Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 15:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GTI - Quest for driving joy!

Ah! Good to see your thread Hari. Your GTI and vRS videos are a treat. Having clicked a few myself, I know how the camera just can't capture the G forces taking much of the thrill away. A fast car like GTI needs at least a 3D dashcam, until someone invents recording and playback of the G force!

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad it got you out of your SUV into a hot hatch.

Let's plan a GTI roadtrip to the Himalayas (Sandak fu?)

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th May 2020 at 15:03.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It is always recommended to align your wheels each time you add/modify your suspension bits. The wheel alignment process will correct the camber angle too and will prevent any possible pulling issue.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.

I'm running the same setup on my Abarth right now. Didn't the front B6 suspension (in your Laura) crash really harshly over sharper bumps/potholes? From what I know is that it isn't possible to fit a bump stopper in the front dampers Bilstein B6 dampers which resulted in a rather crashy ride (at least the OE Fiat ones don't fit). Was your experience similar?
The B6 comes with internal bump stops. One way to deal with that is to replace the internal bump stop with a lower density one for comfort that makes it more pliant. At full compression, the bump stop could be around 30% of its initial length(ballpark). One can work backwards and get a length and density that is more comfortable. This is experimental and needs careful procedure to be followed and may not even yield anything.

Having a shorter spring and a longer shock essentially does not allow the shocks to go through their full range of motion.

Last edited by megazoid : 19th May 2020 at 15:38.
megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 17:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
one cant push aside the fact that the DSG allows you to carry so much speed into corners consistently.
This

Lightning fast shifts of DQ200 are such a joy to experience, across croners, in ghats. No MT can come anywhere near this. Pressing the clutch pedal, losing momentum, falling revs, lifting the clutch pedal, regaining the revs...what a waste of time. And rev matching in S mode is absolutely wild If at all someone wants to control the shifts, use the telepathic paddles. DQ200 is an excellent demonstration of how pointless the clutch pedal is!

What a gearbox. Probably, the fastest shifting one in the mass market today.
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 17:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Ah! Good to see your thread Hari.
Let's plan a GTI roadtrip to the Himalayas (Sandak fu?)
Hello Anand,
Thanks! Game. You get some great vistas for a shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This

Lightning fast shifts of DQ200 are such a joy to experience, across croners, in ghats. No MT can come anywhere near this. Pressing the clutch pedal, losing momentum, falling revs, lifting the clutch pedal, regaining the revs...what a waste of time. And rev matching in S mode is absolutely wild If at all someone wants to control the shifts, use the telepathic paddles. DQ200 is an excellent demonstration of how pointless the clutch pedal is!
Love the excitement that you bring! The compact dimensions, agility and an alert gearbox all make it a rather unexpected hero of sorts. Wonderful example for the KOM (King of Mountains) tagline.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 22:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Megazoid, that was a great thread to read! Thank you for sharing your beauty with us.
I loved to see that you've stuck to the VAG and enjoyed your cars a lot. I have to agree, they are the best cars in almost every aspect (I don't drive, I'm only 15 but otherwise they are the Best of The Best)

Please keep sharing your GTI with us.

Thank you
Akashdeep
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 08:36   #36
BHPian

Before the lockdown, after a drive through the hinterlands of Kerala, we arrived at a friends place with ample water. One thing I relaized was how useful this car is in kerala, where the roads are smooth but narrow, vehicle density is high and darting in and out of gaps is the only way to make progress. You need a car that has good acceleration and mid range more than a peaky top end. When one is trying to get past a long line of vehicles, aiming for a gap far ahead, the DSG shines. A few quick downshifts with the paddles, a prod on the gas pedal and you are done. You don't get fatigued in a one hour drive to work like you would otherwise, working the gears and planning overtakes. During nights when the same roads become deserted, the car moves into its healthy mid range to give you a fantastic drive back home after a long day at work. Having your cake and eating it too I say.

A wash in humid country
megazoid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:35   #37

Quote:
Miscellaneous notes

The audio for me is quite ok and I am not discerning enough to comment on the finer aspects of audio quality. I play my music from a USB drive. An AUX port and bluetooth can also act as audio sources. The storage bits in the car are varied. The water bottle recess on the doors can be troublesome in side to side movements of the car say when there are lots of direction changes. I have had bottles fall off into the footwell from both the doors while driving many many times. A bit of a nuisance perhaps. The storage area under the front seat can hold a few small things only. A wallet or cell phone can be stowed away neatly when one is away from the car. The sun visor on both sides have vanity mirrors and they switch on the driver or passenger side lights automatically as you slide open the mirror flap. A good convenience to have. The seats have back pockets that can be used to keep papers or a file or a magazine. But tthe seat fabric is delicate and it is better not to slide rough objects into the back pockets. The lever to make the seats bend forward is also delicate and needs careful handling. Cabin sound insulation is excellent and keeps the noisy exterior at bay quite well.
There is also a small storage on the Passen ger side front leg room space on the trim to keep your valuables .You can pop it out just with your hand .

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th June 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
rooster0660 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:57   #38
BHPian

After being in and out of lockdowns, freedom was a cherished dream and with Bangaloreans not welcome anywhere else in Karnataka thanks to Covid spreading nightmares, it was quite a task to get outdoors and free oneself.

One of those days was quite eventful when a close friend called to check out a GTI that had a racingline stage 1 map, a TVS TCU stage 2+ map, a miltek downpipe, an intake and endless brake pads.

I drove the car and was appalled by the difference the tune and mods had made to the very familiar car. The braking was sensational except that the cost of the pads would make you plough straight into the obstacle than attempt any braking.

I was astounded now a simple stage 1 on 98 RON had provided such a lovely power bump to the car.

So, I come back and plan for a few mods and get a TVS stage2+ TCU tune and a catback exhaust for myself.

Last edited by megazoid : 28th July 2020 at 22:17.
megazoid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:40   #39
BHPian

Went for a drive post the TCU tune and the exhaust fitment and the car felt more engaging with a better sound and shifts. Even thought the power figures are all the same, the TCU tune has made the car use the rpm's better in each gear without shooting up rather quickly. The exhaust is not intrusive and seems a good investment. The claimed power bump of 10hp or so is just placebo.

megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 19:17   #40
BHPian

Did a drive over the weekend with adequate care to get whatever little we could of this year's monsoon. Encountered some extremely good roads and some equally bad sections too. Either ways the lowered car held its ground firmly and managed to overcome the challenges. The lowered setup is great to drive on the good sections but gives a solid hammering in the broken ones. This wasn't an ideal vehicle for an exploratory trip but am happy that it did the job well enough. Mostly used 91 RON for the whole trip of around 1500kms.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th November 2020 at 11:02. Reason: Video link updated as requested
megazoid is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 06:53   #41
BHPian

Nice cinematography, Loved the video.
speedfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
A laura 1.8 TSI Petrol
Attachment 2004565
I must admit, when I first saw this pic of your Laura, I thought it was taken in the middle of a drift!
Cool videos with the GTI as well.
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:11   #43
BHPian

Some pics from a recent drive out in the rains.

VW Polo GTI -  Quest for driving joy!-dsc02465.jpg

VW Polo GTI -  Quest for driving joy!-dsc02538.jpg

VW Polo GTI -  Quest for driving joy!-dsc02356.jpg
megazoid is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 09:36   #44
BHPian

Went for a day drive in slightly damp and wet conditions with friends and encountered quite a lot of slush and muck. It has been a long break for the GTI and this was a good outing. One tankful of 99 RON and a round trip of slightly over 400kms was what we managed to do. Odo is at a healthy 41000km and a service is due soon.

VW Polo GTI -  Quest for driving joy!-dsc06570mod.jpg
megazoid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:41   #45
BHPian

A late night coffee moment.

megazoid is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks