Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 00:58   #46
BHPian

Took it out for a test drive today - one thing that no one else has mentioned is that the power steering is really really nice! The pickup was also decent (for the segment). And surprisingly it is roomy - as in there is very decent leg-space but yes, 5 adults cannot fit.

The way I see it is that build quality and finish is poor for much of the interior, but that is the trade-off for having better FE + cheaper repairs.

The biggest flaw in this car is the gears. The stick is quite unpleasant, and the 'grooves' are not well defined. When I first took it out, I put it in 3rd gear instead of 1st, and did not even notice. Then to take it from 4th to 5th you have to 'tug' the gear stick towards you and push up - fairly unpleasant considering the speed you would be going at when you need to engage the 5th gear.

Even if it meant paying a few thousand more, I would rather that Maruti fix this problem, because with a good gear-stick this would be good value for money for it's segment.
Old 27th June 2007, 14:27   #47

Veb,

I agree on the interiors bit and the power steering. The car is a sheer joy. And I hit all of 40-50 kph in the first gear by redlining it - the car had excellent breaks (test VXi with ~500 on odo)

To me, biggest flaw was interior space. Seemed like a tricked out Alto - better, spacoious seats but four adults just about fit. Don't try to move either The space looked more than it actually was. Or maybe I'm biased (we got an Indica in the house - takes five oversize people well )
Old 27th June 2007, 22:12   #48

I am not a big fan of the estilo looks. Had a chance to check it out over the weekend. Interiors feel cramped for space. Didn't like the ride either. Would prefer the Wagon R over the new Zen.
Old 4th July 2007, 13:32   #49
BHPian

Of course, whether or not you like the looks is totally subjective. Somehow on forums such as this people are very critical of its looks. I think it looks quite awesome, and IMHO it looks better than the Swift. (Stock model that is, a little mod to the swift and it looks totally kickass). What I also like is that the Estilo has dramatic 'mood' changes with the colour of the paint. The normal red, and the new purple etc. make it looks somewhat sporty / funky etc. But the same car in champagne-beige looks very elegant and formal.

But as I said that's totally subjective.

I haven't ridden in a WagonR recently but I don't think there is very much space difference between the two. Someone on their blog also mentioned that inch for inch the rear seat in both cars is almost of the same width. (sorry can't find the link). And yes, while it would have been nice for 5 people to fit, no car is perfect. (btw do 5 people fit comfortably in the WagonR?)
Old 20th August 2007, 00:26   #50
BHPian

Estilo driven after driving Spark

Having never considered the Estilo during my purchase I find it diffcult to answere when asked by prospective buyers the difference between the Estilo and the Spark as both are more or less in the same segment and cute (depends on which side you are) looks.

So went for a TD today. Dealership was empty and had two enthusiastic sales reps to show me the car. Had my cousin along whose knowledge about cars begins and ends with the Ambassador, Maruti 800, Esteem. Every other car she sees resembles either one of the above 3. Took her as she has been in the passenger seat of the Sparky frequently.

So the Estilo.. She was not impressed with its looks - that is anyway subjective.

Seats - I found them comfortable compared to the Spark. Longer squabs for better under thigh support. The beige interiors gives a bright look compared to Spark's dark interiors. Started the car. Loud engine.. being used to the Sparks quiet engine both of us felt so. Slotted into gear.. Spark felt and shifted better.the sales guy said that it was a TD car so after rough usage the shift becomes like this.. Initial pick up better than the Spark is what I felt. BUt at higher revs I find the SPark more repsonsive.

Handling.. didnt have much chance to throw it around so cannot comment. Ride quality.. well it was not refined like the Spark. My cousin also felt that the ride was better in the Spark though she couldnt say why.. It was not bad but compared to the Spark I felt the Spark was better.

Rear leg space - decent but when the front seats are pushed fully back your legs get crushed. Not so with the Spark. Boot space - definitely bigger than the Spark and the rear seat can be folded down with the press of a button through the boot itself unlike the Spark where you have to open the rear door and do a 2 step process..

So thats about it.. the Estilo scores on initial accelaration, seat comfort and boot space.. while the Spark was on driveability, handling (cant say about the estilo here) and ride quality.A.S.S, FE etc are other factors one has to ofcourse consider over and above this..
Old 20th August 2007, 00:49   #51
Team-BHP Support

Nice report Nimz!

I feel the biggest blunder that Maruti did was with the colours on the Estilo. Had it not been for the pink estilo, many would have considered it.
Old 26th August 2007, 04:02   #52
BHPian

test drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Having never considered the Estilo during my purchase I find it diffcult to answere when asked by prospective buyers the difference between the Estilo and the Spark as both are more or less in the same segment and cute (depends on which side you are) looks.

So went for a TD today. Dealership was empty and had two enthusiastic sales reps to show me the car. ..

no other place to ask this question - so i put it here, although it's also been posted in a rather inconspicuous nook of the forum.

i was just curious. having once visited a showroom for a TD of a car, perhaps one would be unwelcome the next time he visits, say, after a new model release. natural, as dealers wouldn't encourage mere jolly ride-seekers. totally understandable, this.

but i find so many t-bhp guys test driving almost every new release. i'm just curious as to how they manage to do that, unless they know somone at the dealer's.
Old 27th August 2007, 10:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
but i find so many t-bhp guys test driving almost every new release. i'm just curious as to how they manage to do that, unless they know somone at the dealer's.
Obviously those dealers know that every one goes to TBHP (test drivers) for advice
On a serious note, I have not seen dealers worried about the fact that people test driving might not buy it.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
On a serious note, I have not seen dealers worried about the fact that people test driving might not buy it.
it's not that dealers would mind test drives, but you can't go posing as a buyer for an aveo first, and then for a magnum a few months later... it's very obviously established that you're there for a free ride and little else, right?

even if dealers don't mind giving out test drives without clinching a deal, they might not entertain ppl who come for entertainment.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

ya definetely

that pink/purple kind of color is far too feminine and dont like men driving that

anyways never liked zen estilo

wish maruti cud have stuck to the old model
Old 31st October 2011, 22:25   #56
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo - First Impressions

Do we have Test Drive or Owner Ship review of New Zen Estilo with K10 Engine. I searched a lot but could not find any ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks