Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari LX Joins the Team

Mods.. Please move this topic to the Appropriate section..Sorry in advance for the trouble.

My hunt for a new vehicle started out a couple of months ago...
After i sold the Esteem i had told everyone at home that i have had enough and i am not gonna buy another car again...
I just could not take the Bangalore Traffic anymore... Also the fact that you have to insure yourself everytime you go out for a drive..
I started to use the office Indicab to and fro from work...Here the horror story starts...
I nearly got killed twice..the first time when the cab driver pulls a blind left tun at approx 60kmph only to find a traffic jam and his car under the bus..
I was sitting in the front seat and was very happy that i was wearing seatbelts... I got out and surveyed the damage to the indica..hmmmm..Bonnet TORN.. Bumper non-existent...OK...accidents happen...no big deal...caught a auto from there on and went home leaving the cab driver to sort out his differences with the bus driver..

After a couple of days my shift changed and i was working night shift... The cabbie now with a completely repaired..(No parts replaced after accident) picked me up at
around 9Pm from my residence and we were off to work.. This time i chose to sit behind.. and as my luck would have it..he hit a pedestrian who was trying to cross the road pushing his bicycle as though the road was gifted to him on his 18th Birthday..
The cabbie as usual in a hurry to make deadlines of picking up another frustrated software engineer hit him so hard.that that guy fainted out of pure Fright....and for a few minutes there we had forgotten that he had a cycle..we found the cycle a couple of meters away...broken / bent..if you could call that a cycle anymore..

That was the last straw... That day was the last when i travelled by cab again..I had to start asking my wife for her Santro..and i could only use it when it was free..
the other days i was using an auto to commute.. and with the new auto lanes in Bangalore city the commute took me a complete TWO hours... owww..my aching back..
I started hunting for a second hand car...i did not think that i would need a new one..
The first car i saw was the city vtec.. 2003 2nd owner..for a whopping 6.3L..It was well maintained..but i would not pay that amount to be the third owner.so negotiations were out of the deal... Over a period of say four months i would have seen not less than 50 cars..and i would have driven most of the second hand car dealers on the verge of shutting the business down..as i could find various faults with the cars and laughed at them when they told me those prices..

here are a few for you..
1999 Opel Club -- 2.1L negotiatable
1999 Lancer -- 3.2L
2003 city vtec -- 6.3L
2002City vtec -- 5.7L
2003 Safari 2WD -- 5.75L

Yep..They were it... Then dad told me that if you are having a budget why not buy a new one...
Hmmmm...why did i not think of that... i gave up hope on second hand cars and started hunting for new cars...
1. I drove the ford fiesta 1.6 ..nice car... ok..keep this on the check list..
2. The Cedia executive..nearly booked it..loved it so much then a few friends told me that this car has no resale value..and also they started making plans to mod the car...get EVO / MIVEC... whoa....calm down guys...i am not spending close to 10L and throw the engine away..

That was it... I could not see any more petrol cars..(with friends like these who needs enemies). Diesel was the choice now...also with the soaring petrol prices...i thought it would be a little lighter on the
pockets too everytime i tank up..
Then i thought of the DICOR...hmmm...why not...Luckly for me Concorde motors is right next to my office..I got off work and walked to the next building..
saw the dicor...the prices were unbelieveable...I had a budget of around 8L and the LX fitted the bill perfectly..
Took a test drive of the vehicle and i loved it.. The road presence was great..heads turned and no one dared to come in front of me..
I was in Love all over again..I had to have it... called up my better half and told her that i found the perfect car and if its ok to take a DICOR.
She was more enthuastic than me and agreed readily on a condition that she also gets to drive it.. I thought for a moment and said "ok honey..I am fine with that...(back of mind...YEAH RIGHT...and Pigs will fly)"
I booked the car(Black color) with a 10,000/- advance on the spot and started the negotiations..
Body coloured bumpers / 25G off the price / sunfilm / floor mats / body cover.

The finances were arranged and the payment made in 2 days... now the desperate waiting started...
one week for delivery including the painting...Finally on 27th December the car came... i got a call at 4:30 that the vehicle is ready..
i called my driver... and took off to the showroom...as i was entering the gates...(of heaven i must say) I laid my eyes on the Beast...standing there in all its Glory..
surrounded by the indicas and sumos in the delivery area...HUGE....I was stunned..I just stood there for close to 10 minutes just staring at it..
thinking in the next half hour i would be driving this baby off..

After all the formalities were completed i took the key and started her...and the 3Liter DICOR came to life with a nice roar...
muhuhuhahahaha..i am gonna love every moment of this..
ripped the plastic covers off all the seats...and i was off...took her straight home..to complete the Puja's and other foramlities..Then it was off to Blue bar for a round of celebrations with my Wife and friends..

The next day...took the car straight to carnstyle(Owned by friend) on JC road and started the basic mods of making the beast look more alive and fierce..
1. Changed the tires from stock Bridgestones 235 / 70 16" to 255 / 65 16" Hankook's (with White letterings) Paid a diff amount of 3000 per tire
2. Put the carryboy guard in front with 2 massive Hella Rallye 4000

I still have not decided on ICE... Maybe you guys can help me with that..

I will post the pics as soon as i have the time..year ending..have tons of work...

Godfather

Last edited by Godfather : 29th December 2006 at 11:51.
Old 29th December 2006, 12:03   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Godfather!!!! DICOR has "THE" presence waiting for some pics of the BEAST
Old 29th December 2006, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car....sorry beast... God father. Please do post pics ASAP.
Old 29th December 2006, 15:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From no car to sedan to the mighty SUV, you have had a helluva ride. Very enjoyable write-up.

Congo with the Safari. Run her in carefully.
Old 29th December 2006, 15:31   #5
BHPian

Congrets Godfather for becoming owner of this beast. Scare those errant drivers but be gentle to the rest!
Old 29th December 2006, 15:36   #6
BHPian

congrats man!!!!!please post some pics
Old 29th December 2006, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride mate. I am already feeling jealous and you have got me thinking now . Kidding bro'.
Enjoy the beast and safe driving.
Old 29th December 2006, 17:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Great buy Godfather! Congrats
Old 29th December 2006, 18:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

WOW!!!

Nothing at that price can compare to the road presence of the Safari... good choice!!!

Post pics soon, please... eager to see the guard/bull bar...
Old 29th December 2006, 22:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats !! Have fun and drive safe !!
Old 30th December 2006, 07:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys,

I am a little held up with work here...year ending... Will post the pics as soon as i get the time.

Godfather
Old 30th December 2006, 08:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Wild Side, Godfather. Glad to hear you dialled the Number Of The Beast.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Welcome to the Wild Side, Godfather. Glad to hear you dialled the Number Of The Beast.
Thanks Steer.. Also i wanted to ask you... When ever the steering is turned completely to the left / right and i engage 1st gear and release the clutch i hear a KLANG sound.. I dont know what that is... Any idea??
This happens only in the first gear...after that its a very smooth ride

Godfather
Old 30th December 2006, 08:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

congrats Godfather. try to make it for the TBHP bangy meet on the 6th Jan.

And why dont you get pyscho to work on your Dicor's suspension like the way Steeroid got it done.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
congrats Godfather. try to make it for the TBHP bangy meet on the 6th Jan..
Where is this meet happening... The Thread does not say anything about the place... Only "MAG" wants to be some judge around there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And why dont you get pyscho to work on your Dicor's suspension like the way Steeroid got it done.
I have already spoken to him bro.. he is back on the 2nd.. will meet him sometime after that...

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks