. My POV is

1. Yes, Ride can be improved but I just meant that it is miserable in stock form. Also I am not keen on CFL's.

2. Nothing can touch a Gypsy in hardcore off road situations but how many of us does that? For a recreational purpose off roading Gypsy is an overkill. If someone is not keen on OTR/ competitions (for example myself), a body on frame SUV will do the job 90% of the time at 300% comfort compared to Gypsy.

3. Gypsy as an overlanding/touring vehicle is a bitter pill to swallow. If you are used to travelling in cars you will get tired soon. So it is not for everyone.

4. A used Pajero SFX at 6-7 lakhs will be a better option for an urban dwellers IMHO.Comfortable/Capable/reliable and relatively cheap to buy and own

PS: I know a lot of Gypsy "fans" who say it is their dream to own one. But a few of those kind of people after driving my Gypsy were totally disappointed.There is HUGE difference between dream and reality. Gypsy is not for everyone and it is only for the passionate one.

BTW I love my Gypsy and enjoy every moment with it.
DrANTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 15:07   #80
BHPian

Update:

Currently at 11000 km mark; done a fair bit of off roading recently. Unfortunately do not have photos because it is very difficult to take them when you are driving/off roading solo. Also,Now a days I prefer to enjoy the moment rather than try to capture it

Gypsy at its natural habitat

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-2.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-3.jpg

Service @10k interval pending; Since I have changed engine oil and cleaned Air filter at 6000 km , decided to push the service interval up to 11000km. Also Since Gypsy is my project/DIY tutorial vehicle, I inspect,open,refit many parts regularly just for the heck of it with the strong conviction that it is a basic vehicle with nothing much to go wrong. Gypsy will be sent for periodic service next week to my FNG instead of MASS because I can oversee/ensure how the work is done. I don't care about the one-year warranty that Maruti provides which is going to expire in the next 2 months.

Thanks to my friend Aditya Bose, I got gold of Maruti gypsy Workshop Manual. So DIY work will be more easy now with the help of the workshop manual. For the time being, I am not going to disclose how to procure these; But will definitely share the details after a couple of weeks.

Part number for the manual are

Gypsy main service manual 99500M80303-74E

SUPP. Service manual Gypsy BSIV 99510M82C20-74E

SUPP. Service Manual Gypsy king MPI 99510M82C03-74E

Wiring diagram manual MG413W MPI 99512M82C00-74E

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-4.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-5.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-6.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-7.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-8.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-1.jpg

Next update will be about the long-pending Tyre upgrade
DrANTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:24   #81
BHPian

Dear Dr. ANTO,

I will be waiting, those two weeks !
For six years I have been running my March 2011 Gypsy King BS4 with a non-functional RPM meter, with no clues to how/where to connect it. Nobody in Greater Calcutta seems to know more than me, that is, in earlier models with an ignition coil, you connected it there ! One accessory fitter had the bright idea of connecting it to the alternator, but that did not work ! Later my research revealed why -- your alternator has to have three output points(+ve,-ve & RPM) -- but Gypsy has only two !
Even the TBHP thread on this subject was not of much help !

Another electrician came up with the idea of connecting the rev counter to the flywheel sensor, but for that one has to be sure of the wiring.
Hence, I will have to wait and keep hoping that the "Wiring Diagram Manual" is easily obtainable !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 02:06   #82
BHPian

Lovely thread! The Gypsy holds deep memories for me, we had one in the early 90's when I was a little boy, and my dad would take me out for a drive in the evenings to the Mumbai domestic airport - back in those days you could easily view the tarmac and aircrafts from the elevated road of the elevated terminal entrance! So thank you for that!

Glad to see you enjoy your beauty. I know you said none, but one year on do you have any mods planned?

I was in Ranthambore a few months ago and was mesmerised by their stunningly maintained - forest green Gypsy's. Overtime I see one my heart takes over my mind and makes me want to get one for old times sake.

Last edited by Porcupine : 4th October 2018 at 02:15.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 09:54   #83
BHPian

I bought a new gypsy in May 2016 for all reasons mentioned above.

I stay in Madurai but have a farmhouse in Kodaikanal with no roads. the path to it is full of boulders. So I need full 4wd for 20 minutes over distance of 2km.

Every time I reach my farmhouse I freeze with fear looking at the path.But gypsy hasnt failed me even once. I was a novice before buying the gypsy.

However in Madurai it’s tough to drive in 33 Deg heat and really bad suspension.but I don’t mind since it takes me to my farmhouse where very few suvs can go.

Also I have a sedan for my family.
shyamkrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 13:34   #84
BHPian

update : 16000 km

My Dinosaur has been munching miles merrily during last 2-3 months.During December-January months when the mercury has dropped, Gypsy was my daily drive for a couple weeks. Multiple small Off Road drives completed during last 6 months and all is well with the Gypsy and me.

Major incidents during last 6 months

1. Tyre Upgrade : Continental Cross Contact AT 215/75/R15

After procrastinating for 10 months finally took the plunge and changed my tires [five of them] to Continentals. Only three options considered for the tire change

A. Yokohama Geolander AT
B.Continental Cross Contact AT
C.MRF Wanderer AT

I have a soft spot for Continental Cross Contact tires [ after drooling over them in distinguished Bhpian Tejas's Pajero thread]. So decision was easy and I changed my tires in November 2018.

price 6000/- each [total damage 30000/-]

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-11.jpg

Aren't they beautiful

one word review: these tires are AWESOME. On road and off road performance is simply brilliant. They look good also.

2. Auxillary lights : Hella Comet 500FF

Bought these from Amazon for 4800 for a pair. Actually I didn't do any research on these before buying; it was an impulsive buy

verdict : average light output only; more of a cosmetic upgrade than functional upgrade

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-13.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-12.jpg

3. Head lamp upgrade; changed bulbs to 100/90W with relay

significant improvement in night time driving. 1500 rupees well spent.

4. OFF road excursions:

Urumbikkara [ a favourite off road destination in Central Kerala] off roading was a cake walk for my Gypsy. I was pretty impressed with my ride and its shoes. never once it showed any sign of fatigue. I deliberately took the worst road to Urumbikkara [ which is 5-6 kilometer of non-existent roads] just for the heck of it. Even though there are easier options/routes to reach there I just wanted to take the road less traveled. Wonderful place and awesome experience

en route to Urumbikkara

I don't want to elaborate on other small off road destinations [because i am lazy to type]. A lot of places in my neighborhood requires a 4WD capable vehicle to travel. Also done a fair bit of off roading in our paddy fields after the harvest.

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-7.jpg

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-10.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st March 2019 at 17:07. Reason: As per reported post :)
DrANTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:55   #85
BHPian

Updating thread after one year hiatus

During last 14 months my dinosaur has covered 7000km and I enjoyed every single kilometer of my Gypsy life. This is a special vehicle which evokes a sense of pride/nostalgia and passion inside me. My Journey with Gypsy has been trouble free so far and nothing unusual to report here

I have serviced Gypsy at FNG in March 2020 and it was a regular service with just Fluids/filter change and break overhauling. Service cost was 3000 rupees.

I haven't taken out Gypsy during March/April/May due to summer season and Lockdown in our country. It was doing only some 50 odd kilometer/per month just to keep the battery charged. Also March-May is the hibernation period for Gypsy every year and Monsoon season is the time when I start using the vehicle extensively.

This year I haven't done any major off road excursions due to COVID-19 situation except for some small trail driving in my property. I am waiting for the situation to improve so that I can enjoy my car to the fullest.

Gypsy engine and gearbox are butter smooth now. Till about 10000 km both were feeling tight and now it is an absolute delight to use. I am getting good fuel efficiency also from G13 engine in regular usage - about 14-15 kmpl which is better than my K12 engine powered Maruti Ritz.

Odometer reading is at 23000 km now. Next update will be after crossing 30000 km

Off topic: as a companion to my G13 engine powered Gypsy , I acquired a Suzuki Baleno Altura recently [ G16 engine] - Ownership review is coming up soon
Attached Thumbnails

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-2.jpg  

DrANTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I learned and lived with the F10D Estilo until I got a job in 2015 and bought myself a pre-worshiped G10B Zen with 55k km's on the ODO, which was nothing short of bliss.
I learnt driving in a G10B Zen and my first car was a Zen Estilo 2007 which I drove for 90000Kms in 13 years. It was a perfect city car and miss its compact dimensions as I have a SX4 too. The engine was good and it had a powerful AC and loved the driving position. Many folks would agree with me. I plan to buy a pre-owned Gypsy in future.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd July 2022 at 16:37. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags
Old 8th December 2021, 21:10   #87
BHPian

4 year update:

Gypsy has crossed 30000km. It is used only for off roading or leisure trips during weekends. So far very happy with the vehicle and it’s capabilities.

No niggles or reliability issues so far. I have done numerous off road drives during last year and Gypsy had never let me down. Really proud of my ride. I still believe that buying this vehicle brand new when I had the chance is the best decision I have done in my life.

Now at 30k on odometer- I feel that Gypsy has completed it’s running in. Engine and gearbox feels very smooth and I can feel the difference. During First 10-15k kilometers, gear box had some stiffness and engine felt like bit tight. Now both feel butter smooth.

I get around 14-15 km/L fuel efficiency during my drives and very impressed with this fuel efficiency.

Only negative point about Gypsy which I am still not able to get over is the terribly ride quality especially during off road/ trail driving. Mahindra Jeep has a real advantage here over the Gypsy. Gypsy’s suspension is not for the faint hearted

My vehicle is full stock except for All terrain tyres and Hella fogs. I am planning to keep it stock and I don’t need any modifications for my intended purpose with this vehicle

I am planning to drive it more next year. During last 3 years I have driven it on average 5000-7000km per year because I don’t use it for regular commute anymore. It is like a toy for me so that I can drive it and unwind on a lazy weekend. My yearly driving is approximately 45000 km per year of which 35000 km is done on my Crysta and rest is shared among Gypsy/Ritz and Baleno Altura station wagon.

Service charges and maintenance are dirt cheap and nothing goes wrong with this vehicle. Since it has leaf spring suspension all around, I do apply some oil to springs to reduce the squeaking noise sometimes. That is the only preventive maintenance I do with my ride- otherwise it is the poster child for “ fill it/ shut it and forget it” mantra

A few pictures of my ride taken during a recent drive.
Attached Thumbnails
My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-f83989e47ab148c38cba82a24f797d78.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-395168b3bdb2422abd6e6b9270b3af15.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-230064067bbe40ee85c35408ef60b39c.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-4537b838519e4573b9c062d4728f30fa.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-e735d5c97e074010bd595caa325629f2.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-de05d21c9a66429eace824b3d14a111a.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-8fe824fb0dc74be5b82303de84a085b4.jpeg  

My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King-6699f7ba1acd4b9592d55ad202a98223.jpeg  

DrANTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 22:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
4 year update:

A few pictures of my ride taken during a recent drive.
Sir you are a very lucky person owning it. 14-15 Kmpl is an incredible number for a Gypsy. No wonder you have kept it fantastically. A Gypsy in the right hands can last ages. Cheers for the years and your updates on TBHP to come!
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks