Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 17:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Driven: Volvo XC60

Lovely review! Maybe it's because of the freshness of the design, or just the fact that the german trio are a very common sight on our roads, but's there's something very appealing about the new gen gen volvos. I love the interiors and the class leading safety features as well - that roll over test made it look like it was made of solid aluminium! Definitely worthy of at least making the shortlist when someone is shopping in this price range.
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 17:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Rear seats are basic. No side airbags (not expected in this segment?), no recline, no remote, etc.
The SPA platform is apparently so stiff that the B/C/D pillars will not get crushed even in case of a rollover (can be seen in the crash test video above). Unlike the Germans, Volvo fits laminated glass all round that doesn't shatter and hurt passengers in the event of a crash in every car produced right now. Due to this rear curtain airbags are deemed unnecessary on the new platform.

The rear curtain airbags are present in my V40 which is based on the older platform. So it is obvious that some serious thought has gone into improving structural rigidity before deleting the rear curtain airbags.
reignofchaos is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 19:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
For others, you have to get past the over assisted steering and mentally prepare yourself for the driverless future.
Wow, perfectly mirrored my thought process while reading this review. Volvo has been at forefront of changing the definition of car itself. From electric drive train to driving autonomy, they want to take the enthusiast out of us. And I hate them for that.

But, this car is really good. Credit where it's due. It's very safe, provides good isolation and has lot of grunt for Indian conditions. Not to mention it looks properly posh. For a regular customer, I'd recommend this car over the competition. The electronic aids are very much needed in the idiotic Indian conditions.

And that's where the problem lies with a person like me. There are simply way too many interventions to actually enjoy this car. Which is why I'd prefer the X3 with the mental 6 cylinder engine.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 21st February 2018 at 19:36.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am told the demo car has some performance (polestar?) update.
Yes it does, and there is a noticeable difference with the Polestar remap. I took a test drive of the XC60 a few weeks back, when the car arrived I had noticed the Polestar badge on the tailgate but did not bother to ask the SA about it during the test drive. Since the XC60 has a bit of a waiting period the SA suggested I look at the V90 Cross Country, which basically has the same engine, features etc and they had big discounts on it. So, I told the SA to get the V90 Cross Country the next day. As soon as I started driving the car, something just didn't feel right. The engine and gearbox did not feel as responsive as the XC60 (now I do realise that the V90 is a bigger car than the XC60 but the difference in performance should not be significant) and I was a bit disappointed with the way the gearbox was hesitating to downshift in the V90. When I told the SA about this, only then did he mention that the XC60 has a Polestar remap which apparently bumps up the power by 10Bhp and torque by 20Nm. It also changes the engine and gearbox responsiveness. The cost for the remap is 1lac . All the while during the XC60 test drive I was under the impression that it is in stock form and came away pretty impressed only to be disappointed the next day.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th February 2018 at 15:16. Reason: As reported.
ROG_AK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:15   #20
BHPian

Great review ! I’m very happy to see increased Volvo representation on the tbhp forums :-)

I own the v40 and the s60cc, I’m finding it very hard to look outside the Volvo stable these days. Some truly compelling models on offer with a great pipeline of things to come.
reihem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
boring auto box stick wrapped in leather. This is one of those bits (apart from the switches on the dash for boot opening and display brightness) that looks out of place in an otherwise classy cabin. Too ordinary a design, if you ask me.

The next gen Volvo Cars with hybrid technology (read: drive by wire) will have this kind of gear lever. It lights up from within. Looks damn cool if you ask me.Driven: Volvo XC60-volvogearlever.jpg
rangakishen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
The next gen Volvo Cars with hybrid technology (read: drive by wire) will have this kind of gear lever. It lights up from within. Looks damn cool if you ask me.
This is the gear lever of the current gen hybrid T8 variant.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is the gear lever of the current gen hybrid T8 variant.
Yes it is currently used in T8 variant. It is also used in the new XC40s which have DBW. Which is why I mentioned next gen Volvos which will most likely be DBW (owing to the hybridization).
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 23:20   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2018 at 09:42.
suku_patel_22 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:30   #25
BHPian

Driven: Volvo XC60

Superb review as usual!

I had a chance to test the XC60 in pune. The pricing is perfect for a CBU and car is just way ahead than its competitors. That 4 cylinder engine is more than adequate for the car if not punchy. I don’t see any reason to pick other cars in that segment as new Audi Q5 has nothing to offer other than ‘Audi’ badge and BMW X3 is almost in its last phase. XC60’s interiors, build quality, music system, electronics on offer are just mind blowing. My dad loved the interior wood trim. The only two shortcoming in XC60 are, the rear seat which I found to be a bit more upright than usual and ride quality which is not pillowy as XC90.

As per my choice, I liked the way XC60’ looks but I just loved the XC90. 90 has an upright stance which I prefer while the 60 is a more roundish. Nonetheless a good product by Volvo!
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volvo XC60-99407406b61e4b799dfe1bd8f07ac6ce.jpeg  

Last edited by ShubhamGhute : 22nd February 2018 at 09:44.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:26   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
And that's where the problem lies with a person like me. There are simply way too many interventions to actually enjoy this car. Which is why I'd prefer the X3 with the mental 6 cylinder engine.
Not really a) all these interventions can be turned off b) it just takes few hours and then you will actually start enjoying the convenience.

Quote:
I am told the demo car has some performance (polestar?) update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Yes it does, and there is a noticeable difference with the Polestar remap.
Quiet surprised, why would they do that? The car on stock map is pretty good why run a remap and confuse potential customer. Or are they trying to market the remap along with the purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
The next gen Volvo Cars with hybrid technology (read: drive by wire) will have this kind of gear lever. It lights up from within. Looks damn cool if you ask me.Attachment 1733789
Yes this is pretty neat stuff that would be coming our way, i so look forward to trying out these hybrids. How the already potent car would be then? Should be real interesting, much more entertaining than any remaps i guess.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
[b][center]
Lane-keeping Aid:
The radars keep reading the markings and will interrupt with a small judder on the steering wheel if the vehicle is moving out of the lane it is travelling in.
Small correction. Camera is used to read the lane marking.

X-by-wire systems have been in the market for quite a while now. However, the only major and successful application of this system is in the accelerator pedal. Physical linkages that connected accelerator pedal and the engine are now replaced by sensors.

The biggest disadvantage of X-by-wire systems is that they often do not replicate the feel of the conventional systems that it replaces. Like for eg. Electric power steering systems will not be able to give the drivers the feel of using a hydraulic steering system.

In the early 2000’s, Mercedes had launched a new type of electrically actuated brake (brake-by-wire) system. After the launch, complaints started pouring in from its customers regarding undesirable braking response. Mercedes had stopped offering brake-by-wire systems and they rolled back to conventional hydraulic system.
katchkamalesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:06   #28
BHPian

Great review! I love the way Volvo has turned itself completely around (Financially and in terms of design) from being too conservative and borderline boring to gorgeous and very modern.

I sold my 2012 Audi TT and was looking to get a good SUV. Checked everything from the Mercedes GLC, BMW X1 M Sport, Audi Q7 to the Land Rover Discovery Sport but my heart was set on the Volvo. I finally booked the new XC60 in Crystal White with Maroon Brown Interiors and, as per the dealer, the shipment arrives on 27th Feb. Hopefully should have my car by 10th March. Will post a detailed review on the same once I get my car!
CLS_55_AMG is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 07:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Yes it does, and there is a noticeable difference with the Polestar remap.
The car I test drove didn't have the Polestar Performance Optimisation, or at least that is what the sales guy told me. I didn't see the Polestar badge at the back of the car either but they could simply have not put it. I did enquire about the price for the Polestar upgrade and it costs 1.3 lacs . While it doesn't really bump up the power & torque numbers by much, from what I have been reading, the throttle response and gear shifts are supposed to get a lot sharper, changing the character of the car. But 1.3 lacs?? I mean, it's just a software remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_55_AMG View Post
I finally booked the new XC60 in Crystal White with Maroon Brown Interiors and, as per the dealer, the shipment arrives on 27th Feb. Hopefully should have my car by 10th March. Will post a detailed review on the same once I get my car!
Congratulations on booking the car. My dealer told me that I should be getting the car somewhere around the end of Feb, although he hasn't confirmed a date yet, so more or less around the same time you should be getting your car. Was Crystal White your first choice of colour? I wanted the Pine Gray but owing to the huge demand for that colour, the dealer told me to pick another colour. Went with Onyx Black.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Quiet surprised, why would they do that? The car on stock map is pretty good why run a remap and confuse potential customer. Or are they trying to market the remap along with the purchase?
It's a marketing tactic most probably. Taking my own case as an example, if I buy a Volvo then I would definitely get the remap (despite the exorbitant cost). As they say, once you have a taste of something better why go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
The car I test drove didn't have the Polestar Performance Optimisation, or at least that is what the sales guy told me. I didn't see the Polestar badge at the back of the car either but they could simply have not put it.
Take a test drive of a car with the remap and notice the difference

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks