Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 12:47   #16
BHPian

Re: AJ's saga of a pre-worshipped Honda Brio VX AT : An Ownership Thread

Wow! What a wonderful thread to start a day. It is because even we own a 5 year Honda Brio S MT. And what a coincidence, even I was thinking to write a short and sweet review on the Honda’s lost charm. The Brio.

I agree with every point of yours. We love our car. We do not feel like selling it. It’s just so smooth and refined. A beautiful car. It may be old school. But the driving experience is unmatched from any other car.
And even now there are no rattles and squeaks.

AJ's saga of a pre-worshipped Honda Brio VX AT : An Ownership Thread-13a00bc7aa8a4cb1a48d539e811a6a21.jpeg
AJ's saga of a pre-worshipped Honda Brio VX AT : An Ownership Thread-67e4b32528084cd79d708118c6737d42.jpeg

Upgrades:
1. 15-inch wheels and alloys from Honda city
2. Green tint
3. Interior ambient lighting.
4. Front lip spoiler.
5. A Pioneer Subwoofer in the boot.
5. Of course Team-bhp stickers on front doors and windscreen.

I don’t like over modifying my car.
Happy motoring.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st March 2020 at 12:06. Reason: Formatting.
Vasanth is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 14:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great small city car. Btw putting seat covers will not prevent the OE seats from Stains - Just that we don't get to see it until its inevitable.

Better to clean the seats as and when they get dirty

Congrats on the purchase
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 17:00   #18
BHPian

Excellent write up!
I have always loved the Brio because of it's powerful engine and quirky looks and you have made it look even better by putting those sporty rims.
Wishing you lakhs of hassle free miles with this cute Honda!
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 01:13   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your sensible purchase

Few questions on the air filter - why did you pick BMC over K&N? How do you clean the air filter?
ank.nsit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 10:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
It is sad that HONDA discontinued the BRIO in 2019.

Hoping for good times ahead and sharing a happy snap of the BRIO to bring this thread live on the Forum !
Congratulations on your pre-owned BRIO. I own a BRIO VX AT as well and my car is 1 year younger than yours, used in a similar very low mileage manner. The fuel efficiency is erratic as it is very sensitive to throttle input and traffic. We get an average of 9-10 in the city and i have got about a 14-15 on the highway which could be considered less for a small car but if you see the original reviews on autocar india back from when the car was launched it had a major difference between the manual and the AT in terms of fuel efficiency. In any case i dont think fuel efficiency is the only criteria when buying a car but thought i would speak on it .

The pros of the car are:
1. its go kart like driving manners and even on the highway being a small car, it drives like a slightly bigger car due to wide dimensions.
2. Ease of maintenance and reliability. Havent had any issues in the car except i had to just repaint half the car due to dings and dangs picked up by the car in city traffic.
3. In JD Power it was regarded as the most reliable car for a period of 3-4 years when Honda sold it and had the least problems year after year.

If youre gonna keep the car i would recommend getting the spoiler fitted, just enhances the look and the center arm rest fitted as well as its very convenient to place your hand while driving an AT.

Yes it is indeed sad that Honda discontinued it, they shouldve in my opinion updated it with the rear wiper and washer, given it more structural integrity and crash worthiness and maybe even a better engine and gearbox and updated to BS6 norms but internationally they changed the model. The new model internationally does not have the same emotional appeal as this gen BRIO sadly, it looks like just another small hatchback.

Last edited by M00M : 31st March 2020 at 10:27.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Now, you may ask why not a Honda Service Centre and why a local garage. The issue was that the car was having a 3rd party insurance which we did not change after purchasing it. That means No Insurance Claim was possible

The car did not have a comprehensive insurance, but Eshita had already got the issue covered ! The Innova driver had got off his car and apologized to her. She in turn took away the Innova Keys and asked the driver for the papers of the car.
Do you have it now ?. IMHO, I think its not a good idea to drive a vehicle without a comprehensive insurance. Given how much forum-members like their cars.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:25   #22
BHPian

Belated congratulations on your purchase!
In depressing times like these, your write-up was like a breath of fresh air. Made me forget about the sense of impending doom for a while. New travelogues are dearly missed due to the lockdown.
I too am considering a pre-owned Brio AT for my sister. Your ownership review has further cemented the Brio as a worthy contender.
Wish you many safe and joyous miles!
hmansari
hmansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Wow! What a wonderful thread to start a day. A beautiful car. It may be old school. But the driving experience is unmatched from any other car. And even now there are no rattles and squeaks.

Upgrades:
1. 15-inch wheels and alloys from Honda city
Thanks Vasanth ! The BRIO is indeed a fabulous car overall. Wish you endless miles too on yours. You ride is looking gorgeous with those 15" Honda City Alloy Wheels. Has there been any noticeable difference in the ride quality with this upgrade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Btw putting seat covers will not prevent the OE seats from Stains - Just that we don't get to see it until its inevitable. Better to clean the seats as and when they get dirty
Thanks headers ! Will be going in for an all black seat cover. Till the time the stains are not seen, I will live with it. Cannot carry on spending a fortune in getting the seats cleaned on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Congrats on your sensible purchase Few questions on the air filter - why did you pick BMC over K&N? How do you clean the air filter?
Thanks ank.nsit ! I have been using BMC Air Filters in all my cars ever since 2015. Upto then, I was using K&N, but the influx of spurious K&N marked filters in the market made me loose my confidence in the brand then. Other than that, BMC is easily available here in Kolkata and has a wider product range also. Hence, have been addicted to BMC ever since then.

There are many videos available on youtube w.r.t. the cleaning process. Sharing a link for your ready reference :

I hope this helps !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Excellent write up!
I have always loved the Brio because of it's powerful engine and quirky looks and you have made it look even better by putting those sporty rims.
Wishing you lakhs of hassle free miles with this cute Honda!
Thanks Nazaar25 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
If youre gonna keep the car i would recommend getting the spoiler fitted, just enhances the look and the center arm rest fitted as well as its very convenient to place your hand while driving an AT
Thanks M00M ! I am glad that I am not the only person who is unhappy with the mileage of the BRIO. However, certain highway sprint have yielded mileage of over 17kmpl as well, so no complaints. As you said, mileage is not the only criteria of buying a car !!

It will be nice if you could share any link/ picture of the Centre Armrest that you have installed in your BRIO. I am not a spoiler person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
Do you have it now ?. IMHO, I think its not a good idea to drive a vehicle without a comprehensive insurance. Given how much forum-members like their cars.
Thanks shashi792 ! Yes now it's covered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmansari View Post
I too am considering a pre-owned Brio AT for my sister. Your ownership review has further cemented the Brio as a worthy contender.
Thanks hmansari ! Go for the pre-owned BRIO blindly if you find a good piece !
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:10   #24
BHPian

You do the cleaning of the filter yourself? I feel that FNGs won't be capable/experienced enough to do it?
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:17   #25
BANNED

I have had a Brio AT for over seven years. Great car, at one point it was not going much over 80 kph, but a few long runs cleared it out. Now it is working normally. The gearbox is fine but sluggish, as is the one in my Civic (from which it is derived). We changed the upholstery last year, before moving to Gurugram.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It will be nice if you could share any link/ picture of the Centre Armrest that you have installed in your BRIO. I am not a spoiler person.
!
I have no issues with the Fuel Efficiency as i think its fine. It gives 9-10 in the city which is far more than the 7-8 i got in my Hyundai i10 previously so i have no complaints and quite happy with the Brio.

Regarding Centre Armrest, Honda India had introduced the centre armrest in the Amaze old gen in about 2016. Since both the cars are the same, i had requested the dealer to order one and they installed it in my car, my armrest is completely black in colour but attaching a picture i found online.
M00M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 08:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Thanks for sharing. Has this been in the assembly line for 2 years now? Even I was looking for used Brio in Bengaluru but seems prices for well engineered cars like these with AT are too optimistic for my taste.
Thanks JithinR ! I planned to start the thread when the car was purchased. Never had time enough to pen it down. Recent times were opportune enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
The Brio does seem like a fun to drive car. Love the stance of your car with the rims. Looks very sporty.
Thanks Omar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review, totally my kind of a purchase . Congrats pal.
Thanks GTO ! I am eyeing another 'your kind of purchase'. Don't know when it will materialize though

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Regarding Centre Armrest, Honda India had introduced the centre armrest in the Amaze old gen in about 2016. Since both the cars are the same, i had requested the dealer to order one and they installed it in my car, my armrest is completely black in colour but attaching a picture i found online.
Thanks for the indicative image. Will ask my dealer to help me out on this. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have had a Brio AT for over seven years. Great car, at one point it was not going much over 80 kph, but a few long runs cleared it out. Now it is working normally. The gearbox is fine but sluggish, as is the one in my Civic (from which it is derived). We changed the upholstery last year, before moving to Gurugram.
Thanks sgiitk ! What upholstery did you go for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
You do the cleaning of the filter yourself? I feel that FNGs won't be capable/experienced enough to do it?
Some of the FNGs here in Kolkata have adapted very well to the cleaning process and do the job well. I usually give it to them. However, with the abundance of time, tried my hands on it and I ended up doing a fair job.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 10:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great review, AJ. Brio is indeed a peppy, fun to drive go-kart for the town and occasional highway runabouts. Here is mine- completed 7 years in Feb. Still less than 21k on odo.

AJ's saga of a pre-worshipped Honda Brio VX AT : An Ownership Thread-hondabrio_diy_wash.jpg

I up-sized my tires to Bridgestone Potenza in 2017 and boy am I regretting. It has made the steering heavy, lethargic acceleration and lower fuel efficiency due to heavier unsprung weight now. I am thinking of reverting to OEM size prematurely now. Are Kelly ones good- what is your experience so far?

Quote:
... What upholstery did you go for...
I have Honda OEM, got complimentary with car purchase, from the dealer. It is nice fit with OEM quality finish and still looking almost new. Will post interior picture shortly. You can try to source it if some dealer still has it.

Quote:
... I have been using BMC Air Filters..
I changed to K&N and planning to upgrade spark plugs to NGK Iridium. Realised Brio has Spark plug change interval of 40000 kms, so holding on for some time.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 6th April 2020 at 10:30. Reason: multi-quote
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 13:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vasanth ! The BRIO is indeed a fabulous car overall. Wish you endless miles too on yours. You ride is looking gorgeous with those 15" Honda City Alloy Wheels. Has there been any noticeable difference in the ride quality with this upgrade ?
Since it is 175/65 R15, the ride over bad roads remained same to be honest. Not as supple as Swift. (165/80 R14 I suppose;2nd gen)
When it comes to Highway there is a significant reduce in road noise. A lot to be honest. Can cruise at 80-100kmph without increasing stereo volume.
And because of larger wheels it accommodates the wheel arches just perfect.
The older (175/65 R14) just didn’t look right for the car.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 13:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Excellent report. Rated 5*.
Thanks Samba !

Quote:
This is no doubt a superior car, from the list you have shared in the beginning of this thread. I will keep Brio ahead of the Nissan Micra! This car has no alternative till now.
Undoubtedly

Quote:
Sad to see your Figo go! Had loads of memories with your Figo during our Ladakh trip and some more! There was a time both of us had loads of fun with our Figo's on the roads of Kolkata & beyond! No speed-limit was implemented back then! Be Fast but safe were our motto!
Nothing remains forever ! Time to make new memories I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Great review, AJ. Brio is indeed a peppy, fun to drive go-kart for the town and occasional highway runabouts. Here is mine- completed 7 years in Feb. Still less than 21k on odo.
Looks in very good shape ! Simply mint for it's age. I guess it is used very sparingly.

Quote:
I up-sized my tires to Bridgestone Potenza in 2017 and boy am I regretting. It has made the steering heavy, lethargic acceleration and lower fuel efficiency due to heavier unsprung weight now. I am thinking of reverting to OEM size prematurely now. Are Kelly ones good- what is your experience so far?
My one had JK Vectra as OEM fitment. The Kelly in the stock size seem to be better than those for sure so far.

Quote:
I changed to K&N and planning to upgrade spark plugs to NGK Iridium. Realised Brio has Spark plug change interval of 40000 kms, so holding on for some time.
Even I have the NGK Iridium Spark Plugs in mind ! Will go for it definitely when the time comes.

Quote:
When it comes to Highway there is a significant reduce in road noise. A lot to be honest. Can cruise at 80-100kmph without increasing stereo volume. And because of larger wheels it accommodates the wheel arches just perfect.
Thanks for sharing your review of the upgrade !

Quote:
The older (175/65 R14) just didn’t look right for the car.
Completely agree ! It just seemed out of place with those positive curved Alloy Rims.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks