Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2007, 18:13   #16
BHPian

For a change they improved the looks this time around. I liked the looks of old Honda civic (prior 97/98 ?? in USA) accord. After that I thought they spoiled the looks of both accord and civic. Both the new civic and accord look a lot a better over the models of last 7/8 years.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
First hand from an owner of the new vehicle.. The automatic FE is around 6-7kmpl.. Quite surprising that Honda has not put its stamp of being a fuel efficient engine..It is a stunning car indeed..
Rangaraj, 6-7 kmpl for a V6 Automatic 221 bhp, is not bad at all.
We are talking about sports car like perfromance in a straight-line !
Driven the earlier V6, which I was told by the owner put out 240+ bhp.
Car was mostly stock, acceleration was anything short of breath taking.
Before you know it the needle nudges 160+ when you have the road ie,.!
The owner even claimed 220 + speeds in India, which I belive, after having driven it. The shifts are seamless, and very un-auto like ! The grunt is there for the taking.
Cheers!
Old 17th January 2007, 18:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I didnt quite like the look of the new accord, in real it looks quite different from the pictures and the rear stop light integrated into the boot isnt such a great idea.
I still like the older version looks...maybe i am
Old 17th January 2007, 19:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I feel they should have increased the power on the 2.4 Accord. 142 is good but maybe not enuf.

The 221bhp for the V6 was always more than enuf. Any news about a M/T version of it? Hondacarindia.com says 5 speed M/T (a 6 spd would have been ideal).

I wish we could get a sports version of the Accord. 2ltr 180-200bhp would have been great.

Shan2nu
Old 17th January 2007, 21:22   #20
BHPian

2007 Accord Mini Review

I disagree that the new Accord is a stunner. I have been driving the 2007 Accord for the past 2 days and here is my mini report. This is a brand new car with about 1700 miles on the odo. Most of comparsions will feed off my experiences with a Mazda 6 since I drive that frequently. I cannot say how it stacks up against the Camry or the Laura or the Mondeo since I have not driven these to pass a verdict.

I drove the base 2.4L LX model and I am quite surprised to see the absence of almost any and all premium features in this car. It feels as though Honda have skipped out on every little added feature that would have a marginal impact on cost but would have equalled much greater utility and pleasure. (Eg. Lack of Outside Temp, No Audio controls on steering wheel, No Trim on the dash etc.). The Mazda for instance has all these as standard and more.

My second gripe with the Accord is the poor quality of plastics used (This might be exclusive to US built Cars?). I am just not impressed with the fit or finish. Dasboard feels cheap and is not tactile friendly. The steering wheel is extremely thin and flimsy. The only plus points in the interior layout are the ilumination of the speedo / rev dials (Nice and Bright!) and the easy access to Audio and Controls on the center console. The controls are intutive to locate and use. The Mazda 6 on the other hand is more convulated with buttons strewn accross the dasboard.

Seating position in the Accord is not bad at all and it is very easy to have a good commanding view of the road ahead. It is a easy car to drive and I felt very comfortable and never had to readjust my seat or steering wheel after the first time I got in.

This is what dissapointed me the most - Engine and Handling. I guess I have been spoilt by some of the other cars I drive regularly - the Mazda 6, BMW 5series, Volvo S40 T5 - these are all cars with very reponsive engines and dynamic handling. A little tap on the gas for the 6 and you can instantly feel the surge. As far as handling in the 6 - you feel extremely connected with the road and again - little flicks of the steering wheel can change lanes and go around bends with a lot of capability. Now the Accord - The engine with even 166HP feels Hell'a Lazy. If I stomp on the gas - I hear grunt (Not very good NVH levels either); but the car does not move - a few seconds later - The Accord gets the idea (Like a slow southerner.) and then leaps forward. This is not a very pleasent feeling and is rather jarring. The added weight and boat like dimensions don't help either. Most of the time I was struggling to keep the car in an optimum power band. Eventually I just gave up - and set the cruise control on and the Accord plodded away. If I would try and weave through traffic (In a safe controlled manner), I could feel body roll and I could constantly feel the brakes overshooting the car. I did not attempt to throw the car around turns and corners as I was affraid that it might result in some sort of unwarranted catastrophe.

A car should be, Live, Resposnive, Agile and Exciting. The Accord is the opposite - slow, pokey, big and boring. But there in lies the genius - It appeals to every Gerriatric out there. It has a lot of space in the back - it feels heavy and safe - it looks conservative and it wont get any sensitive hearts palpatating any time soon. So if you are 55 years old with 2 and a half kids, a labrador, a paid up mortgage and just got promoted to head of India operations in the newest BPO on the block - go ahead and buy the Accord and get yourself a nice soft spoken uniformed driver by the name of Ramu. They both will compliment each other perfectly as you sit in the back reading your Sunday Times blissfully unaware of a what the humble Accord is doing under that hood in the thingamajig up there.
Old 18th January 2007, 00:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The 221bhp for the V6 was always more than enuf. Any news about a M/T version of it? Hondacarindia.com says 5 speed M/T (a 6 spd would have been ideal).
As of today no manual gearbox for the V-6 is planned which is contrary to eariler reports. However, I am tapping a few sources to find out the complete information & will let you knoe if I have any update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I wish we could get a sports version of the Accord. 2ltr 180-200bhp would have been great.
Oh how I wish that had happened!!!
Old 18th January 2007, 01:13   #22
BHPian

didnt honda start offering a 6-speed option on the facelifted accord in the us. it only seems logical to do the same here.
Old 18th January 2007, 04:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
didnt honda start offering a 6-speed option on the facelifted accord in the us. it only seems logical to do the same here.
Yup the 6-speed manual is now available for both the saloon & cope shapes with the V6 engine. Sad they haven't launched it here yet.
Old 30th January 2007, 11:59   #24

The accord V6 at about 17 lakhs is a superb value compared to similarly equipped cars such as BMW - likely to retail around 40 lakhs. We used to have a BMW and an Acura when we lived in the US. I personally felt that the Acura (which has the same engine as Accord) was far more refined. But it is a value only for those who don't care about a badge. There will always be those who will pay another 20 laks just for the BMW name despite an inferior engine technology.
Old 30th January 2007, 16:09   #25
BHPian

oh my god the accord seems to be best buy...for its price ...!!!
Old 30th January 2007, 19:39   #26
BHPian

@vcash
Firstly you are comparing the Accord to cars that are much higher in price and brand. Thats unfair and unreal.
Secondly, your final paragraph leads me to think that you have something against Honda as a company, but thats just my thoughts.
Old 30th January 2007, 21:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
@vcash
Firstly you are comparing the Accord to cars that are much higher in price and brand. Thats unfair and unreal.
Secondly, your final paragraph leads me to think that you have something against Honda as a company, but thats just my thoughts.
Hi RacingForIndia,

The only direct comparison I made was to my Mazda 6. Lets review some facts:

2004 / 2005 Mazda 6
2260cc 4 cylinder engine
HP 160@6000 RPM
Torque 155@4000 RPM
Curb Weight 3091lbs
Dimensions (LXWXH) 186.8 in X 70.1 in X 56.7 in
Base Price $19,110

2007 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder
2354cc 4 cylinder engine
HP 166@6000 RPM
Torque 160@4000 RPM
Curb Weight 3133lbs
Dimensions (LXWXH) 191.1 in X 71.6 in X 57.2 in
Base Price $20,125

As you can see - the Accord and the Mazda 6 are direct competitors. On paper the Accord looks even superior. Infact in all the comparison commercials, Honda and Mazda both refer to each other as competitors. As far as Brand Equity goes - I beleive Honda and Toyota are a notch higher than Mazda. So now you tell me if I am comparing the Accord to car(s) that are much higher in price and brand.

As for your second statement about me disliking Honda's - you could not be farther from the truth. I actually like Honda's a lot and infact own a Honda City Type II which is a great car. I also think the Civic Si is a brialliant automobile (But currently overshadowed by the Mazda 3 Speed and the VW GTI - thats a whole other bag of worms!). And I would also like to go on to say that IMHO the Ridgeline is the best pickup truck out there - Nissan, Toyota, the American 3 cannot touch this beast's workability, innovative touches and superior design.

And if you would re-read my last paragraph. I actually inadvertantly praise the Accord for traits that make it a good car for the Indian Market. Personally, If I was looking for a self driver - I would go with something more soulful that I would actually enjoy driving. But If I would rather be chauffered around - I would buy the Accord without any hesitation at all. Thanks!

vcash
Old 31st January 2007, 12:48   #28
BHPian

@vcach
Point taken.
I gathered that since you had included a Beemer in a statement where you compared the Accord, you were referring to the Beemer too.
Old 31st January 2007, 15:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the price differential over the old one - 70k ?
Old 31st January 2007, 22:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Whats the price differential over the old one - 70k ?
About 30-35k increase depending on model

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks