Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 22:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

vivekkr,
the Verna seems to be safer on paper but i just feel more secure in the fiesta.
It feels really stable at high speeds wheras i have read that there are some issues about the Verna's high speed stability.
cheers
Old 8th December 2006, 23:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta doors closes with a very reassuring thud.

Drivers point of view i think Fiesta has a slight win over verna as it has a more precise steering and gear box is the best. Fiestas high speed stability has never been issue to anyone, whereas as said by lamborghini there are some high speed handling issued with Verna. And i think power is not a concers if a car is driver oriented or not.

But if you feel that power is a concern then Ford is coming out with Fiesta 1.6 TDCi in 2007.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
Is Fiesta more safe compared to Verna? What are the additional safety features in Fiesta? I thought safety-wise both cars were of the same league.
Regarding comfort, I have gone through reviews recommening Fiesta for city driving and Verna for highway driving. From a drivers point of view, which is a better car?
Old 9th December 2006, 00:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... considering that so many BHPians feel that the TDCi's clutch is not so heavy and that gear changer is smooth I guess we will need to revisit this issue if possible once more. Maybe with the Modi Ford this time. Though I doubt my friend will be any more inclined to try out the Fiesta once again. He is mighty pissed of about the last experience.

To be truthful my initial notion when I sat inside the first time was that the car will be very refined in every department but for the slouchy engine. So I was pretty jolted to find that unrefined gear (every slotting made a distinctive khatak sound, and took some effort). Even that probably would have been ok but the clutch was so heavy that I could not help it.

The salesguy (and the girl) was though saying repetitively that it was a test drive car and is not in the best of health. But then why bring such a car to close a 0.8million+ deal?!! Least you will expect from them is to keep their own TD car in the pink of health. Or so I thought...
Old 9th December 2006, 01:12   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I just parked my Petra next to City and realized there was hardly any difference in overall lengths of the cars. If at all there is any difference it would hardly be an inch.
Hmmm... actually, it is difficult to say whether you can call it misleading but these figures definitely come with a rider. Normally you would have seen the cars from the side and looked from the edges of the bonnet to the edges of the boot and felt that there is hardly much difference in length. In a way you are right as well.

But then manufacturers or rather the industry bodies and the certification authorities look at the things from a different perspective. For them it is the distance between the two farthest end of the car that defines the length. For all practical purposes that amounts to a overhang because of a jutting out rear bumper or the rakish front... In fact if you look at the City its rear bumper is jutting massively out of the line of the boot.

Its much like the builders who sell you a flat with 1300sqft super built-up floor space... Only when you enter the flat that you realize the actual meaningful space is probably just about 900sqft.
Old 11th December 2006, 12:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm... considering that so many BHPians feel that the TDCi's clutch is not so heavy and that gear changer is smooth I guess we will need to revisit this issue if possible once more. Maybe with the Modi Ford this time. Though I doubt my friend will be any more inclined to try out the Fiesta once again. He is mighty pissed of about the last experience.
I had visited the Cauvery ford outlet here in Bangalore to get my 2 month old Ikon a check up in preparation for a long trip i would be undertaking soon enough. Being on pretty good terms with the staff there, i was literally offered a Fiesta to take out on a test drive. As i was not particular on it being a diesel or a petrol, was given the 1.6 Petrol version, the Zxi. The car had done about 28K, and in the words of the sales staff, it was a literally abused car. The clutch felt kinda hard, while the gear shifts were real smooth. It was pointed out that this was mainly because this car has been subjected to extreme tests as well as rough use by various people, and not regaularly maintained. Took it out on the new highway connecting Kanakpura road to Mysore road, and ripped it to hell. The sales guy had no issues with me doing the same, which may also stem from the fact that we had struck up a good rapport, and i was also a customer. The car touched 110 kmph plus in no time, and thats when i felt the steering begin to shudder. The same reason was pointed out. Tried the straight line braking ability from these speeds, and was impressed.

While this thread is mainly about the TDCi version, just an addition with regards to the Fiesta clutch and gearbox in general.
Old 11th December 2006, 23:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The clutch felt kinda hard, while the gear shifts were real smooth. It was pointed out that this was mainly because this car has been subjected to extreme tests as well as rough use by various people, and not regaularly maintained... The car touched 110 kmph plus in no time, and thats when i felt the steering begin to shudder. The same reason was pointed out. Tried the straight line braking ability from these speeds, and was impressed.

While this thread is mainly about the TDCi version, just an addition with regards to the Fiesta clutch and gearbox in general.
I tested the TDCi which had hardly done some 5k+ and yet I also got the same feeling, as I said earlier. I doubt whether it has anything to do with abuse or these are really the characteristic traits of the Fiesta.

The ability to hold the line is definitely impressive though.
Old 12th December 2006, 00:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

This comparo is a tough one on two counts:

a. Which one is a better drivers cars?

The ford has the handling & steering package but the Verna gets one up on the Fiesta because of its engine. No clear winner for the drivers car.

b. Which one would make a better family car?

Verna is a bit more spacious but the Ford scores on the refinement factor.

For a small family, I would suggest the Fiesta and the Verna for thrill seekers who dont mind the dirty fuel.
Old 12th December 2006, 20:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Test drove Verna Petrol today.

1) While it's quite smooth and refined engine, gear shift is definitely not good (Somehow, I am paranoid about gear shifts). It feels vague and that notchy feel, when gear slots in, is missing mostly. Does anyone feel same way or, it is just me?

2) Didn't like the feel of steering. It felt too plasticy and light for my taste. Brakes had good bite though (as usual on all Hyundais).

Last edited by RX135 : 12th December 2006 at 20:39.
Old 12th December 2006, 22:28   #24
BHPian

Surprising to hear that the fiesta's gear shift is bad and about the clutch too. Except the fact that the gear stick is long and travels little more the shift as such is smooth. My car has run 18000 kms and it is as smooth as when it was new.

The clutch pedal one of the best, if not the best, from what i have seen in cars. It might feel heavy for few people but it doesnt feel too soft nor too hard. I have seen many lighter ones like in Swift, Santro and they are too light and jerky to my liking. Fiesta's is not a wire based clutch, it is hydraulic I heard.

I did not test drive the verna yet. But I sat inside and checked the space. I felt like it is a small car and particularly the driver's seat travel was not enough for me to sit as comfortable as the fiesta. I am 179 cms tall. I am so obsessed with the comfort in the fiesta that I dont even favor any other car in this aspect in the same segment (never tried an optra though).
Old 12th December 2006, 23:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I did not test drive the verna yet. But I sat inside and checked the space. I felt like it is a small car and particularly the driver's seat travel was not enough for me to sit as comfortable as the fiesta. I am 179 cms tall.
ahem... you felt compared to the Fiesta the Verna is a small car?!!
Old 13th December 2006, 09:43   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Surprising to hear that the fiesta's gear shift is bad and about the clutch too. Except the fact that the gear stick is long and travels little more the shift as such is smooth.
I test drove the pertol Fiesta and was impressed with the gear shift quality. The clutch felt hard, but the staff told me that it was mainly coz the vehicle wasnt properly mainteined (odo showed 28K plues kms).
Old 13th December 2006, 10:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Test drove Verna Petrol today.

1) While it's quite smooth and refined engine, gear shift is definitely not good (Somehow, I am paranoid about gear shifts). It feels vague and that notchy feel, when gear slots in, is missing mostly. Does anyone feel same way or, it is just me?
I know why you are saying this. After getting used to Petra's ultra smooth but long-throw gear shift, Verna's short throws will appear vague.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:57   #28

Just bough Verna CRDI choosing it among Honda City and Fiesta. Regarding the noice levels in the cabin, they are not noticable unless very attentive.
Old 29th December 2006, 09:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

for the high speed stabilyty issue,hyundai has come out with fatter tyres -195 50 r14.-hope that satisfies all .
ram
Old 29th December 2006, 09:39   #30
BHPian

I own a Fiesta TDCi,now done 18000 KM on the ODO,and the clutch was relatively tight from day one !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks