Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 22:39   #31
BHPian

Hey! That's an awesome SUV you've got there. Also the Hella 4000 Rallye's go well with the looks of the car. Where'd you get the turbo timer from? And its pricing?

A
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hey! That's an awesome SUV you've got there. Also the Hella 4000 Rallye's go well with the looks of the car. Where'd you get the turbo timer from? And its pricing?

A

Thanks bro.. The Turbo Timer was bought from US and costed me 100 US$

Godfather
Old 27th June 2007, 09:44   #33
BHPian

Godfather, out of ignorance...why is a turbo timer required for a Safari.

Wiki says "A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off".
Old 27th June 2007, 12:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

You answered your own question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off".
Who's got the patience to drive under limits when Boost cuts in 'for several minutes'?
Old 27th June 2007, 15:10   #35
BHPian

This 'Turbo timer' discussion was informative. As always, thanks guys!
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:15   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this thread is more active and as a prospective buyer, I can get all my queries answered:

I am thinking of buying the Safari, mainly for the following reasons:
1. I own an NHC 2004 and am very happy with it but for only 1 issue (Ground clearance). I need as high Ground Clearance as possible for monsoons, non-regular routes in Konkan.
2. I need some SUV that's reliable and inexpensive to maintain and has VERY GOOD suspentions.
3. Price as low as possible (I am being forced to buy another vehicle purely because there are many places and times wherein my NHC touches the road/takes beating in some other form...)

Looking at these criteria, would you recommend the Safari?
Is the engine reliable?
Everyone is talking about 2.2 vs 3.0.
Nobody is talking about Fiat engines (the multijets). If these are going to be put on Safari, I will be really stupid to buy a DICOR, right?
Old 2nd July 2007, 23:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Engine is bulletproof. Ask the Indian Army, they use it a lot. About the maintenance, it's a Tata, so expect little niggles here and there, though Tata seem to be a lot more proactive than some other manufacturers. Overall, it's great VFM, and you can't beat the suspension.
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
, it's a Tata, so expect little niggles here and there, though Tata seem to be a lot more proactive than some other manufacturers. Overall, it's great VFM, and you can't beat the suspension.
I totally agree.. As soon as i get an issue i call up the dealership and inform them.. Within minutes i get a call from a service advisor.. They come home.. rectify the issue ASAP.

Godfather
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I totally agree.. As soon as i get an issue i call up the dealership and inform them.. Within minutes i get a call from a service advisor.. They come home.. rectify the issue ASAP.

Godfather
hi Godfather, are these service at our place is a part of the warrenty or do they charge extra for it. Like anybody else, after getting the delivery of my vehicle, i too find few problems, though not too much...i just wanted to get it fixed...but still have not found time to go to the service center..
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:39   #40
BHPian

Babu reddy....when is ur vehicle arriving.....or has it arrived...if yes...put some pictures...& ur first experience...
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
hi Godfather, are these service at our place is a part of the warrenty or do they charge extra for it.
There is no charge for it.. Till date they have come home twice.. Once for Oil leak and again for some rattling sound where we found that the boot door was not aligned.
For the second one they took the car to the service center and delivered it back the same evening.. After that i have had no issues till date..

Godfather
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

hi Godfather

Please post pics when u install the turbo charger and the wiring details.

Thanks buddy
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:55   #43
BHPian

@simply sunny: he is not installing the turbocharger...he is just installing a turbo timer....this would ensure longer live and better performance of the turbo....
Old 4th July 2007, 06:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
hi Godfather

Please post pics when u install the turbo charger and the wiring details.
The Dicor comes Turbo Charged from Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
@simply sunny: he is not installing the turbocharger...he is just installing a turbo timer....this would ensure longer live and better performance of the turbo....

i will be getting it fixed this saturday.. Provided Psycho is free.. Will post the pics.

Godfather
Old 4th July 2007, 14:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Babu reddy....when is ur vehicle arriving.....or has it arrived...if yes...put some pictures...& ur first experience...
hey deepak, my vehicle arrived last thursday ....will be posting the pics very soon...here is the link to the thread about my experience
Quartz Black Safari Dicor Lx Joins

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks