Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2007, 09:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

The present Laura is not worth more than 13-14 lacs (Ex showroom) and the vRS Laura say 14-15 lacs.

It is nicely positioned in lower D segment elsewhere in the world, but in India Skoda is trying to play this dirty game.

I agree on the rear seats, it is way below Optra or Corolla. It is still designed as a self driven car with little focus on rear seats.
Old 6th April 2007, 21:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
The present Laura is not worth more than 13-14 lacs (Ex showroom)
I second you ,the laura is a beautiful vehicle but not worth anything beyond 13-14 lacs . Though ,i feel the latest version named 'Elegance 'that is 14.3(x showroom mumbai) is a good VFM with the kind of features on offer .
the reson ,Skoda is doing well in india is only becoz of the Diesel engines , i wonder why other manufacturers like Honda ,Toyota do not bring out the diesel Versions .. Imagine a Civic or a Corolla with a diesel engine for Rs. 13 lacs(x showroom) ...
Old 7th April 2007, 19:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78 View Post
...Skoda is doing well in india is only becoz of the Diesel engines , i wonder why other manufacturers like Honda ,Toyota do not bring out the diesel Versions...
Small correction... Skoda is doing well even in Europe also because of their diesel engines (VW). Diesel is the future and Europe is way ahead of Japan...
Old 7th December 2011, 15:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura - 700km drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Expectedly the 6-speed DSG gearbox is fabulous....and is an entirely different league. The gear shifts are faster than what even Schumacher can manage with a regular manual, and the shift itself is so smooth that you would think its a CVT. Literally - You cannot tell the shifts at all! The slushbox is superior to any I have driven in the past...and that includes certain models of Merc S-Class'.
Hi GTO,

Do you still have this Laura DSG in your family? Must be one of the oldest DSG cars on team-bhp. With all that's going on with the DSG - it's superiority as a concept, flaws in implementation, questions about longevity, etc, it will be very interesting to know how this car is holding up and the how is the overall ownership experience over last 4 years or so...

Thanks!
Old 8th December 2011, 16:52   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Do you still have this Laura DSG in your family?
Just got off the phone with him. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that his car has proved to be reliable for the most part. His comments:

- Bought in May 2006 and currently has 66,000 kms on the clock.

- Air-con compressor changed once. Even then, he's not happy with the air-con preformance over hot summer days

- Horn. Changed OEM a couple of times.

- Tyres - As expected

- Power seat switch. Didn't understand which switch he was talking about. But he says he had to change one of the driver seat adjustment buttons.

Of course, there's also the embarassing-for-Skoda incident where his Laura went to the Auto Bahn dealership wearing nearly new Michelins, and came back home with some well-worn JKs (or some Indian brand) . After a verbal duel, he got his tyres back.

Except for the air-con compressor, no major issues (no DSG malfunction yet, fingers crossed).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 17:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, there's also the embarassing-for-Skoda incident where his Laura went to the Auto Bahn dealership wearing nearly new Michelins, and came back home with some well-worn JKs (or some Indian brand) . After a verbal duel, he got his tyres back.
Gawd! Skoda dealerships are totally incorrigible. Dont they leave a single customer without making an "attempt to fleece"
Old 8th December 2011, 17:32   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Gawd! Skoda dealerships are totally incorrigible. Dont they leave a single customer without making an "attempt to fleece"
I was always told when tyres ate to be changed, either be done at service or do it
at least 3-4 months before so that they look sufficiently worn out!

(Applies to any service). No doubt a trained SA would figure out the age of the tyre, but, still I try to follow it as much as possible!
Old 8th December 2011, 18:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I started reading the original post without checking the timestamp and got increasingly bewildered as I read through. 1.9 litre engine? 20.5 lacs on road?

Then I realised this dates back to 2007!

Skodas have such "typical" problems: horn replacement (every owner complains about this), AC failures, DSG meltdown (thankfully for your relative, he was spared this!)

Shocking that an attempt to rob an owner of his tyres and stick him with used ones in an inferior brand is laughed off. Or is there something that I am unaware of?
Old 8th December 2011, 19:41   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no DSG malfunction yet, fingers crossed

Nice. That's is really good to know.

Yes, air con is not up-to-the-mark - even in the face lifted Laura.
Horn sucks - even in the face lifted Laura.
Sevice guys - well, the way things are handled at Europa, they can swap entire car with another, not only tyres!

But good to know the reliability of the DSG - over kms and years.

Cheers!
Old 9th December 2011, 11:34   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Shocking that an attempt to rob an owner of his tyres and stick him with used ones in an inferior brand is laughed off.
Humour in a situation of being frustrated, Noopster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
But good to know the reliability of the DSG - over kms and years.
I'm pleasantly surprised myself, though fingers remain crossed.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Most of the shortcomings stated, are common to every other Laura. Facelifted or not.

A/C sucks. There. Thats the only way I can put it.
Horn: Ive probably been lucky, that the one's on my Laura work absolutely fine. The Superb's horns do develop a sore throat after a full day's use though.
DSG: Ha, mine's a manual!

Dealers changing tyres? Now whats left for Skoda to do? Change the entire car, and hand over a used Octi in place of a Laura?

Good to know that the car is doing fine, overall though. That's actually a pleasant shock.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Humour in a situation of being frustrated, Noopster.

I got that, GTO. But it's shocking nonetheless. I have had instances where carelessly left-behind i-pods and even cash was returned to me intact after a service. Is there any place this is documented on the forums?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Most of the shortcomings stated, are common to every other Laura. Facelifted or not.
A/C sucks. There. Thats the only way I can put it.
Horn: Ive probably been lucky, that the one's on my Laura work absolutely fine. The Superb's horns do develop a sore throat after a full day's use though.
DSG: Ha, mine's a manual!
A bad AC in India is such a fail, man! And yours isn't even a climatronic, how can they go wrong with it? Even humble Marutis have awesome chillers installed.

Last edited by noopster : 9th December 2011 at 12:25. Reason: Fixed tag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks