BHPian

Re: A year with the driver's car: Hyundai Creta 1.4L CRDi E Plus

Congrats on the Creta 1.4L Sir.
Happy mile crunching with your new car.
R4m4kr15hn4n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 10:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, congratulations on your new ride and wish you many happy miles with your driver's car. The Creta in this particular color looks best to me.

I am thinking about upgrading to a small pseudo-SUV later this year, in the 10-12L bracket. I was eyeing the Nexon (top end), Ecosport (mid or top end) and the base Creta. As you have mentioned there is hardly any information about the E Plus variant and I kept looking around in vain. Thanks to your thread, several of my queries were answered. I have a few more questions, if I may ask:

- Do you miss the rear wash-wipe and defogger? My current car has it and I find them quite useful once in a while.
- Do you miss steering mounted audio controls? I wanted on my next car.
- How's the performance compared to the Ecosport based on city driveability and highway overtakes?

Thanks in advance,
Ashis
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 14:39   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on completing over an year with Creta. Wish you unlimited mile crunching with your possession.
Do keep us posted for the long-term service and maintenance costs, and niggles if any!
Cheers
Akshitsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Congratulations for completing a year with this beautiful car pacman2881. Having some experience of owning a couple of Hyundais, I can assure you that these cars ages very well and gracefully.
Wish you many happy miles ahead.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 21:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
I got dieseltronic dual channel box installed
Sounds interesting. Did you check on a Dyno on the gain? Can you please share the chart if you have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I'm curious to know more about its performance on the highway and especially in the hills. How does it fare on the gradient with a full load of passengers?
The car is obviously slower on Highways compared to the diesel i20. 1.4 I20 is sprightly when compared to 1.4 Creta where the power is just about adequate.
I’ve not faced any trouble on inclines however steep they’ve been. Ofcourse if we are to compare with 1.6 CRDi you’ll probably be downshifting more to move ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
If you want to leave your park lamps ON after you switch OFF, try this:
That's awesome. Now it actually makes sense to have this feature. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have a few more questions, if I may ask:
- Do you miss the rear wash-wipe and defogger? My current car has it and I find them quite useful once in a while.
Yes this is something I very much miss especially in the rainy season.

- Do you miss steering mounted audio controls? I wanted on my next car.
Yes, it would have been better. I really started missing this one after upgrading my ICE. The stock system had large physical buttons and provided a tactile feel. With the touch screen system I really miss steering controls.

I’ve been thinking of adding a remote like this one - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2430954

Or go ahead with a full after market set up like this one -https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hair...799488105.html

But i haven’t zeroed on it yet.

- How's the performance compared to the Ecosport based on city driveability and highway overtakes?
From my experience of driving the Ecosport I think Creta is slightly better in terms of driveability as you have a little more torque lower down the RPM. I have not really driven Ecosport on the highway but I would expect it to be better.

This question actually brings me to another comparison I did before buying the car but missed covering in my earlier post.

I tried comparing torque curves of Hyundai’s 1.4 U2 CRDI and Ford's 1.5 TDCI. You can see that the torque kicks in early in case of 1.4 CRDi compared to 1.5 TDCi but it tappers off earlier in the rpm range as can be seen below. Besides you also have a little more power in the TDCi.

A year with the driver's car: Hyundai Creta 1.4L CRDi E Plus-es-vs-creta-torque.jpg

Note
  • I’ve recreated the chart using http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ data as I’ve lost the original files
  • Ignore the actual numbers as Euro spec number seems to be on the higher side (for example peak torque is 240 and 215 for the 1.4 U2 CRDi and 1.5 TDCi instead of 224 and 205 respectively. Still I think the spread should be similar and hence I am using this one. Experts can correct me on this)

Last edited by pacman2881 : 5th June 2018 at 22:12.
pacman2881 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 22:03   #21
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Yes, it would have been better. I really started missing this one after upgrading my ICE. The stock system had large physical buttons and provided a tactile feel. With the touch screen system I really miss steering controls.

Or go ahead with a full after market set up like this one -https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hair...799488105.html

A video regarding the installation of the aftermarket steering mounted controls(It is in Hindi)-

The steering mounted controls are not just a convenience feature but a very important safety feature as well, IMO. In fact after the inclusion of safety features like airbags and ABS/ESP etc., I feel that the steering mounted controls are the next in line unless you can really control the urge to take off your eyes from the road and operate the infotainment system.

Last edited by AYP : 5th June 2018 at 22:05.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 22:52   #22
BANNED

Quote:
With the touch screen system I really miss steering controls.
A retrofit would be possible and may work in your car. Steering mounted controls are very important. A basic need on today's cars.

PS: Have sent you a PM.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2018 at 14:59. Reason: Typo edited
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 16:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to drive this for 1100 kms on a long road trip. Must say I fell in love with this car.The one I drove was a S variant.For me it was the 1.4 mill and the way it pulled in ghats, which was the most enjoyable thing.

Of course I did not notice any missing equipment, since the engine itself was keeping me happy.

Hearthy congratulations on your purchase.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 19:46   #24
BHPian

Congrates for the Creta. Wishing you thousands of happy miles.

When I bought Brezza Zdi+ in 2016, I really wanted to go with Creta 1.4 diesel E plus however absence of passenger side airbag (at that time) was a deal breaker.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 21:04   #25
BHPian

First of all, thank you for a great review. It's great to see a Creta 1.4 diesel review. I've been looking for this review for a long time

Quote:
Position of spare tyre: To save space and accommodate the tool kit Hyundai has designed the spare wheel to be placed face down with air valve facing the ground. So each time I need to check air I have to remove the tool kit and take the tyre out. This is very painful as I have the habit of checking air every week / ten days on all tyres including the spare.
My Brio also has the same issue, and it used to upset my OCD self every week when I check air pressures--at least till all that frustration made me find a nifty work around. Valve extensions are available these days, which will help you check the spare tyre's air pressure without having to completely remove the tyre. I ordered one of these from Aliexpress, and I have been using them without any issues for over a year now.

The common types of tyre valve extenders available these days are:

(1) Copper tube valve extender: These are usually available as extension tubes with curvature of 45 degrees, 90 degrees and 135 degrees. I used a 45 degree tube for the spare tyre, and it's saved me a lot of swearing every time I had to check air pressure.

Here's a sample.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bras...ceBeautifyAB=0

(2) Rubber-based tyre valve extension: I haven't used this one, so no comments on this. Here's a sample of how these are like,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/190m...ceBeautifyAB=0

See if any of your friendly auto spares shops have these. Else, you can order it off AliExpress (which is what I did). It took three weeks to be delivered. Hope this fixes your air pressure check woes.

Last edited by anilp : 6th June 2018 at 21:05. Reason: Fixed formatting
anilp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 21:19   #26

Great read
I can concur to each and every detail jotted down above, except I feel the brakes do not inspire confidence at any speeds (My auto expert friends resonated the same opinion).

One of my friends is in Spiti valley with his 1.4D S (Black) as I type this! A bit sad that I could not join.

In march we took the same car to Pushkar (from Gurgaon, which is like a 900km drive). 1.4D can guzzle highways easy peasy (at sedate speeds) even with 4 passengers on board. I will be able to tell about its Spiti excursion next week when its back from the valley.

Rest assured, it is a beast of a car even with relatively smaller engine. The sales numbers and the long waiting period are a proof of that.
anki64 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 22:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
A video regarding the installation of the aftermarket steering mounted controls(It is in Hindi)
Thanks for that. The car in the video appears to be having everything from shark fin antenna to painted skid plates to make it look like the top end variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A retrofit would be possible and may work in your car. Steering mounted controls are very important. A basic need on today's cars.

PS: Have sent you a PM.
I've sent a PM sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
when I check air pressures--at least till all that frustration made me find a nifty work around. Valve extensions are available these days, which will help you check the spare tyre's air pressure without having to completely remove the tyre.
Never knew something of this sort existed! I'll check it out
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 03:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Creta. It's a wonderful car, and 1.4 versions are pretty rare.
If the BHPian in you wants BHP, try this -
https://www.facebook.com/Code6Tuning...88775897817232

Note: I'm not associated with Code 6 and I'm not advertising for them. And engine tuning comes with risks which you should understand before going for one.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 22:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Congrats on the Creta. It's a wonderful car, and 1.4 versions are pretty rare.
Thanks! I used to think they are rare. But once I started noticing minute differences between variants (wheels, skid plates, garnish, grill etc) I started making out the variants and realised that there are quite a few of them on the road. That probably explains why Hyundai didn't discontinue this engine in the facelift.
Just that we don't have enough reviews of the 1.4.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 8th June 2018 at 22:48.
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 18:12   #30
BHPian

This is an interesting thread. Creta E+ is very enticing. The differentiating features among variants are convenience features.

On Aliexpress, there are lots of things one can buy:
- Automatic Climate Control Module
- Map lights for the front seats
- Music system + steering controls

Anyone tried the above?

If one can put the above things + fog lamps + parcel tray and the engine remap - within 13L OTR one has a great VFM vehicle.

~m
serious_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks