Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 21:04   #1
BHPian

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update

This is my first post on Team-BHP and my first review of the Volkswagen Vento TDI. So please bear with me and pardon if things are not upto the mark.

Disclaimer: This post is going to be very long! I have poured my heart out!

Also, I apologize for the low quality of the pictures. Please click on the picture for better resolution and viewing.

My experience with various cars

Premier Padmini

During the mid 90s, we first owned a white colour Premier Padmini which my dad had bought through the used market. Sadly, I do not have the picture of our car but have sourced it from our forum itself.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-imag0198.jpg

But the car usually sat around as dad either had the office vehicle coming to pick him up or he traveled by auto as he found that more convenient in Mumbai.

I still remember that 2nd and 3rd gear noise which was really music to the ears and I can still feel the same while penning this down.

Well, not getting carried away, my father sold the Padmini as it was just sitting around because of which battery was always dead whenever we wanted to take it out.

Dont remember the exact year but I do remember that we spent a good amount of time without having a car in the family(around 8-10 years). He had his office vehicle, so there was never a need for having a car.

Maruti Suzuki Swift VXI 2006

Swift came in more to fulfill a purpose rather than a happy decision to buy a family car.

My Father was suffering from a serious illness and was undergoing severe medical sessions from 2008. Getting out of the building and walking to the Auto-Rickshaw stand was also a big task. He handled himself well, but we could make out that it is getting tougher.

Then in 2011, my parents decided that to buy a preowned vehicle and would not invest much in a car.

Came the swift around Dashehra (around October end) 2011.

Sadly, Dad was around only for 1 month after buying the swift, he sparingly drove the swift. He passed away in November end.

Below is a recent picture of our Swift.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-swift.jpg

I would like to point out one thing. After my father's passing, we left the car in its condition for around more than 45 days. When I came back, I did not expect it to start. To my surprise, she started in a single go. It was really a happy moment for me.

The next few years were an emotional roller coaster. Somehow, I graduated in 2014. Engineering exam preparation started and got a job in 2016. Moved to the job location in Silvassa, Dadra and Nagar Haveli.

A senior and now a very good friend of mine, Mr. Harmeet Dhillon I met in the corporation had the 2012 Volkswagen Vento.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_0347.jpg

I used to literally drool over the vehicle. It looked so elegant!

After many days of drooling, One fine day came, when I finally told him with a lot of courage, "Sir, ek baar chala lu kya?". This was when we were returning back from our office which is about 25 km from our home.

Before driving this vehicle, all I had driven was my beaten up Swift (beaten because many people in the family drove it), my grandfathers tank, the Maruti 800 and the 2nd generation swift diesel. So driving the Vento, was really a big big upgrade in my whole driving experience.

As soon as I got in the vehicle, the low sitting position and the steering position appealed a lot to me. Coming from the swift, this felt a lot more comfortable and ergonomic.

Cranked the engine and the typical VW Vento diesel clatter was heard.

Now the tough part came up, when I had to engage the reverse gear. As you all know, the reverse gear is engaged by pushing the gear knob down and then taking it to extreme left to engage. All I could do was slot it onto the 1st gear. Somehow, I got the hold of it and reverse was engaged.

Let me tell you in one word, that after driving the car and parking it, I went home flabbergasted! It just amazed me that:

1. The vehicle which was 5 years old (2011 manufactured)
2. The vehicle which had run more than 1 lakh kms

It still drove so tight and crisp! So stable! So powerful!

To remind you again, all I had driven was the 1.3 G13BB, M800 and the 1.3L MJD of the 2nd gen swift (which I previously called as the torque king), the 1.6 TDI engine felt like a beast with never ending power. That 250 Nm of torque easily pulling even with 5 people on board left me just amazed and jaw dropped. The stability and the heaviness I felt while driving the vehicle enforced so much confidence.

I was overwhelmed. I cannot explain the feeling I was having at that time.

The officers in the company were of the same age group and were great friends and we had only this vehicle to travel around. I got numerous opportunities to drive the vehicle over various roads be it highways or twisties.

This vehicle, the engine, the driving style, the stability grew on me.

Harmeet Sir was kind enough to let me drive it whenever I felt like. Hence, I drove it like I owned it.

Gunned the throttle whenever the road permitted and slowed down in potholes, just like you'd do with your own car.

He bought it from the prewoned market and he got a very good deal over it. The car proved to be very reliable with daily driving of 60 kms.

Thats when I had decided that whenever I will be buying a vehicle, it will be of a VW brand. Period! No questions asked.

My Preworshipped Vento TDI Highline 2013

Came 2018, I was not looking to buy a car back then, but a freindly mechanic of ours who looked after Harmeet Sirs' vehicle told that a Vento TDI Highline in Rocky Beige color was available.

I was not in good finances to buy and was not in the search for one too, but still went ahead to check the vehicle. I had received pictures through whatsapp and the vehicle looked promising. Harmeet Sir, me and 2 other of our friends left for on a Sunday.

We greeted the owner. He was of my father's age. That meant that the car was driven well. After all the initial meeting, we went to the vehicle. The vehicle was parked under his houses shade. That meant that the car was taken care of. Following are the first pictures we saw in flesh.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img20180701wa0003.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img20180701wa0005.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img20180701wa0014.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img20180702wa0006.jpg

The mechanic who also came along took the keys and cranked the car. The car was cold. Harmeet Sir and I wanted to hear the famous clatter of the 1.6 TDIs which they are known for on cold start and we were surprised to hear that the engine was very muted and smooth!

I was already falling head over heels but controlled myself.

The mechanic was driving, Harmeet Sir was sitting in the front and I was sitting at the rear.

Even though the odometer showed around 108000 kms , the car felt solid without any noise/rattles inside the cabin.

The first driving experience:

Harmeet Sir felt very positive about her. Seeing his assurances for the same, my curiosities grew, and was very excited to drive it.

The interior upgrade from Harmeet Sir's car (RCD 310 in his and RCD 320 in mine) felt very good and pleasing to the eyes. The music system and the gear knob were the only changes though but still felt very premium.

As I slotted in the first gear, the first thing I noticed, that the accelerator response from the engine was very smooth. The 1st gen ventos, jerked ahead on the slightest of the accelerator input. The throttle response from these 1st generation is sharper while the 2nd generations' is more gradual. The first gear jerk was not observed here.

Well, we drove our share fully to the top of our stomachs. The car drove perfectly. The acceleration was good. No vibrations were seen inside the cabin. All the oils seemed fine and up to the level.

I would like to mention a small instance over here.

While I was driving, I felt that the 3rd gear acceleration was not as pronounced and punchy as Harmeet Sirs vehicle which is what I exactly wanted. I told Harmeet Sir, " Sir yaar, aapki gaadi jaise wo teesre gear waali baat nahi hai. Punch nahi maar rahi gaadi. Wo maza nahi de rahi." In english, "Sir, this isnt giving that 3rd gear punch like your vehicle. It isnt giving me that fun."

After this statement, the mechanic asked us to stop the vehicle and asked to get on the driver's seat. He slotted in the first gear, and man did he gun the car. The tyres were screeching till the redline in the first gear. There was a decent amount of wheelspin even on shifting to 2nd gear. Slight in the third gear too. I guess he wanted to prove us wrong.

But I was sitting there and was not liking what he was doing to the car. Whether it was to be mine or the previous owners.

Anyways, he did prove that the vehicle had potential and even after putting a lakh kilometers, there was a lot of juice left in it.

The only negative I found out which I will elaborate later on the thread was the slight clunking sound in potholes.

Anyways, the previous owner had quoted a rate quite higher than my expectation. Harmeet Sir made the offer which was quite lower than his quotation. I looked at him and did not want to lose the deal. But he seemed quite confident on the price he had offered. Anyways, having faith in him and having made the offer, we left on a positive note for the vehicle.

I called mom back home, telling her that the vehicle is in good condition. Since, the swift was in a very pitiable condition (story for another thread on her restoration), mom agreed and gave a go ahead. I sent the pictures to my sister and mom and they were happy looking at her.

Finally, later in the evening, we finalized at a midway price and the deal was done.

Now, for the finances, as I mentioned earlier I was not in a good condition. I did not want to take a loan from the company as I had other plans, my friends helped me out at the moment which I later returned.

I was and am happy to have such people in life. Thanks again guys!

The vehicle came home after 2 days after all the formalities. Below is the pic with fellow colleagues/friends post bringing the car to the office. Yours truly taking the picture and Harmeet Sir inside the car.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-20180705_140816.jpg

Positives:

1. Powerful and Torquey Engine. This is the reason why I bought the vehicle. Pulls like a train!
2. Good music system. Slightly lesser bass as per my needs.
3. Elegant and timeless design of the Body. Simply love at first sight.
4. 6 spoke alloy design. Looks aggressive. My personal favorite. Next OEM I like is the Portago alloys design.
5. Great handling and stability at high speeds.
6. Dual tone horn factory fitted from the company. Feels very premium and loud. I make sure to use it sparingly. Doing its job well even after 8 years and 145K kms.
7. Very low body roll when as per my driving experience. Feels stable on turns.
8. Heavy doors and great thud. Confidence-inspiring.
9. No rattles even after 145000 kms and 8 years.

Negatives:

1. Suspension is hard. Due to age and Mileage. Will be replacing soon.
2. Bluetooth needs to be connected manually every time I sit inside. (RCD320 in use. Later upgraded to RCD 330G Plus which is better in this regard)
3. The mirror adjuster button is very flimsy and prone to damage/breaking. I make sure I am very careful in using it. Also sparingly use it.
4. Engine Vibrations felt on the clutch pedal and the accelerator pedal. Vibrations felt on the steering too.
5. Average braking and not very confidence inspiring. This is after I got the oil, discs and pads changed.
6. Engine noise is heard and felt inside during slow speeds.
7. Beige interior requires maintenance and regular cleaning.
8. Gear has become slightly hard to engage but still is tight and there is literally no play.

I wouldn't bug you with the obvious points and repeat them as they have already been covered in posts by other respected members.

I would like to point out my observations post buying and owning the car.

Exterior Shots of the Car

This particular shade is called as Rocky Beige. Scratches are not easily visible to the layman.

Post buying the car I have gone for 2 detailing sessions (1 every year) which has helped in clearing out all minor clear coat scratches and protecting the paint. These pictures are post 2nd detailing session I did on 20th September 2020.

I got the detailing done at Radiant Detailers in Vapi.

Asim (the owner) cleared all my queries and curiosities regarding the detailing job.

He and his team really did a great job.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Radiant Detailers.

I apologize for the high contrast of the Pictures but this is the basic setting on my One Plus 7T phone. Will post toned down pictures at the end.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-vento-detailed-1.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-vento-detailed-2.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-vento-detailed-3.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-vento-detailed-4.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-vento-detailed-5.jpg

Interiors

The cars interiors are holding up strong. Very good fit and finish. Plastic quality seems built to last but not very premium. Not anywhere have I observed that flimsy material has been used.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-interior.jpg

Previous RCD 320 Setup

Negatives:
- Bluetooth needs to be connected manually from both phone and Stereo everytime you start the car. If you're lucky then your time is saved.
- Sometimes on startup, no sound output comes even though the song is playing on the phone and the same is shown on the screen of the stereo. Either you will have to switch off the car and start it again or sometimes if you mute and then unmute the song, the music starts playing.
- Slightly better than average music quality. Does the work though.

Positives:
- Excellent Build quality. Buttons are holding up good even after these many years. No signs of wear and tear can be observed on the stereo.
- Buttons feel very premium to use.
- Has aged well and can still go strong. Will keep this as a backup incase the RCD 330G Plus gives out down the line.

Current RCD 330G Plus Setup

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-rcd-330g.jpg

The make is of Desay Automotive SV (187A). I always wanted to upgrade from the RCD 320 sighting the above reasons.

Sourced this on Team-BHP classified from a person situated in Bangalore who was selling this. Got a great deal in Rs. 3500.

Shipping charges by DTDC from Bangalore: Rs 1050. A friend of mine was going in for the trouble of sending me this hence, I did not ask him to bargain or look into the prices. I feel this price is exorbitant. Also, it took 5 days to reach me.

Since the RCD 320 uses the ISO connector, I also had to buy a Quadlock to ISO connector (without a CANBUS adapter). Sourced this from Shailendar Choudhary in Delhi. As already mentioned on the forum, he's a busy man and doesn't pick up the phone and reply to messages easily. Somehow, took 3 days to get in touch with him. Paid him an amount of Rs. 1700 (including shipping charges) and he shipped it the very same day. The shipping was prompt from his side post the payment.

Hence, it took a total of Rs. 6250 for completing this setup. It was a simple plug-and-play.

Positives:
- Looks very neat and premium on the dashboard.
- UI feels premium to use and is lightning fast when compared to after-market touch screen stereos.
- Instant Bluetooth connectivity if you are using only one phone to connect all the time.
- Use of telephone and accessing call logs directly from the stereo is a boon. But I would like to mention one thing I observed that, my eyes are off the road for a greater duration now and I am totally conscious about where I am touching. This is a very big drawback I must say. In the RCD 320, I could directly use the stereo without having to take my eyes off the road

Negatives:
- Buttons feel nowhere as premium as the RCD 320. They are not sturdy to press and do not feel premium on pressing.
- I really really miss the Android Auto function which comes in the RCD 340. This function would have made it easier to use the google maps.
- System is heating up. Not that I cannot touch it but I am aware of the same all the time. I have decreased the brightness so that the temperature of the screen remains in check. So far its working well. Touchwood!
- Mirror Link does not work!

Leather Seats

The previous owner took good care of the car. There were no scratches, torn areas, ruffed out seats when I got the car. On the other hand, in the past 42000 kms, I have managed to make the driver seat look slightly old and used.

God knows how the old owner maintained the seats as they were spick and span.

Steering wheel

I am glad that the steering wheel leather has held up for this long. The material has got soft over time and the grip is lesser than new leather.

Steering wheel controls are going strong, but now feel flimsy due to age. Buttons are working fine and doing a great job.

Instrument Cluster

According to me, this is the best instrument cluster design. RPM Meter on the left and Speedometer on the right. Just the way we like it.

Analog style temperature is very missed by me. It lets me know, that yes now the car is heated up and I can now revv her to glory.

Sone pe Suhaga would be the instrument cluster of the Jetta/Passat. Gets everything in the right position. Perfect Design!

Boot Space

Coming from and LPG powered 1st gen Swift, the boot space feels humongous. And we have made ample use of it too.

From transporting 100 KG sacks of grains, filling to the brim with numerous bags, transporting window ACs, we have made use of each and every space available inside the boot.

To conclude, I am extremely satisfied by the boot space available.

Driving Position and ergonomics

Me being the height of 5'11'', I do have slight trouble in getting in and out as the car feels low for my height but once, you're seated everything feels at home.

Everything is within your reach. Be it from opening the left side passenger door or even the rear left passenger side door.

The center console is slightly tilted towards the driver which makes it even better and driver is at ease using it.

Dead Pedal is sorely missed though.

Rear Seat Space and Comfort

Within my group and family, I am the one who takes maximum space while driving.

Even after that, there is an ample amount of legroom and knee room for the rear passengers.

The backrest is slightly more inclined according to me and makes you feel as if the seat has hugged you from behind. A very comfortable position to be in.

I found the thigh support to be adequate enough. Not a trouble maker.

Third-person in the rear seat is not welcome though. The seat design and the hump make it an uneasy space to be in.

Headlights

The stock headlights really need an upgrade. It is difficult driving in night (saying this after driving Harmeet Sirs vehicle). Especially with oncoming traffic with high beams.

The previous owner upgraded the headlight bulbs to 90/100 W with Philips relay and wiring. Good for me! Best bang for the buck. I really dont feel the need to spend thousands of rupees on HIDs/Projectors etc.

Night driving is a breeze now. You will not be left wanting for more illumination.

But now after 2 years of my usage, I think the reflectors have died down. The illumination is not the same as it used to be. I'll have to change the headlights down the line. Will be going for the single barrel setup only as the dual barrel setup illumination is not good as per my needs.

Ground Clearance

This is something I have had to make peace with.

My swift feels like a heavy offroader when compared to the Vento. We never complained in the Swift about the ground clearance even on the worst roads and with 5 people on board.

On the other hand, Vento although scrapes under the rarest of the rare occasions even with 5 passengers, but needs very slow and calculated maneuvering. The only part that regularly gets scraped are the mudguards.

Used the Vento in my marriage for all the works in the village. Never scrapped the under body. But yes, you have to be careful and you won't have any problems.

NVH Levels

Now, this is something the Volkswagens are infamous for.

She has done approximately 145000 KMs. As soon as you start the car, on the outside you will NOT feel or hear any tractor like sound. But on the inside, the crudeness is felt when cold.

If you immediately slot the gear and move, the engine slight knocks and feels uncomfortable like its saying "Thoda ruko zara! Sabar Karo!".

Also, in the mornings if you immediately switch on the AC, as soon as the load comes on the engine. The engine starts sounding like the TATA Indica.

Hence, what Mantra I have used it I let it idle for a good 2-3 minutes in the morning. During this time, I move my Activa from the parking and make way for the car to move out, setup my music system.

Post this, the engine is smooth and no knocking is observed even on switching on the AC. Though the crudeness of the engine gradually lowers down only after 10-12 minutes.

I fuel up the car only from only 1 Reliance Petrol Pump here in my city. Also, during long trips, I accordingly plan my fuel ups with good stations only. Dont want to take chance with those injectors.

Vibrations are observed on the Clutch Pedal, the accelerator pedal and the steering wheel as well. During long journeys, the vibrations on the accelerator pedal does provide some discomfort and my right foot goes numb if I don't take a break.

Same goes with the steernig wheel. Vibrations are present. Will be changing the mounts soon to rectify these vibrations out.

Overall, with the AC blower at minimal speed and light music, the engine note is not heard unless driven hard.

Stability and Suspension

This is where the car shines out.

The stability of the Volkswagens is something other cars are not able to match.

The car feels stable and in grip whether you are driving slow or high triple digit speeds.

It gives you that sensation that the car is planted and in grip.

Also, during acceleration in the first and second gears where the torque is very high, the car doesn't go mad and out of control. The acceleration is crazy, no doubt. But it is also planted, very focussed and precise. There is zero erratic behavior during the acceleration. I wish I could put my point across where.

She is still running on stock shock absorbers. The ride quality has deteriorated if compared to newer models, but nothing sort of to complain about. Highway manners are great. In potholes, you will have to slow down. You will have to respect the age of the shock absorbers. Therefore, gliding over the potholes is not an option here. Things will change when the front and rear shock absorbers have changed.

Braking

I found the braking to be sufficient and not very confidence inspiring even after getting the brake pads, discs and brake oil changed.

2nd set of brake pads were changed at 144000 kms. Discs were skimmed. Still the brakes do not make you feel confident.

Gearbox and Clutch

The gears are now hard to engage. Also, grinding occurs on engaging the reverse gear. To avoid this grinding, I slowly slot the gear into reverse and not immediately.

It is a game of patience.

But the gates and slots of the gear lever are still extremely precise and defined. There is literally no play in the gear lever even after so many kilometers.

Clutch plates (1st Set) are hard to use and are showing their age. Still have some juice left in them though. Will see if it needs an overhaul in the next service.

My legs do start paining in extreme start stop traffic. In normal traffic conditions, I don't have any problems with the clutch.

Air Conditioner

Vento Highline comes with Automatic Climate Control.

The cooling is very good. With 2 people on board, I keep the blower on speed setting on 1 and 24 degree Celsius temperature. I feel extremely comfortable at this setting.

With 4 people, Blower speed is either set to 2 or 3 and a temperature of 22 degree Celsius. No complaints from anyone.

Problem faced with the ACC:

Sometimes, the AC starts blowing extremely cold air even when the temperature is set to high. This leads to bone chilling cooling from the AC. Also, air flow direction motor, which directs the air flow to the legs and windshield stops working.

This scares me as I cannot use the front windshield defogger as the airflow would be stuck over there. The VW workshop says they will have to replace the ACC.

The Jugaad I have done for this is I switch off the ACC before switching off the vehicle and immediately switch on the blower as soon as the vehicle starts. This has helped me in dealing with the problem. In this case, the temperature sensor works fine and doesn't chill my bones.

I did this for 2 years, before I found the AUTO button. Yes! I used the auto function after 2 years of buying this vehicle!

All of my above woes are gone and I do not need to live with that Jugaad. On manual, the controls do give me problems sometimes.

The heart of the Car : 1.6 TDI Engine

The previous owner had already done 108000 Kms when I bought the vehicle.

As per the figures, the car churns out 110 PS and 250 Nm of torque.

As it is evident from above that I primarily bought the vehicle because of the engine performance(torque to be specific) even after knowing about all the injector and water pump issues.

The torque is very very addictive. You will want to gun the throttle to the floor again and again just to get that push in the seat feeling.

Even after 140000 KMs, she still pulls cleanly right from about 1800 RPM all the way to 5500 RPM (dies down a bit in the end though).

So much torque that you can manage to wheelspin in the 3rd gear too. Yes! I have managed to do so. Though it is only for a few milliseconds. Also not advised to do in such a car with so much mileage.

Coming from the Swifts 1.3 NA, the in-gear acceleration just made me immediately fall in love with the engine.

Even with 5 passengers and the luggage in the boot, she pulls really strongly even in the 5th gear during overtakes.

You will never be left wanting for more. The engine is good enough to satisfy the enthusiast in me. (Although, after driving the Jetta, now I have a new target acquisition )

Work Done on the Car Post Buying

1) Immediate change of Brake Pads and Brake discs. Brake oil changed and air bled out from the system.

2) Basic Service at 120000 KMs.

Oil used was Castrol Edge professional.

Air Filter, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter, and Cabin Filter changed.

3) Even after getting the discs and pads changed, there were vibrations during braking. I suspected this to be from a bad steering rack. Although initial not so pronounced, I continued using it till the extent that it was difficult to brake from high speeds.

Also there were clunking noises from the front as I mentioned earlier in the start of the post. This was also because of the bad steering rack.

Took a day off. The following things were changed at 128000 KMs.

- Steering Rack (Worn out Symptoms: Clunking noise over potholes and on moving the steering on standstill)
- Sway Bar Bushes
- Sway Bar Link Rods (Worn out Symptoms: The joints on these are extremely hard. I could move the rod easily by my hand)
- Lower control Arms (Worn out Symptoms: The bushes were found torn when lifted above)

Post the work, the characteristics of the car changed. She felt more planted, no clunking on bad roads, precise steering, and improved cornering stability. I was really happy and satisfied that I got all of the above changed.

4) The ABS Saga :

ABS light came on at 132000 KMs. Checked on VCDS and found that the right side front wheel speed sensor went bad. Changed only that.

After a few days, the ABS light came on again. This time the left side front wheel speed sensor. Post which I got all the three remaining wheel speeds sensors changed.

Again after a few days when I was home for Diwali in Rajasthan, the ABS light came on again! I was pissed off this time. Got it checked again, it showed that the right side front wheel speed sensor was bad. Opened the tyre to find that the sensor was broken. Our mechanic got it changed for free.

But this time the ABS light did not go. Tried a lot of things but finally concluded to be a wiring problem.

One thing I would like to point out here is that, during this rainy season I accidently drove fast through water and a lot of water would have splashed in the wheel well during this.

On reaching home and switching on the car again, the ABS light had gone. But as things dried up, the ABS light came back again. Someone would like to shed some light here please? I have gone to the ASS as well as FNG. No one seems to find the problem.

The ABS light is currently an ongoing problem and has not been resolved yet. I Will update once the light goes off.

5) Basic service at 135000 KMs

Oil used was Shell Helix Ultra 5W40. Nothing to write about. Does the job well.

Air Filter, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Cabin Filter changed.

6) All 4 bearings replaced at 137000 KMs.

7) Servicing at 144000 KMs (did the service earlier as it had been almost 15 months since the last service)

- Basic Service with all Filters changed and oil used is again Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.
- Coolant Flush and change.
- Disc skimmed and brake pads replaced. Used TVS girling which was 450 rupees cheaper on boodmo than the original.
- Caliper pins removed, cleaned and greased.

8) Things planned at next service. (This will be a major one)

- Basic Service. Planning to use Liqui Moly Top Tech.
- Gear Oil change.
- Intake Manifold, EGR Pipe, EGR Valve, Anti shudder Valve complete dismantling and cleaning.
- Either will use Liqui Moly Diesel Additive or Diesel Purge for fuel system cleaning.
- Shock absorbers replacement front and back.
- Timing kit change and all other belts to be changed.
- Clutch to be changed. Although there are no signs of wearing out but I think as preventive maintenance, this would be a good idea.
- Radiator cleaning and Condensor fin cleaning.

If we see the total cost of ownership:

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-overall-costing.jpg

Long Drives done

1) Silvassa to Kota, Rajasthan (and return) with mother during my marriage during which many intercity trips were done.
2) Silvassa to Kota, Rajasthan (and return) solo while going and with wife while returning
3) 1 trip to Mumbai and back.
4) 1 trip to Saputara with Family.
5) 3000 KM trip post Lockdown starting from Silvassa -->Indore -->Kota --> Tonk --> Jaipur --> Tonk --> Kota --> Indore --> Ahmedabad --> Surat --> Silvassa
6) Silvassa --> Kota --> Silvassa.

All of the above trips were uneventful and has this has increased the trust in my car.

Thus proved that the mileage on this car is just a number if taken good care of.

DIY Jobs I do to maintain the car Myself

1. Maintaining the Paint of the car.

Along with the detailing sessions, I make sure that I dont daily clean my car. Yes, daily cleaning results in numerous swirl marks on the car as per my experience. Pressure wash or clean the car with 2 small buckets of water depending on the requirement at the time.

2. Interior maintaining

I clean the interior thoroughly myself only. Avoid letting anyone else do it since pre covid times. Use extremely diluted 3M car shampoo for the pH-neutral attack on the dashboard. Use a simple soft bristle toothbrush to agitate all the dirt in the corners. Does the work satisfactorily. Post cleaning again with normal water, I use the dashboard polish of 3M. Only lasts for a few days but at that moment, the heart is filled with Joy.

3. Maintaining the beige colour Seats

This is one of the toughest jobs. I slightly damp the seats with diluted car shampoo and agitate the places where the seat is dirty. After this, a dry cloth cleaning and then using the leather cleaners (I have recently used Dazlo Leather cleaners. Does the Job.). It is a tough job but very rewarding.

4. Basic Servicing of the car

I have used Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 4L + 1L bought from Amazon at great deals. Both times I have received recently manufactured box only. Also, I have been maintaining a 10000-11000 kms service interval.

Spare parts are bought off boodmo preferably during free delivery days as the delivery charges are sometimes exorbitant.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-service-parts.jpg

5. Engine Bay cleaning

I have to do this on a monthly basis due to the rat menace. I spray diesel all over the engine bay and let it sit for a few minutes. After that, agitating the dirt and then spraying water and simple cleaning with a cloth yields a clean engine bay and I have also observed that the rats have started staying away from the engine post 2-3 washes.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-engine.jpg

2 More VWs in the Group!

Seeing mine and Harmeet Sirs experience with VW, we bought 2 more VWs in our group.

Coincidentally, all four of us who had gone to see my car before buying it are now proud owners of VWs.

1st one is a VW Vento Highline TDI 2012. Going strong without any problems.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-rohit.jpg

Second one is a VW Polo 2014 Highline. This one is going strong too.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-naughty1.jpg

To Conclude

The odometer today stands at 145034 KMs and as you can see the ABS light is on.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-odometer-reading.jpg

I am in awe with this vehicle. The way it drives and accelerates has left me in great admiration for the Volkswagen Brand. I have made a connection with this engine.

I have had my share of problems with the vehicle. But she feels like family member and never have I ever felt that I made a wrong decision by buying a high mileage car and by looking at all the expenses I have occurred. The expenses were justified as I feel they have given their service way beyond their life.

Owning a VW is not easy and uneventful. This is for sure. I have understood this by my own experience. Also, there are numerous videos and dedicated youtube channels of Indian youtubers on the 1.6/1.5 TDI engines. Will try to do atleast the minor jobs the DIY route.

But the driving pleasure this vehicle gives cannot be compared to other vehicles.

I look forward to understanding this vehicle more and look at issues that would later creep up not as problems but as a learning experience and for increasing my own knowledge.

If you reached the thread till here, I sincerely thank you very much for reading my experience. Parting pictures.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-gaon.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-l2.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-l3.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-l4.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-drop1.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-highway.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 27th April 2021 at 06:31.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 06:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 08:37   #3
BHPian

re: My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update

Good post. I saw the post date and thought I accidentally clicked an old thread. Well worth the time invested in reading this.

I’m thinking of buying a VW car in the future but issues like this ABS light problem don’t inspire confidence. My personal preference is a fuss-free experience, which I hope VW can deliver in the future. The car seems like an absolute joy to drive, if you’re prepared to deal with related issues such as this ABS thing you mentioned.
Crow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:13   #4
BHPian

Well written thread! You've poured out each thought and emotion in a pleasant and relatable way!

The Germans know the art of making machines and they do not disappoint. I'm in love with the Vento ever since I saw it and would love to get my hands on one someday.

You seem to be doing a spectacular job of taking care of the car and it really shows. I wish you a minimum of 3 lakh kilometres with this car.

Quick question: Have you ever felt the car running out of breath on a full load? Or even bottoming out?

Sreesh
Sreesh1009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Good post. I saw the post date and thought I accidentally clicked an old thread. Well worth the time invested in reading this.

I’m thinking of buying a VW car in the future but issues like this ABS light problem don’t inspire confidence. My personal preference is a fuss-free experience, which I hope VW can deliver in the future. The car seems like an absolute joy to drive, if you’re prepared to deal with related issues such as this ABS thing you mentioned.
Thank you for investing your time in reading my experience!

Yes, the ABS woes are known, but looking at the mileage of my car, the sensors have given their service.

The other two Ventos in question as still going strong without any ABS issues.

Infact, Harmeet Sirs vehicle (the Silver Vento) has done around more than 170000 kms with only a single sensor change. So I think they are built to last. Atleast in the older generations. Other than that, I do not feel that the engine if taken care of timely will let you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If you find a good one in the preowned market, preferably with low mileage on the Odometer, I would really suggest you to go ahead. Just take care of the injectors by adding fuel additives once or twice a year. Not a big investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Well written thread! You've poured out each thought and emotion in a pleasant and relatable way!

Quick question: Have you ever felt the car running out of breath on a full load? Or even bottoming out?
Thanks for comment!

Trust me, with 5 passengers and the boot filled to the brim, the 1.6 TDI does NOT let you down. You will surely feel the torque in the 5th gear too. But yes, it wont be as pronounced as with a single driver. But you wont be left wanting.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
This is my first post on Team-BHP
Talk about entering in style! Great review, went straight to our homepage today . Thank you for sharing. A long-term ownership like this reveals a lot more about the brand, the car and the dealer network than any Official Review.

As someone who likes to keep cars for long, I straight away jumped to the maintenance part.

Quote:
Work Done on the Car Post Buying
You have guts to buy a used car with a 6-digit odometer. My personal limit is 50,000 km. But hey, glad it seems to have worked out well for you! Wish you many more pleasurable highway drives and hope to see your car soon in the 200,000 km hall of fame!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Yes I have faced the reverse gear issue too with my Octavia. It is a little fussy with oil though. FE drops by 2 or 3 kmpl with normal oil. Mine is an older 1.9 TDi from 2006. I bought it in 2012 from a company which was phasing it out. The car was actually being kept at a dealer, though.

I was actually about to buy a Fiesta 1.6. But as I had only paid the advance, the dealer had sold it to someone who had paid the full amount upfront. I don't remember the exact price of that car. As this was parked at the entrance, I enquired about it and came to know that it was about 4 and a half lakhs.

I was coming from an early 2000s Maruti Suzuki Esteem. The difference was massive. As this was the Elegance trim level I got full leather seats, leather armrests (both in the front and the back), carpet mats and automatic climate control. I've seen only one, literally one other Elegance trim level Octavia in the 9 odd years I've owned it.

And oh the Auto button in the Automotive Climate Control, it's a boon when you have to get in and drive off quickly. Doesn't work really well with our South Indian summers though. And no I discovered it the day I bought it. I spent a few hours going through all the features after I got it home to CBE. But I have no idea how you didn't use it or even know about it for two whole years.

It was and still is the perfect blend of performance and fuel economy. Hope you have many more happy miles of motoring with your TDi.

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 14:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You have guts to buy a used car with a 6-digit odometer. My personal limit is 50,000 km. But hey, glad it seems to have worked out well for you! Wish you many more pleasurable highway drives and hope to see your car soon in the 200,000 km hall of fame!
Thanks for the comments GTO and I completely agree on your point of view on the high Odometer.

But the following played important role in buying this car:

1) I was already driving my seniors high mileage Vento and all the time spend with the vehicle, I was only gaining more trust on the 1.6 TDI reliability.

2) The previous owner was a very sedate driver and most of his trips were done by his car from Gujarat to Pune.

3) The car felt really solid in terms of driving and there were no major/extreme signs of wear out on the interior and exterior considering the mileage the car had put on which showed that the car was really pampered.

4) And I was somewhere sure that I would not get a vehicle (even with low mileage) which was so much taken care of and less abused exteriors and interiors.

That is why I went ahead with the decision of buying a car with this high mileage.

And Yes, I have had an uneventful ownership, where the car has performed flawlessly every time it required to and will surely take it to the 200,000 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
Y
It was and still is the perfect blend of performance and fuel economy. Hope you have many more happy miles of motoring with your TDi.

Cheers
OctYFAN
Thanks OctYFAN! Actually I was so scared of getting stuck with the airflow on my legs and windshield that I never thought of using the Auto function. One fine day, I took the leap of faith and went ahead. Glad that happened. But happened too late!

Truely, it is the perfect belnd of power and efficiency at the same time. I always prefer taking out the Vento instead of our 2006 Petrol swift mainly because of the Fuel efficiency!
gaurav.kokra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 14:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the Vento!

The 1.6 tdi is a gem. We had a 7 years old rapid 1.6tdi with 1.75 lakh km on the odo. Unfortunately it met with a crash and got totalled (fortunately saving my brother without any injuries whatsoever). If not for the accident , the car would have crossed 200000 km milestone by now. Even at 1.75 lakh km on the odo, the engine felt as good as a new 1.5 tdi.

Modern cars are extremely capable and with proper care and maintenance, 2 lakh km is easy peasy. I owned a maruti ciaz for 5 years, clocking 1.34 lakh km and it was good as new when I sold it. That, by Maruti standards is amazing. So a Volkswagen will serve you even better.

All the best to clock the 2 lakh km milestone!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 16:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
This is my first post on Team-BHP and my first review of the Volkswagen Vento TDI.
Congrats for your first post and an excellent, confidence inspiring write-up

And this coming from my own personal experience of owning the beautiful Vento (mine is a 2015-make TDI with a DSG) for over 82k+ km.

I have seldom come across a Vento owner who is disgruntled, this car is a keeper for sure!

Quote:
Current RCD 330G Plus..
Sourced this on Team-BHP classified from a person situated in Bangalore who was selling this. Got a great deal in Rs. 3500.
330G Plus at just 3500 bucks! Wow, that's a steal!

Quote:
I did this for 2 years, before I found the AUTO button. Yes! I used the auto function after 2 years of buying this vehicle
For a few more Eureka moments, it might help to visit - this thread (Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks)

Quote:
But the driving pleasure this vehicle gives cannot be compared to other vehicles.
Well & truly said, my friend.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 27th April 2021 at 16:56.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:06   #11
BHPian

Very well written thread. Such a pleasure to read and it is obvious that it has been written by someone with good knowledge. Enjoy your car well past the 2 lakh mark.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:27   #12
BHPian

What a well-written review on your used Vento, Gaurav!

Even though the car has run 1.45L Kms, the car still looks good as new! Well, we used to own the same colored Vento TDI, which is of 2012 version(which didn't have blackened headlights and 6 spoke alloys) and was bought pre-owned in 2013 when the car was almost a year old and 13000 Kms run during its purchase! We had clocked 1L Kms in that Vento before we sold it off in the year 2017 when the odo was at 1.12L Kms and had good memories with that car and did 1000 Kms trips for more than a couple of times in this car without any fuss!

Vento is one car, which we still regret selling it off even after we bought a Honda City Diesel and missed that torquey 1.6 TDI engine, which had a punch in the engine! My mom loved the Vento for its driving pleasure and even now, she prefers the Vento over the Honda City! Though Honda City scores more in terms of space, reliability, and FE, and, to be honest, it's nowhere near to the Vento in terms of drivability and build quality!

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 27th April 2021 at 17:29.
car_guy1998 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 19:33   #13
BHPian

I have special place in my heart for people who drive a VW. Why, I was a VW(Polo) owner myself till December 2020! You have made a brilliant choice, It is a 10/10 car, Lesson i learnt during my ownership was that as long as you pamper your VW & maintain it properly, it will never leave you stranded. Hope you have loads of fun with this one.
adamkathy23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 19:39   #14
BHPian

A really exhaustive and heartfelt review. I think that's the thing about VWs or maybe all German cars. I think that after you've driven a VW, you'd not want to go for anything else. I did not and do not feel the same about the other cars we have owned. Similar to you, I always felt that our Swift was the crème-de-la-crème of hatchbacks. I got a reality check when I drove the Polo GT which I bought knowing all the risks and then some more. That one drive in the Polo was enough for me to become a fan. As destiny would have it one VW begot another and I'm happily munching miles on the Tiggy. Moving from the Polo to the Tiggy was seamless- everything inside the cabin was familiar. I somehow never felt the same about replacing the Swift with another car from the Maruti stables. The Wagon R is a beater for my father which we thought would be cheap to maintain- but it's not and that's a story for another day. The Tiggy does all the highway duties and city duties too, at times, and there is not one time that it has not put a smile on my face when I pushed the accelerator. That car has a soul!
I wish you many more miles and experiences with your VW that you'll cherish for life. Have a good one!
4nd3r50n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 22:14   #15
BHPian

Excellent review for a pre-owned car. The thread itself denotes the amount of research you have done before purchasing the car and diligently doing the maintenance regularly post purchase. Wish manufacturers produce cars that have such drivability and a reliability of a Toyota indeed. Looking forward to read your 2L kms update.
vDragon3 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks