Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 15:18   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!

Nice & well written thread. Beautiful car as well. What do I say about the Zen. I am already smitten and it is still my daily driver. Here she is:

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-1.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-2.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-3.jpg
saket77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 08:10   #47
BHPian

Well, contribution from my side

1997 single owner MH 410 zen which has done a paltry 54,000 kms. Was used by my beloved uncle who passed away in his prime. Has kept the car in his fond memory. Every thing is original except for the side mirror. Car does < 1000 kms a year now.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zen1.jpg  

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zen2.jpg  

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zen3.jpg  

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zen4.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 01:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Of all the cars I have owned, my Zen remains the one with most memories of the childhood. Of course its not as old as yours. Its a 2002 Zen Di, with a 1.5L Naturally aspirated diesel. It was a slouch, unrefined, and noisy, definitely not the choice of an enthusiast. But then the only other diesel was Indica, and the initial versions were terrible. But then this car did 70000kms in 4.5 years, which those days was a lot! Also, diesel was cheaper than Pepsi those days and also the car returned a fuel efficiency of 18kmpl on average.
Hey Aditya! Nice to know that you too like the Zen and also good to know that someone here has owned the Zen Di, quite possibly the rarest variant of the car. The car had the 1.5 litre TUD5 engine made by Peugeot, I believe and it was unrefined and not the best out there. Even initial accents had the same engine. But then again, diesel was cheap and gave amazing FE figures !

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Nice & well written thread. Beautiful car as well. What do I say about the Zen. I am already smitten and it is still my daily driver. Here she is:

Attachment 1927984
Ah Sanket! Good to see you here, lovely car you've got! I've been following the thread since a long time. Might I add that your thread about your Zen, did somewhat contribute to me regaining my craze for the Zen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Well, contribution from my side

1997 single owner MH 410 zen which has done a paltry 54,000 kms. Was used by my beloved uncle who passed away in his prime. Has kept the car in his fond memory. Every thing is original except for the side mirror. Car does < 1000 kms a year now.
Very nice Zen that is! Red if well kept, looks absolutely lovely. Is she still on original paint? You maybe able to find the original side mirror at a scrap market, if you're lucky. That's how I found one for my car.
Also, any idea when the seat upholstery design changed from the black and white chequered design with a felt finish and was replaced by the quirky design fabric ?
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 01:27   #49
BHPian

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-10.jpg
1513 along with a car that is now almost extinct because most of them may have disintegrated over the years, lol. Must say though that this particular Premier 118 NE was very neat.

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-11.jpg
The two Japs Spending some time in the garage, btw they are 10 years apart! While the Zen is a 1995 car, my Toyota Corolla is from 2005. PS:- Excuse the pic quality here.

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-12.jpg
After yet another clean up and vacuum job of the interior. The Console I've put below the dash is an OEM Maruti accessory that I picked up from a scrap market.

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-13.jpg
All Green with a tad of white and silver. Although, the monsoons aren't my or my car's favourite season!

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-14.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-15.jpg

After a quick spin, around the block. Yes , I know the bumpers are faded! Most probably I will have them changed soon or repainted matte black, what do you suggest? But on second thought, I do feel like I should preserve them because faded bumpers= originality
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 14:43   #50
BHPian

[Very nice Zen that is! Red if well kept, looks absolutely lovely. Is she still on original paint? You maybe able to find the original side mirror at a scrap market, if you're lucky. That's how I found one for my car.
Also, any idea when the seat upholstery design changed from the black and white chequered design with a felt finish and was replaced by the quirky design fabric ?[/quote]

Yes, she is still on the original paint. Non metallic paints tend to last longer i guess without any dramatic fade. Black and white chequered along with the black surrounding rim for the rear lights changed around 1996-97 to this chequered fabric. Once again changed during the upgrade to vx.
Old 9th November 2019, 00:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Yes, she is still on the original paint. Non metallic paints tend to last longer i guess without any dramatic fade. Black and white chequered along with the black surrounding rim for the rear lights changed around 1996-97 to this chequered fabric. Once again changed during the upgrade to vx.
The Black surrounding rim for the rear lights was there only from 1993-95. Those lights were made by the Japanese company- Tokai Denso. Cars from September 1995 onwards, like 1513 did not get these taillights. They got the more common ones without the black borders , which were locally made by LUMAX.
Old 15th November 2019, 07:49   #52

Congratulations and welcome to family.

In 2003, i picked up a red September 1995 zen from my dad's friend in Coonoor, Tamil Nadu. It was registered at MH 01s 323 and i had it re-registered to KA12P1881 and use it in Bangalore. Been with me and the family ever since. Clocked 1L a year back. Mostly the original paint is retained barring a spot or two. I have changed a bit of the silencer to give me a little more sound, a smaller steering wheel and a tacho. Seat upholstery remains the original-had to change the roof upholstery a while back. the original steering wheel and silencer is still with me.

It's the love of the family-largely been driven by me. My kids still regularly like to be driven in this car.

Some of the original stickers you have posted still remains in my car too.

Safe driving and happy travels !
Mandax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 15:41   #53

Owning a Zen is an Emotion

In 2018 November I owned Zen 2004 MPFI model, after which I had spent hours of effort to bring the vehicle back to its glory. Got it repainted, did all mechanical works, put new tyres and headlights. Now, feeling very happy to have the "Hot Hatch". Truly, this car is an indispensable asset. It's not about high technology or more power. It's truly that classic experience that you get while driving this car makes it special.

Proud to be the owner of "Zen"
Szen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 00:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandax View Post
Congratulations and welcome to family.

In 2003, i picked up a red September 1995 zen from my dad's friend in Coonoor, Tamil Nadu. It was registered at MH 01s 323 and i had it re-registered to KA12P1881 and use it in Bangalore. Been with me and the family ever since. Clocked 1L a year back. Mostly the original paint is retained barring a spot or two. I have changed a bit of the silencer to give me a little more sound, a smaller steering wheel and a tacho. Seat upholstery remains the original-had to change the roof upholstery a while back. the original steering wheel and silencer is still with me.

It's the love of the family-largely been driven by me. My kids still regularly like to be driven in this car.

Some of the original stickers you have posted still remains in my car too.

Safe driving and happy travels !
It's great to know that the Zen still has loyal owners Would be lovely if you could post some pics of your lovely jellybean !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szen View Post
Owning a Zen is an Emotion

In 2018 November I owned Zen 2004 MPFI model .
Proud to be the owner of "Zen"
Great to know about your Zen! And yes, Zen is absolutely an emotion ! No wonder the little jellybean still has the respect and love of so many people even today ! Some pics of your car would be nice !
Old 16th November 2019, 00:56   #55
BHPian

The annual Mercedes Benz Classic Car Rally was hosted by Autocar India on the 10th of November this year. It was an absolutely spectacular show ! I happened to take good old 1513 there and use it as the chase car to chase the Stars from the Sofitel Bkc to Worli and back and it did so well !

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-17.jpg
Just a random old white Zen with tinted glass being driven around with the AC on !

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-19.jpg
At the Sofitel BKC among all the BMW 7 series and S classes, lol . Taking a Maruti Zen to a posh 5 star hotel in Bombay is a very 90s thing to do lol !

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-18.jpg
With my friend's Mercedes E220 CDi . A very 90s scene of a 5 star Hotel in Bombay !

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-20.jpg
Back home after receiving a cleanup and polish !

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 16th November 2019 at 00:59.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:44   #56
BHPian

When 1513 went out for a night drive!

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-22.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-23.jpg

Also, 8th December 2019 which is a Sunday has been selected as the day to celebrate Classic Maruti Day 2019. The event will be quite awesome just like last year's CME Day :- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ti-models.html (Classic Maruti Day, 2018 - A meet & drive with early Maruti models)

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-21.jpg

If you happen to own an 800, Zen, 1000, Esteem, Omni/Van or Gypsy do come. Entries from all over India are welcome. Spectators are absolutely welcome too. Come see 1513 and many more such cars!

Registrations open for Classic Maruti Day 2019. All details in the form below:

http://bit.do/cmd19

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 24th November 2019 at 11:45.
Old 30th November 2019, 22:13   #57
BHPian

We are now exactly a week away from the Major Classic Maruti Enthusiasts drive (Classic Maruti Day 2019) happening on the 8th of December. 1513 is already pumped up for the day !

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-25.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-28.jpg

A few shots from last year's CME day

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-26.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-27.jpg

If you'd like to witness these cars and more , do come to Horniman Circle at Mumbai by 8.30 am on Sunday- 8th December, 2019.
Old 5th December 2019, 12:20   #58

@BeemerBug_06

Hey,

Shared few pics. Shot at night, excuse for the picture quality.My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zennov20192.jpeg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-zennov2019.jpeg
Szen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 09:27   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post
We are now exactly a week away from the Major Classic Maruti Enthusiasts drive (Classic Maruti Day 2019) happening on the 8th of December. 1513 is already pumped up for the day Mumbai by 8.30 am on Sunday- 8th December, 2019.

Do post some nice pics of the event! Am sure there will be some lovely Gypsy's and Old shape M800 DX's at the event along with some lovely Esteems and Zens!
As a Classic Gypsy owner I cant wait to see the pics. Especially of the Gypsys!
Old 6th December 2019, 10:30   #60
BHPian

There are only 2 days left for the much awaited Classic Maruti Day 2019 and all the cars participating are in the process of getting completely prepped up for the day!

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-29.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-34.jpg

1513 getting ready for the big day! No. The bumpers aren't new, in case you were wondering how they became black again. I have used a plastic restoration solution made by Turtle Wax to temporarily restore the bumpers and it has done wonders

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-32.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-33.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-31.jpg

My 1995 Maruti Zen : Time to go old school!-thumbnail-30.jpg

Finally ! The one magazine I've always wanted to physically see, since I've seen the cover picture time and again on the net for a decade or so! There is an absolute nostalgia trip inside the magazine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szen View Post
@BeemerBug_06

Hey,

Shared few pics. Shot at night, excuse for the picture quality.
Nice Zen you've got there! I assume its a late 2003-early 04' model

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Do post some nice pics of the event! Am sure there will be some lovely Gypsy's and Old shape M800 DX's at the event along with some lovely Esteems and Zens!
As a Classic Gypsy owner I cant wait to see the pics. Especially of the Gypsys!
Absolutely! Your eyes will have an absolute treat soon !

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th December 2019 at 00:03. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks