Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 14:32   #31
BHPian

Re: My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@Simhi - with sunroof, you can't have roof mounted rear a/c vents.
I cannot comment whether it is technically feasible or not to have Sunroof in Yaris. The roof mounted unit is just a blower unit and I am not sure how it has been fixed and how electrical wiring has been done in the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Had I been looking for a sedan today, I'd have blindly gone for Yaris.
However, I noticed an eye-sore as mentioned by you in your review. Toyota has omitted the inner lining/cladding in the boot lid where the illumination lamp houses. Cost cutting?
Thanks Nohonking. Regarding eye-sore, I would say that Toyota should have done better instead of following what others in the segment have done. For reference
Honda City - http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Hond...da-city-17.jpg
Hyundai Verna - http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/2017...i-verna-40.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
As you have mentioned, the Yaris V ticked most of the boxes in your requirement checklist, and that's the way I feel cars should be bought - a mix of head and heart !
Thanks blackasta . Yes, it was a mix of head and heart .

Last edited by navin : 8th January 2019 at 16:40. Reason: typo - in quote.
Old 5th December 2018, 15:12   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car to you and the family . Knowing Toyota you will be able to drive 2 lac kms without any major hiccups.

Problem areas with my experience in the past of owning a corolla auto:
1. Brake Pad wear out quickly both front and rear.
2. Tyres wear out quickly around 30 k .
3. Alignment goes out of sync quickly but then i used to commute over bad roads a lot so i attribute it to that but let me be honest, hondas have proven more reliable in this aspect.

Otherwise trouble free car and good toyota service.

Safe Driving.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:29   #33
BHPian

I am in search of buying a car under 10 lakhs. Was almost hooked up with the Ford Aspire, but the Toyota Yaris base variant seems to be a attractive package considering safety, good build, hassle free ownership, decent leg and head room, it Yaris base variant a better buy than the Ford aspire titanium plus petrol? Ok to compromise on nice to have features such as touch screen, auto ac and wipers. Your suggestions for me?
Old 8th December 2018, 07:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDragon3 View Post
is Yaris base variant a better buy than the Ford aspire titanium plus petrol? ...Your suggestions for me?
If I am not wrong, Ford aspire titanium plus also comes with 6 airbags and the OTR should be less than 10lacs whereas Yaris ex-showroom should be around 10 lacs. I have not checked the prices for Chennai.

Given choice between cars from two segments, I would always go with fully loaded car from lower segment. For e.g. given a choice between Yaris top variant and Altis lower variant, I would go with Yaris top variant.
Simhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDragon3 View Post
I am in search of buying a car under 10 lakhs. Was almost hooked up with the Ford Aspire, but the Toyota Yaris base variant seems to be a attractive package considering safety, good build, hassle free ownership, decent leg and head room, it Yaris base variant a better buy than the Ford aspire titanium plus petrol? Ok to compromise on nice to have features such as touch screen, auto ac and wipers. Your suggestions for me?
Assuming that the safety features are the same for Aspire and Yaris base, are the driver and passenger comfort, gear box, service package, errr.... even the snob value, etc. relevant for you? Everything else can be fitted after-market.

Was looking at the Yaris specs two days back after staring at a beautiful Yaris' rear at a traffic jam. Realised that the V trim is within reach but is un-reasonably priced as well. Other option being jazz, if bells and whistles are the criteria.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th December 2018 at 12:49. Reason: Please do take care to check for errors in spelling and grammar once before you post.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th December 2018, 20:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

I like your logic of selecting your car. The G variant IMHO is the most logical one but the V isn't bad at all. Yes they got too ambitious with the price of the VX, which they must correct if they want to sell these any where near the top sellers. I really like the Yaris and it will surely be my number 1 contendor when I am in the market for a car for my wife in a couple of years, but am afraid that this car will stop selling soon if it continues such dismal numbers. They have to relaunch sooner or later with lesser features and a corrected price if they are to remain competitive.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 07:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Just curious on your test samples. Any reason why there are no European cars like VW or Skoda?
No VW or Skoda car met the criteria - 6 airbags +ABS+ EBD + Petrol automatic (TC or CVT unit)
Simhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:52   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mod Note: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 11th December 2018 at 07:38.
Velmurugan is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th December 2018, 13:44   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I noticed one of the fellow BHPian posts on his experience with A/T.

I had driven many A/T in the past and absolutely no issues at all. In some instances I had not replaced my brake pads & Tyres for 100,000km. Of course it was more of highway driving. Road & traffic conditions matters.

Nevertheless, quick wear & tear of brake pads could be driving within city traffic.holding on to your brake pedals in “D” position will lead to wear & tear. Also harsh driving & braking can lead to faster wear & tear.
Tyre wear & tear is nothing to do with A/T.

Maintenance of tyres- periodically wheel balance, tyre rotation, alignment as deemed necessary to done.

A/T is a luxury & convenience.

Enjoy your drive, smoothly and get benefitted.
Good luck!

Only precaution on A/T, is that, when you are driving (in D mode); never move the transmission knob to Neutral.

This will damage your CVT Unit.

Otherwise rest all you will enjoy this car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th December 2018 at 18:26. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT / QUOTE + functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead
Velmurugan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 18:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Official Review covers all aspects, but ownership reviews too have a charm of their own, if they are done up this good with all details and perspective. I am not in a market for a new car, but your this ownership report compelled me to read it.

The reason why your kids didn't vomit maybe because the Yaris cabin is airy, i10 was claustrophobic, at least in comparison to the Yaris. And one cannot really go wrong with a Toyota. Good choice. Thread deserves a 5 star.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 16:53   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Main criteria for short-listing new car
Over the years, I narrowed down on the main criteria for my next car purchase
- Minimum of 6 airbags + ABS + EBD
- Petrol Automatic - only Torque Converter or CVT
- Sedan or SUV within a budget of Rs.15 Lakhs
- Additional Safety feature like HAC, ESP etc
Quote:
Hyundai Verna
Verna is value for money. Nothing wrong with Verna 1.6 SX(O) Petrol Automatic.

Honda City
The engine was powerful, though NVH was very poor. Also, various posts related to Niggles and Honda quality made me think twice before going in for Yaris.

Toyota Yaris
I have seen so many reviews stating that the rear space of Yaris is inadequate. I am 5' 7" and found the space adequate. My friend 5' 8" and owning 3rd Gen Honda City found head room and rear bench space better than his City. Another friend 5' 5" and owning 4th Gen face-lifted Honda City also found the space sufficient. I would have preferred to go with VX variant as it had vehicle stability control but was way beyond my budget.

But overall, I would rate experience with Hyundai and their dealers better than that of Toyota.
Quote:
If I look at just ex-showroom Pune (excluding insurance, discounts and other charges), then at the time of purchase

Yaris G AT - 11.85 Lacs
Verna SX(0) AT - 12.65 Lacs
Yaris V AT - 12.99 Lacs
City ZX CVT - 13.96 Lacs

What was I missing from Verna - Sunroof, DRLs, Leather seats, Auto Dimming Inside Mirror, Proper Armrest and Dead pedal.
What was I getting over Verna - Brake Assist, All 4 wheel Disc Brakes, Front Parking Sensors (very useful), Acoustic & Vibration Control Glass and Windshield with Infrared cut off (NVH in Yaris is better than City and Verna)
Nice thread Simhi, my wife too is looking for a new Sedan.

She is torn between the better build quality and lower NVH of the Verna and Yaris (both of which are too cramped for 3 passengers in the rear) and the space offered by the City and Ciaz (both of which do not have the same build quality of the Verna or Yaris) - the City at least offers a few more features and a peppier engine than the Ciaz.

I am going to send her this thread to read, maybe it will help her make up her mind.

Thanks.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 09:52   #42
BHPian

Congratulations Simhi! Hope you are having a good time with the car.

What is the FE that you are getting? I'm on the lookout for a car and the J CVT version falls in my budget.Any comments based on your ownership till now?
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 05:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
What is the FE that you are getting? I'm on the lookout for a car and the J CVT version falls in my budget.Any comments based on your ownership till now?
@Ram78, I have mentioned about FE in following post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4501704 (My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT). I have not driven the vehicle much yet so will stick to figures mentioned in the post for now.

Also, in Yaris official review thread, you had asked about seat covers. Here in Pune, at Shaw Toyota both Toyota OEM 1/2 Art Leather seat cover and seat cover from AutoForm are available. I went with AutoForm as I found them of comparable quality and they were 3/4 type with back pocket for front seat.

Just to clarify, 1/2 seat cover mean both the sides of front seat are open and 3/4 means only the airbag side is open.

Posting few pictures

Front seat cover. You can see the opening in seat cover towards the pillar

My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT-front_seat_cover.jpg

Front seat cover with back pockets

My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT-front_back_pocket.jpg

Rear seat headrest and armrest

My 2018 Pearl White Toyota Yaris V CVT-rear_seat_headrest.jpg
Simhi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 11:06   #44
BHPian

@Simhi, congratulations on a very "sensible" buy.

Thanks for a detailed and well written ownership review. It prompted me to visit Shaw Toyota and take a test drive of VX CVT.

I had mixed feelings post the test drive and I realized that it was more to do so with my driving style rather than the CVT. While I have no complaints, given the pricing of yaris variants and my budget, I am inclined to check out the ciaz AT and ertiga AT which I feel are more vfm. Safety being one of my top priorities, have kept options open for lower variants of Yaris.

Wish you miles of happy and safe driving!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:08   #45
BHPian

Congrats on the new car and brave but good decision.I was in a similar situation few years back when the Honda CRV was the only car fulfilling all my requirements. Although it also had dismal sales I went ahead with the purchase. And I am extremely happy with the car. I feel with honda and toyota even if the sales are poor, service and spares is never an issue at least for 8-10 years.
urban legend is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks