Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 18:08   #1
BHPian

My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!

Likes-
The engine – inline 6, smooth, very powerful and efficient
Gearbox – Fast, seamless, has a sixth sense
Great balance of ride, handling and RWD goodness – the weight distribution is spot on and one can feel this when driving
Build and construction – Nothing is built to a cost, no cost cutting anywhere
Features – Navigation, Heads up display, Sunroof, leather, excellent sound system and soft touch plastics everywhere
Fairly Reliable – The N57 3litre engine + ZF 8 HP70 gearbox has been fairly niggle/recall free globally

Dislikes –
Size – Very long and wide, takes getting used to
Rear seat space – Poor for such a long car
Steering – Not as pure as the E60 or E90 or even my Civic(modified)
Service & Spares are expensive – A lot of forums/service manual research to be done and DIY to be learnt and performed to keep costs at a sane level
Attention - The tag associated with buying a big BMW

Cars Considered -
I had made up my mind that my next car will be RWD and being a petrol head who obviously would value power & handling more than features and ride comfort, it meant that it mostly had to be a BMW. 3 years back when I bought the Figo, I had unsuccessfully bid for a mint E90 330i for 15 lakhs. History repeated itself in March when I bid for a mint E90 330i (yes, it was a different car) for 10 Lakhs, and the owner suddenly decided not to sell. I was aimlessly looking at car classifieds websites, like most of us do, obviously the want for a 530D was always there, but I didn’t feel like spending more than 20Lakhs and the ones available for that budget had run 80k+kms and had multiple owners, serviced outside BMW etc. I had given up and stopped looking at the classifieds for some time, as I really did not have a need at home, the Figo and civic were performing flawlessly, and keeping my wife and I extremely happy, both on track and on the road. The bug bit hard after this failed 330i bid, and I started looking at various BMW classifieds again with a vengeance. I zeroed in on 2 cars, one non m-sport July 2011 car with 50k km on the odo, and one m-sport Feb 2013 car with 75k km on the odo with list prices of 15.5 and 19.99 lakhs respectively and full BMW service history. I had a friend with a contact in BMW checkout the service history for both the cars, and other than routine services and some bumper painting, both the cars were clean and serviced at BMW as per schedule.

I checked out the non m-sport car first. RC, and service history were in order. Inspected the car and it was quite clean, I was not fussed about a few minor cosmetic things. Everything worked properly, interiors were mint with no worn-out leather, all the functions worked as they were mean to and the only thing left was the test drive. The car was smooth, AC worked well and the ride was super silent over broken roads. The car had 18” 535i alloys and tubeless Michelins which were fairly worn out. Being a Sunday traffic was sparse, and at one point I was lined up at a signal which had a flyover ahead in about 100m- ideal for an acceleration run. Pushed the gear lever to the left, put the car in sport plus mode and floored it. The tyres squealed, rear squatted and the car just took off and we were past the crest of the flyover in no time, doing unmentionable speeds. The gearbox shifted like charm, and the engine seemed healthy. On the way back, on some broken patches I kept a keen ear out for any untoward noises, but the car was eerily silent. I carried a friend’s Autel MaxiSys MS906 diagnostic tool and hooked it up to the car to scan for faults, what was cleared, etc, and the car was surprisingly clean. I told the dealer to have the car sent to BMW (which was 400m away), for the full paid inspection the next morning. I paid him 10k for the inspection and left to check out the m-sport car.
The m-sport car was newer, but had run 25k km more at 75,000km on the odo. It looked in good nick, and the interiors were mint as well. The car had a few intermittent faults listed about voltage etc, but these seemed very minor (I think). There was a crack in the windshield which bothered me, as a replacement would be expensive. This car still had runflats and the service history with BMW was all clean. The test drive was good, and the car was smooth. I did not get a chance to launch this car, but the brief spirited sprints I got to do, pointed to the gearbox and engine being in good condition. Other than the cracked windscreen I did not find a major negative with this car either. So, I decided to wait for the BMW inspection report of the non m-sport one before making any further move.

The BMW inspection report gave a clean bill of health to the non m-sport car. They said the EGR cooler would need to be replaced in the near future (not relevant to me as I would be doing a full EGR valve, cooler delete), but otherwise minor things like a reverse bulb not working, battery fitted outside BMW etc. were the only observations. The last service done from BMW was 10 months ago, and the car had run a shade less than 5000km after that. The Brake pads, discs, suspension, lower arms, ball joints etc. were all in good nick. The Insurance had expired on this car, and that would be an additional expense. Tyres would be an additional expense on both the cars, as I wanted tubeless and not run-flats. The car started making more sense. I’d save close to 5 lakhs over the m-sport one, and get a car which has run 30% less, as clean and lower (141mm GC). I would loose out on the m-sport looks, steering and seats. In the end I bargained hard and managed to get a good price for the non m-sport one and wired a deposit to the dealer on Tuesday.

Payment & Delivery -
I don’t think I’ve ever moved so fast in a car purchase. Full payment and delivery happened on Wednesday, the 3rd day after I went and saw both cars!! I transferred the full amount only after reaching the dealer, checking out the car again and getting the signed form 29,30 and sales deed from the seller’s side. The dealer Rohit Sharma of Car Club, Moti Nagar was pleasant and professional to deal with and delivered on his promises.

Car at the time of delivery
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190417_185711.jpg

Still not believing that I now owned a 530d, I carefully drove back home that night getting adjusted to the humongous dimensions, tanking up on the way, while the car returned a stupendous 13.6Km/l on a weekday evening drive from West Delhi to Gurgaon. I scheduled an insurance inspection the next day morning itself. The agent came and could not find a single flaw to report 😊 . I gave them the RC transfer initiation receipt received via the dealer, and within a few hours I had zero-dep comprehensive insurance in my name for the car. Phew! that was a huge relief.

Build -
The interior quality and build is first class and is a huge step-up for me. Everything is soft touch, wrapped in leather and just feels nice and solid to use. There is a lot of leather on the doors and dash as well, and the combo with the black dash works well. People say that because of the aluminum in the doors it doesn’t have that heft in operation. Well, after a civic and a Figo, these doors felt really solid to me. The rubber is of excellent quality and they are felt lined to further keep noise at bay. Paint quality is excellent, the paint still has shine and luster, in spite of the swirl marks from its previous years. The car feels extremely safe and solid when being drive and is loaded with 6 airbags. Incidentally this is one area my humble Figo has the 530d matched.

Exterior styling & design -
The F10 when it came out was an effort by BMW to please those who were put off by the E60’s radical design, which I also love BTW. The F10 is very elegant looking, and you will not find anyone who says it is an unpleasant looking car. The proportions with the long hood, short boot looks very nice, and it really does not have a bad angle. The bonnet is extremely well sculpted and looks fabulous when viewed from both inside and outside the car. My car comes with 18” alloys that came on the 535i, and they are also very elegant, so I currently see no reason to change the design (emphasis on currently). They are obviously not very sporty looking, but are in excellent condition, so will remain for now while I spend on other mods. I immediately changed my tyres after buying the car to tubeless Michelin Primacy 3ST 245/45/R18 all around. These tyres have seriously impressed me with their dry grip. Launching even without the traction control in sport plus mode, the tyres hold up and grip really well despite the onslaught of that massive torque. Since I did not drive much on the previous tubeless tyres the car had when I bought it, a comparison with them would be unfair.

Front View
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0383.jpg

Front 3/4 View
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0384.jpg

Rear View
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0387.jpg
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0391.jpg

Rear 3/4 - the best angle in my opinion
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0390.jpg

Side view
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0388.jpg

Lovely details in the tail lamps
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190513_225425.jpg

New Tyres
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190419_114811.jpg

Features, equipment and interiors -
People who know me and have read my other threads, know that I am least bothered about gizmos and gadgets in a car. I am still figuring out stuff that this 530d has with each passing day. Being a 530d it is obviously loaded with features like powered driver’s seat with memory, very convenient as the wife and I can store our respective settings. The passenger seat also has electric adjustment, but no memory. The rear blind is automatic, sunroof is fully automatic, auto fold/dip mirrors, auto headlights, electric steering adjust (the steering lifts up on turning the ignition off to aid entry/exit) and what not. It has rear screen entertainment as well; I don’t think it is ever going to be used. The car has Heads up display, which I like and is useful, and would have been topped off brilliantly if the navigation was any good, but it’s quite poor and most destinations are lacking. The sound system is fabulous, I haven’t heard high end sound systems like the co-branded ones all 50Lakh+ cars seem to come with today, but I cannot see any reason for anyone to not like this sound system. The bass is tight and present in copious amounts, and the tweeters can really make their presence felt. Soundstage is also really good, and though the adjustments are limited, one does not feel the need to have more adjustment at one’s disposal. Bluetooth works well and the sound quality is good via the various streaming music apps.

A/C and Stereo Controls
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190519_105321.jpg

Gear lever and Drive modes
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190519_105329.jpg

Gauge Console
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190515_090327.jpg

My car has the tan leather upholstery and I prefer this so much to the usual beige stuff one sees. Another advantage of the tan leather is it doesn’t get dirty as easily as the beige stuff. The leather is obviously of good quality and a lot of the dash and door pads are also covered in this stuff. The rest of the interiors are covered in soft touch plastics, and the parts which we are out of reach utilize a much higher grade of plastic than what one sees in most cars these days. I don’t know if it’s just me, but the quality of plastic seems to be going from bad to worse as the years progress. There are 2 cupholders and a space to keep the key fob in the front between the two seats. Mobile phone can be kept in the driver’s door itself, which is convenient. The A/C works really well, and even in our Delhi summer, can just leave the ACC at 24C and it cools the car really well. The glass is quite thick, and I think this rejects a lot of the heat, plus being a white car also helps, I suppose. The vents at the rear are just for channeling air, and don’t have individual temperature controls, but are still better than nothing and do make a little difference. The front seats are very comfortable and have a lot of powered adjustment options, lumbar adjustments as well. Even though my car doesn’t have the comfort seats with the adjustable thigh support that the m-sport cars came with, I am more than happy with this armchair like comfort. When driving whichever side, you rest your elbows, it’s on soft padded leather. You can easily find a good driving position, and while it may not feel low slung like in the civic, it is very comfortable and one can The rear seat space is not great for such a long car, and the rear entertainment screens make it seem like the space is even lesser. It is not that someone would be uncomfortable, but one just expects more space for the size of the car. The seats otherwise are very comfortable and with a lowish window-line, you don’t feel as claustrophobic as you would in many other sedans. There is nice ambient lighting all around, and the car just seems to welcome you in when you open the door, with the warm lighting.

Front Seats
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190422_183134.jpg

Rear Seats
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190422_183300.jpg

Interior at Night
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190417_200910.jpg

Problematic melting of the drivers side door handle. Fixed for free by my dealer before delivery from Autocraft
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190513_182609.jpg

Driver's View
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190418_182845.jpg

The boot is quite big and well-shaped, however because I have a full-size spare (I retained one old tubeless tyre which had 60% tread left and got a used m-sport alloy from a friend), the space has reduced considerably. The spare can be removed while moving around in NCR but will be needed for out-station trips though, so I will need to pack accordingly, or use flexible bags which can be pushed into the boot around the spare.

Engine & Gearbox -
The main reason behind me buying this car was the engine + gearbox. If this same combination was offered in something cheaper, smaller without a BMW badge, I would have gladly picked that up. Performance for me is always the no. 1 priority, followed by handling, build, looks, comfort, features and brand value probably comes in last. The N57 engine in this car is just something else. It is so smooth, vibe-free and refined, that there are times you just cannot tell the engine is running. The first night when I got the car home, my wife and I went for a drive. Mid-way I stopped to let my wife have a go, she gets into the driver’s seat and then asks me, “so how do I turn the engine on?’ and the car was running all this while!! While cruising the refinement is so good, it is just some tyre noise that filters in. And when you press the accelerator a little enthusiastically you get some induction noise, followed by some lovely almost petrol like straight six revving noise from 3-5000RPM.

I’ve not driven a Tesla, but I’m guessing it’ll feel similar to this 530d when in sports mode. The car just goes when you push down on the accelerator pedal. No lag, no waiting for a downshift, no hesitation, it just goes and pins you back in the seat. The massive torque just comes in like a sledgehammer and the beauty of RWD ensures the power is not wasted. It is mind boggling how the car has no lag, still revs effortlessly to 5000rpm (please remember it’s a big diesel), is so refined, returns 12-14Km/L in normal NCR driving and has such a wide powerband. The car is very efficient as well. On my office runs I see anything between 11-13Km/l at the end of my 5km journey, and on runs to Delhi, which has little bit of the Gurgaon-Delhi expressway thrown in, the reported efficiency goes up to 14-16Km/l. Of course, if out late at night, and with constant pedal to metal driving it’ll drop to 8-9Km/l, but the way she picks up speed is so savage, it is difficult to keep the pedal mashed to the floor for more than a few seconds. Mine is the older engine before the end 2011 revision happened, so I have 245ps vs the 258ps of the newer one and 540Nm vs the 560Nm of the newer one. Of course, given the mods planned, this slight difference did not make any difference to me.

Fuel efficiency during the office run
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190515_090914.jpg

If the engine blows you away with its awesomeness, the gearbox is not left behind in any way. The 530d has the ZF 8HP70 gearbox, rated to an input torque of 700Nm. This was the main reason I did not want a 6-cylinder 525d which has more or less an identical engine/turbo setup as my car is because it has the ZF 8HP45, rated till a peak torque of only 450Nm. This would mean it effectively cannot be modified reliably, as the gearbox would give up sooner or later. The gearbox is a traditional torque converter but shifts as quickly and smoothly as a DSG. Even when flooring it, there seems to be no slip, delay, nothing, it just transfers all the power the engine makes to the rear wheels effortlessly. It is amazing to experience this technology. And the best part is, this gearbox has all the good bits of a DSG, and none of the negatives. No lurching at slow speeds with the clutches wanting to lock in typical of most DSG’s, no reliability issues, no expensive clutch pack maintenance. The list of cars this transmission is used in is staggering, and it actually is the same size and some 2kg lighter than the previous ZF 6 speed transmission, but with 2 extra gears!

- Suspension, ride and handling, braking –
Obviously being a big executive saloon, it is quite softly sprung and the ride over undulations is quite nice. Having the 18” wheels means some loss in rubber profile, and that slight harshness over ruts and potholes is there, but nothing alarming at all. Overall the car is very comfortable in the ride department with the tubeless tyres. Given the large dimensions, electric power steering and softly sprung setup one would expect it to handle and steer poorly. But, you know that a car should drive and handle well, when the front wheels are pushed all the way to the front, engine and gearbox are mounted after the front axle longitudinally, and even the battery is placed in the centre of the boot to aid weight distribution of both front/back and left/right. The car corners quite flatly, I haven’t taken it to the track yet, but whatever speeds I could corner at on NCR roads, there was next to no body roll. The steering while not the purest of units in terms of feel and feedback, is really direct and you can point the car exactly where you want to go. There is no vagueness around the centre position and it’s a fairly quick turning rack with decent heft. Yes, my civic’s hydraulic steering with the teins, full race traction balls is definitely better, but this is quite good, and in no way spoils the party. Pre-2012 530d’s and the F10 5 series in general had a ground clearance of 141mm and this was raised in 2012 to around 156mm if I remember correctly. The difference can be seen in the wheel well gap between the tyre and body, and I like that mine has a lower more planted feel. This obviously means that I have to be careful over speed breakers and ramps, as long wheelbase + low car is not a good recipe. The out ramp from my office basement has a bad drop at the end, where I’ve on the rare occasion managed to ground the Figo and civic (with stiff teins). The 530d manages to tiptoe without scraping, obviously one has to be dead slow and the automatic transmission helps in the speed modulation here. If it can pass this, it can pass most speed breakers one encounters. I will, however, have to reserve my judgment for when the car is loaded, as that is something I have not experienced yet.

The car is long and low, yet no scrapes yet
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190516_182438.jpg

Ride is good despite 18" wheels
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190516_183645.jpg

As the saying goes, a 65 Lakh car may cost 15 Lakhs to buy used but will be as expensive as a 65 Lakh car to maintain. What gave me the courage to pickup this car were multiple things.
1. Reliable engine and gearbox – The N57 engine and ZF8HP are quite trouble free worldwide, and they’ve been around for a while, hence I knew that this is probably a safe bet.
2. Available repair manuals and BMW software – BMW repair manuals, service software is freely available, or for a very nominal price, and one can do pretty much everything a BMW dealer can do if one uses/follows them.
3. Cheaper OEM options – Lot of available OEM quality options from Mahle, lemforder etc. Lot of brake pad and disc options from EBC.
4. BHPian ImmortalZ helped immensely with all his knowledge about the F10. He put me onto various forums, where I managed to learn much more.
5. Acceptable service cost – A basic oil and filters change from BMW should cost 20k, which I frankly don’t mind spending just to keep the cars service record history intact. Rest of the stuff like pads, bulbs, discs and all the mods I plan to do DIY.
6. OTC BMW Parts Availability - BMW India does sell parts over the counter. They might not be too happy about it, but it is possible, so even servicing can be done on your own.
7. Gearbox Longevity - ZF recommends an 80K km/8 year gear oil change, BMW says it’s a lifetime fill and will not do the oil change for any car. The kit to do the change is fairly easy and I plan to do this by myself to improve the longevity of the transmission.
8. Savings on tyres and alloys - Runflats is another expense which I have negated by running tubeless tyres. Having a full-size spare gives peace of mind, managing with lesser boot space is a small price to pay. Further the m-sport alloys were prone to bending and cracking, ending up in expensive replacements, these 18” 535i alloys so far seem to have held up well and looked clean when I was getting new tyres put.
9. Zero-dep insurance – Extra protection for any untoward mishap. I usually just get regular comprehensive insurance on my other cars, but for this got zero-dep, for that extra cover.
10. And biggest of all, I spent an amount which I was comfortable spending, knowing very well this might later come and bite me in the backside despite all my research and planning. I kept my other 2 cars, didn’t sell anything, didn’t stretch my budget and will not have any regrets whatever happens.

I have driven around 1000km in the car, and that obviously isn’t much. Having 3 cars between the two of us means running is spread out, though I plan to take the 530d on at least 2-3 road trips this year. I have got used to the dimensions and am comfortable with the car in traffic. I use the car as a daily 3-4 days in the week, the civic is used on the other 2 days, and car is used a fair bit over the weekend. I have done a few mods to the car like getting a black twin slat grill from the U.K, getting the EGR delete kit from Darkside Tuning U.K, LED reverse bulbs(one had fused so just replaced them with brighter CANBUS LED’s), gloss black wrap on the rear bumper diffuser, front bumper silver whisker, rear-view mirrors and chrome window trim. The stock HID bulbs have become dim, so I had a friend carry down a pair of D1S Osram Nightbreaker Laser. These are waiting to go in, and I will post my observations soon.

P.S - I forgot to mention the car is currently running a stage 1 quantum tuning tune with 300Bhp/600nm. Downpipe is on the way before we head to stage 2. Do stay tuned for more updates.

Remap in progress
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-img_20190426_184337.jpg

Signing Off!
My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!-dsc_0385.jpg
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:46   #2
BHPian

re: My pre-owned BMW 530d (F10) Edit: Sold!

Congratulations for your purchase! Wishing you lots of happy mile crunching. Car looks in great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
In the end I bargained hard and managed to get a good price for the non m-sport one
Mind asking, why you bought a 2011 diesel model when there is 10 year rule in place? Isn't 15L too much for just 2 years of road worthiness?
batish is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 20:06   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the acquisition! Is your battery an AGM one or the regular flooded type? Either way, it'd be good to verify that the new battery (and the battery type, if flooded) was coded into the car to ensure the charging profile is correct, else the battery life will be severely reduced.
d3mon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 08:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Bhuvan! I was waiting for your ownership review. The car looks fantastic and you've gotten my favourite colour combination. I think the F10 looks best in white or silver (I hate my carbon-black shade), while those brown interiors are my absolute top choice. Really rich ambience.

Quote:
The car started making more sense. I’d save close to 5 lakhs over the m-sport one, and get a car which has run 30% less, as clean and lower (141mm GC).
Because you are technically proficient & the F10 is overall so reliable, I think you'll do okay even with the 2011 car. But for a regular Joe, I wouldn't recommend buying an 8-year old complex European machine. I don't mind keeping my own car well beyond 10 years, but buying someone else's 8-year old car isn't my cup of tea. But again, considering you got her for a fair price + the model's reliability + your tech friendliness, I'm sure you'll be happy in the longer term. Abroad, people use these cars for well over 150,000 miles and still boast good reliability.

Quote:
The main reason behind me buying this car was the engine + gearbox
The combination is d-e-a-d-l-y. I've driven all other luxury marques with a 3.0L diesel & high-tech gearboxes. Conclusion:

- There is no diesel as revv-friendly as the 530d's.

- There is no gearbox as good as the ZF 8-speed, especially with BMW's tuning of the same. While it is fast & smooth, the way it allows aggressive downshifts...no other diesel does.

The F10 has timeless styling and lovely interiors, yet the engine & gearbox combination is what'll make you truly .

Wishing you many pleasurable road-trips & lots of smiles with the beast!

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2019 at 09:31.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 09:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations Bhuvan! I was waiting for your ownership review. The car looks fantastic and you've gotten my favourite colour combination. I think the F10 looks best in white or silver, while those brown interiors are my absolute top choice. Really rich ambience.

Because you are technically proficient & the F10 is overall so reliable, I think you'll do okay even with the 2011 car. But for a regular Joe, I wouldn't recommend buying an 8-year old complex European machine. I don't mind keeping my own car well beyond 10 years, but buying someone else's 8-year old car isn't my cup of tea. But again, considering you got her for a fair price + the model's reliability + your tech friendliness, I'm sure you'll be happy in the longer term. Abroad, people use these cars for well over 150,000 miles and still boast good reliability.
Thank you for the compliments. I will take your word that this 3 litre engine + ZF gearbox is the best, I didn't even consider the others. I agree with you and definitely would not recommend someone to get an 8 year old German if you are planning to run to the authorized service centre for everything. It simply wont work. Other than fleecing you, most service centres are disinterested in problem solving and trying to fix older cars. They give ridiculous solutions like replacing the whole steering rack and PS pump because of a faulty O-ring. Even a FNG will take you for a ride as the number of spurious parts like filters and pads available for these German's at places like Kashmere Gate, is no joke. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty, read up manuals, forums and order some stuff from abroad. And even then, there is no guarantee everything will go as per plan, hence spend only what you are comfortable spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Congrats on the acquisition! Is your battery an AGM one or the regular flooded type? Either way, it'd be good to verify that the new battery (and the battery type, if flooded) was coded into the car to ensure the charging profile is correct, else the battery life will be severely reduced.
Thank you for the tips. Yes, I used the Autel scanner to check that the battery type was lead acid and check the capacity as well. I have the bill and warranty card for the battery too. This links shows one how to do it using the Autel tool -

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Congratulations for your purchase! Wishing you lots of happy mile crunching. Car looks in great condition.

Mind asking, why you bought a 2011 diesel model when there is 10 year rule in place? Isn't 15L too much for just 2 years of road worthiness?
Thank you. Small correction in your post, 2 years of NCR road-worthiness. I am not from here, and have lived in Mumbai, Chennai and Gurgaon over the last 9 years, so didn't want to let such a clean car go. My folks stay in Hyderabad, and Dad is into cars as well, so he can use this after 2 years, or I myself maybe working in a different city. There are a lot of options open for me, hence took the plunge.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Bimmer, mate! Love the colour combination (exterior + interior).

Now, I genuinely regret my decision of not going with a 530d 2 years ago (almost sealed the deal on a 2014 530d M-sport done 24k for a mouth watering price). Nothing comes close to the driving experience what the 530d offers; Period. The 3L Inline 6 + ZF8 is a fun tool and it's relatively reliable too.

Except for the expensive service bills (the big 3 aren't meant to be light on the pocket ), there's not much going against the car. Since you're anyways looking to tackle that yourself, that shouldn't pose a problem too.

Happy mile-munching!
Cheers!
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Wow! What a pleasant surprise seeing this car in your garage. I have silently followed all your threads on Civic and more importantly Figo. Figo has been and will remain a car I just can't take my eyes off. Will keenly follow your ownership experience of this beast! I started reading the thread half-wondering when it will start getting modded, and there it was!! I guess this car will also participate in track days at BIC? Will be good to hear how it does.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan! Car looks absolutely stunning in White! all Beemers for that point scores hard against its competitors.

One other thing that i've observed is the fact, in the pre-owned car market, people with nearly 20 big ones prefer Beemers over any other germans. We have a lot of such examples on our forum with Beemers being bought from the pre-owned car market

You being a tech savvy man (inferred from your threads), you've meticulously planned your way through this purchase and has weighed all pros and cons very well.

Quoting some examples here which shows how good BMW products are and they are built to last;

1) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...e-f30-lci.html

2) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-bmw-328i.html (My pre-worshipped BMW 328i)

3) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ped-beast.html (BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast)

4) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...bhp-680nm.html

These are just few examples on our forum whilst out there we have countless of it.

Good luck with it Bhuvan and drive safe my man!
gururajrv is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I have done a few mods to the car like getting a black twin slat grill from the U.K, getting the EGR delete kit from Darkside Tuning U.K, LED reverse bulbs(one had fused so just replaced them with brighter CANBUS LED’s), gloss black wrap on the rear bumper diffuser, front bumper silver whisker, rear-view mirrors and chrome window trim. The stock HID bulbs have become dim, so I had a friend carry down a pair of D1S Osram Nightbreaker Laser. These are waiting to go in, and I will post my observations soon.
Attachment 1877546
Also just remembered that you can't do an EGR delete without doing a DPF delete first. If you only do an EGR delete, your DPF regeneration will stop happening, and your DPF will get clogged up in no time.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ilter-dpf-fap/

BTW, you can monitor your soot and ash levels in your DPF via a free android app - BTool Lite and an el-cheapo OBD2 adapter. For reference, my 34K run 320d has ~9.9g of ash, which means more than 80% of DPF life is remaining, considering they can take up to 60-70g of ash before a DPF replacement (or delete!) is required.

Last edited by d3mon : 21st May 2019 at 11:32.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 11:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Also just remembered that you can't do an EGR delete without doing a DPF delete first. If you only do an EGR delete, your DPF regeneration will stop happening, and your DPF will get clogged up in no time.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ilter-dpf-fap/

BTW, you can monitor your soot and ash levels in your DPF via a free android app - BTool Lite and an el-cheapo OBD2 adapter. For reference, my 34K run 320d has ~9.9g of ash, which means more than 80% of DPF life is remaining, considering they can take up to 60-70g of ash before a DPF replacement (or delete!) is required.
Hey, big thumbs up for all the tips. Do keep em coming. DPF delete will happen in June once the downpipe gets here. We spoke to quantum tuning as well, and they also recommended that we do the dpf delete as soon as possible post the soft EGR delete. The Autel tool informed us that around 17g of soot+ash was there in the DPF and that a regen had happened around 200km before. A manual regen can always be initiated is what I've read, but anyway am not too worried since the dpf is going to go. However, there was one guy on one of the international forums running a remap + soft EGR delete with his DPF for a few years doing manual regens, and he says its all good. I'm getting the Carly BMW adapter and app to keep an eye on things while on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Wow! What a pleasant surprise seeing this car in your garage. I have silently followed all your threads on Civic and more importantly Figo. Figo has been and will remain a car I just can't take my eyes off. Will keenly follow your ownership experience of this beast! I started reading the thread half-wondering when it will start getting modded, and there it was!! I guess this car will also participate in track days at BIC? Will be good to hear how it does.
Thank you. Will definitely take the car on track, more to experience a few RWD slides and have some fun, than to set a blisteringly fast time, which given the weight of the car is not going to happen.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 21st May 2019 at 11:54.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 12:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Bhuvan for the 530d

The car does look great in white & those 535i rims do stand out for sure.

All the best with the car & future mods
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 12:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
7. Gearbox Longevity - ZF recommends an 80K km/8 year gear oil change, BMW says it’s a lifetime fill and will not do the oil change for any car. The kit to do the change is fairly easy and I plan to do this by myself to improve the longevity of the transmission.
Can you provide more information on the gearbox oil change kit? My 525d is reaching 80,000 soon and would like to get it done in the near future.
abhiram7912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 13:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congratulations Bhuvan for the 530d

The car does look great in white & those 535i rims do stand out for sure.

All the best with the car & future mods
Hey Karan, Thank you for your wishes. Glad you liked the alloys, lot of people are egging me on to get something sportier. Your E46 thread made me long for a RWD car, and while I couldn't get an E46(driving that in NCR is illegal anyway), I felt this is a good introduction to the world of RWD goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
Can you provide more information on the gearbox oil change kit? My 525d is reaching 80,000 soon and would like to get it done in the near future.
Hey Abhiram, am attaching the PDF from ZF regarding this transmission. It clearly states that the oil should be changed between 80-120k km or 8 years at the latest.

This link contains pictorial and video instructions on how to change your oil - https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html

The kit can be ordered from ebay UK without the oil and shipped to India directly- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...8AAOSwz8NbewTZ

The oil ZF lifeguard 8 is available in India - https://www.sparesncare.com/index.ph...luid-no-8.html

Hope this helps. Please ensure proper sequencing and torqueing of the bolts is followed. Also, the temperature of the oil during filling needs to be monitored carefully.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZF_SI_Oelwechselkit_8HP_50130_EN.pdf (714.0 KB, 7993 views)
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 14:18   #14
BANNED

How did you manage to get zero dep on an 8-year old car? I haven't found an insurer who'd give me zero-dep on my first-owner 5-year-old Beat for the 6th year even though it has been under the zero dep umbrella for the first 5 years.
MaheshY1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 14:20   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the car! The 530d F10 is a rare specimen and will keep you grinning ear to ear while you take it out for a spin. Buying an 8 year old German car requires courage and personal care. The way you have written down is interesting along with the technical bits.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks